• You cannot reply to this topic

Cops911/Spec Ops Broadsword Vest **beware - Pic Intensive**

#1 User is offline   Invictus 

• Operator Strike Force
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Invictus-

Posted 10 February 2006 - 05:32 PM

I went seeking an upgrade from my first Cops911 vest (Scout) and found the Broadsword Vest a worthy replacement. While the Broadsword contained alot of what I desired, I wanted a few more "personal" changes made to it.

So I requested that instead of side strap adjustments, that it be made lace up instead:
Posted Image

I also requested some type of pull strap for the rear pods:
Posted Image
I also had name tags added on as well.

I found the overall design and construction of the vest excellent. The "adjustable elastic waist" is exactly that and quite durable. It was able to help easily stabilize a full load (tank and pods with paint). The velcro on the elastic waist was not underdone, so adjustment to various waist sizes is a breeze and holds in place nicely. While I'm not use to an elastic waist, it was neither uncomfortable or a burden.

I went next to the Interlock system on the front, and was simply amazed. It literally does stay on like in the video for it (Interlock Demo). While I didn't find it quite as simple to put my pouch back on, I expected such since its the first time I've dealt with this system. I play quite rough (diving, crawling, etc..), and have zero fears about my pouches coming off. Its literally that secure.

Next up is the pod pockets. They are like every other Cops911/Spec Ops pod pocket, in that their construction is astounding. What caught my attention was the additional elastic pod holders. I was concerned that perhaps a full pod would fall out, or that I would have difficulting in putting the pod back. Neither was the case for it. The elastic is stitched in a way that securely holds the pod in place, and I mean securely. Not so much that you can't get it out though. Putting the pod back in is a breeze since they added hard plastic to keep the mouth partially open and a pull tab to assist you as well.
Posted Image

As with anything, there's alway room for improvement. Being prior military (Army Infantry 11B), I've had experience with quite a bit of gear. So here comes my list of improvements:

First improvement is the belt keepers. I noticed this area seems a little lacking, in that there simply were not enough of them. In my opinion, to allow a add on belt to work better with the vest a few more "keepers" should be added. My picture shows the current positioning, and my changes. The current setup only has 4 "keepers", while my change would have 7. It would also secure the belt better. 3 for the back, and 2 for each vest front side:
Posted Image

Posted Image

My next change is the position of the front name tag. In my opinion it seems out of place, and is taking up an area that could serve a better purpose. Such as extending the Molle with two more additional Molle strips in place of a name tag in that area. I also felt that a smaller name tag located on the opposite shoulder of the patch would help make the vest flow more smoothly.
Posted Image

In conclusion, I am VERY happy with the vest design and the construction. It is the best paintball investment I have ever made. It can carry as much or as little paint that I need. It can store my barrel condom, maps, scenario ID's, radio etc. The tank pouch is extremely Left or Right handed friendly. It fits me quite nicely and still offers ALOT of room for growth should I need it. The mesh backing is comparable to military issue mesh vests, and I know it will last for a long time.

Therefore I give this vest an 8.5/10.

edit: I forgot to add that this is the '05 version, sorry I'm just not into all the Spec Ops Bling ;)

This post has been edited by Invictus: 10 February 2006 - 07:12 PM

Proud member of Team IYAOYAS and sponsored by
Planet Eclipse , LCP Army, SobePaintball , Shooting Hot Magazine, Addiction Army, The Ford Report , and Conlee Custom Camo.

When being an Owner just isn't enough, A5OG l X7OG l 98OG l PEOG l IOG

#2 User is offline   JackRock 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:JackRock

Posted 10 February 2006 - 05:46 PM

Awesome and by far the most complete technical review of the vest I've seen so far.

I have been thinking about getting one for months, especially now that my team wants to standardize vest colors.
This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My sig is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My sig, without me, is useless. Without my sig, I am useless. I must type my sig true. I must spell better than my enemy who is trying to judge me. I must type before he ridicules me. I WILL... My sig and I know that what counts in this forum is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the splatter we make. We know that it is the hits that count. WE WILL HIT... Before the Admins, I swear this creed. My sig and myself are the defenders of my forum. We are the masters of our enemy. WE ARE THE SAVIORS OF MY PROFILE. - Tippmann Owner #pi

#3 User is offline   Invictus 

• Operator Strike Force
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2006 - 07:22 PM

Thanks JackRock, and Rep4U my friend :blink:

Planet Eclipse , LCP Army, SobePaintball , Shooting Hot Magazine, Addiction Army, The Ford Report , and Conlee Custom Camo.

#4 User is offline   JackRock 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2006 - 08:12 PM

View PostInvictus, on Feb 10 2006, 07:22 PM, said:

Thanks JackRock, and Rep4U my friend :P

I do have one question. How did you request the custom options? I don't see those options on the SpecOps site. Did you order through the COPS911 server? I know how to do it through there.
This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My sig is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My sig, without me, is useless. Without my sig, I am useless. I must type my sig true. I must spell better than my enemy who is trying to judge me. I must type before he ridicules me. I WILL... My sig and I know that what counts in this forum is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the splatter we make. We know that it is the hits that count. WE WILL HIT... Before the Admins, I swear this creed. My sig and myself are the defenders of my forum. We are the masters of our enemy. WE ARE THE SAVIORS OF MY PROFILE. - Tippmann Owner #pi

#5 User is offline   Millslane 

• i give up
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Millslane

Posted 10 February 2006 - 08:15 PM

hey JackRock,

you need to PM MOATI and he can take you the rest of the way

This post has been edited by Millslane: 10 February 2006 - 08:17 PM

#6 User is offline   JackRock 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2006 - 08:20 PM

Awesome. Much appreciation and rep4u to both Millslane and Invictus. This has been a most productive thread for my decision.

#7 Guest_SWATORNOT_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 10 February 2006 - 11:14 PM

That is a really great review, the pictures really help give a visual idea of the quality of this product and an overall impression of what you get.

I have been looking for a vest for sooo long now (over a year) and I just can't find myself one configuration that I really like. Everything has a purpose and a use at some point with the vest options, having just moved to Colorado my main issue is picking a camo pattern...

Thanks for the Review as it has once again ensured me of the qaulity I would be receiving upon my purchase...

SWATORNOT :ph34r:

#8 User is offline   Femur Breaker 

• ^^^HeadshotPhantom makes a sweet avatar
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Femur Breaker

Posted 10 February 2006 - 11:27 PM

Yes, this is by far one of the best and most thorough reviews I have seen so far. Thanks for the great information, I will use it in deciding which vest to buy. Getting a vest is a very tough choice for me, since I am not really sure yet what exactly I am looking for in a vest. I really have not been playing long enough to know for sure.

Reading this was a good step in the right direction for me. I have a lot more research to do, but it will definitely help me out. I am very fussy about my gear because I hate to spend money on something that is not going to serve me to the fullest. That is why a good review always comes in handy. Thanks for taking the time to write this.
I joined Myspace: Who wants to be my friend?...lol
Broken Bones Member (2 Femurs....!)
IPB Image

#9 User is offline   Xtrememanruler 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 February 2006 - 05:26 AM

yeah thanx alot im thinking of getting a vest soon

#10 User is offline   oldguny 

• The Chicago type writer.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Oldguny

Posted 11 February 2006 - 11:14 AM

very nice

When i see you your in my cross hairs,but when you see me your looking over your sholder still wondering why that tree is waving at you. "Explosives slove everthing"-Sandy WBC I'm going for a Sunday drive Navy Seal Style

#11 User is offline   Invictus 

• Operator Strike Force
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 February 2006 - 12:41 AM

Yup... I'm an attention whore, so one last and only bump for me :unsure:

Any questions, feel free to post here or PM me..... I promise I won't bite. Also, thank you to all who have posted or inquired by PM with the comments/questions.

This post has been edited by Invictus: 17 February 2006 - 12:42 AM

#12 Guest_MOATI_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 17 February 2006 - 09:35 AM

Thanks for the great review Invictus!

In regards to your improvements...for future reference please keep in mind that we can do whatever you prefer. In your case specifically, if you'd like the additional belt keepers (although I've been VERY comfortable with 4 for years), the name moved, and/or molle strips added then just let me know and we'll do it up for you.

#13 User is offline   scphantom9195 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:scphantom9195

Posted 17 February 2006 - 04:35 PM

Nice review. Thanks for the info.
"Only the strong survive. The weak are killed and eaten as fingerfood." SDI SSgt Patterson, USMC, Platoon 1077[/b]
My feedback http://forum.special...=1

www.okcompanypaintball.com

#14 User is offline   maxsutter 

• GEARWHORE
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:MAXX

Posted 21 March 2006 - 11:05 AM

View Postscphantom9195, on Feb 17 2006, 05:35 PM, said:

Nice review. Thanks for the info.

I just recieved my vests - I had 2 custom made - I even sent is a military russian tarzan m22 vest - so they could replicate the design - the sucker fits so well I had grown accustomed to a vest that you could secure

- I have spent $500 on 2 custom vests one of which is useless at this point.

I think that for what the vests offer for $99 the stock broadsword woud;l be a good buy. However I like you have attempted to get a custom vest made to no avail and recognized the problems that I would have - I even sent them a vest to copy and they failed to copy the elements that woudl make my vest useable.

I think this company is jsut growing to large and simply don't care what the buyer thinks. After $500 on 2 vests that is what I conclude.

the vest was rendered useless in about 3hrs of use as the shoddy plastic zipper came apart. Are your zippers palstic or metal? The end piece broke after the first zip. Brian explained to me that they ran out of olive drab zipper - I suspect they had some cheap quality zippers - material brought in as they were desperate to get product out.

I also had an issue with the pod attachment velcro giving way under the weight. I had to rip the hanging attchment off and chunck it while in play. I had 2 dye pods and the attachemnt could not support the weight. The velcro is not the same as other parts of the vest

we use smoke grenades - the tall ones and for some reason they choose not to add the clips for the smoke pouches - the smoke grenade weighs alot more then an atomic ordinance f bomb and they choose to ignore my request and make those velcro only - another $50 down the drain in smoke as it jumps out of my vest.

My web belt came loose ever single time I took off my vest. Again they did not listen to my request. I will take pictures of all of these problems as best I can to illustrate how NOT to have them make your vest. What you need is velcro and a snap for the web belt so it will stay in place. I remeber fondly as brian told me they never had one break on them - well that is true becasu they come loose before they break.

the map velco pouch had a custom id card velcro in fron tof it. Again I requested a snap on the map part - what happens is that when you pull the id card the whole thing comes forward and you have to try to hold down the map velcro to get the id card one to come loose. Again it does not take a rocket scientist to figure this one out.

I asked for the same straps as yours asa I have 6 pods int he back and yes it is harder to get to with out the straps - this request was ignored as well. Even after showing them the pictures on their own forum they just ignored me amazing.

I personaly dont care for the velcro shoulder - I requested straps. and this too was ignored.

whe velcro web best does its job to keep the back half of the vet in place.

without proper securing of the web belt I had no way to tighten the velcro shoulders.

so let me get some pictures up here so ya'll can see the problems with the vest.

I hope that someone at your company reads this. These comments are menat for you to make your products better and to hoepfully listen to your paying clients.

#15 User is offline   Snake13 

• NE Immortals
  • PipPip

Posted 21 March 2006 - 06:37 PM

I recently received my order and had similar experience regarding instructions not being followed, I sent a PM to Brian regarding the issues. Their response to the problems will in the end determine whether I will give this company a good review or bad. I've heard rumblings about severe problems with cops911 customer service since the merger with specops, I'm crossing my fingers and hoping they are proved wrong.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users