• You cannot reply to this topic

Gun setup my gun set up i want. thoughts? recomendations? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Ulrikx

Posted 15 June 2011 - 02:58 PM

alright so this is the gun set-up i am thinking about running. if you have any thoughts or recomendations please dont hesitate to post :)
-new A5 w/ all the goodies it comes with
-e-grip
-apex barrel
-pure energy 3000psi 72ci n2 tank
-some sort of sexy looking mod ;)

its simple and on the cheaperish side. What are the pro's/con's and price ranges to flipping my tank? and are there any cheep colapsable lightweight stocks? Also, thinking about getting a pistol side arm. what would be a good cheepish well perfoming pistol? are they even worth getting?
thanks

#2 User is offline   Eagle Eye 

• I am Become Death, Squeegier of Worlds.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:BattleSpam

Posted 15 June 2011 - 06:43 PM

are you running air on gun or with a remote? Stock's don't really work that well with the air tank on the gun. As for collapsible stock, do you mean like a sliding CAR stock or side-folding? There are plenty of either available on the market, that's the beauty of having a Tippmann is how much after-market accessories are available for it.

As for pistols, you'll get mixed reviews. Some people love 'em, some hate 'em. Tiberius Arms and the Tippmann TPX are the current favorites on the marktet, but you can still find Zeus G2's, Ariakon ACP, RAP4 T68 for cheap(er) than the above Tac 8 and TPX. For rec play, you probably won't need a side arm. Scenario, maybe.

Also, as a dagger how/where are you going to carry your sidearm? Drop leg holsters are a pain to sprint in.

This post has been edited by Eagle Eye: 15 June 2011 - 06:44 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
The Paintball Sniper has already done the first step: convince you they don't exist.
Allied Superior Meritorious Service Medal recipient: D-Day 2008
"There is no "fixing" a Tippmann ... if it didn't work, there is only one reason .... you tried to clean it. Any problem a Tippmann has can be easily fixed by adding more dirt, preferably to the internals, followed by 3 drops of oil." -- Acara

#3 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Ulrikx

Posted 15 June 2011 - 07:39 PM

i will be running air on gun. remotes seem to work well for the more sabre/broadsword roles but not so much the dagger role. i am thinking about flipping the tank but don't know how well i would like it.
I am open for either stock option really. both seem to do the job but i don't know which one would work better for the dagger role, or if it would really even make a difference. I guess i will prolly just go with which is cheaper lol.
My team does a lot of scenario games but we do a bit of everything too lol. I am thinking about a side arm so that when i leave my primary with a teammate so i can do one of those balls out sprints i wont be completely defenseless. that is a good point about where to keep it though. i figured i would get a leg holster but i have never used one before so i have no idea how it would feel to run with it. have you ever used a pistol? if so are they even worth it?

#4 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SHIPWRECK!

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:08 AM

If I were you I wouldn't spend the money getting a remote kit or a drop forward to flip the tank. Why bother? One of the more unique features of the A-5 is that you can run vert air. Gets the tank out of the way of the stock, and doesn't require any extra mods. Just disconnect the rear asa from the tombstone and plug in directly.

I've never found the spec-ops positions particularly relevent to paintball at large. But I guess the "Dagger's" basic premesis of speed and manueverability DO apply no matter where you play, whether you use the label or not. So for your dagger gun I would recomend a folding stock, offers greatly enhanced manuverability over a collapseable stock. A collapseable stock can collapse and get shorter, but ultimately it's only going to be a difference of a 6-9 inches, which is significant but you could do better. With a folding stock your stock folds completely out of the way going from full lenght (whatever that is) to 0 inches. It offers all the advantage of a stock and all the advantages of no stock vs. collapseable that just goes from slightly longer to slightly shorter.

As for the pistol: Don't leave your primary with someone. You can run just as fast with it as without, it's not going to make a noticeable difference in speed, only a noticable disadvantage in ammo capacity. The sidearm will come in handy if your primary runs out of paint, or air, or chops and jams... and really that's all sidearms are for anyway. As for performance, I haven't played much with sidearms, but one thing I can say is that the beauty of them in paintball is that they can perform alot closer to primaries. Since velocity is limited to 280fps no matter what you're shooting, milsim electro pistol etc, the range of everything is limited to about the same. You can get some edge with flatline barrels and other similar systems, but nothing massively better. So except for ammo capacity and maybe a little accuracy, pistols in paintball can be almost if not just as good as primaries. Can't tell you what the best one is (although I'd recomend the T8/9) can't tell you what the cheapest is (although I'd recommend used in good condition) but I can tell you it will definently come in handy at some point and peform pretty damn well compared to primaries (a lot better than in real world anyway).
"If they wanna be asinine about this, we'll just be asinine right back."
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#5 User is offline   Eagle Eye 

• PipPip

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:04 AM

Ah, you have been looking at the old school A5 setup SO was doing for the dagger position, with the air tank flipped forward. I'm not sure they sell that adapter to flip flop the tank around....then again they might or you can find a used one, no worries on that. The vertical bottle configuration Shipwreck is talking about I've never tried but have seen done. I personally would just use the original ASA and run the gun like a speedball marker: eg using the tank for a stock. But it all comes down to what's comfortable for you, and if your heart is set on using a stock I HIGHLY recommend using a remote line. Get a coiled remote and one of the remote covers SO sells, and it won't tangle up on you, or get a steel line straight remote. A stock with the vert tank might not be bad, now that i think about it...

As far as using the pistol, I agree with Shipwreck: Don't leave your primary with someone else. Loss of firepower and all that, and you might end up with a lost marker at the end of the game. Not saying your buddy will steal it, but he might get carried away shooting at someone and forget about it. I've used pistols before, and while they still shoot 280 fps like any other marker, you only get 8 rnds before having to reload. If you buy one, practice with it a little, 'cause aiming is more important with such limited paint. "Are they worth it?" Yes and no. Honestly, I'll forget to use it most games, if only because i have no problems with my primary. But when my primary breaks/jams, it's a wonderful thing.
Posted Image
Posted Image
The Paintball Sniper has already done the first step: convince you they don't exist.
"There is no "fixing" a Tippmann ... if it didn't work, there is only one reason .... you tried to clean it. Any problem a Tippmann has can be easily fixed by adding more dirt, preferably to the internals, followed by 3 drops of oil." -- Acara

#6 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:12 AM

Flipping the tank "Hawaiian" style is simple to do - just takes a bottom line adapter from CP, Lapco or the like and an ASA.

As for the tank itself, don't get a steel hpa tank, they are freaking heavy. For the price of a new 72/3 steely you can find a nice used 68/4.5 that will hold far more air and be lighter.

Your marker setup.... eh. I've been there, done that. Now I've moved on to lighter/tighter electro's & Automags. As I've wanted to lighten my loadout over the past couple years the marker was the first/best place to start. You may too someday, but feel free to have fun cutting your teeth on a big ol' milsimmed A-5.

EDIT: Welcome to the forums man! Glad you found us & hope you enjoy your time here.

This post has been edited by ger: 17 June 2011 - 09:16 AM

ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

#7 User is offline   Eagle Eye 

• PipPip

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:40 AM

lol, you say flipping the tank "Hawaiian style" and I have yet to see one player out where I play (Island Paintball on Oahu) with a tank like that. I think i've seen a CO2 quick changer flipped, but that was back when i lived in Ohio, lol
Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 17 June 2011 - 06:42 PM

That's cause it is mainly done by pump players...not so much by semis. Spec Ops was one of the few companies pushings semi autos with that configuration. You see it a lot with pumps. Much easier to change a 12ie and with a 3.5 it gives to the added bit of weight to make it tip forward with ease. Island/Hawaiian style started off in an island in Maine, but eventually carried over to the west coast and Hawaii after players from out there played up here. It is odd to see you refer to it as island style. Most guys from the island refer to it as Hawaiian style themselves. To the OP, Welcome to the site. Hope you enjoy your time here. As to a pistol side arm...as a side arm you won't get much use. But if you play a bit of semi first them try pistol only play to sharpen your skills later on you can have lots of fun. Then when you go back to full marker semi everything is so much easier. But I would recommended against playing pistol only this early in the PB career. Can be discouraging at first Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

This post has been edited by Legato: 17 June 2011 - 06:46 PM

"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#9 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:02 PM

When I wanna play LIGHT......I go for a slingshot....
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

#10 User is offline   Lt.Col.Vortex 

• Death itself
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:38 PM

LOL IKE, tried that a while back, but everyone ranged me out by standing too far back :(

Is te apex better than the falatline?? Cause I have the flatline and it works fine for what I do.

#11 User is offline   Eagle Eye 

• PipPip

Posted 18 June 2011 - 08:21 PM

In terms of range, they will both put backspin on the ball and squeeze out that extra range. The APEX however can swivel, allowing you to put spin to curve the ball left and right. I've only had experience with a Flatline, so i really can't compare.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#12 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 18 June 2011 - 08:35 PM

I haven't tried an Apex but my 98c came with a Flatline and I only thought it was good until I tried a regular barrel. Flatline could fire far, but it's spread was awful in my experience. Wasted far too many shots trying to hit people even close, even when they didn't realise I was firing at them.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users