• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

G3 down from cold ?

#1 User is offline   Tomero 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 January 2009 - 10:34 PM

So i went playing outdoors with my DP G3 on the field it was like 6 degrees farenheit i hooked everything up hopper etc, tank. went to shooting range and I turned on my marker, pulled the trigger, nothing happened, gun did not shoot with eyes on or off it did not shot a single ball i dont know what happened but maybe it was from cold ?? i came home hooked up tank and IT WORKED !! i was soo PERTURBED because i had to play with rental -,- on the field, so did any one of you guys experienced this ? or know what happened to my G3 that it did not worked on the field ??

#2 Guest_Cesar_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 27 January 2009 - 10:37 PM

...please tell me you werent using CO2...

#3 User is offline   d4rkmonkey 

• that funky monkey...
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:06 PM

Was the solenoid clicking?
Posted Image
Flickr
Bitches and guns, this is every man's dream. I don't want to go home, where I'm just an ordinary human being...

#4 User is offline   Tomero 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:16 PM

of course i wasnt using CO2 -,-... , no it wasnt clicking but later it was but kind of very quiet and even when it wasnt clicking the light was blinking like normal when shooting.

#5 Guest_Cesar_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:44 PM

it might be possible( though unlikely) that the cold weather effected your battery...try popping your battery in the freezer overnight and try using it in your gun in the morning and see if you have the same problem....

#6 User is offline   Danger Dan 

• Team Desert Edge
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Danger Dan

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:28 AM

The Battery or bad bolt stick. Welcome to spool valve guns. Just make sure you warm it up on the heater in the car next time you play in the cold.

#7 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:01 PM

1. Batteries get weak in the cold and then preform when they warm up. Hence no selenoid click.

2. Bolt stick - hence ABS.

3. Dwell needs to be increased in cold weather.

Sounds like the marker thought you were nuts and it knew better. :D

#8 User is offline   Chaos 

• RagTag Renegade
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Chaos

Posted 28 January 2009 - 08:55 PM

yeah, bolt stick is common with G3s in cooler weather. Once they are shooting, they seem fine, its just getting them going in the cold can be tricky. I found the best thing to do is to unscrew the bolt cap in the back, and move the bolt back and forth with your hand to make sure the lube is smooth and moving. That normally does the trick for me. But with bolt stick you normally get a little "puff of air" sound coming from the marker when you pull the trigger. If it seemed like the noid was not clicking, sounds like a bad battery.

That or your marker was thinking "6 Degrees! Are you kidding me!?"

#9 User is offline   motoguy1251 

• Mustache Afficianado
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:motoguy1251

Posted 28 January 2009 - 08:57 PM

Same here with my gf's g3. mad bolt stick on first shot in real cold weather.
1Ill be on you like white on rice in a glass of milk on a paper plate in a snow storm!!
2Games: Americas Army, Battlefield 2,2142,1942,vietnam,Fear, CSS,Red Orchestra,DOD, Oblivion,GaryMod,more

#10 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Krazy8

Posted 29 January 2009 - 09:57 AM

Honestly the most common problem in markers of this design...over lubrication.

Too much lube in these single tube designs create a resistance....drag. Slows the whole process down, cuases velosity fluctuations, FSDO, and shootdown just to name a few problems.

Add in cold temps and you create an enviroment that simply will not let the bolt move.

With the amount of cleaning most players do th thier guns (or claim to do) there is no needs to slather all the parts up. Yes in comercial air tool applications where your tool rarely if ever get serviced you go bonkers with the lube.
But these paintball guns get regularly torn down and cleaned so a thin film of lube on your orings is just fine.

As for brand...ehh. Everybody has their favorite. Chances are their current fav...ya..it is the one they paid a bunch for.

DOW 33 is the most universal and consistant one I have found. In temps under 20║f it does tend to start caking though...so you must not leave excess in the operating system. If you would like...Smart Parts calls it SL33K. And as such they repacakage it and charge 300% more than the market value of DOW 33.

Many other companies are selling good mixes that work well.

In cold weather...slick hoeny works pretty good but it tends to thin out pretty quick in hot temps and simply not perform well.

Here is a big surprize....I like MacDev Malitia lube! Wow, betcha didn't see that coming. It is a good mix of paste and liquid type oils and has not failed to perform well in the extreme temps I tend to play in. So far we have had our Droids shooting well in cold weather as low as 10║f and as hot as 112║f. In both instances the failures become electrical. 9v batteries simply can not handle the extremes in temps.

Keep your batteries a comfortable room temp. Freezing them just lowers the amperage to a non useable point and over heating them burns out the cells.
If you run into a battery while playing in cold temps that will not operate the gun...save it and test it when warm. Chances are it is still good just too cold to work the gun.

Good luck with cold weather play!

You want a really reliable gun for cold weather...get a pump! :evil:

#11 User is offline   Becc 

• Target
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Beccolter

Posted 01 February 2009 - 09:06 AM

I've had this problem since I got mine... but I've been playing indoor so cold isnt really a possible cause. Got the new reg part, that helped a little... I took it to the gun techs, they say the reg is really finicky and you can overpressurise it by just turning it a half turn. Also, you can accidentally unscrew the reg when youre trying to chrono, and you gotta screw it back in and fiddle a bit. Then of course theres batteries...

but overall, I still really have no clue. It happens so randomly. and im getting sick of it. 5 times a day with the reg part, 7-8 w/o

#12 User is offline   d4rkmonkey 

• that funky monkey...
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 February 2009 - 02:13 PM

View PostBecc, on Feb 1 2009, 11:06 AM, said:

I've had this problem since I got mine... but I've been playing indoor so cold isnt really a possible cause. Got the new reg part, that helped a little... I took it to the gun techs, they say the reg is really finicky and you can overpressurise it by just turning it a half turn. Also, you can accidentally unscrew the reg when youre trying to chrono, and you gotta screw it back in and fiddle a bit. Then of course theres batteries...

but overall, I still really have no clue. It happens so randomly. and im getting sick of it. 5 times a day with the reg part, 7-8 w/o

DP regs are fine... I've never heard of anyone usncrewing the reg when chronoing (since pressure kind of makes it REALLY hard to do that), and the reg breaking with the old part is user error (tightening adjustment screw too much... wish the new reg part fit my f8 though, because then I wouldn't have to worry about it anymore). The only way you could over pressurize it with a half turn is if you were already at a fairly high pressure.
Posted Image
Flickr
Bitches and guns, this is every man's dream. I don't want to go home, where I'm just an ordinary human being...

#13 User is offline   Becc 

• Target
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 February 2009 - 05:08 PM

*shrugs* I'm telling you thats what happened... the reg unscrewed very easily for me, had to take a pipe wrench to it after taking it apart. and it was at 230 and i was turning it down, im assuming that time i cut it off too much. otherwise, it was either at 280 or 300, and velocity wouldnt change no matter how much i turned it.. till it did for one ball then stopped working.

#14 User is offline   d4rkmonkey 

• that funky monkey...
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 February 2009 - 05:28 PM

View PostBecc, on Feb 1 2009, 07:08 PM, said:

*shrugs* I'm telling you thats what happened... the reg unscrewed very easily for me, had to take a pipe wrench to it after taking it apart. and it was at 230 and i was turning it down, im assuming that time i cut it off too much. otherwise, it was either at 280 or 300, and velocity wouldnt change no matter how much i turned it.. till it did for one ball then stopped working.

weird... really weird...
Posted Image
Flickr

#15 User is offline   Becc 

• Target
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 February 2009 - 07:26 PM

yah... im getting ready to bash it against something hard.. like a hammar. gonna call dp eventually and complain i guess. think i just got a bad melon, stuff like that happens. still, point was its not necessarily due to cold since i play indoor and it happens all the time to me... seems like his gun is comin down with mine's flu.

edit: gonna call dp... not the gun... yes hello, g3, why arent you working?

This post has been edited by Becc: 01 February 2009 - 07:27 PM

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users