Special Ops Paintball: Looking at used 68/4500 Carbon Fibre - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Looking at used 68/4500 Carbon Fibre But...what is lifetime of carbon fibre tank? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 10 March 2010 - 11:08 AM

He put it up on Kijiji locally...and it says "$80" but he's selling a bunch of stuff because he has to quit.

I highly doubt he wants $80 for all, but that's what it implies.

I asked him for the hydro date just a minute ago, but how long do carbon fibre tanks last before you can't fill them ever again? 10 years?

I'm running a 48/3000 steel tank atm so this sounds like a nice, cheap upgrade :laugh:

#2 User is offline   gibson0822 

• Distraction
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 March 2010 - 06:44 PM

Tanks last 15 years assuming they pass all hydro tests. Hydro testing depends on the tank, some are 3 years, some are 5 years. Check the tank to know for sure. That applies to carbon fiber tanks, steel tanks are forever as long as they pass hydro.

This post has been edited by gibson0822: 10 March 2010 - 06:44 PM

#3 User is offline   TeleFragger 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 10 March 2010 - 06:46 PM

View Postgibson0822, on Mar 10 2010, 08:44 PM, said:

Tanks last 15 years assuming

does that mean 15 years is it?

i bought 2 tanks... 88/45 and 45/45 one is out of hydro in oct and the other 2.5 years... so october one means... 10 years left?
hmm ill be 47... still playing then?? will see...
*********Feedback**** click on a link below
-------Specops-------------MCB

#4 User is offline   Tenacious221 

• ELITE Member, now with matching elite patch!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Tenacious221

Posted 10 March 2010 - 06:56 PM

View PostTeleFragger, on Mar 10 2010, 07:46 PM, said:

View Postgibson0822, on Mar 10 2010, 08:44 PM, said:

Tanks last 15 years assuming

does that mean 15 years is it?

i bought 2 tanks... 88/45 and 45/45 one is out of hydro in oct and the other 2.5 years... so october one means... 10 years left?
hmm ill be 47... still playing then?? will see...

15 years is the lifetime...if the tank's born on date was 15 years ago, no matter what, it is retired.

Depending on how the tank was made, it has to be hydrotested ever 3 years, or every 5 years.

4JJUt6s-fB0

-Tenacious

#5 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 March 2010 - 07:05 PM

View PostTenacious221, on Mar 10 2010, 06:56 PM, said:

15 years is the lifetime...if the tank's born on date was 15 years ago, no matter what, it is retired.

Depending on how the tank was made, it has to be hydrotested ever 3 years, or every 5 years.

-Tenacious

Haha the guy was quick to reply that it needs a hydro...but not how old it is :wub: we shall c cause $80 or less would possibly be a sweet deal

#6 User is offline   TeleFragger 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 10 March 2010 - 07:08 PM

that is a good deal.. i got both of mine for $125 shipped.. so im not complaining...

View Postcdrinkh20, on Mar 10 2010, 09:05 PM, said:

View PostTenacious221, on Mar 10 2010, 06:56 PM, said:

-Tenacious

Haha the guy was quick to reply that it needs a hydro...but not how old it is :wub: we shall c cause $80 or less would possibly be a sweet deal

This post has been edited by TeleFragger: 10 March 2010 - 07:08 PM

*********Feedback**** click on a link below
-------Specops-------------MCB

#7 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 11 March 2010 - 12:56 AM

a bit old...but stilll

dot regs said:

Current 2005 DOT REGS:
HPA tanks
There are blanket rules, and exceptions for the the blanket rules. First, the blanket rules.

1 - All fiber-wrapped tanks are to be hydrotested every 3 years, unless the manufacturer specifically
indicates ON THE BOTTLE that hydrotesting is due at 5 years. All fiber-wrapped tanks have a maximum lifespan
of 15 years, no exceptions.

2 - All steel and aluminum HPA tanks are to be tested every 5 years, with an unlimited lifespan. The only
exception to this rule is for steel tanks stamped 3HT, which must be tested every 3 years and have a 24 year
lifespan.

CO2 tanks

Again, first the blanket rule.

1 - All CO2 tanks (with one exception, see below) must be hydrotested every 5 years, with unlimited lifespan.
The only exception is for tanks under 2 inches in diameter and less than 2 feet in length, these are exempt
from testing. NOTE - Chrome-Moly tanks are NOT exempt from testing!! There is a wide belief in the paintball
industry that they are exempt, they are not, unless they fall under the 2 inch diameter rule. The 2 inch/2
foot rule will apply mostly to 9-ounce tanks.

Exceptions

There are some "E" codes stamped on some fiber-wrapped HPA bottles and chrome-moly tanks. Many people believe
that if their bottle is stamped with an "E" code it means they are exempt from testing, this is not true. It
means that bottle falls under an exemption from the blanket rule in some specification, but that exemption
may or may not address the hydrotest date. Here are the only listed "E" codes for fiber-wrapped tanks on the
DOT site, and how they will affect your bottle.

E-8096 - manufacterer Scott, some CO2 bottles are exempt from ever needing to be tested, for their service
life of 15 years. These are for 16 ounce chrome-moly tanks.

E-07277 - manufacterer SCI, to be tested every 3 years, 15 year service life. This exemption deals with the
manufacturing process, not the hydrotest schedule.

E-09634 - manufacturer Luxfer, to be tested every 3 years, 15 year service life. This exemption deals with
the manufacturing process, not the hydrotest schedule.

E-10915 - manufacturer Luxfer, may be changed to 5-year schedule, this will be explained below.

E-10945, manufacturer SCI, may be changed to 5-year schedulue, as explained below

E-11005, manufacturer Careton Tech, to be tested every 3 years, 15 year service life. This exemption deals
with the manufacturing process, not the hydrotest schedule.

E-11194, manufacturer Careton Tech, may be changed to 5 year schedule, as explained below

E-12479, manufacturer Luxfer, to be tested every 3 years, 15 year service life. This exemption deals with the
manufacturing process, not the hydrotest schedule.

5-year test schedule exemption explained - All these bottles still have a maximum service life of 15 years
from original manufacture. These bottles were originally manufactured under a 3-year retest schedule, but the
manufacturer was allowed by the DOT to move them to a 5-year retest schedule, provided they have been
tested/manufactured after a certain date, as applied below.

For exemption code E-10915, if the last test date was before May 11, 2001 then your bottle is still on the
3-year cycle and must be tested every 3 years. If it shows a test date after May 11, 2001 then your bottle is
now on a 5-year test schedule.

For exemption codes E-10945 and E-11194, your bottle is on a 3-year test schedule if the last test occurred
before July 1, 2001. If your bottle has been tested after that date, you are now on a 5-year test schedule.

"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#8 User is offline   gibson0822 

• Distraction
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 March 2010 - 03:04 PM

Never knew the exceptions. Love new info.

#9 User is offline   Florentine 

• Group: Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 March 2010 - 07:16 AM

If that deal doesn't work out, I have a Pure Energy 68/4500 with hydro of August 2011 that I can sell for $60 plus shipping. Just PM me if your interested.
Hey baby, wanna come over to myspace so i can twitter your yahoo till I google all over your facebook?
Feedback

Becc: "I'm not really a vegetarian, I eat some forms of sausage."

#10 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 March 2010 - 08:40 AM

Sounds like a good deal (without yet knowing when it's lifetime expires :P) but the other guy never answered me (probably because it's lifetime is about to expire and he feels I'm well aware that they can expire)...so I got some extra pods and grabbed a J and J ceramic for use in an upcoming scenario (I've read Flatlines don't work particularly well in freezing temps)!

Sorry :(

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users