• You cannot reply to this topic

Ion pros & cons

#1 User is offline   TyTy 

• Formerly known as Ty29...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Cpt.Ringo

Posted 24 September 2006 - 12:33 PM

Ok, I have a 98 custom 14" barrel, and a stock for woodsball games which is all I play. I am really looking at buying an Ion because of its electric trigger and the fact that it looks cool. I also really like the feel of tourny guns, when they're tucked in close to your body. I have CO2 though which I heard will break the Ion eventually even with an anti siphon tube. I have a remote too but I guess it doesn't really matter. Here are some questions I have:

1. What are some problems people have had with their Ions?
2. Could you compare the 98 and the Ion (besides shooting really fast) durability,reliability, etc.
3. Is this a good tank to buy for the Ion if I get it? http://www.firstcallpaintball.com/pages-pr...fd963c38a899e20
If not where can I get a good tank to buy for under $50 or close to it.
If you would like to add any comments to this please, please do. This is a big switch for me and I'd like to know as much as possible. I'm pretty tight on money.
-Me :rolleyes:

#2 User is offline   Etch 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 24 September 2006 - 12:34 PM

Cons: They suck

http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERS...CUAAAEF6J8C1HiT

Theres no longer an excuse to buy an ion

#3 User is offline   Fanky 

• You would say that, Walk-on Player...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Fanky

Posted 24 September 2006 - 01:06 PM

^^^ Although I agree a promaster is better than an Ion, both are nice guns.

The Ion does shoot about as fast as a promaster and both have eyes, but it does cost a little less. There's also a bigger aftermarket parts selection for the Ion over a promaster. I don't personally own an Ion, but I have noticed a trend. If you know what you're doing with it and maintain it (friend A who does so), it will be a reliable marker. If you have no clue how to do anything but turn it on (friend B ), it messes up a lot.

This post has been edited by Fanky: 24 September 2006 - 01:07 PM

#4 User is offline   StealingYerMail 

• always throwin bass
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:StealingYerMail

Posted 24 September 2006 - 03:10 PM

Even though I'm considering an Ion, a Promaster is a better choice.

Common problems are the sub-par trigger and the really bad feedneck. You'll need a new feedneck, but you can live without a new trigger. A new feedneck is around $30. I've heard stories about the regulator being bad too, but I don't know too much about that.

The 98C is more durable than the Ion. It just is. But it's not like the Ion will explode if it gets wet or dirty.

An HPA tank under $50 will hold very little air. If you're low on funds, buy a Pure Energy tank for $80. It's 72/30. It's a high pressure tank, but the Ion can still use it. Or buy a used tank.
Maggot #53
MacDev 06 Cyborg, AGD Tac-One
Death before Smart Parts Feedback

#5 User is offline   neocool00 

• Insanity is a state of mind and I'm the governor.
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:NEOCOOL00

Posted 24 September 2006 - 03:48 PM

Ions are durable. I've not read/heard about Ions breaking w/o some servere cases (ramming barrel first into a large rock). The tank you selected won't work w/o a regulator. It's just the tank. With a $50 budget, I'd look at a PE 48ci/3k for $59.95. Actually, you might want to look into this package for $305.99

I like the Ion over the 98 because
...it's more consistent (dual regulator setup when using HPA).
...it's quieter (Ion stock shoots under 200 psi whereas the 98 shoots at 800+psi).
...it's lighter.
...it's more compact.
...it just feels better in my hands as I'm mowing down tangos....muhaha!!!

This post has been edited by neocool00: 24 September 2006 - 03:51 PM

My Feedback: Special Ops : Ion Owners : eBay

#6 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 24 September 2006 - 03:54 PM

The only thing I've noticed as being really bad about the Ion are the reports of the feed neck.

Word of caution: It seems the stock feedneck has Locktite holding it in place.
I've seen several complaints about stripped threads due to forcing the neck off. I do not recall what color Locktite is used. Call SP for help/info.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#7 User is offline   paintslinger99 

• ITS NOT AN ION!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:paintslinger99

Posted 24 September 2006 - 04:03 PM

if i was you id look into a different gun if all you play is woodsball unless you plan on getting one of the different bodies like sith or blackcell (i suggest the sith because it has rails built in and can take SOO many different stocks any that will fit on a 98 custom) but unless you get a body for the ion it wont be as effective in woodsball as even a 98 with response because of so many different reasons

#8 User is offline   Ionix 

• Smart Parts owner #60, ION owner #29
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ionix

Posted 24 September 2006 - 04:43 PM

also that tank that you want to buy is only a tank, you need an other peice to put on it so it can screw into your gun.

#9 User is offline   SilentMarksman 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SilentMarksman

Posted 24 September 2006 - 05:56 PM

Do youself a favor and don't buy a Steel tank like the pmi 72/300. Just save up and get a carbon wrapped tank thats pressurizable to 4500psi. Its wayy worth it.
:)

#10 User is offline   jakethesnake741 

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:mr_incredible

Posted 25 September 2006 - 02:48 PM

View Postpaintslinger99, on Sep 24 2006, 07:03 PM, said:

if i was you id look into a different gun if all you play is woodsball unless you plan on getting one of the different bodies like sith or blackcell (i suggest the sith because it has rails built in and can take SOO many different stocks any that will fit on a 98 custom) but unless you get a body for the ion it wont be as effective in woodsball as even a 98 with response because of so many different reasons

And those reason are? They both shoot paintballs, the Ion is quieter, more consistant leading to better accuracy. The Ion also is able to reach higher bps easier leading to better ability to suppress, more compact and easy to tuck behind cover.

View PostSilentMarksman, on Sep 24 2006, 08:56 PM, said:

Do youself a favor and don't buy a Steel tank like the pmi 72/300. Just save up and get a carbon wrapped tank thats pressurizable to 4500psi. Its wayy worth it.

QFT, I have a 68/4500 tank and it is so much better than the steel 48/3000 tank I had before

As far as how my Ion has prefformed compaired to my m98...I have actually had fewer issues with my Ion than my m98 and as of the last I checked...my 98 has crapped out and won't work but my Ion is still going strong, so I'll let you be the judge of which is going to be more durable.
Bad spellers of the world untie!!!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users