Special Ops Paintball: Special OPs Mesh Vest--Digi Chamo - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Special OPs Mesh Vest--Digi Chamo Good product, could use a few changes Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Mud Dog 

• I play paintball like the ferret--I stink but I have a good time
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Mud Dog

Posted 03 April 2005 - 08:43 PM

I purchased one [Special OPs Recon Vest Digi Camo --see below postings] and used it just this past weekend in Panzer Attack. After two full days of heavy-duty woodsball, I have some observations, thoughts and a postscript.

The vest breathes very, very well. The temperature increased dramatically during the first day. I didn't get hot in it, despite hauling four loaded 140 pods and a 92/4500 tank all day. The pods did not come undone, or even loose, despite my crawling/running/dodging all day in underbrush.

The two velcro pockets, upper right and lower left front, held firmly as well. Special OPs has not skimped on the velcro here, either. I kept my car keys securely in the upper right pocket through two full days of woodsball. That sort of trust in my gear is important to me.

The lower left velcro pouch holds several (3 to 4) energy bars without any problem. They also held a folding squeegee, although the fit was a little tight with the food. Once I took two bars out, the fit was just fine. Like my car keys, above in the upper right pocket, everything remained secure throughout the weekend's activities.

There are two snap enclosures on the lower right portion of the vest. These enclosures will hold a grenade or similar small thing, each. They can hold a small, roll-up squeegee, but that fills up the enclosure. I could not fit my FoxFire radio into either of these pouches.

There is another pouch on the upper left portion of the vest. It closes by velcro. I think it's primarily for radios. My FoxFire just fit into it, although it was a snug fit. I would like to see the pocket a little deeper, to better hold a radio.

There is also a pocket in the back for a water pocket of some kind, up to 100 ounces. I used a 50 ounce Camelback in mine. There was plenty of room in the enclosure for it and the Camelback stayed in position throughout two days of heavy use. I would like to see some D-rings for securing the mouthpiece but I was able to tuck it into the upper left velcro pouch.

There are four pod pouches in the back, two on the left and two on the right. They easily hold 140 count pods. The pods are held in the upside position. The pouches are not moveable, so if you like your pods rightside up, you will either have to adjust, purchase a different vest or seriously alter this one. The pod straps are heavy with velcro; I didn't lose one pod the whole time I was playing.

I used the optional bottle holder with my vest. It held the biggest tank I had available, a 92/4500, with room to spare. There are the traditional two velcro cross pieces to hold the tank in the pouch. There is also an adjustible belt, across the body of the pouch, that helps hold the tank in place.

Special OPs has also laid the velcro on heavy in attaching the tank pouch. The vest is a little different: the portion between the pods forms a tunnel, lined with velcro. The tank pouch has a fabric "tongue" that lifts up and is inserted into the tunnel. You then close down the tunnel and reattach the tongue to the pouch. It's a little tough to open but once you set it up, that bottle pouch is not going anywhere. ;)

A sidenote about the bottle pouch: it is a separate item for this vest. I did not realize that when I ordered the vest. The pouch is another thirty something dollars on top of the vest. Personally, I think for a vest of this price, the tank pouch should come with the vest. B) Just be sure to order the bottle pouch along with your vest. ;)

Mud Dog

Postscript: I did order the bottle pouch once I realized it was a separate item. There were some delays (i.e., everyone else wanted one as well so it was back-ordered) in getting one. I called Special OPs and spoke with several people. I explained I wanted to test the pouch at the upcoming weekend scenario game. Everyone was fantastic. Special OPs rushed one to me in record time, even double-checking with me to see if I received it. Kudos to everyone there for their top-notch customer service! :D

This post has been edited by Mud Dog: 05 April 2005 - 07:51 PM

Maintainence" should be routine. (cleaning and lubrication) In all fairness, most "maintainence" " problems" can be avoided by getting it set-up right and leaving it alone. (true for most any paintgun) Something that I have learned over the years it that, "The more that you mess with it, the more you will have to mess with it."
Glenn Palmer

str8balla 101

Member # 18

#2 User is offline   Invictus 

• Operator Strike Force
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Invictus-

Posted 04 April 2005 - 04:41 PM

Which Vest did you get? Was it the Recon Vest Digi Camo or the Broadsword "Heavy Ordnance" Vest - Digi Camo? I'm sure Robert (Cops911) who made the vest and Spec Ops will be pleased with your review.

Proud member of Team IYAOYAS and sponsored by
Planet Eclipse , LCP Army, SobePaintball , Shooting Hot Magazine, Addiction Army, The Ford Report , and Conlee Custom Camo.

When being an Owner just isn't enough, A5OG l X7OG l 98OG l PEOG l IOG

#3 User is offline   Rovert 

• The one, the only RoverT
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:RoverT

Posted 04 April 2005 - 04:45 PM

I would get it for 84.95, because I was pitting it against the flurry Emmisary, and I would get the spec ops digi vest, but i run a remote, and the spec ops vest didnt come with a tank holder, and to buy one to go on the vest would have cost 37.95 <_<

5 man recon team>30 man walking catastrophe

#4 User is offline   Mud Dog 

• I play paintball like the ferret--I stink but I have a good time
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mud Dog

Posted 04 April 2005 - 06:32 PM

Invictus, on Apr 4 2005, 04:41 PM, said:

Which Vest did you get? Was it the Recon Vest Digi Camo or the Broadsword "Heavy Ordnance" Vest - Digi Camo? I'm sure Robert (Cops911) who made the vest and Spec Ops will be pleased with your review.

I purchased the Recon vest. I should have made that clear in my review. D'OH!

I've changed it now.

Thank you for your kind words.

Mud Dog

This post has been edited by Mud Dog: 05 April 2005 - 07:47 PM

Maintainence" should be routine. (cleaning and lubrication) In all fairness, most "maintainence" " problems" can be avoided by getting it set-up right and leaving it alone. (true for most any paintgun) Something that I have learned over the years it that, "The more that you mess with it, the more you will have to mess with it."
Glenn Palmer

str8balla 101

Member # 18

#5 User is offline   oldguny 

• The Chicago type writer.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Oldguny

Posted 13 September 2006 - 06:01 PM

Can we have some pics ;)

When i see you your in my cross hairs,but when you see me your looking over your sholder still wondering why that tree is waving at you. "Explosives slove everthing"-Sandy WBC I'm going for a Sunday drive Navy Seal Style

#6 User is offline   The Shepherd 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Shepherd

Posted 19 April 2007 - 09:25 AM

I got a recon vest on sale for $50.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users