Special Ops Paintball: Tiberius 8.0 vs 8.1, first strike asside. - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tiberius 8.0 vs 8.1, first strike asside. Talk about the suble design differences Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   motherboard1 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 November 2010 - 10:23 AM

I don't think this topic has been approached yet. First strike aside, I'd like to touch on a couple of the subtle design changes.

I'v been looking at the 8.1 and wondering. I would consider the following to be a step backwards

Con

#1 Rubber detents instead of metal detents.

#2 The need to eject the mag to remove and squeegie the barrel. I never felt like I was going to lose my barrel before. But trying to squeegie should be interesting now.

Edit: It seams this is only when there are 1 or 0 balls left in the marker. Or when using 8.0 magazines in the marker, which requires a simple barrel modification anyway, which can correct this issue as well.

#3 The middle receiver screw (most important one) now on the bottom, and threaded into the receiver itself. minor I guess.

#4 Thicker barrel. Looks

#5 Loss of mag counter. A simple mod made the old counter work and I always relied on it to prevent me from changing a 12 gram too early, or too late.

#6 Loss of anodizing. Probably the biggest con.

-----

I would consider the following to be improvements

Pros

#1 New milling rear. Makes the marker look smaller in the back. Subjective.

#2 Flat black color. A pro to some, But its painted not anodized now. This is a Big con to me.

#3 Rear block removal. Ease of maintenance.

#4 Tool less 12 gram change.

-------

Overall. The only painful setbacks are the loss of anodizing, and the bigger barrel.

This post has been edited by motherboard1: 25 November 2010 - 11:53 AM

#2 User is offline   IIIce 

• Stay.Frosty.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:IIIce

Posted 06 November 2010 - 11:40 AM

Well first of all I own a T8.1 and it has the top viewing hole so that is not true. The barrel change i'd assume is due to FS, I like that you have to eject the mag to take barrel out that was clever. And its pretty standard at 3 loads a mag air is done.Rubber doesn't rust. And I don't think you can really set aside FS rounds because they are THAT awesome. I was going to buy a TPX before I did research. Watch this great video that shows you difference between the T8.1 and T8, get the T8.1 dude, it rocks.

This post has been edited by IIIce: 06 November 2010 - 11:52 AM

#3 User is offline   motherboard1 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 November 2010 - 07:24 AM

Well first of all I own a T8.1 and it has the top viewing hole so that is not true. The barrel change I'd assume is due to FS, I like that you have to eject the mag to take barrel out that was clever. And its pretty standard at 3 loads a mag air is done.Rubber doesn't rust. And I don't think you can really set aside FS rounds because they are THAT awesome. I was going to buy a TPX before I did research. Watch this great video that shows you difference between the T8.1 and T8, get the T8.1 dude, it rocks.

I had my Tiberius for around 2.5 years. Used extensively because I play a lot, and its been submerged completely at least a couple times, and the barrel washed under the tap after every days play, given a shake and put away. No signs of rust ever appeared on the detents. Now ask me how many rubber detents of various markers I'v seen wear out over the same amount of time. Still not a big deal over all I'd agree, but not better.

You could assume that the barrel thickness is due to the first strike, only if you assume you can slide a barrel of the same thickness into the 8.0, because there is a first strike conversion kit for the 8.0, and I'm only pretty sure it has metal detents too.

You say you like that you have to eject the mag to take the barrel out because its clever? Ya it was a very clever joke they played on every T 8.1 user trying to squeegie his barrel in a hurry, and without alerting his opponents.

And its pretty standard at 3 loads a mag air is done

Ya that's pretty standard, but you are missing the point. Watch this.

Question: How many uses has each of my 4 Tiberius 8.0 mags had? I need to know so I don't get stuck with 2 choices... change them all, or find out when I run out in the middle of a mag.

Answer: 1 has been used twice, 2 have been used once, and 1 is due for a change.

I can only tell you this because of the shot counters. Otherwise I might as well change them all right now. I face this question after every game where I've used my pistol. Now I'll be stuck using a crayon on my 12 grams. Pain in the ass. I used to just reload an expended mag after the game, and dial up the counter.

Thanks for the Video, its a good showing of the two side by side. I have actually seen it a few times already, its what I'v drawn my opinions from.

This post has been edited by motherboard1: 07 November 2010 - 02:35 PM

#4 User is offline   IIIce 

• Stay.Frosty.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:IIIce

Posted 07 November 2010 - 05:23 PM

View Postmotherboard1, on 07 November 2010 - 10:24 AM, said:

You say you like that you have to eject the mag to take the barrel out because its clever? Ya it was a very clever joke they played on every T 8.1 user trying to squeegie his barrel in a hurry, and without alerting his opponents.

..Lol that's kinda funny, sorry. But yeah I can understand how that would be frustrating as hell. Shot counter does sound like a good idea, but I think they made some good improvements overall. I still think what they did with the barrel is great, it's extremely easy to pop out and clean.

#5 User is offline   Syphorus 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 08 November 2010 - 10:22 PM

Dont forget the .1's have a lighter trigger pull.

#6 User is offline   motherboard1 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:36 AM

View PostSyphorus, on 08 November 2010 - 10:22 PM, said:

Dont forget the .1's have a lighter trigger pull.

Thats false. I've owned both. The T 8.1 comes with a spring that adds resistance, but so did some of the later 8.0s I believe. Minus this spring, trigger pull is identical. I removed mine immediately because it makes an annoying clicky sound.

The biggest downside is the loss of the anodizing.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users