Special Ops Paintball: Paintball tactics - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Paintball tactics What are they?? Rate Topic: -----

Poll: Agree or disagree? (17 member(s) have cast votes)

Agree?

1. Yes (7 votes [43.75%])

Percentage of vote: 43.75%

2. No (8 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

3. I am fail as I haven't read the post (1 votes [6.25%])

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   cowcow2831 

• ME
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Cowcow2831

Post icon  Posted 18 June 2008 - 02:04 PM

So I was thinking about tactics last night. Most people consider modern military tactics to be valid, but they are not. Not only because of the obvious reasons, range and such, but because paintball guns shoot spheres not bullets. So we look into history to see what tactics involve spherical projectiles, and find muskets. But those tactics won't work either, Because nobody is stupid enough to walk in a line towards each other, and because the rate of fire is so greatly increased.
That got me thinking, what tactics apply, Then I realized it is basically Modern warfare with Fast firing muskets. As if History had failed and the bullet had never been invented. So before you can think about tactics you have to accept the above fact, because if you don't you will implement tactics without the right gear, which will degrade the performance.
So do you guys, and gals, agree or disagree or what???

This post has been edited by cowcow2831: 18 June 2008 - 02:05 PM

L.I.P Matt

#2 User is offline   -SMITTY- 

• one of the original 27,731 members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:-SMITTY-

Posted 18 June 2008 - 02:24 PM

perhaps you've never heard of Major Robert Rogers and his Rangers during the Revolutionary war. They were using flintlock muskets, and pretty much owned in fights against the British. They used guerrilla style warfare, meaning they ambushed british columns, and raided camps. They didnt fight in the traditional Napoleonic style. Watch The Patriot to get an idea of the way they fought. They were also the first designated sharpshooters in the U.S. military. If you use google, I'm sure you could find tactics that he used. Modern Military tactics can also be useful in Paintball, such as the art of ambushing, setting up a defensive position, moving in a tactical formation. All the tactics have to be modified slightly to fit our needs, but they are useful none the less.

This post has been edited by -SMITTY-: 18 June 2008 - 02:25 PM

#3 User is offline   M.O.P. 

• Group: Penquin Mafia ....... no you can't join.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 June 2008 - 03:02 PM

Ok i know i know i know this idea has been proposed make some freaking mini balls like in the civil war but filled with paint

mini balls are the type used in the civil war and were very affective to make them work simply make clip fed markers this also could just be used for snipers to make them more accurate and have more range

by the way search mini balls on google they arent actually balls but a football shaped bullet

This post has been edited by Merchant of Paint: 18 June 2008 - 03:03 PM

................ Flippy the Wonder Bunny, Ace and MaDuce like ducks with a passion. My color is white. Morrowind addict.

#4 User is offline   Voky 

• Group: Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:TOP NOTCH

Posted 18 June 2008 - 03:07 PM

View Post-SMITTY-, on Jun 18 2008, 04:24 PM, said:

perhaps you've never heard of Major Robert Rogers and his Rangers during the Revolutionary war. They were using flintlock muskets, and pretty much owned in fights against the British. They used guerrilla style warfare, meaning they ambushed british columns, and raided camps. They didnt fight in the traditional Napoleonic style. Watch The Patriot to get an idea of the way they fought. They were also the first designated sharpshooters in the U.S. military. If you use google, I'm sure you could find tactics that he used. Modern Military tactics can also be useful in Paintball, such as the art of ambushing, setting up a defensive position, moving in a tactical formation. All the tactics have to be modified slightly to fit our needs, but they are useful none the less.

That's what I was thinking. But they (Rogers Rangers) didn't only fight the British, they also fought the French and the Indians.
Lover of Chick-fil-A #1
PM me for a #
Alabamian #1

#5 User is offline   Knightwolf16 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Knightwolf16

Posted 18 June 2008 - 04:16 PM

Paintball is a fusion of different things. Its not just black and white as you are looking at it. Our markers are relatively short range, but we possess greater rates of fire? So do we use todays tactics or tactics from 150 years ago? We have to blend our tactics to fit what we are doiing with what we have.
"Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war." William Shakespeare
Nous sommes les seigneurs de la guerre, tremblons avant nous
The Lords of War The Lords of War on MySpace The Lords of War MSN Group Page

#6 User is offline   BONUSROUND 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:BONUSROUND

Posted 18 June 2008 - 05:17 PM

"Take the high ground", "flank strong holds", and "Don't bunch up" are all tactics that work in paintball. A small well trained group can do wonders against large unorganized groups, by using "tactics". Another tactic is: "A small force can destroy a larger force, if the larger force is on the run" Tactics are what the game is based on! If you toss out tactics then what is left? Line up in a straight line and march across the field?... Oh, wait... that is a tactic.

You can't take tactics away from the game, because the game is tactics.
Audacity is a sword that needs to be drawn from time to time.
http://www.specialopspaintball.com/brigade...ew.asp?id=46213

#7 User is offline   euglow54 

• Bring it...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:euglow54

Posted 18 June 2008 - 05:33 PM

Not all muskets were used in firing lines as you described. In fact, soldiers in the Revolutionary War rarely performed such a feat, as we had fewer numbers and even less discipline.

I wouldn't try to push this "accepting your fact". There isn't much of a need to discuss paintball on this philosophical level.
IPB Image
Kill by Necessity, Capture by Design
"Well, euglow54 might be the exact reason to keep the full head gear... " -Armory

#8 User is offline   prophet_subgenius 

• Colonel, Team Slack Attack
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:prophet_subgenius

Posted 19 June 2008 - 08:44 PM

As with anything paintball developes its on evolving tactics based on field force weather ect. During the "dead ball era" of major league baseball they played alot of base stealing and hit and run to score at all. (The ball was wound differently causing the ball to absorb more impact and thus less home runs) When the "dead ball era" ended Managers ran less and trusted in the Home run to score more. Football is the same way. The West Coast offence saw nearly two decades as the dominate offence in Football, until someone found the way to beat it. The same went for the run and shoot.

We adapt to the needs and requirements of what we are doing in the game of paintball. The tactics alot of teams in the pacific northwest and deep south use are completely worthless when you show up on a field like Herbies Paintball in Fernley Nevada. 88 acres and only man made obsticles for cover. Oh yeah it is laid out across the side of a hill and spotters can see every troop movement no matter how stealth you think you are. Blocking, screening and intersepting are the orders of the day. At night its gett where you are going without silloetting (sp) yourself. Half my team went into culture shock when we first went to Hoskings field in Lebanon Or. Which is best described as a temporate rain forest. It was a real credit to them that they learned the field and adapted within a short couple of hours and by dinner break they where raining chaos right beside the real rain that was coming down.

Tactics in paintball are an amalgom of military and law enforcement tactics. (Much of what alot of scenario teams do is durived from SWAT, CRT, SERT training and tactics) They are also quite simply the methods used to gain success on the field. Obviously they exist because we have success' everyday in this game.
Paintball is a game. Win or lose you still need to wash your camo. Winners just use less soap.

#9 User is offline   Saifoda2 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Saifoda

Posted 20 June 2008 - 01:49 PM

View PostBONUSROUND, on Jun 18 2008, 05:17 PM, said:

"Take the high ground", "flank strong holds", and "Don't bunch up" are all tactics that work in paintball. A small well trained group can do wonders against large unorganized groups, by using "tactics". Another tactic is: "A small force can destroy a larger force, if the larger force is on the run" Tactics are what the game is based on! If you toss out tactics then what is left? Line up in a straight line and march across the field?... Oh, wait... that is a tactic.

You can't take tactics away from the game, because the game is tactics.

That is a nice quote from Sun Tzu -- but don't confuse tactics with strategy. Strategy is the use of forces in large scale, long range planning and development to ensure victory. Tactics is the use and deployment of forces during actual "combat" (we substitute combat for playing in this case of course).

And euglow -- I must respectfully completely disagree with your statement "There isn't much of a need to discuss paintball on this philosophical of a level." My question to you would be "why?" Could not the same thing be said of warfare? "We don't need to discuss this much philosophy -- its easy, just have better weapons, more troops, and shoot the enemy first." Or of business? "it's easy, just make a better product, higher better employees, and make more money" Or of any sport? Say, basketball "it's easy -- just have better players, and score more points."

It's all easy when you talk about it in those terms, and that's probably what a lot of people think and there's not much wrong with that UNLESS you're a commander, manager, coach, etc.... That is often the difference between victory and defeat in many games. Tactics are easy to understand, and knowing what you need to do to win in certain situations is elementary -- if you have a faster gun, better cover, and better skill, yes you're going to win against your opponent.

I will give you this -- the point of this post was somewhat null since most people who know anything about anything (no offense) already know that military tactics do not work EXACTLY the same in paintball (it is the closest thing we have to compare to, but it is not the same) but to say that we don't NEED to think on this level is just, well, irresponsible for players -- commanders in particular.

In my opinion, as Commander it is both useless and even damaging to team moral to try to show what you have learned of this to all your team members -- it wastes valuable time because THEIR job is to go play and win, your job is to give them the circumstances for that victory. I've always accepted my position as Commander as primarily, firstly, and most importantly to be that of getting my players what they need to succeed on the field, and success is defined by having fun first, and then by winning. Having fun comes from my ATTITUDE (lead by example), and winning comes from the training, equipment, and focus I provide. It is not my players responsibility to have to deal with things like buying uniforms (yes they owe money, but there is a long involved process to getting our jerseys and pants and headwraps and all that), getting food for the team, etc.... It is MY (and my subordinate leaders) job to provide those things for the players so that they can focus on what their job is -- playing, having fun, and winning (in that order).

Now, training -- it is my opinion that you train your team in basic paintball skills that are applicable to most environments first, and then you train your team to adapt and overcome, improvise and succeed, and to take initiative -- that should be the goal of every lesson and training session (along with attention to detail and teamwork is key).

We should be able to go to Nevada and play at Herbies and it shouldn't take long for my players to do just what we've trained them to do -- adapt and overcome, improvise and succeed, and take initiative.

BTW for those who are confused by the "inititive" post in this forum, there are two kinds -- battle initiative and command initiative. Battle initiative is making your opponent react to you, and command initiative is subordinate commanders/leaders who take initiative and don't wait to be told what to do. Now, this doesn't mean that if we have a squad on standby that they just go out and start attacking wherever they feel like, but if, say, we have a squad on standby and we say "it'll probably be 10 minutes or so" then without my directive, the squad leader will tell his players something like "who needs paint/air? Who needs to fill up on water?" Things like that. If that squad leader doesn't do his job of ensuring that his players are ready and capable of playing for the mission they are about to go on (which means they need paint/air and water) then I have also failed at my job -- training that squad leader.

Got a little off topic here, but that's okay -- I forgive myself.
Proud to be sponsored by: REDZ, Warpaint International, VPSByte, Action Acres, Dangerous Power
Leaders Lead from the Front

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users