Special Ops Paintball: how should sabres play be? offense...defense? both? let me know - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

how should sabres play be? offense...defense? both? let me know Rate Topic: -----

#16 User is offline   Drothghight 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:26 PM

Yeah, Wimpy, it's really that simple, but on the field it plays out far more chaotic for it to be that simple. ;) Not impugning your opinion, but woodsball is nuts and when there's so many walk-ons, newbies, and veteran squads working their own tactics, playing Sabre can be challenging (and rewarding, as a result).

The way I play is based solely on the style of game I'm currently playing in. Mission Masters employs 20 minute mission formats, in which the first five minutes is free reinsertion at a designated reinsertion spot (usually near your team's start point). After this five minute period is over, if you get shot, you're out, but this solves the issue of medics and other kill box-style insertions. In the 20-minute mission format, this insertion works. So how I play in the first five minutes is crucial - I go all out aggressive and bring as many squads with me as I can in order to capture key frontline spots on the field near the objectives for the mission. If I get shot out while securing these areas, I go back and reinsert. Usually, I'm pretty winded by then, so my style relaxes into a more observational role, watching from just out of range of the enemy positions to see where I can be of use. If the frontline has collapsed, my goal is to use flanking and angles to retake it; if the frontline is holding and eliminating the enemy mirrors, I reinforce that assault and attempt to take the objective; if the objective is taken, I charge the guys up and help them take up defenses, then move to another area of the field to assist and pester the opposition.

The key to the Sabre position - hell, ANY position in paintball - is communication. I'm a vocal player, but not the annoying screamer type. I yell when I need to, but rarely bark orders out. People play paintball for fun, primarily, not for military strategy or realism. I've found that when you take it too seriously, people don't listen as well. But if you rally around them and lead by example, being a Sabre is VERY rewarding.
B.T. "Hollywood" Robertson
Mission Masters Design Mercenary and Scribe
Posted Image

#17 User is offline   REBELS_PEACHZ 

• I have ADD, you wouldn't understand....LOOK A SQUIRREL!
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:PEACHZ

Posted 14 March 2009 - 02:23 PM

I'm with JackRock on this one. I don't set out on a sunday with the mindset of this is the position I'm going to play. For me, it just depends who shows up, who's on my team, game type and where we're playing. To the question at hand though; I'm usually more defensive minded when playing. For one, I'm a bigger, slower guy, so I don't mind covering our tails and watching the flanks while the rabbits go running. I have my good days though where I'm the one hauling tail and with the front runners. I figure it can't hurt to challenge yourself and your game each day you go. Anyway, there you go, another Sabre's opinion.
Happy Shooting
Official Sabre #75 If We Cant Do It, It Doesnt Need To Be Done!
Christian Paintballer
Tippmann Owner's Club #112

#18 User is offline   Crenchy 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Crenchy

Posted 15 March 2009 - 11:26 AM

Well it all depends on the situation, us Sabre's role is to fill in wherever possible. I consider myself a Sabre because i play most every position, like mentioned above it all depends on who is on my team, what the circumstances are and what i feel would be best for my team. I usually play a little more conservative though and wait for my chance to flank and get and angle on the opponent(s). But I have been known to bunker people, surpress, and also "snipe". Just gotta mix it up, that is just what i believe us Sabre's should do.

#19 User is offline   Drothghight 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:46 AM

To be honest, I think that's what all paintball players should do. I think in a larger scenario game, it's difficult to say "I play this position", even Sabre. If you're playing up because your front lines collapse all the time, I would consider myself a Dagger for that day, not a Sabre. Just like I've seen "Daggers" fall back and play Heavy Rifleman position. If that's the case, are we really tattooed to any one style or named position? In a squad where you don't worry about anyone else around you, sure, perhaps you can stick with one job. But in a big game, how is that even possible?
Posted Image

#20 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 March 2009 - 07:40 AM

View PostDrothghight, on Mar 16 2009, 08:46 AM, said:

If that's the case, are we really tattooed to any one style or named position? In a squad where you don't worry about anyone else around you, sure, perhaps you can stick with one job. But in a big game, how is that even possible?

It's not -- which is why paintball players should come prepared to do anything they can to help the greater team for a big game - from suppressive fire to running point to running logistics and coordination - in the same day.

Sure, some players will be better at some job than another, but they should be able to adapt. Flexibility is key to success in a big game or scenario.
Member of Team Akkadian

#21 User is offline   Drothghight 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2009 - 08:09 AM

Good points, Thalion. That just begs the question: why worry about positions at all, then? When I'm in my Brigade page, I only have the Sabre listed as my position, but in truth I've been all over the place. Sabre is my most common spot, but I've been in the others multiple times. I know it's a system to track our basic play structure, but in truth it doesn't really seem to fit in paintball as well as the military for obvious reasons. :dodgy:
Posted Image

#22 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2009 - 08:28 AM

View PostDrothghight, on Mar 18 2009, 10:09 AM, said:

Good points, Thalion. That just begs the question: why worry about positions at all, then?

I don't. :dodgy:

I think positions are just marketing left over from the days of the position-specific gear on SO.

Now that they're moving away from that (judging by the number of sabre, dagger, and broadsword "sick deals" to clear inventory), we may see less people focusing on it too. Maybe not, but we can hope the players figure it out, right?
Member of Team Akkadian

#23 User is offline   Drothghight 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2009 - 11:31 AM

Funny you mention that. :rolleyes: Being a SpecOps site forum, I wasn't sure if that kind of talk was allowed! lol My friend has told me that it's nothing but marketing for their gear, too, so now that I hear the exact same opinion from you, I'm thinking that's dead on. :evil: It's a shame, really, because the entire idea of positions is actually quite cool because you have a set of field goals that you can work toward, or at least that's how I look at it. But when it plays out during a game, it's really very dynamic and not truly accurate at all. Paintballers just want to shoot people, by and large, and accomplish their objectives (if a scenario is in play) - they'll do whatever it takes to do those two things, regardless of position. :)
Posted Image

#24 User is offline   Dread Pirate 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Dread Pirate

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:51 AM

View Posttippmann addict, on Jan 18 2009, 04:28 PM, said:

so i know many sabres and many paintball players and was wondering your opinion on your style of play....if you are a sabre. letme know your opinion.....thanks

For one, if you are built like me, (5'8", 145 lbs) totally ignore the vast amounts of paint and vest suggestions Specops says to carry. I tried that in the 2006 Global Conquest game at Hellsurvivors. I loaded my Sabre vest with all the paint it was designed to carry, plus my air, plus a camelback water pouch, and then added my gun and sling on top of that, and it about killed me. I will -never- need 8 pods of paint, nor all those map/radio pouches. What I did instead, was I bought a 6+1 Redz comfort pack online, then ordered a chalker sling from Blackhawk. I wear the lightweight camo from SpecOps, and stick my folded, laminated map in one of the leg pockets, and I have a web pouch for my radio, which I attach to the molle points on the chalker sling. Now my kit keeps me cooler, is lighter, and better attached. During luls in the action, or when I'm dead, I can just clip my gun onto the chalker sling, and it hangs across my chest. Get into a paint fight, and one quick tug on the red tab frees the gun for use.

I tend to play the 'second wave'. Alone in a scenario game, without my squadmates, I usually trail the sprinters at a jog, and decide what to do depending on what happens to them. If I see some prime 'ghosting' opportunities, I go for that, if the sprinters need cover, I longball. If the other team leaves an opening for a flank, I'll tell the nearest person who looks like a 'broadsword' to cover me, and I sprint the length of the course.

The SpecOps definition of a Sabre does a good job of defining their typical role, but you need to keep in mind that your gear needs to support your putting on any of the other hats if needed. To that extent, I try to be ready to reconfigure my gun off the field rapidly, so besides my normal setup, I have an Apex barrel for suppression fire, and a stubby little freak kit for light rifleman duties, as well as a drop forward sitting in my bag in the dead zone. I suppose the moral of the story is, a medium rifleman is a jack of all trades, but a supporter of the team at heart. I rarely get to storm the opposing team, and eliminate other players, but I do get to keep their attention away from the guys getting ready to do just that, using suppressing fire. Like a pawn on the chess board, our stated job is to trade blows with the other team, but pawns can be turned into any other piece if the situation is right. And we don't have to reach the back row to do it :laugh:

#25 User is offline   Aaron723 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Aaron723

Posted 24 April 2009 - 05:20 PM

The Sabre is the Jack of All trades. I carry a total of 7 pods on me but my gear is best suited for how I play which is ready for anything.
Sic Vis Pacem Para Bellum. If you want peace prepare for war.
If We Cant Do It, It Doesnt Need To Be Done!

#26 User is offline   Bishop- 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Bishop-

Posted 07 May 2009 - 06:06 AM

View PostBAGELS, on Jan 18 2009, 07:04 PM, said:

I used to be into that positions thing, but as I played more and more, I just forgot about them. Don't limit yourself to one position. Just play the way you like to play, whether you like to make stealthy flanks, or make bold aggressive moves.

Here is my style of play. I am always on the flanks, ahead of the rest of my team. I am very patient. I will move up, scope out the enemy, then fall back and ambush them. Then I do it again, or flank them if I have the option. That is not a Spec Ops position, its my style of play.

Just play the game that you have the most fun playing. Develop your own style of play. Don't pick a position and force yourself to stay within it.

You basically just said your a sabre...

#27 User is offline   MaDuce 

• Grab your gun and bring the cat in.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MaDuce

Posted 21 May 2009 - 11:36 PM

View PostDrothghight, on Mar 18 2009, 11:31 AM, said:

Funny you mention that. :P Being a SpecOps site forum, I wasn't sure if that kind of talk was allowed! lol My friend has told me that it's nothing but marketing for their gear, too, so now that I hear the exact same opinion from you, I'm thinking that's dead on. :) It's a shame, really, because the entire idea of positions is actually quite cool because you have a set of field goals that you can work toward, or at least that's how I look at it. But when it plays out during a game, it's really very dynamic and not truly accurate at all. Paintballers just want to shoot people, by and large, and accomplish their objectives (if a scenario is in play) - they'll do whatever it takes to do those two things, regardless of position. :)

That being said, you shouldn't underestimate the value in variety of the gearkits of your teammates. It's hard to suppress with a pump and it's difficult to provide accurate fire with a DT. So with the framework of varying specialties, your teammates should all be able to adapt.
"Its very hard to grasp the idea at first but once you accept it, it makes A LOT of sense!" -- Minnesota Sn1p3r on conspiracy theories
"Everyone instantly jumps the conclusion that the government is out to get us." -- SWAT SAINT
"Bad Duce, bad." -- Ace-014
"Good man, Duce, good man." -- Tryon
"Also accepting female snipers." -- Lt.Col.Vortex

#28 User is offline   ve1988 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:schmidt

Posted 25 May 2009 - 08:32 AM

the key to playing as a saber is to remain flexible. You may start the game on the defensive front, defending a position, but end the game laying covering fire for the last push. A saber has to be able to do everything from running point, to laying back and providing accurate fire from a distance. wherever the game winds up putting you just stick to what the mission requires you to do. "If we can't do it, it doesn't need to be done". :P

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users