Special Ops Paintball: Do you Longball? If not, why not? It is REALLY fun! - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Do you Longball? If not, why not? It is REALLY fun! Shooting distance with regular paint. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   FreeEnterprise 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

I've been playing with a Tippmann A-5 and Apex barrel system for years (since they came out) and over the years I've learned the art of longballing. It is a really fun thing to do as hitting players all the way across the field is both shocking to them, and extremely funny to me!

http://blip.tv/trail...50-feet-6515953

I was using my j&j barrel tape modded to my Apex 2 tip set on 4 clicks, and running 280FPS.

Do you longball when you play?

#2 User is offline   Cuy'val Dar  

• 327 G.I.R. Bastogne Bulldogs
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MICHAEL J. CABOOSE

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

I don't longball too much. It's more often than not just a waste of paint. I'm not saying that's all it is, but that's what it ends up being for me. I can only recall one time that long balling really worked for me. I thought it was funny and got a couple "good shot bro"'s, but that was it. Personally, I'd much rather be much closer, and barrel tagging someone. But, that's just me. If long balling is your thing, and you do it well, than kudos to you bro.
Posted Image

Doorbells? Seriously? That's the swear filter?
. -Pirate
"Authenticity bro, everyone voids their bowels when they die."
-Guy at end of paintball movie

#3 User is offline   IrishMack 

• Better than You
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

I prefer close combat for a number of reasons, such as the fact that I waste less paint, I love the skill and stealth it takes to sneak up close, I love barrel tagging, and I am also a flag runner, so I don't sit around longballing that often. Another reason I don't longball a lot, is because to be perfectly honest, if I'm playing hits in the woods...and a paintball barely makes it to me, lightly grazes my shoulder...and I have to call myself out, that sucks...it really PISSES me off..like a lot, and because it ticks me off I try not to do if very often.

That being said, I do on occasion, when bored, longball for the fun of it...for example, we have one part of our field, that is a huge shale pit with 3 levels to it. I will sit at the top ridge, and just kind of throw paint down, chances of me hitting anyone..next to nothing, but it beats just sitting their defending the flag,but for the most part, I try to just kind of shift into a position where i will get more close range action while defending the flag.
"I could be your third wheel."
"You know that's not a good thing right?"
"Of course it is, it adds more grip, greater stability"

"Gives it color he says, it'll look good he says...Filthy liar" (in regards to Puzuma)

#4 User is offline   The Stuntman 

• I feel like I'm taking Crazy Pills!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:The Stuntman

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

Im a compulsive long baller....gotten pretty good at it too. It takes a good feel for your marker to pull off without wasting ammo. I dont depend on distance shots or shoot a bunch at a time, but sometimes just like to see if I really can hit that guy from all the way over here.... B)

#5 User is offline   IrishMack 

• Better than You
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:47 PM

And you are that guy...that I despise.

"Gives it color he says, it'll look good he says...Filthy liar" (in regards to Puzuma)

#6 User is offline   Pirate 

• I aim to misbehave.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PirateCaptain

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:02 PM

I love long ballers. I'm bouncy, so all those shots that do hit me just fall harmlessly to the ground.
My job is to be an asshole. I excel at the position.
We put our glass to the sky and lift up. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya. So raise a pint for the people that aren't with us. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya...
Austin Michelle Cloyd, Forever in my heart. We love you, Ayesha! Rest in Peace Tyler Hackett
Rest in Peace, Dave Brockie! Cam Cam #83

#7 User is offline   IrishMack 

• Better than You
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:21 PM

Yea Pirate...but what about when you are playing bullets? I mean when we are playing breaks, go longball me all you want...they never break.

#8 User is offline   FreeEnterprise 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:03 AM

Breaks depend on paint. I get breaks so often at long range that guys always ask about my paint after they get hit. I got a 300 foot shot on a player at our last event that was so far away, that even with my Apex the paint was just losing speed and dropping, right into his bunker! One hit his hopper and broke! It was an incredible shot, and I couldn't even see him as he was ducked down behind his bunker and I was just dropping the shots where I "thought" he was! (you can see it in that blizzard thread on here).

Shooting long range is very effective team play, as you can drop paint on players who think they are "out of range" but when you hit that player, or the guy next to him, they will scatter, and often go a different direction! So you can clear out a path for your team to attack as people don't just stand around when paint is raining down on their heads!They usually go the OTHER way away from you!

Most everyone at our field uses a backspin barrel system (Flatline or Apex)as you are at a distinct disadvantage without it. Even our speedball players have switched to backspin systems as they were tired of being shot out at long range way before they got into their normal "playing" distance. It really changes the game, and makes player think about their paths as the ones walking in the open are often the ones heading to the deadbox...

#9 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SHIPWRECK!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:29 AM

I love long balling, and close quarters. Probably with a slight lean toward close quarters since I used to specialize in it and dynamic entry. When I first started out I had a h
HEAVY lean toward close quarters, it's extremely exhilarating, and I couldn't long ball to save my life.

But overtime I've gotten quite good at the long shots and it's balanced me quite a bit.

In a game I won't go out of my way to do either, I just aim to win and whichever I most conducive to that end at the time given current circumstances that's what I do. I often wind up doing both in a game. You know, you might be sweeping and clearing a bunker and suddenly find a great shot on a vulnerable player out in the open from a window or doorway. Target of opportunity and all.

When I do find a good longshot opportunity like that I take it. I used to consciously 3 ball to make sure, but later I found myself getting good enough to reliably one shot guys from across the field. Turns out to be mostly thanks to my red dot sight and an accidentally fairly consistent arc. The sight makes it super easy just float that red dot a few feet over someone's head and pull, almost everytimebthe ball falls on them somewhere between the shoulder and hip. Sometimes even gog em with a one ball long shot. It really surprised me when it turned out to be mostly the sight because I've been hearing so damn many aiming naysayers for so long (only in paintball people, only in paintball *shakes head*) I half started to believe them. I run a flatline and a stub nose and I found the barrel doesn't even matter! As far as the accuracy goes. Of course it kills the range when you switch in field and you're chrono'd for the flatline but it plays out like this:

At X range with flatline float red dot 3ft over targets head, hits target in chest.
At X range with stub nose float red dot 5-6ft over targets head, hits target in chest.

Just adjust angle and get same result.

Close quarters is still really fun and I do lean towards it, but even so, I have to admit all my proudest moments in paintball have been one ball longshots. As fun as close quarters is the bottom line is that it's just super easy to hot your targets that close so any given long ball feels like more of an accomplishment.

Which isn't to say I haven't got a couple crazy close quarters stories that make me feel pretty accomplished either haha! But yisss... the long ball is fun
"If they wanna be asinine about this, we'll just be asinine right back."
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#10 User is offline   FreeEnterprise 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:25 PM

Yeah, one shot long balls are the BEST feeling. Especially when you do a bunch in a row! Check out my latest video... Some UNREAL shots in this one. No scopes, no red dots, just muscle memory, Apex 2 tip (set on 4 clicks), good round paintballs, and FUN!

http://blip.tv/trail...ne-kill-6547940

#11 User is offline   Pirate 

• I aim to misbehave.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:49 PM

View PostIrishMack, on 29 January 2013 - 12:21 AM, said:

Yea Pirate...but what about when you are playing bullets? I mean when we are playing breaks, go longball me all you want...they never break.

When I'm what?
If I'm using bullets, it's a whole different game.

We put our glass to the sky and lift up. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya. So raise a pint for the people that aren't with us. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya...
Austin Michelle Cloyd, Forever in my heart. We love you, Ayesha! Rest in Peace Tyler Hackett

#12 User is offline   IrishMack 

• Better than You
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:50 PM

my field calls playing all hits "bullet style" I thought it was the general term.

I get frustrated with longballing when we are playing all hits count and the ball like bounces off my toe from 100 yards away -_- it's annoying.

#13 User is offline   Pirate 

• I aim to misbehave.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:18 PM

That's lame. If I wanted to play all hits, I'd go play Airsoft :P

#14 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:04 PM

View PostPirate, on 16 March 2013 - 02:18 PM, said:

I agree.

I don't long ball because I don't have an apex or flatline. However, if I think someone has stepped just into my range, yeah, I'll pop a few shots and see what happens. :)
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

#15 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SHIPWRECK!

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:41 PM

View PostI.K.E., on 16 March 2013 - 09:04 PM, said:

View PostPirate, on 16 March 2013 - 02:18 PM, said:

I agree.

I don't long ball because I don't have an apex or flatline. However, if I think someone has stepped just into my range, yeah, I'll pop a few shots and see what happens. :)

Meh. I think that's kinda lame.

If you messed up and got hit by a paintball, then you earned your own elimination. You don't deserve a second chance just because the paintball malfunctioned and didn't break. And that is what it is, a malfunction. It represents design limitations of the projectile. If we could make them 100% right then every hit would be a break anyway. If you don't wanna be out then don't get hit. I don't want to be out myself, that's why I try to be better next time and not get hit period, because my idea of skill doesn't involve counting on a paintball to malfunction and not break, it involves counting on myself to be good enough not to get hit by any of them in the first place.

That said, airsoft is lame because you can't tell if you got hit! The guns (the good ones anyway), actually work a lot better, are lighter, more compact, have more streamlined function than our big clunky compressed air lugging paintball guns. It's just too bad they fire weenie little plastic bb's that'll bounce off a light sweater vest without anyone noticing it.

So, me myself, I'm all about IrishMac's bullet style!
Or alternatively, if I wanna be tough or make the game last a little longer, no hits count, including breaks, unless it's a torso or head shot. And then it still takes two to the chest to eliminate!

Skilled game = all hits count
Interesting game = only torso/head shots count + 2 torso shot minimum eliminations + all hits (to that area) still count.
"If they wanna be asinine about this, we'll just be asinine right back."
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users