• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

new job, new gear ultra-light mil-sim setup question Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   rightintheface 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 August 2007 - 01:35 PM

So I'm starting to ref at my local field. I don't make beans, but I don't care, because I have a full time job already. I've decided, though, that I'm using my reffing money to upgrade gear. My first thought in terms of dagger-dom would be to get a pump/Tib 8 setup. I just saw a pretty mil-sim looking pump (looked like a Benelli shotgun) in a recent issue of APG, and instantly wanted it. I figure on using that for my primary marker, but because it takes slightly longer than a standard reload, I could have the Tib 8 on hand. Most of my gear is more tourney than mil-sim, and this would be a nice way to enter the milsim category without dropping tons of money on something that wouldn't really fit a dagger role. I don't want to get an X-7 if I already have a good 'regular' gun.

So, any objections? You guys think it's a good idea? I know there are daggers out there that play with pumps for the decreased weight...

#2 User is offline   Bielerga 

• The Chemist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Seaspray

Posted 16 August 2007 - 01:45 PM

I think its a terrible idea if you don't have a decent semi already. Not only will you hurt yourself by shooting slower, but you'll also have the additional weight of the tac 8. I love to practice with my pump but playing in a real game or a big game with it is just letting your team down.
I am an arms dealer, fitting you with weapons in the form of words

BLOOD FEST OCT 27TH HALLOWEEN BIG GAME Oh,IN,KY Teams

#3 User is offline   Steed 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 August 2007 - 01:46 PM

NO!!! First off alot of Mil-Sim gear is basic garbage for the price, all looks no bang, ESPECIALLY the cRAP4 Shotgun, that thing is a sin in the paintball world, they actually screwed up a Nelson Valve system, don't get it. If you really want Mil-Sim you're going to have to spend as much as a good performing marker, like the set-up you just got if I'm not mistaken. A good looking marker STARTs at just under 300, to get it competitive you'll drop another 300 in upgrades. If you really want mil-sim there are afew out there, Tippman is getting into it but there are others that someone else will give you, they're all basicly Blow Backs except the the SP-8 which is just alot of cheap plastic. If you really want Mil-Sim on a fixed budget most of your gear is dedicated to it. Why Mil-Sim anyway?
As far as pumps go, yes alot of people are starting to make the shift, but pump is very difficult to pick-up especialy in a semi only enviornment but it will make you a better player.

#4 User is offline   rightintheface 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 16 August 2007 - 01:57 PM

View PostArmory, on Aug 16 2007, 01:46 PM, said:

NO!!! First off alot of Mil-Sim gear is basic garbage for the price, all looks no bang, ESPECIALLY the cRAP4 Shotgun, that thing is a sin in the paintball world, they actually screwed up a Nelson Valve system, don't get it. If you really want Mil-Sim you're going to have to spend as much as a good performing marker, like the set-up you just got if I'm not mistaken. A good looking marker STARTs at just under 300, to get it competitive you'll drop another 300 in upgrades. If you really want mil-sim there are afew out there, Tippman is getting into it but there are others that someone else will give you, they're all basicly Blow Backs except the the SP-8 which is just alot of cheap plastic. If you really want Mil-Sim on a fixed budget most of your gear is dedicated to it. Why Mil-Sim anyway?
As far as pumps go, yes alot of people are starting to make the shift, but pump is very difficult to pick-up especialy in a semi only enviornment but it will make you a better player.

I want pump for the fact that it'll make me better. That much is clear. I'll end up doing SOMETHING pump or pistol wise just for that purpose. However, my reason for doing the mil-sim thing is purely looks oriented. I know the Tib 8 is a well respected, well made marker, but I really don't know much of anything about the larger pump. I don't mind spending 2-3 hundred for something. I know the Tib 8 alone will be that much. No biggie.
Dang. That stinks. The shotgun is really that bad? I'm bummed. Any suggestions of a decent performing marker that has that look? Don't worry about price, I'd save it on paint anyway.

The other option might be a couple Tib 8's. I wouldn't dual wield like an idiot, but an extra sidearm wouldn't be bad...

#5 User is offline   EPIC_Fox 

• filth.fm
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:EPIC_Fox

Posted 20 August 2007 - 07:37 PM

Don't waste your money on a milsim pump..just buy a nice phantom or CCM gun to your liking and stick with that.

My .02
Boss Paintball

#6 User is offline   Steed 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 August 2007 - 06:30 AM

There is no good mil-sim pump out there that matches what you want, most with wood parts and stocks. A CCM or Phantom is just fine.

#7 User is offline   rightintheface 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 21 August 2007 - 08:03 PM

View PostArmory, on Aug 21 2007, 06:30 AM, said:

There is no good mil-sim pump out there that matches what you want, most with wood parts and stocks. A CCM or Phantom is just fine.

Does the Phantom come in black at least? I'd like to keep that look if possible. Bit hard to be stealthy with a bright red gun...

#8 User is offline   Bielerga 

• The Chemist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Seaspray

Posted 22 August 2007 - 04:41 AM

It does, but the green / black acid wash is pretty cool and very subdued.
I am an arms dealer, fitting you with weapons in the form of words

BLOOD FEST OCT 27TH HALLOWEEN BIG GAME Oh,IN,KY Teams

#9 User is offline   shadow_772 

• Never compromise, even in the face of armageddon
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Shadow_772

Posted 22 August 2007 - 10:17 AM

View PostBielerga, on Aug 22 2007, 04:41 AM, said:

It does, but the green / black acid wash is pretty cool and very subdued.

If I get a phantom (god only knows when...) thats probably what I will get...

#10 User is offline   MurphNH 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:MurphNH

Posted 22 August 2007 - 04:33 PM

If you're going pump, phantom is definately the way to go. I've been shooting mine since 02, only ever had to swap out two or three seals. Eventually I'll get good pictures of my setup on my brigade page, but I'm feeling lazy tonight. I've got mine running either a small (9-12 oz) co2 bottle or 12 gram co2's ou tthe backbottle setup, with a T-stock on a reversed drop/asa combo off the bottomline, when fully extended it just sits in a spot where I don't have to pull back on my marker, it rolls up to my shoulder ready to put paint where I want it.

And, alternatively, pretty much every nelson-based pump gun apart from the aforementioned Abomination known as a Rap-68 will serve you well provided the paint matches the barrel and the bore is polished smooth. Sheridans require a bit of tuning but they're fantastic markers as well.

This post has been edited by MurphNH: 22 August 2007 - 04:34 PM

#11 User is offline   drummerdude1234 

• "dude call PETA!"
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Drummerdude1234

Posted 22 August 2007 - 04:45 PM

pumps and Mil-sim dont mix.

if you want pumpage, go with a CCI Phantom, or if you find a used SL-68 II that 'll do.

if you want Mil-Sim, any Tippmann will fit the bill with a few upgrades like a barrel shroud and a stock, or you could buy guns that come pre- Mil-sim'ed, like any Ariakon gun(spyder in a Mil-Sim shell) , or any crap4 gun (i DO NOT RECCOMEND these).

id go with the Phantom if you want a pump, Tippmann if you want Mil-Sim. :laugh:

-drummer

Broadsword # 3 I like Moes!!!! Check Out My Band-Here!
if you've ever gotten shot in the crotch, put this in your sig! Drummers secret plan "Speical" member #11 Are you in a band?

#12 User is offline   EPIC_Fox 

• filth.fm
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:EPIC_Fox

Posted 22 August 2007 - 08:01 PM

View Postrightintheface, on Aug 21 2007, 11:03 PM, said:

View PostArmory, on Aug 21 2007, 06:30 AM, said:

Does the Phantom come in black at least? I'd like to keep that look if possible. Bit hard to be stealthy with a bright red gun...

www.wevopaintball.com

that should help you out a bit.
Boss Paintball

#13 User is offline   QUEEG 

• QUEEG 500/Scott Grieger/Z-Barf
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:QUEEG 500

Posted 22 August 2007 - 08:11 PM

I've had two milsim guns. As far as I'm concerned, "milsim" is a gimmick. The sp8 wasn't really that bad. It did break on me and all, but whatever.
If you want a pump, get a phantom.
I'm guessing whatever marker you are using now, is colorful no? You could save money and paint it black, OD, camo, whatever color/pattern you want.

This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is mine.
PM Me if you want to know why my signature is legal...Its actually the most reported thing on the forum these days -Tenacious

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users