• You cannot reply to this topic

Magazine Feed Conversion Kits FINALLLLYYYYYY!!! Rate Topic: ***-- 2 Votes

#481 User is offline   gubment_man 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:GUBMENT SNIPER

Posted 23 August 2011 - 05:53 PM

Good review of the the kits. I didnt realize how poorly placed the magwell and mag release was. The might be able to fix that by making a abidextrous release button and/or a new release modeled like that of the foward assist on AR based rifles or the horizontal version of the mag release seen on those rifles. I hope that Rap4 redeems themselves by making relatively inexpensive mag pouches that doesnt activate the detent and hopefully release the D-mags with a improved design that that of the existing mags.
"why does that bush have eyes?"

#482 User is offline   sousey 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:HELL-FIRE

Posted 23 August 2011 - 06:02 PM

View Postgubment_man, on 23 August 2011 - 08:53 PM, said:

Good review of the the kits. I didnt realize how poorly placed the magwell and mag release was. The might be able to fix that by making a abidextrous release button and/or a new release modeled like that of the foward assist on AR based rifles or the horizontal version of the mag release seen on those rifles. I hope that Rap4 redeems themselves by making relatively inexpensive mag pouches that doesnt activate the detent and hopefully release the D-mags with a improved design that that of the existing mags.

You know that RAP4 already makes a ambidextrous release button, that is pictured in many of their promotional pictures.

#483 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SHIPWRECK!

Posted 23 August 2011 - 06:32 PM

I didn't know they already made the ambi system!

I was looking at Milsig mag markers based on the A5 design and I saw that they already have it. But the last video I saw from RAP4 said they were still working on it, planning to release it later.

Theres no way you can make a mag pouch that won't activate the detent on those mags. I mean even if you tailor make the bottom of the mag pouch to protect the detent, even a very slight amount of friction between that detent and the inside wall of the mag pouch is all it takes to activate the detent. And there's nothing you can do to make friction not exist... except maybe OIL the inside of your mag pouches haha! Not recommended!

The only thing that can make those mags more stable is redesigning the detent. It would be pretty simple to make a twisting detent and that should solve the problem. It would require pressure against an angled detent actuater in the mag well to actually put a TORQUE on the detent, which means nothing you could do to the mags in your mag pouch could actuate it. IE pressure alone won't do it, it has to be pressure at the right ANGLE to twist the detent, and you're not going to find that perfect angle in a mag pouch.

BUT I seriously doubt that RAP4 is going to redesign their long standing detent system now. They'll just say, "Store the mags upright." Which will work fine but it's just better for the reload to have them upside down, so I won't like that solution at all.
"If they wanna be asinine about this, we'll just be asinine right back."
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#484 User is offline   gubment_man 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:GUBMENT SNIPER

Posted 23 August 2011 - 09:31 PM

That could work. They may not do it to the t68 mags but maybe the D mags if we are lucky.
"why does that bush have eyes?"

#485 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 August 2011 - 09:49 PM

I think if they were to do it to any of the mags it would be the T68 type. I mean, it would mean a slightly more complicated slightly more expensive detent, so why would they put that on the cheap mags. Plus the mag well it's self on the gun would have to be redesigned to actuate the new detent, the current one is just made to operate the pressure detent. Both the mag well and mag have to work together, so it's a complete redesign of the system just for two little changes one on the mag one on the mag well. Even if they did it they wouldn't distrubute free upgrades to replace the mag wells on all the previously purchased T68's and mag kits.

I'm pretty sure even if they do heed the suggestion we'll be waiting for a whole new generation of the kits to come out before it could be implemented. And then loyal customers like myself who purchased the original before it even existed let alone had a chance to be proven, would have our loyalty rewarded by having to buy a whole brand new kit just to have mags that work well which should've existed back when they were first coming out the with the mag well system on their T68's but never did.
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#486 User is offline   paintman161 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:paintman161

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:13 AM

I store my mags upside down and with the self made t-bar the balls dont get released into the pouch! Same concept that milsig uses for there pouches!

#487 User is offline   sousey 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:HELL-FIRE

Posted 24 August 2011 - 05:57 AM

your choice of paint will make a difference too, smaller paint may not be stopped but detents when up-side-down.

#488 User is offline   paintman161 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:21 AM

View Postsousey, on 24 August 2011 - 08:57 AM, said:

your choice of paint will make a difference too, smaller paint may not be stopped but detents when up-side-down.

Smallest paint i used was .676 and it just stopped the paint from falling out, anything smaller and i think the paint would just fall out wether it is upright or upside down. Espically if you are crawling on the ground or jumping up and down!

#489 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 August 2011 - 06:12 PM

View Postpaintman161, on 24 August 2011 - 04:13 AM, said:

I store my mags upside down and with the self made t-bar the balls dont get released into the pouch! Same concept that milsig uses for there pouches!

I say no dice. You'll see in my video I used a similar idea in my mag pouch and still had constant problems with the detent. Hell, t-bar or not all it needs is to brush up against the side of the mag pouch as you're inserting it and THAT sets it off! Or bump into the mag well as you're inserting iit or just about anything! Oh but then again I did epic fail it by releasing the spring before inserting mags (because that's what the RAP4 video actually says to do... fail), so I guess it shoudldn't be as much of a problem so long as you do it right and leave the spring compressed. But it's still not good enough, even with the spring compressed if that detent hits the side of the mag well, or just about anything while it's upside down, even without the spring pushing them, gravity will pull out a handfull of paintballs. It really needs a better more reliable detent. T-bars are just a work around and a temporary fix to a permanent problem. Kinda like the opposite of suicide...

View Postpaintman161, on 24 August 2011 - 06:21 AM, said:

View Postsousey, on 24 August 2011 - 08:57 AM, said:

Smallest paint i used was .676 and it just stopped the paint from falling out, anything smaller and i think the paint would just fall out wether it is upright or upside down. Espically if you are crawling on the ground or jumping up and down!

I don't know exactly what size the paint I got was, but that wasn't as much a problem, as long as the detent was good the paintballs stayed in.

but this is all tangent because what I'm really here to do is...

UPDATE!
A RAP4 rep contacted me on YouTube about the video, and after discussing the kit issues (especially with the 98) via e-mail, he says he is getting me the updated 98 sear parts that the kit needs to work! AND he says that RAP4 will provide those parts free of charge for everyone with an older model 98! Which is sick!

I think he might be getting me mag release extensions too, but I'm not sure.
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#490 User is offline   paintman161 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 28 August 2011 - 06:26 PM

I do store my mags upside down and never had an issue having the balls just fall out. Of course i preload all of my mags before i go out and play. If i reload on the field, i usually will have one less in the mag pouch so there is alot of room to get that second one in. By the way i carry 6 mags, thre per side in the pouch.

#491 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 August 2011 - 01:09 PM

View Postpaintman161, on 28 August 2011 - 06:26 PM, said:

I do store my mags upside down and never had an issue having the balls just fall out. Of course i preload all of my mags before i go out and play. If i reload on the field, i usually will have one less in the mag pouch so there is alot of room to get that second one in. By the way i carry 6 mags, thre per side in the pouch.

Neither have I, they only fall out when the detent is actuated. Yeah, having one less makes it a lot easier to get the mag in there without bumping into anything on the way... but the detent shouldn't be so easy to actuate that we even need to worry about it in the first place.

This post has been edited by Shipwreck!: 29 August 2011 - 01:10 PM

A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#492 User is offline   paintman161 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 29 August 2011 - 02:41 PM

View PostShipwreck!, on 29 August 2011 - 04:09 PM, said:

View Postpaintman161, on 28 August 2011 - 06:26 PM, said:

Neither have I, they only fall out when the detent is actuated. Yeah, having one less makes it a lot easier to get the mag in there without bumping into anything on the way... but the detent shouldn't be so easy to actuate that we even need to worry about it in the first place.

invent a new detent :) Hopefully someday mag fed paintball will be huge and there will be enough of a demand for other companies to come out with there own mags. Cough tippmann cough!

#493 User is offline   Chill_balla 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 29 August 2011 - 02:52 PM

If I had a tippmann, I'd go mag-fed. It's just too awesome not to.
Posted Image

Proud owner of a VSC phantom and an Invert Mini

#494 User is offline   Private Silver 

• Das poomp
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Private Silver

Posted 29 August 2011 - 03:07 PM

As for a new detent system, why not have it be similar to a speed-feed system on a hopper? Only a minor change would be required to the mag-well (as opposed to just being a hole, there would need to be a short tube) to make it push the miniature flaps out of the way, thus letting it feed properly, and replacing the detent ring with a solid flap system (think the rotor speed feeds, but smaller)

The only problem with this would be the tension couldn't be TOO great on the balls, as you would be pushing them down into the mag as you inserted it until it was in far enough to feed past the flaps. Eh, I might try drawing this up for better clarification later lol.
Posted Image
SO Feedback +2/ E-bay feedback +14

#495 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 August 2011 - 03:11 PM

Yeah... I think we could use an illustration HAHAHAHA!

Sounds like you might be onto something though!

I'm going to try to mount a second ball detent in the mag well so I can tac-load without the ball in the chamber falling out. That'll be one problem down...
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• (41 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users