Special Ops Paintball: Tru-Spec BDUs in Crye Multicam: The Straight Dope - Special Ops Paintball

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tru-Spec BDUs in Crye Multicam: The Straight Dope High-Tech Camo in a Traditional Cut

#1 User is offline   Lil' C 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:C

Post icon  Posted 23 April 2007 - 08:00 PM

Shoulder Velcro. Mandarin collars. Slanted bellows pockets with drawstrings. Knee-pad compatibility. Tuck-in tails.

Welcome to the feature-laden world of 21st-century tactical battle dress.

Not only have the various service branches differentiated their uniforms from more traditional battle dress utility styles and patterns in favor of tactically minded enhancements, but also tactical apparel contractors have followed suit, creating their own uniform designs and camouflage patterns for the military, law enforcement, and civilian markets.

Crye Precision's Multicam, a multi-environment blending-type camo pattern printed only on in-house fabrics licensed to third-party vendors, is the hottest camo pattern of the new breed. Tru-Spec is perhaps the biggest manufacturer to sign on in spite of Crye's hefty royalties and use genuine Multicam fabrics to produce two lines of tactical field apparel for both the professional and civilian markets. Tru-Spec first introduced a Multicam version of their popular Tactical Response Uniform (TRU, previously reviewed on this forum), styled identically to the Army Combat Uniform (ACU, which they also produce) with all its tactical features and some additional subtle hop-ups, priced nearly twice as much as their solid-color civilian TRUs (but still considerably less than Crye's own field apparel) to offset Crye's fees and take advantage of the expected demand. Now Tru-Spec has made delivery on Multicam uniforms in a traditional four-pocket blouse/six-pocket trouser BDU cut at a price point that's about half that of Crye's R6 Field line.

Posted Image

Tru-Spec's Multicam BDUs are the niftiest traditional battle dress utilities you are going to find. The quality, stitching, and finishing are excellent for mass-produced Honduras-assembled mil-spec goods made from US materials. Everything is even, the seams are straight, and there are no hanging threads or minor irregularities. You can tell these are going to last. So what are they like?

First, the fabric. It's genuine Crye Multicam 50-50 nylon-cotton blend in a 6-1/2-ounce weight. Tru-Spec opted for the rugged (and less common) rip-stop weave instead of the usual twill Crye fabric. This stuff (apart from the pattern) is basically identical to the material in issue ACUs. It looks crisp, it looks tough, and it looks tactical. When it washes up, it has a soft hand, more like that of 100% cotton than the typical 65-35 poly-cotton blend you find in most commercial-grade BDUs (including Tru-Spec's), yet it maintains a hard exterior finish through repeated wash cycles, neither fading nor fuzzing up. It moves easily on the body with no stiffness or noise, and it helps the wearer stay thermostable through a variety of temperatures and activity levels, with excellent strength and abrasion-resistance.

Then there's the fit. Tru-Spec's traditional BDU design differs very little from the commercial-grade design we've seen for decades. The four-pocket tail-out blouse is sized about as you would expect, with sleeves and a body slightly longer than those of the same-sized top in a Rothco Ultra Force BDU. The TRU BDU is slightly narrower through the body and waist than the ultra-traditional Rothco top, and it is flared slightly below the waist with slightly bigger pockets, all set vertically with two buttons for closure. The Tru-Spec BDU's front closure is covered buttons with a typical fold-over shirt-style collar at the top. There are three cuff buttons on each sleeve. The pants are even closer to the traditional archetype, with two font, two besom back, and straight-topped bellows cargo pockets, each with a standard two-button closure -- less secure than more modern variants (especially for heavy items) but "easy in, easy out". There are no drawstrings, no Velcro tabs, no extra tactical calf pockets, and no knee pad slots in the Tru-Spec BDUs. These BDUs quietly murmur no-frills functionality. The pants are sized slightly larger at the waist than Rothco BDU pants, but with slightly more waist adjustment thanks to twin side tab adjusters. They are relatively generous through the seat as well. The Tru-Spec pants are a hair on the short side though,so longer-legged ballers (32" inseam or longer) may want to consider ordering a Long length. Nylon blousing tapes are threaded through each cuff, the only component of the Tru-Spec BDUs that looks and feels decidedly cheap.

So who are Tru-Spec Multicam BDUs right for? A gear maven who delights in every minute tactical feature of today's modern uniform and likes to have a pocket for every item when he trudges onto the paintball field is going to find them a bit lacking, and he should upgrade to TRUs instead. Knee-pad wearers will definitely miss the lack of internal compatability for pads at the joints of this uniform. Hard-charging athletic paintballers may find the generous cut of Special Ops's custom Multicam Marauders, along with its hardy, abrasion-resistant Cordura joints, suits their play style better than those of the Tru-Specs. However, these BDUs are exactly right for a more budget-minded traditionalist who likes things a bit simpler, one who doesn't require bells and whistles in his battle dress but appreciates traditional style and wants superior camouflage and feel in his woodsball attire.

As of this writing, AFMO has a fairly decent supply of Tru-Spec BDU tops and bottoms in a range of sizes (including Longs), at a very nice price of $60 for a single top or bottom and $105 for a full set. That's only $15 more than a set of the well-made Asian Multicam knock-offs from Real Action Paintball -- and you're getting a significant fabric upgrade in genuine Crye rip-stop ny-co -- so don't expect AFMO's current shipment to last long...

This post has been edited by Lil' C: 27 April 2007 - 09:11 PM

Sigs aren't actually allowed on the Special Ops Forum, so I don't have one.

#2 User is offline   tacwraps 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 24 April 2007 - 03:23 AM

Great review! Going this the ripstop fabric was an excellent choice. In my experience, it's a perfect combination of light-weight and durability (I use it for my headwraps). I only wish that someone would start selling long-sleeve t-shirts in multicam, for the really hot days out in the field.

#3 User is offline   Camo Charlie 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 24 April 2007 - 04:15 AM

I bought a MultiCam TRU set from AFMO. They have been having some supplier issues so I haven't received the complete set yet. My blouse (shirt) is in stock but they are waiting to receive my trousers before they ship out the order. AFMO's prices are very reasonable compared to other dealers/retailers.

If you are interested in genuine Crye MultiCam, just be aware that that you may be waiting a month (or longer) for certain sizes. Also, AFMO is not the only dealer/retailer experiencing supplier issues.

This post has been edited by Camo Charlie: 24 April 2007 - 04:17 AM

Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

#4 User is offline   Lil' C 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 24 April 2007 - 08:23 AM

tacwraps, on Apr 24 2007, 03:23 AM, said:

Great review! Going this the ripstop fabric was an excellent choice. In my experience, it's a perfect combination of light-weight and durability (I use it for my headwraps). I only wish that someone would start selling long-sleeve t-shirts in multicam, for the really hot days out in the field.

Unfortunately, until Crye starts marketing a knit fabric version of Multicam, it's not going to happen...

I wish they would make a printed stretch fabric with the same content as the body of their Combat Shirts.

#5 User is offline   Camo Charlie 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 26 April 2007 - 03:00 PM

Lil, on Apr 24 2007, 08:23 AM, said:

tacwraps, on Apr 24 2007, 03:23 AM, said:

Unfortunately, until Crye starts marketing a knit fabric version of Multicam, it's not going to happen...

I wish they would make a printed stretch fabric with the same content as the body of their Combat Shirts.

Still waiting for my order from AFMO...

This post has been edited by Camo Charlie: 04 May 2007 - 03:59 AM

Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

#6 User is offline   Raziel66 

• What would Chesty do?
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Raziel66

Posted 26 April 2007 - 03:29 PM

Great review!
I like the multicam pattern, but I hate ACU's... :dry: I'll have to save up for what Crye sells.

#7 User is offline   Lil' C 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 27 April 2007 - 05:06 PM

Raziel66, on Apr 26 2007, 03:29 PM, said:

Great review!
I like the multicam pattern, but I hate ACU's... :rolleyes: I'll have to save up for what Crye sells.

Of you could buy these, genuine Crye-fabric in a BDU (not ACU) cut, at half the price. Up to you.

#8 User is offline   xscout 

• Texas OPFOR Team Leader
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:xscout

Posted 27 April 2007 - 06:52 PM

Beware of tru-spec fading after the first wash...my brand new, washed once and never played in 100% ripstop cotton marpat bdu's
have seriously faded, and thats using salt as a dye-fast, cold water, and drip dry...
just a heads-up on tru-spec in case you were wondering.

#9 User is offline   Lil' C 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 27 April 2007 - 09:04 PM

xscout, on Apr 27 2007, 06:52 PM, said:

Beware of tru-spec fading after the first wash...my brand new, washed once and never played in 100% ripstop cotton marpat bdu's
have seriously faded, and thats using salt as a dye-fast, cold water, and drip dry...

Not an issue here, because unlike their other fade-prone copy camo patterns printed on 65-35 poly-cotton twill, for the Multicam TRUs and these Multicam BDUs Tru-Spec has procured and licensed genuine Crye rip-stop fabric (they buy it from Crye!) -- the EXACT same stuff Crye uses for their R6 Field line. Since it is the same fabric, it holds up equally well in the wash to Crye, Special Ops, or SKD ny-co Multicam goods.

#10 User is offline   French 

• Group:Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:QC MAD KID

Posted 28 April 2007 - 01:07 PM

Lil 'C what kind of job do you have too be able to buy that much paintball gear
INFLUENCE 09 Vaughan Vipers RXL 2k10
WARNING HEAVY METAL click me /Here my feedback
Tdot feedback Group banned# 13 MCB feedback

#11 User is offline   xscout 

• Texas OPFOR Team Leader
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:xscout

Posted 28 April 2007 - 07:51 PM

Lil, on Apr 27 2007, 11:04 PM, said:

xscout, on Apr 27 2007, 06:52 PM, said:

Not an issue here, because unlike their other fade-prone copy camo patterns printed on 65-35 poly-cotton twill, for the Multicam TRUs and these Multicam BDUs Tru-Spec has procured and licensed genuine Crye rip-stop fabric (they buy it from Crye!) -- the EXACT same stuff Crye uses for their R6 Field line. Since it is the same fabric, it holds up equally well in the wash to Crye, Special Ops, or SKD ny-co Multicam goods.

Yep, I can confirm it is crye fabric being used in the multicams...65-35...my local surplus store has them.
woah, 65 bucks for a shirt, 70 for the pants.

I'll pass, but if thats what you are willing to spend your money on, looks good!

#12 User is offline   French 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 April 2007 - 01:38 PM

LiL'C how tall are you and how big ,i want to know if it would fit me

Last thing Lil 'C what kind of job do you have too be able to buy that much paintball gear[/quote]

This post has been edited by QC MAD KID: 29 April 2007 - 01:38 PM

#13 User is offline   Lil' C 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:23 PM

QC MAD KID, on Apr 29 2007, 01:38 PM, said:

LiL'C how tall are you and how big ,i want to know if it would fit me
6'2", 175#, 42 Long or 44 Regular coat, 32"x34" trouser.

Last thing Lil 'C what kind of job do you have too be able to buy that much paintball gear
I jack nuns on their way to mass. :dry:

#14 User is offline   French 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:34 PM

42'' you mean arm length
dam i got to stop growing 6'4'' 215 lbs
nice job :wacko:

last thing do you have a website from where you bought them

#15 User is offline   Lil' C 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 01 May 2007 - 04:06 PM

QC MAD KID, on Apr 30 2007, 06:34 PM, said:

42'' you mean arm length
dam i got to stop growing 6'4'' 215 lbs
nice job :ghillie:

last thing do you have a website from where you bought them

(42 Long is a tailored coat size, like if you were gonna buy a suit.) I got 'em from AFMO.com.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users