Special Ops Paintball: Transitioning between Sniper and Sabre - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Transitioning between Sniper and Sabre Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   vindex762 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:VINDEX308

Posted 27 June 2008 - 07:07 PM

I usually play sniper but I also have an S.A.S. tactical vest and use it to carry about 1000 rounds of ammo, and I can go full auto with my spider. I was wondering if other people do this as well as in playing Sabre and also can be able to crawl out of the ghillie and run around abit C&C welcome.

#2 User is offline   lardlad 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:lardlad

Posted 28 June 2008 - 02:20 PM

Between Sniper and.. Sabre?

I don't think a Sniper should carry that much ammo, they should have one of those low profile 30 round hoppers, and thats more than enough.

Tippmann Owners Club #119

#3 User is offline   vindex762 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 28 June 2008 - 03:26 PM

I have a low profile tactical tube hopper that holds twenty rounds thats what I use when I play sniper, I was talking about playing the two positions not at the same time I wanted to know if sabre is a position that a sniper can easily slip into.

#4 User is offline   lardlad 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 28 June 2008 - 03:40 PM

I myself wouldn't think that a Sabre could be a Sniper, simply because of the lack of great camo, too much paint, and all that.

I think a that a Sabre would be more of a 'designated marksman' than a Sniper.

#5 User is offline   vindex762 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 28 June 2008 - 04:54 PM

ok kind of like a marine trooper, just a crack shot but not a 'sniper' as in a ghillie wearing super shot ninja type.

#6 User is offline   lardlad 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 29 June 2008 - 06:31 AM

Yeah, I believe so.

#7 User is offline   lethalpanther 

• OOO a lizard!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:lethalpanther1

Posted 29 June 2008 - 03:19 PM

Do you mean go around as a sniper, and then instantly "transform" into sabre to help out your team?
or do you mean play one game Sniper, then next game sabre, etc?

if its the latter then you should have no problem. I do it all the time. You just end up being a very ammo-efficient sabre :rolleyes:

If you're talking about the first choice, you're probably gonna have trouble
It's only a game, you don't need to be afaid of anyone, except for ONE person. Its not the teenager with a marker worth more than your car. Its not the SPPL player with about 35 BPS firing rate. Its the 40 year old guy lying in a corner, taking a nap before the game begins. His camo will probably be old, and he will most likely be toting a pump. He's been playing since before you were born, and if he mentions how much he didn't like when he had to play with oil based paintballs, make SURE he is on your team. This guy is a ghost.-Match99
Your grace...Rhaegar fought valiantly. Rhaegar fought nobly. Rhaegar fought honourably. And Rhaegar died. - Ser Jorah Mormont

#8 User is offline   SFC. Connell 

• *Extreme Strategist*
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SFC. Connell

Posted 29 June 2008 - 05:50 PM

IDK. im on the fence with this. I personally am trying to outfit myself with a backup marker (MR1) along with my primary 98C (tube fed sniper) and this way if my position is compromised and need to lay paint to hightail it out of there, then I could grab my MR1 and shootfaster and longer than my 98C. I will be using a vest as well that hold both tubes and pods. So I guess "transforming/switching" between sabre and sniper could work but I believe your efficiency as a sniper would be reduced. As for me I knew that going into my choice of JUNK. But I figured Im shooting a loud 98C as my sniper so my position will almost always be compromised lol. But you know what if switching on the flky makes the game more fun for you, then by all means go for it.
Feedback

She faked a funeral so people would come visit?
ROFLMAO That's both terrible and hilarious at the same time.-Pirate

#9 User is offline   Woodbender 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Woodbender

Posted 29 June 2008 - 07:18 PM

I do something sort of like that only I would consider myself more of a sniper/dagger combo. I don't use a ghillie but instead wear matching camo (including the mask and sometimes the gun too). This leaves me with the manueverability of a dagger while still providing some aid to concealment. Setting up an ambushes, leading point, stalking opponents and charging positions are all things that I have done in games. Sometimes one method just doesn't seem to work so I end up adapting my style to fit the situation.

The ghillie will make it a little tougher for you though. However, don't let that stop you from trying to play a combined position. With your reduced movement, full-auto and 1000 rounds, people will probably call you a broadsword instead. The idea of a green wookie slowly marching down the field while shooting ropes of suppressive fire is hilarious. I saw a video of a ghillie-suited player walking while shooting and it looked really incongruous. Go ahead and give it a shot. Sometimes being unconventional ends up making you more effective than those who play a picture-perfect style straight out of the tactics manual.

#10 User is offline   vindex762 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 29 June 2008 - 07:52 PM

Thanks everybody for the support and Ideas. I think that I have settled on the idea of playing sabre and sniper seperatley for games. I have two guns, a pump and a spyder I use both for sniping and I rarely ever wear my ghillie suit, I will and do the morph into a dagger at time but sometimes I just enjoy laying down lines to cover an advance but those lines always hit somebody so thanks for the support as I try to round out my game. Thanks

#11 User is offline   The Dakar 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 30 June 2008 - 08:29 PM

The thing I found is SABER is just a generic term for all around player. That isn't to say that SABER is useless. Quite the opposite! It takes lots of skill to be able to transform your style of play mid game!
So I think that going from SNIPER (Though I prefere designated marksman, and as such I will use marksman from here on out) to SABER is possible mid game, gear permitting.
A semi auto, I believe, is a must have. If you only have 10-15 paintballs in a tube, fine, but semi is a must.
You should have enough paint for at least two firefights. If you are running auto response on a e-trigger that could mean 300-400 rounds per fight. If you are with a smaller hopper and have a more disciplined trigger finger, maybe 140 will be all you need for both!
The biggest thing is how you approach the situation. SABERs generally use more paint, as they suppress more, covering each other and DAGGERs as they hop forward.
Obviously, if you are wearing a ghille suit, running will make you heat up like sitting in a sauna. So make sure to work with your team and don't over extend yourself.
As a Marksman, you would do well as a SABER, as long as you remember to not 'wait for the kill.' By that I mean, if you need to give cover fire, actually shoot. I have seen players that approach cover fire as "Well, if I wait for him to pop up, I can hit him AND cover you!" Only problem is that normally the opposing player hits your runner, and the cover fire reachs them after they have already ducked.
Also, if you are playing with, lets say, a 98 with a tube, remember you can still fire as fast as a regular 98. You just need to reload after each burst! A pain, but again, change your mindset and you can be just as effective.
So summary:
Most positions are about frame of mind, not color of camo. Certain roles can only be filled with the right equipment, but adjustments can very easily be made. A person with pump can never play a BROADSWORD, the firepower is simply lacking. But the BROADSWORD would have a hard time playing up front if they are carrying a full load of equipment.
If you have the equipment setup, go for it. Just remember to adjust your style of play to meet the needs of your position.
Remember,
If We Cant Do It, It Doesnt Need To Be Done!

Side Note:
I haven't seen a 98 tube setup yet, but if you brought along a small hopper and placed it on your vest, could you switch from tube to hopper mid game? If so, just make sure you tape up the opennings on the hopper. Sand is a killer!

This post has been edited by The Dakar: 30 June 2008 - 08:33 PM

I used to think:
"So what if you shoot 15bps, but I only need to hit you with one"
Then I learned how much fun it is to hit someone once every 1/15th of a second!

#12 User is offline   godofgunz 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:god of gunz

Posted 03 July 2008 - 08:46 AM

I believe You shouldn't set yourself so hard on the play styles. Not to say you cant do what you want to do. Your marker setup isn't the most important thing in your Paintball arsenal.
Your mind is. How you think is how you play. Change the way you think, and you change the way you play.As a sniper its all about patience. In a sabre its all about Versatility. Learn new tactics, Learn to aim faster and accurately. Your paintball gun should have a sense of balance, So it doesn't feel awkward or doesn't rock when you shoot it. 1000 paintballs in my opinion is a bit too much, But if you re that trigger happy by that much then maybe you should consider a slightly different position. But to each his own.

"There is nothing so likely to produce peace as to be well prepared to meet the enemy."
The guy on the dollar bill.

#13 User is offline   paulpker121 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Spotter6661

Posted 03 July 2008 - 09:16 AM

IMO, in twenty-first century paintball, everyone is a saber/dagger, whether they like it or not...
If We Cant Do It, It Doesnt Need To Be Done!

Official Sabre #1337

#14 User is offline   Singletrack 

• Welcome back Tree Fitty
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Singletrack

Posted 03 July 2008 - 10:42 PM

I would have to say get some good non-ghillie camo and go ahead and snipe. Bring your back up MR1 with you and snipe one or two peeps, switch guns and have some fun. There is no reason why you wouldn't be able too... besides the paint issue. But along with that I say get a 4+1 or 6+1 pod pack and strap it on your butt so you can still crawl around. Make sure, however, to get the pack in the same color as your camo because that will be what sticks out the most.

This post has been edited by Singletrack: 03 July 2008 - 10:42 PM

Official Spyder Owner #79
Death is certain, Life is not...

#15 User is offline   Marine Scout Sniper 

• Digitaly Sniping one shot at a time
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:scoutsniper777

Posted 04 July 2008 - 12:21 AM

I have been going by a sniper idea in the military to build a set up that will inable me to sorta do what has been mentioned.

I won't be carrying that much paint but I know I can and very lightly as well.

The Idea is carrying in 2 markers. Now I'm a big strong guy so it's easy for me to carry extra weight around.

One I'm getting an A5 with a RT that has been "supered", then after mods I am going have it attached by remote and my other marker I use for sniping in a camoed backpack.

2 air supplies. Since one is my autococker, I know it's comfortable enough to attach the tank directly to the marker. (there goes having to switch over the air supply through the remote)

3 the A5 is still cheaper than me switching to an autococker e trigger and I can get it to shoot faster if I want to and it's already force fed by the cyclone. So there goes 300 to 400 bucks just for the trigger and force feed hopper when I can get a whole marker for about the same price that will do everything I needed the upgrades to do for my autococker.

So how does the idea work? Well sometimes even a sniper will carry an automatic rifle along with his spotter who usually has his. The sniper will pack it when they know that they might see more trouble than usual. They will have it ready as long as they have not reach their point of observation. When they reach that point of operation it is then that the sniper will unpack and set up the sniper rifle for the purpose of that crisp clean accurate shot.

After the shot is taken and no other objectives remain that require their presence it is then that he will re pack his sniper rifle and carry his automatic rifle all the way back out to his extraction point.

Recon can be done in the same manner give or take.

But that's the set up I'm workin on. Not quite what you had in mind but it could be used for similar ideas or something.

Praise and Complaint Dept. (feedback) Digitally Dangerous [Cocker Owner #77] A5 RT Operator

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users