Special Ops Paintball: Official Military Service Q&A Thread - Special Ops Paintball

• (69 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Official Military Service Q&A Thread All Military Questions Here! Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   WardenWolf 

• Aspie Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:WardenWolf

Posted 11 November 2007 - 01:18 PM

Because I've been noticing a LOT of questions being fielded about military service recently, in order to cut down on the tons of redundant threads I'm creating this thread. I may sticky this, depending on the response we get.

Now, the Rules:

1. No criticizing or flaming someone's choice of service (or their job within that service). Keep inter-service and inter-division rivalry OUT of this!

2. Keep on topic. Non-military-related posts will be deleted and, if necessary, the poster Warned.

3. Treat others with RESPECT. Military service involves major sacrifice, and when talking to anyone who's served, you would do well to remember that sacrifice.

Here is some good general info from Meline-

General Tips on How to Suceed in the Army....

Rank E1-E4-
These ranks are the "give me ranks" as you can do nothing and as long as you don't get yourself flagged for a PT, Hight/weight failure or an article 15 you will get promoted.

Ways to excell-
1. PT, the better you do the better off you are.
2. Weapons qual. Keep your eyes and ears open for weapons classes and volunteer for as many as you can.
3. Corespondance courses- Goto https://www.aimsrdl....ed/accp_top.htm and start taking them they are worth promotion points.
4. Combat Lifesaver Course- Good to have and worth points.
5. Soldier of the month boards. Shows you want to excell and good experience for the E5 board.
6. Seek extra responcablities
7. Once you get the hang of what is going on (E3-E4) start taking charge. You know what needs to be done, take charge on your own and get the guys moving to get it done before you have to be told.
8. Univerisity of Pheonix college classes if you have time.

Rank E4(p) and above.
This is where things get harder. In order to move up you are competing for points against everyone else in teh Army who is in that MOS.

Ways to excell-
1. PT, you need to max or score a 290+ for an excell on your NCOER.
2. Corespondance courses again, 80+ credit hours will usually give you an excell on your NCOER.
3. Performance and Event Counseling statements. If you do something above and beyond or really good make sure you get it documented.
4. MAKE SURE your 4100 and NCOER reflects your points and YOU. If your NCOER sucks talk to your rater or Senior rater!! Your NCOER reflects you, you can be teh highest speed soldier alive but if your NCOER sucks that is what people see and you'll loose points. Remember the bullet comments on your NCOER have to be supportable, so if you did things that aren't documented they don't count. So have documentation.
5. Lead by Example!! Always!! No if, ands, or buts. Your troops will fallow your example so make damn sure its a good example.
6. Leadership advice- Never make threats you are not willing to carry out. Never play favorites. Look out for your troops and they will look out for you. Never slack on counselling your guys or puttng them in for awards.
7. Sergeant’s Time/ Opportunity training- Plan for it in advance. This is your time, make the most of it. Don't make your guys suffer "Busy work" baecause you didn't plan for down time.
8. NCO boards.

This post has been edited by Teddy K: 12 November 2007 - 09:14 PM

Kanye: "Yo, Chile, I'm gonna let you finish shakin', but I just got to say Haiti had one of the best earthquakes of all time!"
Save a tree: wipe your ass with a hippie!

#2 User is offline   MurderDeathKill 

• Spot 31
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MurderDeathKill

Posted 11 November 2007 - 01:43 PM

Well I do appreciate the idea, but I'm not sure one thread can contain all the military questions/discussions 'round here... but we'll give it a shot. Anyway I'm here to answer questions, AFA cadet, exactly 563 days from commission into the USAF.
Go Yoda -- I didn't order that!
Posted Image
T-6 A Texan II -- Vance AFB -- 71OTG Ghostriders -- 8FTS Ballers -- Cobra Flight

#3 User is offline   Matt 

• ELITE Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2007 - 01:47 PM

Any of you joining after high school? I am. I will be 17 when I graduate boot camp if I join when I am planning to.

This post has been edited by Matt: 11 November 2007 - 01:47 PM

#4 User is offline   SubMiler 

• Pistolero
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2007 - 02:05 PM

I'm considering that after I graduate college (Bio/Physical Therapy as major) of joining the army and joining up as a medical personnal (no idea what really, maybe combat medic) for a few years before getting enough cash to pay off student loans and then having enough to go get my doctorate in physical therapy & sports medicine. Any thoughts on what I should expect or look into? I may even consider going into the SF as a medic.

I'm not too concerned about the physical fitness, I can do situps & pushups to my hearts content, along with chinups, and run 15 miles at 6:30 pace without breaking a sweat. I just have no clue about everything else and how the army operates. I don't think they'd let me do 2 hour runs everyday...

This post has been edited by SubMiler: 11 November 2007 - 02:06 PM

#5 User is offline   Matt 

• ELITE Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2007 - 02:07 PM

I believe you would get more out of joining the Marines, based on what you said. Only problem, is in the Marines you do not get to pick you job, so there is a chance you would not get what you want.

#6 User is offline   MurderDeathKill 

• Spot 31
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MurderDeathKill

Posted 11 November 2007 - 02:17 PM

The medical path is unique. It's different in every service, too, but for the most part you have combat medical personnel, who generally just keep people from dying long enough to receive real care, and then you have medical facility personnel. This is the heart of medical care... people don't get better because a Corpsman slapped a really good band-aid on a bullet wound (that's illustrative -- I don't mean to sound condescending to field medics, they're awesome).

With a college degree in hand and a medical-ish background, odds are pretty good that you can get yourself into the real medical line. You're looking at a commission at probably O-3 or above -- that's a good signing bonus if ever there was one. You'll have OCS/OTS (officer candidate/training school), plenty of military-specific medical training, and after that I dunno -- didn't go that route, myself. But the gist of it is, you get made. Hard work, but you get made. Most people who enter the military for medical whatsit don't leave until they have to.
Go Yoda -- I didn't order that!
Posted Image
T-6 A Texan II -- Vance AFB -- 71OTG Ghostriders -- 8FTS Ballers -- Cobra Flight

#7 User is offline   commando kyle 

• Feel free to salute at any time.
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Commando_Kyle

Posted 11 November 2007 - 02:49 PM

If you go the combat medic route through the Army, you can get in, and then go through the process to become a PA, M6 (nurse) or whatever else you want to do.

Combat medicine is an awesome field to go into, and I really enjoyed my time in Ft. Sam.

Oh, and Marines dont have medics. They have Navy Corpsmen.

MDK, I have to disagree. Pre hospital care is the heart of military medicine. 95 percent of deaths happen before someone is able to reach the hospital. Its that first caregiver that really makes the difference, whether its a CLS 11b, medic, or just a buddy slapping on a CAT tourniquet from the IFAK on his wounded buddies vest.

This post has been edited by commando kyle: 11 November 2007 - 02:53 PM

OIF '08 OEF '09-'10
Camo Bandits-"By Force and Valor"

#8 User is offline   PaintGuido 

• Holding open doors since '99
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:N/A

Posted 11 November 2007 - 02:58 PM

Hey, I read in the Times that the marines have banned 'sleeves' (aka full length arm tatoos).

What do you think?

#9 User is offline   Matt 

• ELITE Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2007 - 07:38 PM

View PostPaintGuido, on Nov 11 2007, 01:58 PM, said:

Hey, I read in the Times that the marines have banned 'sleeves' (aka full length arm tatoos).

What do you think?

I think it is a good thing they had banned sleeves. I think it would look really bad to see a Marine in uniform, than look down at his arms and see they are covered in tattoos. Basically, I think they give Marines a bad image.

#10 User is offline   UWANNAGO 

• Im kind of a big deal, people know me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Brigade Name:UWANNAGO

Posted 11 November 2007 - 07:42 PM

This is for airforce and marines.

How long until you get paid from the time you enter bootcamp.

Is it right when you finish, is it right when you come in, is it when you get established with a job?

Just curious to know...I was considering either Marines or USAF and to be brutally honest I wanna know when any sort of cash flow would start.

Peace,
Teddy K

#11 User is offline   Ethrealwolf 

• If we must die, we will die. but we will never yield.
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:HALOWOLF

Posted 11 November 2007 - 08:11 PM

View PostTeddy K, on Nov 11 2007, 06:42 PM, said:

Is it right when you finish, is it right when you come in, is it when you get established with a job?

Just curious to know...I was considering either Marines or USAF and to be brutally honest I wanna know when any sort of cash flow would start.

Peace,
Teddy K

IDK about the airforce, but when i joined i started receiving pay the moment my feet hit those yellow bootprints. Of course, yor first paycheck and part of your second are eaten up by gear and all the stuff you gotta pay for. you also get a 300$ 'smart card' for use at the recruit exchange... but that gets eaten up really fast. on the up side, you'll have money once you get outta basic, because you really can't spend it while you're there.
We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
We ran to the sounds of the thunder.
We danced among the lightning bolts,
and tore the world asunder.

http://onpaintball.blogspot.com/

#12 User is offline   commando kyle 

• Feel free to salute at any time.
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Commando_Kyle

Posted 11 November 2007 - 08:13 PM

Id figure for the AF its pretty similar, because thats how it went in the Army.
OIF '08 OEF '09-'10
Camo Bandits-"By Force and Valor"

#13 User is offline   Corrupt07 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Corrupt07

Posted 11 November 2007 - 08:14 PM

I was just informed by my father (Marine) that when he was in '83 - '87 that you got base pay for a private while in bootcamp. I'm not sure if it is still the same way, but just a little information there.

#14 User is offline   Matt 

• ELITE Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2007 - 08:15 PM

View PostEthrealwolf, on Nov 11 2007, 07:11 PM, said:

View PostTeddy K, on Nov 11 2007, 06:42 PM, said:

Peace,
Teddy K

IDK about the airforce, but when i joined i started receiving pay the moment my feet hit those yellow bootprints. Of course, yor first paycheck and part of your second are eaten up by gear and all the stuff you gotta pay for. you also get a 300$ 'smart card' for use at the recruit exchange... but that gets eaten up really fast. on the up side, you'll have money once you get outta basic, because you really can't spend it while you're there.

Like he said, you start getting paid from the moment you start boot camp. And he is also correct about you getting a 300 dollar card and you having to buy all your gear. But, save your reciepts, because all of what you buy during boot camp is taxt deductable.

#15 User is offline   The Shepherd 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Shepherd

Posted 11 November 2007 - 08:16 PM

Anyone here from SOCOM? I was wondering what the pay rate is. And is it mostly boredom and training or do you guys go on missions more often then not?

Share this topic:

• (69 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users