• You cannot reply to this topic

Looking for a second gun Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Grimes 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Grimes

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:57 AM

Alright, so I have a seriously modded Tippmann A-5 that I'm totally in love with and would not want to sell. However, it's designed for long scenarios and is a serious pain when playing normal 20 minute walk-on games (it's big and heavy). I'm looking for a light and quiet gun that will give me the ability to run up and bunker someone with agile ease, but also something that can throw paint accuratly downrange (no stub barrels!).

Suggestions?

#2 User is offline   Marauder_Pilot 

• Thrilling Heroics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Marauder_Pilot

Posted 12 September 2007 - 08:07 AM

Get a 'Cocker. They're fast and accurate as hell, and, if you're of the sort that likes to tweak and fiddle with their gear, a 'Cocker will give you endless hours of entertainment tuning it to just how you want it.

#3 User is offline   BobJ99 

• Me
  • Pip

Posted 12 September 2007 - 08:08 AM

I would have to suggest a Shocker if you have access to compressed air. Light, fast and good accuracy with a barrel kit. If not, then why not another A-5 with less mods to lighten it up? Just my 2 cents.
Shocker and stock A-5

#4 User is offline   WoodsBallGeneral 

• Senior
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:FurianSabre

Posted 12 September 2007 - 08:37 AM

I feel your pain. I love using my Recon E5 for scenario style play. I have a shoulder strap to lighten the load and a pack to carry paint and tank. Sometimes though, its nice to ditch the big gun, the pack, the remote, and just grab a little, light-weight easy to use gun. I even have a BE Marauder that's mostly plastic, but weighs next to nothing. Through a 3oz tank on with a 40 ball hopper and it feels like I'm bringing the knife to a gun fight:) Not bad though for a 3 v 3, ten-to-twenty minute game.
Oderint dum Metuant
'let them hate, so long as they fear'

#5 User is offline   Grimes 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 12 September 2007 - 08:47 AM

Any suggestions on an Autococker? I'm looking for something that's decent but won't break the bank...

#6 User is offline   Marauder_Pilot 

• Thrilling Heroics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 September 2007 - 09:08 AM

All of them. :laugh:

Seriously, though, for a beginner 'Cocker owner, I'd recommend the Superstock. I just bought one myself and, for the average price tag (brand new) of $165, it's a rocking little marker. The SF Worrframe takes care of most of the timing with the board, it's got a nice trigger pull (I can do about 8-9 on semi, and 15 on ramping), and, for the price, you can't go wrong! Stick a barrel kit on it and it's good to go.

If you're more of a mechanical person, virtually any mechanical 'Cocker can be had for under $200 (Unless you go for the super-rare versions). The Prostock, which is just a Superstock with a mechanical trigger instead of the electric one, goes for around $100 new. However, there's more tweaking to be done with a mech.

If you want the mech but not all the tweaking, try a Trilogy 'Cocker. They're 'Cocker-Lites-the 3-way is integrated and a lot of the timing is factory-set so you don't have to deal with it.

If you want the ultimate in 'Cocker goodness, try and find a Karnivor, preferably with the ZeroB board or an E2. The Karnivor I'm buying has an E2 and a Stiffi kit, for $600 total, and I would put it against any other marker on the planet without hesitation. It can outrun any hopper out there, and shoots darts-match your paint well and get a good HPA tank and you'll have a marker so fast and accurate you'll never go back to your A-5.

Note: There are 5 variations on the 'Cocker E-Frame. There's the Worrblade and E1, which are basically identical (The E1 was made by Planet Eclipse), which have a fairly standard range of settings, and come standard on the Karnivor, the E2, which is the improved version of the E1, coming with more settings, the Worrframe, which is the standard E-frame shipping now with Superstocks and Black Magics, and the RaceFrame, which is really expensive, fairly rare and comes with every bit of customization known to man and then about 20 more settings.

#7 User is offline   ^!) 

• ...for tomorrow we die.
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 September 2007 - 10:42 AM

KEE Invert Mini... $400, very very very small, little kick, needs compressed air.

Smart Parts Ion... $200, decently sized, needs compressed air and a barrel.

SP Epiphany.... $300, better than the ion, needs compressed air.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

#8 User is offline   SpudCrushr 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 September 2007 - 10:48 AM

Get another tippmann A-5 and mod it to suit your position.. If you do this you can swap parts and barrels with your main weapon. If you buy a (-insert gun other than tippmann A5-) you will not be able to swap parts and that may limit you. Also, what if you are at that big 24hr game and your scenario tippmann instantly breaks in 3 places at once and you can't fix it any time soon, you could just chance out the tippmanns and you will be back up and running in 20-30mins
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   Not_You 

• Lather, Rinse, Repeat as Desired.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:98customizer

Posted 12 September 2007 - 10:54 AM

it depends what your budget is, if it's low, i would recomend an electro spyder, such as a pilot or electra, a little higher, an ion, even higher, maybe a matrix or a shocker, it all really depends on your price range
Group: Banned #2
Pirate - "Seriously, I hope you hit this kid over the head with something very, very heavy. Like a truck."

#10 User is offline   Grimes 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 12 September 2007 - 11:39 AM

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I think I've decided on a Trilogy Comp with an Evolution 3 loader, a PE 3000 psi tank, and a stock 14" ported barrel all for only $265... Think that'll get me by? Think the stock barrel is crap?

#11 User is offline   Marauder_Pilot 

• Thrilling Heroics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 September 2007 - 12:09 PM

For $265, I'd personally hunt around for a used E-Cocker instead. They're just as simple as the Trilogies, but a lot better performers. But the Trilly package is still a very good choice.

However, also take a look at this lot from ANS Gear:
Superstock Autococker-$159.95
Evolution III Loader-$59.95
Cyclone Paintball 47/30 Steel HPA Tank-$39.95
Total: $259.85

#12 User is offline   Z3R0 

• Spontaneous Hate Machine
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Z3R0 (Sledgehammer)

Posted 12 September 2007 - 12:13 PM

That sounds like a good plan. Unfortunately I have no idea of the quality of the stock barrel... luckily, just about every barrel ever made is available in AutoCocker threading.

Oh, and just so you know, many people has problems with the Evlution 3 breaking the feedneck because of the balance and shape, although it's very nice, especially for the price. What size of tank are you looking at?

Also, I would've recommended an AutoMag, but they're hard to get cheap unless you go used, like I did. I got a used Classic Valve/LVL7 bolt in RT Pro body for $100... I love it. Cockers aren't bad, though, and they do have advantages over Mags - for example efficiency, and being easy to convert to pump. But they're also a little harder to maintain than a Mag (then again just about anything is), and need to be timed when you first get it (usually), sometimes occasionally after that. Really, they're both in the category of High End Mechanical (except E-Cockers, although E-Mags can still shoot pure Mech I think), so it's mainly preference.

-Z3R0

EDIT: Oh, looks like Marauder Pilot went and found you a nice deal. With what he's recommending, you'll have a good setup that should last you quite a long time. That looks like a good choice to me.

This post has been edited by Z3R0: 12 September 2007 - 12:15 PM

Posted Image
Lapco Grey Ghost 2008, Classic Automag, PM8, 06 Cyborg

#13 User is offline   Ravenlord 

• I am heavy weapons guy!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:RAVENLORD

Posted 12 September 2007 - 12:25 PM

go for a cocker, a mag, a mini or if you want to spend more money a blazer.
Funny Signatures Involve Effort, and I am lazy.
Automaggot #74
Team Vinidication

#14 User is offline   Marauder_Pilot 

• Thrilling Heroics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 September 2007 - 12:48 PM

The only thing I'd recommend adding to my setup is a barrel kit ('Cockers require a barrel kit to prevent rollouts for small paint, and it's still a good idea to have one anyways), and maybe a drop-forward. Eventually, a new grip or board upgrade later on, but that setup will do good by you for a good long time.

#15 User is offline   Grimes 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 12 September 2007 - 01:00 PM

Wow, nice deal Marauder!!

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic