• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Computer Problem Nooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!! Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Nom Carver 

• My browser PWNS yours!!!
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 March 2009 - 05:35 PM

Well, my computer is acting weird. Here is what it did a couple days ago: I turn it on, it whirs really fast, and doesn't slow down, (it usually whirs fast, then slows down) then nothing shows up on the screen. I manually reset it and it started working fine. Today it wasn't even off, it was in sleep mode. I pressed a key on the keyboard, and it did the same thing. I manually reset it and it did it's usual whir slow down routine, but it didn't show anything on the monitor. I checked everything. The monitor is plugged into the wall and the computer, there isn't a disk in any of the disk drives. I am currently typing this on my mom's laptop, and my computer is unplugged. So...um...if you could...HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I can't figure it out then it's going to be going out to the computer store down the street...and me will be sad. :laugh:
(\__,,
( x x) <--- This is Bunny if I see him in one more signature...
(")_ -==(")
Dear Tippmann, Clamshells suck. Signed, Friggin everybody - F-3
feedback My How to paint snakeskin how-to; OMG!!!

#2 User is offline   M.O.P. 

• Group: Penquin Mafia ....... no you can't join.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 March 2009 - 05:37 PM

Do you have a virus or something like it that would screw it up or is your system clean?
................ Flippy the Wonder Bunny, Ace and MaDuce like ducks with a passion. My color is white. Morrowind addict.

#3 User is offline   Nom Carver 

• My browser PWNS yours!!!
  • PipPip

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:02 PM

I'm pretty sure that it doesn't have a virus, but there is no way I can check seeing as i can't even turn the thing on.
(\__,,
( x x) <--- This is Bunny if I see him in one more signature...
(")_ -==(")
Dear Tippmann, Clamshells suck. Signed, Friggin everybody - F-3
feedback My How to paint snakeskin how-to; OMG!!!

#4 User is offline   SubMiler 

• Pistolero
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:53 PM

View PostNom Carver, on Mar 16 2009, 07:35 PM, said:

Well, my computer is acting weird. Here is what it did a couple days ago: I turn it on, it whirs really fast, and doesn't slow down, (it usually whirs fast, then slows down) then nothing shows up on the screen. I manually reset it and it started working fine. Today it wasn't even off, it was in sleep mode. I pressed a key on the keyboard, and it did the same thing. I manually reset it and it did it's usual whir slow down routine, but it didn't show anything on the monitor. I checked everything. The monitor is plugged into the wall and the computer, there isn't a disk in any of the disk drives. I am currently typing this on my mom's laptop, and my computer is unplugged. So...um...if you could...HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I can't figure it out then it's going to be going out to the computer store down the street...and me will be sad. :(

Sounds like you need a new hard drive.

#5 User is offline   Dunceb4ll 

• Let's go play with Dynamite!!!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Dunceball

Posted 16 March 2009 - 07:13 PM

Maybe it's your firefox browser :(. JK. How old is the computer? What brand? what model? You have something wrong with the hard drive but you don't need a new hard drive. If its a newer computer you might be able to use the system restore option on the control panel to reset your computer to a previous hard drive state.
THE END IS COMING!!!! AND IT WILL BE UNTIL IT GETS HERE!!!!!!
CAUTION IN THE INTEREST OF SAFETY IT IS ADVISABLE TO KEEP DUNCEB4LL AWAY FROM FIRE AND FLAMES.
Feedback

#6 User is offline   CapnStank 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:CapnStank

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:18 PM

Take out the hard drive and install it as a slave in one of your other computers (or get a professional to). Run a check on the entire harddrive using the manufacturer's diagnostic tool. Basically if you have a Seagate harddrive, go to Seagate's website and get the tool you need. This will tell you if the hard drive has any bad sectors or is damaged in any way.

Another thing to do is possibly check your memory. There are many memory tests available online.

If you find faults in either one of those items you'll probably have to replace them. The 'whirring' you speak of is probably the hard-drive spinning up although I can't understand why nothing shows up on your screen as you typically get a DOS boot screen before anything is really read from the hard drive. When it starts is there a series of beeps? (Post beeps they be called)

If you find no hardware issues then I suggest trying to reinstall your OS. When you have the HD plugged into another PC you should be able to recover any files you want to save by moving them to the master hard drive on that PC.
"Watch out for the guy with the pump, they tend to hit their target."
My BST Feedback: +3/0

#7 User is offline   MurderDeathKill 

• Spot 31
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MurderDeathKill

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:54 PM

Only a few things whirr in a computer. Those are the hard drive, disk drives, and the fan. How's your temperature? A hot computer is an angry computer, and the biggest way you'll know it's hot is that the fan goes bonkers. My laptop has crapped out for that very reason MAAAANY times. Try turning it on again when everything's cold -- if it works, you just found your problem. To keep it from coming back, get better air circulation over the CPU somehow -- move the computer, take off a side-panel, dust, whatever it is you need to do -- keep that comp cool!

If it doesn't work cold, then temperature isn't your issue. A lot of things are solved by a hard restart.... if you haven't yet, try unplugging everything (letting it cool to room temp, of course) and turning it all back on. You'd be surprised at how often that fixes everything. My roommate explained why it works this one time, and it all went over my head. Anyway, if you DO get it to turn on properly again, make sure you run all your "preventive maintenance" programs, like Defragmenting hard drives, BACKING UP your data, diagnostic scans, virus scans... the works. Most importantly, of course, back stuff up. You can't be too safe.

If you still got nothing, it's pretty much limited to a hard drive problem. Follow the advice above and take every opportunity to back up EVERYTHING.
Go Yoda -- I didn't order that!
Posted Image
T-6 A Texan II -- Vance AFB -- 71OTG Ghostriders -- 8FTS Ballers -- Cobra Flight

#8 User is offline   ::SARGE:: 

• ::SARGE::
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Sarge

Posted 17 March 2009 - 12:44 AM

two things...

Your saying nothing comes up on the screen when you turn the PC on. This leads me to believe one of two scenarios.

1) [Least case scenario] Your graphics processor is dieing.
2) [Worst Case scenario] The Mother board has been damaged somehow.

I say this because you will always get a screen seconds after pressing the power button that gives you the option to go into the system Bios. if your graphics card dies, then you wont be able to see it, if the mother board has crapped out, well, you wont be able to see it.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   Pirate 

• I aim to misbehave.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PirateCaptain

Posted 17 March 2009 - 07:46 AM

View PostMurderDeathKill, on Mar 16 2009, 09:54 PM, said:

take off a side-panel,

If you still got nothing, it's pretty much limited to a hard drive problem. Follow the advice above and take every opportunity to back up EVERYTHING.

Actually, taking off a side-panel could make it worse. Cases are designed to create airflow. Taking off a panel may actually take a direct air flow away from the CPU.

I'd have to look at it personally before I could say anything definite. But it does sound either HDD or Video Card related.
My job is to be an asshole. I excel at the position.
We put our glass to the sky and lift up. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya. So raise a pint for the people that aren't with us. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya...
Austin Michelle Cloyd, Forever in my heart. We love you, Ayesha! Rest in Peace Tyler Hackett
Rest in Peace, Dave Brockie! Cam Cam #83

#10 User is offline   MurderDeathKill 

• Spot 31
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MurderDeathKill

Posted 17 March 2009 - 10:29 AM

View PostPirate, on Mar 17 2009, 08:46 AM, said:

View PostMurderDeathKill, on Mar 16 2009, 09:54 PM, said:

take off a side-panel,

Actually, taking off a side-panel could make it worse. Cases are designed to create airflow. Taking off a panel may actually take a direct air flow away from the CPU.

I'd have to look at it personally before I could say anything definite. But it does sound either HDD or Video Card related.

noted, good point. I've used external fans, like, the big ones, to help out in the past, with good happy success. But your knowledge definitely exceeds mine.
Go Yoda -- I didn't order that!
Posted Image
T-6 A Texan II -- Vance AFB -- 71OTG Ghostriders -- 8FTS Ballers -- Cobra Flight

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users