• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sp-8 or Sp-1 What to choose, what to buy Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Consequences 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 May 2010 - 10:48 AM

So ive been paintballing quite a few times but I always rented my gun and equipment. So I decided to buy either the Sp-8 because I love how realistic it looks to a real gun, but I heard the Sp-1 performance is better, and more durable. So I dont know what gun to go for, especially since im a noob on what to get for my gun. I just wanted everyones opinion, and suggestions to what I should get so I can make my gun very intimidating, looks wise, and performance wise as possible.

Also if you reccommend another gun please feel free to post it on here, I want any gun that is Milsim.

Barrels:
I wanted to have two separate barrels; one for speedball and the other for woodsball. I was thinking about getting the All-American 16" Inch barrel with the Apex tip for woodsball (reference:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6NbIPQLxWY) and the LAPCO 8" Bigshot (Reference http://www.youtube.c...Q0VF5swWM&NR=1) for speedball.

Hopper:
I have no idea what to get for a hopper. But I came across the qloader and I like how it looks when you reload and what not so I think I might get that, but I also want the best hopper for the gun.

Air:
Not a clue what to get.

Other Accessories:
-Im a noob with all of the upgrades but I heard that I should get a
- Blackheart board marker.
- and Id also would like to know what the firebolt, 360 QEV, and Sp-1 Trigger Extension does.

What I defiantly want is an:
-Adjustable Stock
-Mag Light 2 AA Model
- And Some kind of Scope.

I appreciate the help, thank you.

#2 User is offline   Pirate 

• I aim to misbehave.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PirateCaptain

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:55 AM

SP-1 is FAR Superior to the SP-8.
The SP-8 looks cool, but it ends up being huge and impractical. Also, the feedneck on it breaks a lot.

I know a few guys that run SP-1's. Some of them as backups to their Ego's and DM#'s, others as their main rig. Since your new, you don't know about my Smart Parts hate (long story, not important). But I will go out and say that the SP-1 is a great marker, especially for new players. I see you like Mil-Sim stuff, but for your first marker, I might stay away from that. Mil-Sim usually means expensive. Get a solid marker you can play with first, then start looking to upgrade/add on.

Barrels.
Look for a good kit. The Freak system is good (made by Smart Parts), but I don't know if it can take the Apex tip (I have never really looked at it). I personally use a CP 2-piece kit. Really, anything that uses different sized backs or inserts will be fine.

Hopper.
The SP-1 is quick, but it's not blazing fast. You'll do fine with a Viewloader Revolution (typically called a 'Revy'). It feeds a solid 10-12 bps. You could also look at the Invert Reloader 2 or the Invert Too. You can find used hoppers in the Buy/Sell/Trade section for a good price too.

Air.
I'm not positive, but I think the SP-1 (and 8) can use CO2. That being said, you really don't want to. CO2 is not nearly as stable or as "clean" as High Pressure Air (HPA). There are some fields that aren't even carrying CO2 fills anymore. The only problem with this is HPA tanks are either heavy (metal body tanks) or expensive (carbon fiber tanks). However, a quality tank is a good investment. To start, you'd probably want to find a 48/3000 metal tank. They're pretty inexpensive and you can get about 500 shots from one tank. Unless you tend to be trigger happy, that should last you for a couple games. If you tend to shoot a lot, look for something bigger.

Don't start slapping on a bunch of extra stuff just yet. The stock is fine, but you'll probably need a remote line to run your tank to your back, and something to hold that tank (Vest or Pod Pack). The SP-1 has a pretty good stock board from what I understand. I'd suggest if that's what you go with, play with it a little before you buy a new board. As for the other stuff, I can only guess. The Firebolt is probably just an upgraded bolt to make it more "air efficient" and "accurate". The QEV (Quick Exhaust Valve) makes the air flow better inside the marker. And the trigger extension is probably just a double trigger (SP-1 comes stock with a single).

And in all honesty, the mag light and the scope are just about useless. The SP-1 has a center feed neck, so it will block any scopes you use. You can put them on the side rail, but that will be REALLY awkward. Plus, paintballs aren't nearly as accurate as bullets. The most you'll need is a simple red dot, but I'd suggest not even that. I'm not sure why you want a flashlight on your marker either. Do you play in an indoor field that's really dark? If not, it's just something to get shot and break.

My job is to be an asshole. I excel at the position.
We put our glass to the sky and lift up. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya. So raise a pint for the people that aren't with us. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya...
Austin Michelle Cloyd, Forever in my heart. We love you, Ayesha! Rest in Peace Tyler Hackett
Rest in Peace, Dave Brockie! Cam Cam #83

#3 User is offline   Cuy'val Dar  

• 327 G.I.R. Bastogne Bulldogs
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MICHAEL J. CABOOSE

Posted 16 May 2010 - 03:10 PM

Id go with sp1 just for ease of use. sp8 is big and bulky. trust me i know. the sp8 CANNOT use Co2. its an ion in a shell. the sp1 can however but i still recomend HPA. the sp8 is no longer in production. (neither is the sp1 really, but it was still goin when sp closed.)

Sp1 doesnt need external upgrades or internal. works great as is. although it wouldnt hurt to use upgrades mentioned by Pirate. While the sp1 is milsim, its an EXTREMELY solid marker for the price. easy to maintain,
Posted Image

Doorbells? Seriously? That's the swear filter?
. -Pirate
"Authenticity bro, everyone voids their bowels when they die."
-Guy at end of paintball movie

#4 User is offline   Consequences 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:37 PM

I appreciate the help and I took it all into consideration.

I also wanted to add all of the other stuff like scopes, lights, etc. just for the looks to make it look more milsimish I dont like the look of the sp-1 but I want to try to make it look good with the accessories.

#5 User is offline   Cuy'val Dar  

• 327 G.I.R. Bastogne Bulldogs
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MICHAEL J. CABOOSE

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:51 PM

i can appreciate that aspect, but in paintball scopes and sights dont offer much help. albiet, they do offer some.
and each is to his own on looks
Posted Image

Doorbells? Seriously? That's the swear filter?
. -Pirate
"Authenticity bro, everyone voids their bowels when they die."
-Guy at end of paintball movie

#6 User is offline   Pirate 

• I aim to misbehave.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:05 PM

Yeah man, I can appreciate the looks thing. I just didn't want you going in thinking you'd be sniping people out at 150+ feet with one shot. Though, if you play on a large field, the scope can be useful for spotting people. At some scenarios I've actually carried a 4-8x spotter scope to scout positions of the other team when we were going for an objective.
We put our glass to the sky and lift up. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya. So raise a pint for the people that aren't with us. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya...
Austin Michelle Cloyd, Forever in my heart. We love you, Ayesha! Rest in Peace Tyler Hackett

#7 User is offline   Consequences 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:11 PM

Yeah so i finally took it all into consideration I am going to just buy the SP-1 how it is; but I did see this video of this guys SP-1 ( I REALLY want to do this for a hopper with the qloader. I just love the qloader for some reason. I will probably add the extra stuff such as a scope, flashlight later for looks but I REALLY want to do this for a hopper. The only thing im really afraid of is messing it up seeing how im a noobie.

This post has been edited by Consequences: 17 May 2010 - 12:12 PM

#8 User is offline   MikeT 

• "Hay-Zeus" #14
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Jesus14

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:13 PM

I'm actually selling my old Woodsball set-up:

- SP1 w/ clamping feed-neck and double-trigger
- 14" All-American barrel
- PE 48/3000
- RAP4 riser and Adco red-dot
- NXe 4+1
- Remote

I was selling a mask too, but someone already bought it.

Let me know if you're interested!
Boston Reapers / Boston Creapers
Combat Ego10
RAZA'd DM9
My Feedback

#9 Guest_Schecter_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 17 May 2010 - 01:04 PM

Pirate, what do you mean CO2 isn't "clean"? It's pure CO2, HPA is compressed air. Which means all the dirt, dust, water vapor, and one of the most corrosive gasses(oxygen) makes up 20% of it. If anything you can call HPA a dirty gas. However, paintball guns are a lot tougher than people give them credit for.
Problem with CO2 is the liquid, it will freeze Orings and blow solenoids. Which at best is a possibility, however why run the risk.(it's $100 to replace a solenoid plus labor)

Neither gun should run on CO2, but you can get a HPA tank for $30 off actionvillage which is about the same price as a 20oz CO2 tank. It weighs about the same, and the only thing you should be running it on.

Most fields give all day air refills, and it takes about 5-10 seconds to fill an HPA tank. If your field doesn't give all-day-air it's a crappy field and they are ripping you off.

and don't use a remote, the gun is designed to balance with the tank on the back.

This post has been edited by Schecter: 17 May 2010 - 01:05 PM

#10 User is offline   Pirate 

• I aim to misbehave.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 June 2010 - 06:53 PM

Well, even though he's banned...and an idiot...I'll explain. But since I know he can't respond, it will be in a much more helpful and much less sarcastic tone.

CO2 is indeed a liquid. And there's it's problem. See where I put the quotations around the word clean? (Ah crap, there's some sarcasm...). That means I'm not specifically talking about "Not Dirt". CO2 can rust out tanks. This crap gets in your marker. Also, it's no where near as consistent because the liquid won't expand at the same rate per shot.

Basically, it's like running Diesel in a high performance sports car. It'll run, but eventually the engine will get all gunked up.

Schecter...thanks for comin' out.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users