Obama is President Reactions? Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#76 User is offline   Chaos 

• RagTag Renegade
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Chaos

Posted 20 January 2009 - 12:11 PM

View PostDigitalPirate, on Jan 20 2009, 11:59 AM, said:

I was actually just observing from the background at how childish this argument (and yes it is an argument) has become.

The man has just taken office and you're already damning him. Give the man a chance at least, people gave Bush a chance.

Exactly, give the man a chance!

Yes, its an argument, but it's not childish per-se. We have kept it civil and mature. We have yet to give Puzma a reason to close this one down. And Ash bugger head! :laugh: lol, jk bro.

And also, I am not in school because I am 26, and leaving for the USCG in April.

@Ash
If I get that "I told you so" then atleast I was willing to give the man a chance. IMHO, Bush was not a good president. Yes, Obama has been uncertain on his views, but atleast he has told us when said views have changed. But I can respect someone who is honest. I have no respect what so ever for Bush... I say, lets wait 4 years, then reopen this thread and see what happens.

#77 User is offline   SpudCrushr 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 January 2009 - 12:15 PM

View PostChaos, on Jan 20 2009, 03:11 PM, said:

I have no respect what so ever for Bush... I say, lets wait 4 years, then reopen this thread and see what happens.

It's won't take 4 years for his true colors to show!!! :laugh: Maybe 4 months...
Posted Image

#78 User is offline   Octavious 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 January 2009 - 12:17 PM

I have a question.. who decides on the funding "needed" for the inaugural event?

"those of us who manage the public's dollars will be held to account — to spend wisely"... but this 40-45 million dollar event doesn't count. Its both a lot of money and hardly any money in some ways.. But thats over the top.

Isn't he half white half black? So wouldnt it be correct to say he's the nation's first mixed president, and not the first african american?

But I can respect someone who is honest. I have no respect what so ever for Bush... I say, lets wait 4 years, then reopen this thread and see what happens.

You can't say he's honest when in fact he hasn't done anything yet. How about, we determine if he's honest in 4 years, shall we? And in the mean-time like you said.. start him off with the benefit of doubt.

-Oct

This post has been edited by Octavious: 20 January 2009 - 12:19 PM

#79 User is offline   Ashrak 

• Precipice
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 January 2009 - 12:20 PM

@ DP

Everyone who doesn't agree me is a newb because I'm right about everything. You're all stupid. :laugh:

^THAT would be childish.

@ Chaos

And Bugger head to you. :P

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't a Bush fanboy either. He made a lot of mistakes while Office that made life harder than it needed to be. What gets me is the double standard of the Media, among other things. An easy example which has already been pointed out is that Obama can stutter while doing the Oath of Office, and it makes him human. If Bushs "studders" then he is stupid apre worthy of mockery.

In four years the world will have ended. 2012 man, don't you read the signs? :dodgy:

View PostOctavious, on Jan 20 2009, 02:17 PM, said:

I have a question.. who decides on the funding "needed" for the inaugural event?

"those of us who manage the public's dollars will be held to account — to spend wisely"... but this 40-45 million dollar event doesn't count. Its both a lot of money and hardly any money in some ways.. But thats over the top.

Fully agreed, and an excellent point made.

Isn't he half white half black? So wouldnt it be correct to say he's the nation's first mixed president, and not the first african american?

He chose to live the "African American experience" so we get to throw genetics out the window apparently. Not that I really care one way or another, just another double standard. Another excellent point.

But I can respect someone who is honest. I have no respect what so ever for Bush... I say, lets wait 4 years, then reopen this thread and see what happens.

You can't say he's honest when in fact he hasn't done anything yet. How about, we determine if he's honest in 4 years, shall we?

-Oct

This post has been edited by Ashrak: 20 January 2009 - 12:19 PM

Alea iacta est ~ The board is set, the pieces are moving.
~ Like the leaves of the forest when Summer is green, That host with their banners at sunset were seen:
Like the leaves of the forest when Autumn hath blown, That host on the morrow lay withered and strown. ~ Destruction of Sennacherib

~ Believe me, dear Sir: there is not in the American states a man who more cordially loves a union with his country than I do. But, by the God that made me, I will cease to exist before I yield to a connection on such terms as the United States Congress proposes; and in this, I think I speak the sentiments of America. ~ Thomas Jefferson (modernized)
Summertime Blues

#80 User is offline   SpudCrushr 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 January 2009 - 12:27 PM

Sorry, I'm been shopping for 5k rounds of 22lr ammo online. EVERY website is sold out though, even Cabelas

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...&hasJS=true

Oh, and the local gun stores are sold out of all Sig P226's and P250's. They have no idea when they will be getting any more in stock...Plus ammo and handguns are up about 25-50%

Thanks HUSSEIN!

This post has been edited by SpudCrushr: 20 January 2009 - 12:29 PM

Posted Image

#81 User is offline   Formidable Fox 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 20 January 2009 - 12:27 PM

I thought his speech was inspiring. I'm still skeptical about his rebuilding America, sounds a lot like what FDR did. But even thought FDR's policies didn't work back then doesn't mean they won't work now in a new day and age where it's easier to bring people together.
"Do to others as you would have them do to you." Luke 6:31

#82 User is offline   The Stuntman 

• I feel like I'm taking Crazy Pills!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:The Stuntman

Posted 20 January 2009 - 12:29 PM

Congress. Its complicated, but totally non-partisan. There is a special congressional commitee that handles most of the details. The short version of the story is that there is a special permanent fund to cover these expences, some of which is paid for by donations, some from the general fund & some from a special account managed by the IRS.
Its surprisingly non-political. Both parties want DC & the country to look good on days like this.

An easy example which has already been pointed out is that Obama can stutter while doing the Oath of Office, and it makes him human. If Bushs "studders" then he is stupid apre worthy of mockery.

True, but Bush did it ALL THE TIME, not just in one speech. All political considerations aside, Bush (like his father) is just not that strong of a public speaker. I found Bush painfull to listen too even when I agreed with what he was saying. One conservative Republican writer once described the entire Bush familie's "charming inability to speak the English language". Eisenhower was bad that way too.
Dont worry, Obama will show some kind of amusing yet totally un-important flaw...and Saturday Night Live will be ALL over it...

#83 User is offline   thebostinian 

• SOFA Favorite Member Title 2009
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:thebostinian

Posted 20 January 2009 - 12:36 PM

View PostThe Stuntman, on Jan 20 2009, 02:29 PM, said:

Congress. Its complicated, but totally non-partisan. There is a special congressional commitee that handles most of the details. The short version of the story is that there is a special permanent fund to cover these expences, some of which is paid for by donations, some from the general fund & some from a special account managed by the IRS.
Its surprisingly non-political. Both parties want DC & the country to look good on days like this.

An easy example which has already been pointed out is that Obama can stutter while doing the Oath of Office, and it makes him human. If Bushs "studders" then he is stupid apre worthy of mockery.

True, but Bush did it ALL THE TIME, not just in one speech. All political considerations aside, Bush (like his father) is just not that strong of a public speaker. I found Bush painfull to listen too even when I agreed with what he was saying. One conservative Republican writer once described the entire Bush familie's "charming inability to speak the English language". Eisenhower was bad that way too.
Dont worry, Obama will show some kind of amusing yet totally un-important flaw...and Saturday Night Live will be ALL over it...

Like the fact that whenever he plays pickup hoops, nobody puts a body on him. They're all too afraid of the Secret Service.

"Yeah, but a thread that started out as borderline weird and creepy to begin with has now taken a left turn into 'Deliverance." - Violator
Don't try to pronounce the second "o". Instead, try realize the truth: there is no second "o"

#84 User is offline   The Stuntman 

• I feel like I'm taking Crazy Pills!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:The Stuntman

Posted 20 January 2009 - 12:41 PM

Like the fact that whenever he plays pickup hoops, nobody puts a body on him. They're all too afraid of the Secret Service.

Ripe for parody!

Can you imagine a president that wanted to play paintball? I cant think of anything that would spin the wheels of the Secret Service more...the president of the USA playing a game where people try to shoot him...the poor S.S. guys would go out of their minds trying to deal with that one!

#85 User is offline   SpudCrushr 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 January 2009 - 12:44 PM

View PostThe Stuntman, on Jan 20 2009, 03:41 PM, said:

Ripe for parody!

Can you imagine a president that wanted to play paintball? I cant think of anything that would spin the wheels of the Secret Service more...the president of the USA playing a game where people try to shoot him...the poor S.S. guys would go out of their minds trying to deal with that one!

That would be extremely good training for them though..
Posted Image

#86 User is offline   Becc 

• Target
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Beccolter

Posted 20 January 2009 - 12:49 PM

Id be taking it a lot better if i didnt have to watch his inaugeration while my classmates and even the teachers made fun of bush, the guy giving the prayer (during the prayer too), and i didnt have to explain who cheney was to someone. I mean, they dont know who the vp of the united states is, nvm what he look like, and theyre the ones who picked the next president? Great. I trust that judgement.

#87 User is offline   SpudCrushr 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 January 2009 - 12:53 PM

View PostBecc, on Jan 20 2009, 03:49 PM, said:

Id be taking it a lot better if i didnt have to watch his inaugeration while my classmates and even the teachers made fun of bush, the guy giving the prayer (during the prayer too), and i didnt have to explain who cheney was to someone. I mean, they dont know who the vp of the united states is, nvm what he look like, and theyre the ones who picked the next president? Great. I trust that judgement.

That's because you have these lazy bums on welfare voting for whoever will give them the most money so they can keep sitting on their butts getting fat.
Posted Image

#88 User is offline   MurderDeathKill 

• Spot 31
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MurderDeathKill

Posted 20 January 2009 - 12:58 PM

You know.... I ride Obama an awful lot for his line about "Hope and Change." The change part, well, I'm sure we'd all like to change SOMETHING about this country, that's the whole point of democracy. But "Hope?" It's vague enough that most of us just pass it off as fluff. I'm starting to think thhat's a mistake. I think hope is important -- maybe the most important thing for the country right now. And say what you will about Obama, but he's sure drummed up hope. I expect good things to come of that, and if for that reason alone, I'm glad today went so well as it did.

Now if only we could cure the Chief Justice of Alzheimer's, scratched out a better "national poet," and extended the racial jokes in the benediction, I think today would've been damn near perfect. As it stands, I'll take it. And I'll look forward to what the next four years will bring.
Go Yoda -- I didn't order that!
Posted Image
T-6 A Texan II -- Vance AFB -- 71OTG Ghostriders -- 8FTS Ballers -- Cobra Flight

#89 User is offline   CamoDeafie 

• LVL 0 Human class flanker-
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:03 PM

are you so sure that SNL is gonna parody Obama!? i mean....look what they did to Sarah Palin.............. :laugh: and i've NEVER seen anything like that given to Clinton....except on MadTV.....when he left office..... but during his tenure, i didnt see any parody being made of Bill Clinton...the news were all over charles and DI, JonBenet, OJ Simpson, Micheal Jackson...........heck even the Kennedy family...... but no parody of Bill CLinton...except a few skits here and there about Monica...or interns.... but nothing else....... when the Media only gave a few lines on page B5 of the news to a few soldiers dying in an accident or blurbs about Bosnia/Serbia/Kosovo/Yugoslavia.... that told me the Media didnt care for the military during the Clinton Years....and then for 8 straight years, media reported bad news all the time on the troops in Iraq and Afghanistan during Bush;s tenure.....seemingly trying to sabotage Bush's ratings just so the Dems can get their man in.. lets see what happens during Obama's tenure....
Team Black Sheep, Oregon Division
ex-gunwhore
"All at is subject to political manipulation except that which speaks the language of the same manipulation."-N.S.K./Laibach
"I think wearing camo is dishonorable " - /-wear me!?

#90 User is offline   MurderDeathKill 

• Spot 31
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MurderDeathKill

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:06 PM

Rest assured that they'll parody the Chief Justice and the benediction, if not Obama himself.
Go Yoda -- I didn't order that!
Posted Image
T-6 A Texan II -- Vance AFB -- 71OTG Ghostriders -- 8FTS Ballers -- Cobra Flight

Share this topic:

• (40 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users