Special Ops Paintball: cant decide which marker to gt, please help me out. - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

cant decide which marker to gt, please help me out.

#1 User is offline   jrm747 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 November 2007 - 08:22 PM

ok, i have come to the conclusuion that i want a new gun. i havent played now in a little over a year. we play woodsball and i remember that most of the guys i played with last year had way faster guns than i did. a buddy of mine was telling me that an ion would be a good gun to go with. i liked the way his shot and all. i am just scared of the durability factor. i cant make up my mind between the a5 x7 or an ion or ion xe. i just wanna be able to shoot a little faster if i get into some games where my team is being out guned by a good team. it was really nice when 9 out of ten players we had all had 98s, but times have changed.

#2 User is offline   Piller 

• Piller
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Piller

Posted 15 November 2007 - 09:35 PM

All of the markers you states can be modified to have insane amounts of fire, to the point at which it doesn't really matter anymore.

The nice thing about the ion is that it has a fairly refined trigger and ability to fire quickly right out of the box. Make sure you use HPA/Nitro or take steps to ensure no liquid CO2 enters your system. Ions are fairly reliable, you can drop them and they wont explode... but their not going to hold a candle up to an automag or Tippmann in terms of reliability.

Don't feel pressured to have the fastest firing marker out there. A little practice can overcome a firepower disadvantage. Players with pump markers make a lifestyle out of it.

You might get a few biased remarks in this section. You will get recommendations for an ion here just like you would get recommendations for a Tippmann in the Tippmann thread.
Automaggot #123 - Pump User #152 - ICE Epic Owner
"Marketing hype in paintball?! The nerve of some people. After all, we paintballers would never throw our hard earned cash into the magic box of marketing hype."

#3 User is offline   focus 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Focus

Posted 15 November 2007 - 09:40 PM

View Postjrm747, on Nov 15 2007, 10:22 PM, said:

ok, i have come to the conclusuion that i want a new gun. i havent played now in a little over a year. we play woodsball and i remember that most of the guys i played with last year had way faster guns than i did. a buddy of mine was telling me that an ion would be a good gun to go with. i liked the way his shot and all. i am just scared of the durability factor. i cant make up my mind between the a5 x7 or an ion or ion xe. i just wanna be able to shoot a little faster if i get into some games where my team is being out guned by a good team. it was really nice when 9 out of ten players we had all had 98s, but times have changed.

Although they had 'faster' markers than your 98 custom, in woodsball the deciding factor of a win or loss is rarely bps related, but usually instead player skill. One exception to this is if you get into a situations where may chop if you attempt to fire too fast, in which case its a royal pain watching your paint curve all over the place until you get a squeege.

It is important to play with a marker your comfortable with, and if your not comfortable what what you have, then I would also agree its time for a change..

Speed:
All of the markers are capable of burning through the paint at a rate that most folks can't afford. You'll need a loader to feed at the max speeds for the IONS, where the Tippmans have a built in loaders that work extremely well. The IONS are a bit more quiet and considerably lighter.

Maintenance:
All of the markers you metioned are well known, and reliable markers.. The ION while needing no more or less maintenance than the other markers, is a bit tougher to work on requiring more disassembly and tools when you do want to do things like lube the o-rings. This is corrected by the ION XE and its bolt out back design.

The Tippman X7 and A5 are a bit easier to strip down in some ways as they don't require alot of tools, but there are alot of moving parts, some of which are fairly small. The IONS have fewer moving parts.

Looks:
Do you prefer the mil-sim look or not? Do you plan to attach accessories that require rails?

If you get a chance, borrow a friends ION and play a game, or at least shoot some rounds at the chrono range. Then do the same with the A5 or X7. As good as all of these markers are, you really can't go wrong.

Work hard, play hard.. In that order.

#4 User is offline   Kemp 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 22 November 2007 - 12:34 AM

I've been using an a5 for about a year now and love it. I'm also in the process of building a kickbutt ion. My a5 is very accurate as I'm using a python kit (like a freak barrel kit but on about 2 inches long) with a 5.5 inch JCS barrel. Most people will tell you to go with a 14 or 16 inch barrel but I have found that a short barrel, although more noisy than a longer ported barrel, is more accurate. Then again Tippmanns or known for being loud anyway. It is a very loud gun but I'm not worried about sound from shooting because I hit what I aim at. I'm getting more into scenerio play is why I'm building the ion as for most scenerio games I have found that ROF is somewhat important. The a5 with e-grip is set at 15bps straight out of the box in full auto. I mostly use semi-auto or response mode with mine. To me the a5 is easier to maintain than the ion just because it is easier to clean and lube.

#5 User is offline   Galihad 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Galihad

Posted 22 November 2007 - 01:27 PM

I find this interesting really I have an A-5 (my first marker) and an ION, and honestly I hate taking apart my A-5 compared to my ION but let me break it down for ya

A-5 disassembly: 7-screws, 4 push pins (not including the extra screw that attaches the front grip

ION disassembly: 5 screws on the outside 3 screws on the inside and removing the eye wires

A-5 cleaning process (complete): removing an extra screw to clean the cyclone, removing internals, cleaning two clamshells of burrs oil etc, oil two bolts

ION cleaning (complete): removing one bolt and greasing said bolt, cleaning any paint off the marker

A-5 reasembly: 8-screws (including the cyclone screw), 4 push pins, and trying to cram all the internals back into the A-5 to include: ball detent, front and back bolt, air tube, back spring, front cocking mechanism and spring, tombstone clip and spring

ION reassembly: 5 screws (two on the grip, three on the outside) 3 internal screws, eye wires re-inserting freshly greased bolt

as you can see the A-5 disassembly is much more involved with many more small parts to loose, and as for the ION needing more tools to take apart the ION requires two screws, the same as the ION.

and this list of disassembly doesn't take into consideration the ION XE which requires 0-1 screw to remove the bolt out of the back.

yes I can admit I'm biased, but I'm biased for good reason. I hope this helps, and good luck in your quest for a new marker
Christian paintballers -beating the hell out of satan with tiny balls-
Sabre #117
My feedback!:click here

#6 User is offline   zapp 

• The Dr. is in.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:zapp

Posted 26 November 2007 - 06:18 PM

I do not own a Tippmann, but almost everyone I play with does (we play woodsball with some close speed-ball style bunkers thrown in), so I have made many observations on the A-5 and C-98. I have an Ion with a BOB body (Powerlyte), low rise feed neck, Firebolt and QEV, so it compares w/ the Ion-XE. When I first showed up with the Ion, everyone was dissing it because "it's not a Tippmann..." "where are the sight rails?" etc... After a year of playing with me, several have swapped out the C-98s for Ions, and most won't go into the bunker speedball section alone if they know I am there, since I can easily out-shoot a C-98 or stock A-5.

At the chronograph, they are equally easy to adjust- I own the chrono, and so I am generally the one doing the checking. C-98s are all over the place velocity-wise, but are easy to adjust (one screw). They are loud, long, but seem to always work no matter what. The A-5s are more stable velocity-wise, but still not as good as my Ion- it is generaly +/- 3 FPS on CO2 with a remote and vertical tank mount. They have a built-in force loader that runs off gas (no batteries to run down) which I think is really cool, and they are low-profile, but long and loud. Both have quite a bit of kick, and are difficult to use one-handed with any accuracy. I often find myself behind very low cover, and shooting one-handed leaves my other one free for support or holding grass and branches out of the way. I don't know about dissasembly or cleaning, but I know a lot of my friends w/ C-98s only put a few drops of oil in the ASA every game and call it good- I do not know if that will work for very long... To clean my Ion takes about a 2 minutes- remove one screw, use the 5/8 hex to unscrew the can and then pull out the bolt, wipe the bolt clean, relube and put it back in. This is even more complex than the Ion-XE, which is a true BOB design.

I have never been unable to play a game because my Ion was not working, so it has proven to be just as dependable as the Tippmanns. I am not particularly careful with it, and play aggressively (lots of running, sliding, crawling, down in the dirt and mud stuff). I have never had any issues at all with my Ion, other than once having the mode set to 3 shot burst rather than semi-auto for one game and not having a screwdriver to take my grips off and change it. One time I put it in ramping mode b/c a guy showed up with an A-5 and a rebound trigger- I could sling just as much paint as he could, with a lot less noise.

One thing I have seen that is not an issue w/ the Ion- Tippmanns use a spring w/ a hammer/sear mechanism. Over time, the hammer/sear will get worn down and have to be replaced- it will happen eventually w/ any sprung blow-back (I have had to replace the sear in my Spyder, StingrayII and Piranha over the years). Ion doesn't have one. It does have a solenoid that can go bad, but being an electro-magnetic part it is very reliable, and not subject to frictional wear.
I would recommend the Ion-XE or an A-5. Both are great markers that can do most anything from sniping to speedball, just depends on your preference. I prefer the smaller, lighter, quieter Ion.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users