• You cannot reply to this topic

Question about air Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Boonie 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Boonie3

Posted 17 November 2009 - 02:02 PM

i have a question about co2 and hpa. first off i have a tippmann 98c and i am useing 20oz co2 tank. should i change and use a hpa tank? if i do witch tank size would i need? do i need to buy anything special to use hpa. (like a regulator) i am still new to paintball and wont the best for my marker. i dont care about weight or size. Thanks

#2 User is offline   twisted ion 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 November 2009 - 02:30 PM

HPA is simple compressed air and it will work fine on your or any other marker available to you today. You do not need to convert or change over anything on your Tippmann. It is much cleaner than CO2 but also a little harder to get filled if you do not have a local field near you to play at.
Posted Image
www.dmeyerspb.com

#3 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 17 November 2009 - 02:35 PM

Should you? Depends. Do you play a lot in cold weather/extreme temp changes or plan to? If not then CO2 is fine. HPA has an advantage in that it isn't affected by environmental conditions the was CO2 is.

What Tanks size? Also depends. What's your budget? How much paint do you shoot? What pressure fill can you get locally? CO2 has an advantage over HPA in that if you take 2 tanks of identical size, fill one with HPA the other with CO2, the CO2 will get MORE shots.

As for needing anything special... Maybe. Some HPA tanks don't come with a regulator, most do though.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#4 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 November 2009 - 02:50 PM

If you can get air fills, HPA is the cleaner and more consistent way to go.

When you have a Tippmann, it's more a performance issue than marker health though.

As for needing anything with HPA - no. Just make sure it's a high pressure output instead of LP (not as many HPA tank regs are LP these days as they were in the past, but they do exist)

View PostPuzuma, on Nov 17 2009, 03:35 PM, said:

As for needing anything special... Maybe. Some HPA tanks don't come with a regulator, most do though.

Out of my own curiosity, who sells just the tank body without a reg?

I can't think of one offhand. I can think of companies selling just regulators, but not the other way around.
Member of Team Akkadian

#5 User is offline   Puzuma 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 November 2009 - 02:54 PM

Like I said, most do come with a reg. I can't recall a specific site or mfg but I've come across 3 or 4 places that are tank only. Probably those damned "ultra discount" sites.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#6 User is offline   Boonie 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 18 November 2009 - 04:55 AM

how cold is extreme? we do plan to play in the cold weather. the deal is me and my wife and daughter are really getting into the sport of woodsball and right now we need all the pratice that we can get. but i will have to but three tanks and just needed to know if i had to change the markers so they would run on hpa. one of my big issues is you have a guage on the tank to see how much air is left in the tank. and the fields we plan to visit does have co2 and hpa. when we are at homw we will have to run co2 but at the field i would like to run hpa. what is the best size tank for hpa? i tend to think bigger is better but is it really?

This post has been edited by Boonie: 18 November 2009 - 04:56 AM

#7 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 18 November 2009 - 05:14 AM

View PostBoonie, on Nov 18 2009, 06:55 AM, said:

how cold is extreme?

anything under 50* F and CO2 is wonky, HPA is preferred. So for winter play anywhere but the deep south, HPA wins

one of my big issues is you have a guage on the tank to see how much air is left in the tank.

Yes, all HPA tanks have gauges, it is needed for filling them properly. You will burn through the first thousand PSI quick, but the last few thousand PSI will take longer to drain. When you get to 1000 psi or so, refill. Tippmanns run at 850+ PSI, so when your tank is near it, you might start to get shootdown, once you hit 850 psi in the tank, your velocity will drop.

and the fields we plan to visit does have co2 and hpa. when we are at homw we will have to run co2 but at the field i would like to run hpa. what is the best size tank for hpa? i tend to think bigger is better but is it really?

To an extent bigger is better, but if it's too big and cumbersome it sucks to try to rock it on marker.

The general rule for tippmann on hpa is to find shot count off a tank, multiply the CI/CU of the tank by 10 for 3000 PSI tanks, 15 for 4500 PSI tanks, and 20 for 5000 PSI tanks. So a 68/3000 will give you 680 shots, a 68/4500 PSI tank will give you 1020 shots.

HPA tanks can be steel and aluminum, or carbon fiber wrapped (much more costly). 3000 PSI tanks are usually cheap steel or aluminum tanks. They don't hold much air and are heavy. The only plus is that they are cheap. CF wrapped tanks for 3000 psi cost almost twice as much, but are FAR lighter.

4500 PSI tanks and 5000 PSI tanks are only carbon fiber wrapped, but hold far more air and are much lighter. THey just cost much more. If you can afford it i HIGHLY recomend a 4500 psi tank. a 68/3000 and a 68/4500 tank will be the same size, on just holds 50% more air inside.

As to what is a good size. Depends on who is holding it. Most people use 68's. I find them to be too long and prefer 70 ci stubby/peanut tanks. They are as long as a 45 ci tank, but much wider. Smaller people who don't shoot much can get away with a 45 ci tank. If you want huge, then look at a 88 ci tank. Just understand it will be HUGE and cumbersome to rock on the marker, easier to use with remote. If you plan to use it on marker, a 68/70 ci is as big as i would say to get. Using remote, the sky is the limit.

If you got anymore questions, feel freee to ask, not sure if i covered everything

"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#8 User is offline   Boonie 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 18 November 2009 - 07:42 AM

hey thanks for the info. it really helps alot. still have one more question. what do i need to run remote tanks? do they make a kit or do i have to buy a bunch of different stuff? will it work on hpa and co2?

This post has been edited by Boonie: 18 November 2009 - 07:43 AM

#9 User is offline   Puzuma 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 November 2009 - 07:55 AM

All you need to do is get a remote line. Most are rated at 3000psi which is more than you'll need. The output of an HPA tank 850psi and CO2 under normal circumstances doesn't go above 1800psi.

Finding a remote line with a quick disconnect(QD) AND a slide check would be best. Slide check lets you degas the marker without having to reach behind you and shut the tank off. A QD let's you remove the marker from the line with ease so you don't have to carry it every where.
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   Legato 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 November 2009 - 12:30 AM

You will also need to invest in a harness that has a +1 place that is big enough to house the bottle. Some harnesses can only fit a 20 oz, so a 68 would be too big. Others are large enough to fit my old 92 ci tank. So check out the specs on the harness before you buy to make sure it fits your tank, or bring the tank to the store with you and test fit
"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#11 User is offline   Boonie 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 19 November 2009 - 04:23 AM

Thanks for the info. You guys rock!

#12 User is offline   Legato 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 November 2009 - 04:44 AM

No doubt bro. That is what we are here for. Let us know how you like what you get and how the days of play are. :P If you got anything else to ask, as always, feel free to ask away. :P

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users