• You cannot reply to this topic

Tips from the Special Forces Rate Topic: ****- 2 Votes

#1 User is offline   WVPC Commander 

• Shadowrunner
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Shadowrunner

Posted 18 May 2005 - 06:16 AM

This is a tactic that is used heavily by the U.S. Navy S.E.A.L.s, Delta, and several other S.T.C.T.s (Small Squad Tactical Combat Teams). It is a staple of the Tactics and Maneuver guide and has been a lifesaver many times and is actually the first tactic that I taught my team. To learn this tactic and polish it to near perfection plan to spend a lot of time in the woods with your attack squad and be prepared to be a hard dumper about their timing, speed, and fluidity. This is not an easy tactic to pull off but it works very well in a lot of situations. It can be slightly modified to serve as your go to plan for the fighting retreat, a strong tactic to use when dealing with small pockets of the OpFor, or one large pocketÖ
(I should note that in order for this tactic to work properly you should play in a fairly heavily wooded area with plenty of underbrush and your team MUST have good camouflage strategies. I also assume a tem man team in all of my tactics)

Shadowboxing:

Theoretically simple shadowboxing derives its name not from the actions of the implementing team, but from the actions of the OpFor. Shadowboxing is a hit and run, guerilla tactic designed to cause confusion and misdirection in the minds of the enemy. This is achieved by using several (3-6) players in a sight line fan formation (Spread out in a line moving quickly through wooded areas but never out of sight of each other). When the OpFor is encountered the line quickly and quietly (QUIETLY) moves into a dual flank (Optimally 3 teams of 2). The Shadowboxing will then begin, players will raise and fire two or three shots before ducking into the brush and disappearing, then one on the right will repeat the maneuver then one on the left. Keep this up, it is confusing, it hides your numbers, and it also happens to create what snipers call a fish in a barrel effect, they will almost always group up and look for the fastest way out, a sniper or anyone with a decent shot for that matter can pick them off one by one, and once they run for it itís over, there is no honor lost in shooting a man in the back if later he plans to turn aroundÖ

As for the adaptations of shadowboxing it can be used on the run, either forwards or backwards to befuddle the OpFor into your exact locations and numbers. Believe me, when the staged and seemingly random fire from several locations while you watch shadows move through the trees is seen by the OpFor Commander he will tally numbers much higher than 5 or 6. It is a great tactic to use in paintball due to the fact that it does not rely on accuracy or individual talent, trust me, 6 rookies can take down a team of B.U.D.S. trainers quickly using this tacticÖ.
Historicly the best way to convert a Liberal is to have them move out of their parents home, get a job and start paying taxes...

user posted image

#2 User is offline   WVPC Commander 

• Shadowrunner
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Shadowrunner

Posted 24 May 2005 - 08:58 AM

Suppressive fire is a must in any combat or combat related activity, a.k.a. Paintball and the tactic should be learned and used carefully. What many people do not realize is that if suppressive fire is not used properly you are just wasting ammo and the rough part is, the team that does know what they are doing will recognize this and milk it for every thing itís worth.

The goal of suppressive fire is to keep the heads of the OpFor down, not pin them, just keep them down. Appropriate times to use suppressive fire is when advancing on a fortified position, circumambulating a position (Does not happen very often in paintball), baiting a shot, or just buying yourself a little more time. I am going to give a couple of tips and examples for each case but remember, suppressive fire is an art, it should be practiced, and practiced often for the suppressors to be good at it..

Advancing on a Fortified Position
This is the most common use of suppressive fire is to advance on enemy controlled bunkers, walls, ridges or entrenchments. This is done by having one or two shooters take up a position across from the OpFor and simply peppering the fortification for 30 or 40 seconds then holding off for a couple of seconds and begin trading off shots, one every two seconds or so, this will conserve paint on your end and keep the OpFor heads down enough to allow the rest of the squad to flank around and take them outÖ

Tips
1) Donít over fire, it is not worth the paint, many times in a suppressive fire position less is more.
2) Break up your fire pattern, fire at the bunker, then into the ground nearby then let one sail over the bunker, keep them guessing.
3) Vary your fire consistency, occasionally step up the rate of fire, then let it die down altogether for a couple of seconds.
4) Watch for a shot of opportunity, occasionally you will get a glimpse of the top of their head or their boot, take the shot, one less that your flankers donít have to worry about.

Circumambulating a position
This is very similar to advancing but instead of attacking you simply keep their heads down long enough to get past them.

Tips
1) There are very few tips that I can offer here other than the faster the better and donít stick around to see what happens.

Baiting the shot
Baiting the shot is what you do when there are no flankers, itís just you, or when it is a bunker to bunker shoot out (My least favorite tactic). What you do is lay down the fire, let them know that you are there, then take cover, allow them to return the fire, wait for a lull and pop off a shot or two. This is a LONG process and requires that you play smarter than the other guys, a one to one shot ratio will not equate to the desired effect.

Tips
1) Take your time, once committed to this line of attack you are in for a long haul.
2) Make sure before you do this that the payoff is worth it, if you are holding down a bunker that is off on itís own not doing anything you are wasting time and ammo.
3) Look for the shot of opportunity, that will expedite the process greatly.
4) Never overshoot, the object here is to run them out of ammo, keep them shooting, oft times you can draw their fire without you shooting. Pop up then down two or three times then change position, keep them guessing and keep them shooting.
Historicly the best way to convert a Liberal is to have them move out of their parents home, get a job and start paying taxes...

user posted image

#3 User is offline   irishnd98 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:irishnd98

Posted 27 March 2006 - 02:06 PM

thanks WVPC Commander this is a great post. I am glad that real tactics are used in Paintball and excited about the furthering use of paintball technology by the armed forces to practice tactics.
"You don't know if you really believe or not till the bullets are flying!"

#4 User is offline   ninjanought 

• MuppetKilla
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:ninjanought

Posted 28 March 2006 - 02:42 PM

Thanx fer the tips man. Now I will truly be a :ph34r: NINJA :ph34r: lol

#5 User is offline   Shady SNP 

• Commander of Team SNP
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Shady SNP

Posted 30 March 2006 - 01:11 PM

Great Post. Very good information on tactics, this could be very useful to an experienced team as well as a newer team. I will take this into consideration while coming up with plans. Thank you. :D
SPEED IS GOOD... BUT ACCURACY IS FINAL!
Commander of SNP HIGHLANDERS, we play with Honor, Sportsmanship, and stealth... remember gentlemen, we go with speed!
IPB Image

#6 User is offline   tank 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 03 April 2006 - 04:10 PM

hte armed forces are doing a lot with paintball when i wasin the tank unit we did it a lot but we ran the wedeg or the v a lot to keep the comand alive

#7 User is offline   HvyRifleman12345 

• Broadsword
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:HvyRifleman12345

Posted 11 April 2006 - 03:35 PM

Man if I was getting Shadowboxed on a night field I would DOO DOO myself
IPB Image

#8 User is offline   Rancor 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Rancor

Posted 19 April 2006 - 07:48 AM

Nice stuff. I'll be printing this out and handing it to all my team mates to get us on the same page tactics wise.

Loyal? Hard working? Fully expendable? http://www.501neg.com

#9 User is offline   dextonik 

• Grrrrrrr, ARRRG
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:dex.

Posted 20 April 2006 - 09:02 PM

I have a question, if your being engaged by the opfor on an open area should you advance or fall back, I tried the whole advance thing after hearing that the enemy will retreat if this manuever was executed but this wasnt the case at all we both advanced and it becaome a total eliminiation of both teams. I guess what Im asking is how do you become more effective while out in the open my team was consisted of 3 players including me, and the other team was like 5 players and we had a long run into cover.
If you can't hack it, then I suggest you pack it!
I'm on it like white on rice, with a glass of milk in a snow storm.
Doesn't matter what gun you have, as long as you can hit what you're looking at.
Procrastinators of the world unite...TOMORROW

#10 User is offline   SAPPER HERC 

• DEADPOOL OPS. "BRINGING THE STING TO YOU!!"
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:SAPPER HERC

Posted 21 April 2006 - 02:57 PM

if you were on line you should have sent one or two guys to break contact and flank. it might have confused enough to back them into a retreat.
[size=4]"THOUGH I WALK THRU THE VALLEY OF SHADOW OF DEATH, I WILL FEAR NO EVIL BECAUSE I AM THE BADDEST SOLDIER IN THE VALLEY !!!"

#11 User is offline   shookum 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:SHOOKUM

Posted 02 May 2006 - 04:42 AM

I personally have tried this on many occations with some sniper buddies of mine. We all wear ghillie suits when we do it. The way we do it is there are four of us and we pop up from tall grass, pop a few, get back down, and crawl like our tails are on fire. This is my favorite tactic ever.

#12 User is offline   MANDO 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:FORCE SNIP

Posted 11 May 2006 - 04:29 PM

I'll need to try that tactic. Thanxs for the info. :D

#13 User is offline   THE NAMELESS 

• Cooler Than Average
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:-Q-

Posted 12 May 2006 - 03:30 PM

this is perfect because shadowboxing doesnt require very many people and i loved the baiting the shot part because that helps a lot in speedball when ur only using a full hopper and no pods

#14 User is offline   Black kat 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Black kat

Posted 18 May 2006 - 06:12 PM

Yes,thanks WVPC Commander this is a great post and the tactics! :D

View Postirishnd98, on Mar 27 2006, 02:06 PM, said:

thanks WVPC Commander this is a great post. I am glad that real tactics are used in Paintball and excited about the furthering use of paintball technology by the armed forces to practice tactics.

IPB Image

If we can't do it ,It dosent need to be done! One shot,one kill. Airborne!!

http://www.specialopspaintball.com/brigade...ew.asp?id=66531

#15 User is offline   Kilshot 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Kilshot

Posted 25 May 2006 - 07:18 AM

View Postirishnd98, on Mar 27 2006, 04:06 PM, said:

Hoohah

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users