Special Ops Paintball: You told yourself you would never sell it - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

You told yourself you would never sell it Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   aqua_scummm 

• one half of the wonder that is legaqua
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:aqua_scummm

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:26 PM

That one special marker. Well, maybe more than one, as is my case. Did you ever sell yours? Did you get over it?

I've sold ones that I've said I would never sell before, and for some of them, I regret selling them to this day.

The thing is, it's just a fairly stock minimag. Readily available on the used market. Sure, I got one of the last ones sold new from AGD, sure I still have the box, owners manual, and AO.org member card with it. The barrel is kind of hard to find, but I wouldn't call it rare.

But it was a gift from an ex girlfriend now far removed from the picture, and really, there isn't much special about it. Not like the palmerized hyperframed mag (why did I sell that one???), or the purple/silver phantom (damn was it beautiful).

So I have two markers left. Both were in the "never leaving me" category. One has ALWAYS been there, my silver phantom. It's seen some mild changes, but all in all it's the same marker I bought years ago that brought me back into paintball. The other is a bit newer, but still loved.

So the question is, do I sell the mag to get something more unique, with the knowledge I can always buy another mag (it's not like parts are hard to come by, or even needed ever for most mags)? Do I get that special acid wash phantom, the grey ghost, or a CCM partially funded by betraying a marker I promised to never sell?

I have just gotten back into paintball after a long hiatus. It's a bit hasty to start my old whoring ways again, but I can tell I'll be playing for awhile before I take a break again. So it might be worth it, fiscally. But screw it, this has always been about fun, never responsibility. So diregard those points entirely.

These promises to never sell, lets be honest, are always about sentiment. Which is, pardon my pigfrench, bull crap. There's no logical reason. Sure it may fit you perfectly, shoot like a dream, but if that were it, you would easily trade it in for the next years model if it had some sort of objective upgrade (such as efficiency). Like the mag. It was a gift, it fits me right, shoots well, and is a design that was sold unchanged for over 15 years. That's freaking sweet. And the mechanics of it are freaking sweet too (which means a lot to me, I'm a very mechanical guy). But this mag is only special for two reasons- I'm the only one who's owned it, and the whole gift thing. So really, there's no objective reason that it's better than any other mag. In fact, it's not- the body is kinda scuffed up.

Grr enough ranting.

This post has been edited by aqua_scummm: 19 April 2011 - 11:33 PM

#2 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 20 April 2011 - 12:02 AM

I have two or three markers i swore i'd never sell that i sold. Regret them everyday to this day. :( But oh well. If i searched long enough i could find them. LOL

If you really love it, don't part with it, some markers are hard to get back, even if you make a gentleman's agreement over the sale, like i did, no chance that they will always honor it, like the guy i made mine with didn't. :( SOld it without telling me, changed hands three times before i saw her again. :(

"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#3 User is offline   aqua_scummm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 April 2011 - 12:07 AM

Legato- I knew you have had a few you always said "would be buried" with you... is that one of them (tell me not the camo blazer).

As I was typing that, I knew you would chime in with some first hand wisdom... thanks

#4 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 20 April 2011 - 12:49 AM

I haven't sold the blazer yet, but i have been mulling over it hard the last few months. I just know i will likely never use it again. But i don't want to part with it.

Sold the Excal and WGP VF Tactical that i never wanted to sell. :( Was heavily debating selling the Short N Nasty for a few months but was talked out of it by many people. LOL

"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#5 User is offline   aqua_scummm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 April 2011 - 08:47 AM

Dang, what's keeping you from using the blazer?

I want an AKA :/ Viking vs Excal doesn't really matter, either way I'd be big pimpin

#6 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:18 AM

I'll hold onto that Blazer for a few (dozen) years if you aren't using it - I know, I know... "get in line"

I've been a hoarder my whole life, it's hard to get rid of things for lots of reasons. Though, as I've gotten older I'm noticing way too much stuff around my house & have started to change my feelings about holding onto that stuff. If it matters that much to me I'd use it, if I don't use it then the money I could get for it I could use to do other things. I look at my first marker & think "I'd hate to get rid of that, but it would fund that new mask purchase, plus paint for the next few scenarios" - so then I weigh whether or not I'd rather have a mask I'd use all the time or a marker that sits at the bottom of my gear bin. I'll be selling that marker in the next month, lol.

It's tough, but sometimes holding onto things is holding you back from enjoying other things & you don't even know it.
ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

#7 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:35 AM

I have that problem with musical equipment...

I was really into adding stuff to my drum kit, and bought a guitar over a couple years... but only had serious drum lessons 1 year (the guy I got in 2nd year was a putz) and guitar 3 months (also a putz - didn't even use real musical notes). With school, I never felt like I had time to play with it and my other friends weren't interested in playing with me.

Essentially, I have a starter drumkit... but with upgraded heads, a $300 discontinued cymbal, a $350 high end cymbal, a lower end hi-hat (but I got suckered in cause it's huge and painted black - really different sound but I wouldn't say it's great)... then with guitars I have a cardboard box Washburn I got for Christmas years ago, a 500W Line 6 Amp, a $900 Jackson Guitar, and then I have two uncles who really like music too... but they still get me music stuff though I haven't picked my stuff in a long time.

Ie. double bass pedals I still suck at using, a guitar signed by Kiss guitarist (he had 3 so gave me one, he's notorious for hoarding too) worth a few hundred...

My girlfriend likes music a lot but has slowed down with school (level 8 of 10 pianist, plays clarinet, oboe, etc.) - she thinks I shouldn't sell that stuff but I mean it takes up a fair portion of my folks basement and I highly doubt I could do anything with it when I move into an apartment in a couple years...

Imagine the gear it could fund, even used!

#8 User is offline   IrishMack 

• Better than You
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 April 2011 - 12:36 PM

I have actually never sold a gun, or any piece of equipment for that matter....
"I could be your third wheel."
"You know that's not a good thing right?"
"Of course it is, it adds more grip, greater stability"

"Gives it color he says, it'll look good he says...Filthy liar" (in regards to Puzuma)

#9 User is offline   aslanprime 

• Tippmann Slayer
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ASLANPRIME

Posted 20 April 2011 - 12:38 PM

I have 2 markers for sale (sig) right now.

One of them, the Spyder, I swore I'd never sell. Unlike most "spyders", this was one of the old ones...even before they got into rear-cocking bolts and double triggers. This marker wasn't my first, but it was the first one that "really" meant something where I put a ton of time into it and upgrades and everything. It was my first "learning" marker where I'd learn how markers work by taking that one apart and putting it back together again. When I played, afterwards I would strip that marker down to pieces, clean it, dry it, and re-oil it. And because of that, it shot better than any standard semi-auto mech marker I've ever used. Maybe not as good as my Mags, but more reliable and able to use CO2.

I finally decided to put it up for sale a couple years ago just because I never use it anymore. I kept it around for a long time just in case I was playing outlaw/outback and there were no air fills available...I could get a CO2 fill and use that. But since that rarely ever happened (and I have two pumps in my bag in case it does), I finally just decided to let it go, hopefully to someone that will be able to appreciate it the way I did. I got my 7-9 years out of it, I figure it's time to pass it on.

My dilemma is the price. I originally listed it (and all the stuff that goes with it) for $125 shipped. No takers. Last year I dropped it to $110 shipped, still nothing. A couple people inquired about parting out the 45 frame, but that was it. So then this year, I dropped it down to $90 shipped. But I can't see going much lower than that. I guess I'd rather just hang it on the wall or soemthing rather than just give it away like that.

And really, that's probably why I've never had the seller's remorse you speak of. So many of my markers, when I go to sell them I either get a decent price for them or I don't bother selling them...so that takes care of the remorse a bit. Like, I got a virtually brand new VL Prodigy E-grip. After adding all the VL aftermarket parts, air tank, and EvoII, I probably would want like $300 for it. At least $150. But there's NO WAY it'll go for that. Not a chance. So I'm sure I'll end up keeping that one...use it as a loaner for friends. Maybe someday getting around to putting a Morlock board in it and having it drilled for eyes.
Proto Matrix PM5, Toxic trigger, Shocktech clamping feedneck, Virtue Board, CP On/Off, Dye Dm4 Sticky Grips, 12" Long Shot barrel
Automaggot #26 MY WEBPAGE MY FEEDBACK GUNS FOR SALE MY BRIGADE PAGE CHEAPEST PAINTBALLS ONLINE

#10 User is offline   aslanprime 

• Tippmann Slayer
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ASLANPRIME

Posted 20 April 2011 - 12:48 PM

View PostIrishMack, on 20 April 2011 - 03:36 PM, said:

I have actually never sold a gun, or any piece of equipment for that matter....

• I sold a couple Tiger Sharks.
  • I sold a Spitfire II pump.
  • I sold a 32 degrees Rebel LE
  • I sold a Tippmann Pro-Lite.

Other than that I've pretty much been more of a buyer than a seller.

I don't regret selling any of those. The pumps were cool, but I already had a Brute and once I got a Trracer, I really didn't need those other ones. I've played pump maybe once in the last 5 years, so it's not a big deal.

I never liked the feel of the Pro-Lite. It was dead on accurate, I just hated the feel and how it was put together.

And I DO regret selling the Rebel LE...ONLY because it was the only thing I ever Ebayed where I felt like I might be ripping someone off. The gun worked and was as described, but I left out details about the marker and why I was selling it. In short, that marker was evil and was a complete PILE of #$*@! If you pulled the trigger faster than about 5bps, it would chop balls like a ginsu knife. The design/engineering was HORRIBLE...major blowback issues would force the ball up the feedneck just before firing which led to the shopping. I put countless hours and money into that thing trying to get it to work, polishing, custom o-rings, even bought a warpfeed and adaptor to try and "force" the balls into the breach...but no luck. Finally I just said "screw it. I hate this gun and I'm selling to the highest bidder and don't even care what I get for it."
Proto Matrix PM5, Toxic trigger, Shocktech clamping feedneck, Virtue Board, CP On/Off, Dye Dm4 Sticky Grips, 12" Long Shot barrel
Automaggot #26 MY WEBPAGE MY FEEDBACK GUNS FOR SALE MY BRIGADE PAGE CHEAPEST PAINTBALLS ONLINE

#11 User is offline   Pirate 

• I aim to misbehave.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PirateCaptain

Posted 20 April 2011 - 06:06 PM

I don't sell any of my stuff. If I bought it new, I won't get close to my money back, if I bought it used, I still probably won't make my money back...
I can do other stuff to get money if I really need it.

My job is to be an asshole. I excel at the position.
We put our glass to the sky and lift up. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya. So raise a pint for the people that aren't with us. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya...
Austin Michelle Cloyd, Forever in my heart. We love you, Ayesha! Rest in Peace Tyler Hackett
Rest in Peace, Dave Brockie! Cam Cam #83

#12 User is offline   shadow_772 

• Never compromise, even in the face of armageddon
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Shadow_772

Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:05 PM

SL68 II, Still have it.
Sentimental value.

#13 User is offline   The Hobbit 

• Formerly Shadowlord
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:38 AM

A few years back I traded my nerve for a fusion or something. I hated that fusion with a passion and regretted trading my nerve for it. I contacted the guy I traded with and hounded him till he would trade me back because that fusion didnt feel as right or shoot as smooth as my nerve did. After that I will not sell my nerve for anything less then 500 which I know Ill never get so it stays.
Posted Image

#14 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 21 April 2011 - 05:29 PM

I had a modified 98 custom (who doesn't?) with a dogleg and cyclone, etc... but after you handle it so long and put everything in it yourself, take it apart every other day... it's like an extension of yourself, cheap gun or not. I felt some remorse when I sold it to buy a Tac One... but I know the guy I sold it to so if I ever want to use it it's there!

#15 User is offline   aqua_scummm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 April 2011 - 05:39 PM

And the tac one is like a thousand times more baller than any 98. Not that I can bash 98s too hard, I had a few, and loved them, until I started shooting mags myself (classic valve though), and nelson valved pumps.

Anyways, yeah, my minimag isn't going anywhere. I might get what- $150 total with my barrels and spare parts? $160 if I'm lucky and hold out for awhile? Screw that :/ She's worth more than that to me, even for the little field time she sees.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users