Question about the macro line From the asa to the reg Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Private Silver 

• Das poomp
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Private Silver

Posted 27 July 2010 - 03:28 PM

Posted Image

Alright, Now its mostly box 2 to look at, as box 1 doesnt do it much, until its really low on pressure and they swap.

Anyway, when unpressurized, the macro line ends are snug into the ports coming out of the asa and in the 90 degree. Now, when i screw in my 68/45, i can watch the box 2 end shoot out maybe 1-2cm, and you can hear a slight bit of air hissing. Is this due to lose fittings, or is this supposed to happen?

Every now and then while playing, it will seem to stop or get to the point were i can't hear it anymore, but not until I'm either halfway through the tank, or just after i've shot it quite a few times/sit there and play with the hose. Also, if i then just unscrew the tank and screw it back in, it will start again for a bit.

It doesn't seem to really affect total air consumption by much, as i've been able to go through about 1300-1500 Paintballs before needing to get a fill/swap the tank, so I was just wondering whether its supposed to happen or not
Posted Image
SO Feedback +2/ E-bay feedback +14

#2 User is offline   5N1P3R 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 July 2010 - 04:38 PM

Well, in my experience, the lines should be able to be pushed in and then come out when unpressurized, but when pressurized, mine have kind of popped in a little, but never popped out like you are saying.

You shouldn't have a leak. It may be a bad 90 degree fitting, but you say it happens in your fitting and your Asa? That's...odd. Also, try oiling it up a little as well.

#3 User is offline   stinkfingr 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:06 PM

you could have a bad fitting, or it could be as simple as a badly cut, or pinched macro line. the fitting is called a push/pull fitting ( among other things ). pull out the tubing, and inspect the end. is it oblong or nice and cylindrical ? is it a smooth, even cut, or is it jagged anywhere ? take a pair of diagonal cutters, and snip off the very tip of the macro line, making sure that the cut is straight, even, and symmetric. push the tubing back in, making sure to make the tubing round again with your fingers as the diagonal cutters will mekr the macro line somewhat oblonged.

#4 User is offline   stinkfingr 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:07 PM

View Postklaatu, on 27 July 2010 - 08:06 PM, said:

you could have a bad fitting, or it could be as simple as a badly cut, or pinched macro line. the fitting is called a push/pull fitting ( among other things ). pull out the tubing, and inspect the end. is it oblong or nice and cylindrical ? is it a smooth, even cut, or is it jagged anywhere ? take a pair of diagonal cutters, and snip off the very tip of the macro line, making sure that the cut is straight, even, and symmetric. push the tubing back in, making sure to make the tubing round again with your fingers as the diagonal cutters will mekr the macro line somewhat oblonged.

make sure the macro line is not stretched too tightly etween box 1 and box 2. there should be some slack.

#5 User is offline   Malu 

• VSC Phantom Owner
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:AutomagSniper

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:16 PM

View Post5N1P3R, on 27 July 2010 - 06:38 PM, said:

Well, in my experience, the lines should be able to be pushed in and then come out when unpressurized, but when pressurized, mine have kind of popped in a little, but never popped out like you are saying.

You shouldn't have a leak. It may be a bad 90 degree fitting, but you say it happens in your fitting and your Asa? That's...odd. Also, try oiling it up a little as well.

Bah, he shoots a Mini don't listen to him. :P ;)

This happens all the time to me. It's one of two things:

-A crappy cut on the macroline, it hasn't been cut perfectly flush or it has a small nick or something allowing air to go around it and out of the fitting. Now I've seen some crappily cut macroline that works perfect and I've seen some great looking macroline leak and be replaced and the new line works. It's really hit or miss but for $10 you can get around 5 feet of macroline and it's a good thing to keep in your toolbox.

-A crappy fitting. It's really common on lower budget markers (no offense) for the fittings to have small leaks. Fitting are super cheap, so it's not a big deal. Normally what I find as a temporary fix is to just wiggle the macroline around a little bit while listening. You can normally find a "sweet spot" where the line will stop leaking.

The first thing you should do is make sure your macroline is installed properly. You should be able to push the macroline all the way in with a little bit of force, then try to pull the line out. The collar on the fitting (what your boxes are showing) should pop out a little bit, but the macroline should stay put. Both fittings should do this. To take macroline out just push the collar down and hold it down while pulling the line out.

The easiest thing to do for you is to follow my temporary fix and make an order on macrolineguy.com. Get some new fittings and macroline. You can even match them to you marker!

Prices are:

$1 - Macroline any color
$4 - 90 degree swivel fitting
$8 - Colored 90 degree swivel fitting
$3 - Shipping

So $17 for a couple colored fittings and macroline or $12 for a couple standard silver fittings and macroline.

#6 User is offline   Private Silver 

• Das poomp
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:27 PM

Ah, i seem to have been mistaken slightly, the honest to god black hose line etc. is fine.

I mean where the two silver parts are that connected (Somewhat of a newb still with electro's, used to steel-braid)

I think it was mentioned above by name, but i can't find it, but the part of the fitting that goes onto the hose, and then the little....piston thingy that then goes into the fittings on the ASA and the reg. So its Fitting->plunger/pistonthingy-hose. The piston thingy, that seems like its supposed to move because i can move it when its unpressurized, is what moves out a bit under pressure.

And i still might do the above, just to match it as red. Does it require any heavy duty tools other than say..a wrench? Never had to re-line my gun yet, since its still not even fully broken in. :P

Edit: For clarification if you can't understand that, if you look at box 2, so see some line, then the silver starts, then theres a groove, then the silver continues. Its the first silver thing that goes into the hole of the second silver thing. :P Sorry bout the terminology, but eh.

This post has been edited by Private Silver: 27 July 2010 - 09:30 PM

Posted Image

#7 User is offline   stinkfingr 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:05 PM

it could still be the hose not seating well into the push/pull fitting. try the new macroline first ... it is cheap, and very quick

#8 User is offline   Malu 

• VSC Phantom Owner
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:AutomagSniper

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:16 PM

View PostPrivate Silver, on 27 July 2010 - 11:27 PM, said:

Ah, i seem to have been mistaken slightly, the honest to god black hose line etc. is fine.

You see, it may not be fine. It may be cut badly which is making it look like the "piston thingy" (collar for future reference) is leaking.

I mean where the two silver parts are that connected (Somewhat of a newb still with electro's, used to steel-braid)

I think it was mentioned above by name, but i can't find it, but the part of the fitting that goes onto the hose, and then the little....piston thingy that then goes into the fittings on the ASA and the reg. So its Fitting->plunger/pistonthingy-hose. The piston thingy, that seems like its supposed to move because i can move it when its unpressurized, is what moves out a bit under pressure.

This is completely normal, actually if it didn't happen that would be odd. Without pressure you should be able to wiggle the collar back and for and the gap should close and open. Under pressure they should push out.

And i still might do the above, just to match it as red. Does it require any heavy duty tools other than say..a wrench? Never had to re-line my gun yet, since its still not even fully broken in. :P

You need a wrench, just for a little tightening. Also a little teflon tape or blue loctite. The hardest part would be making sure you don't overtighten it. I'll get into the installation a little more below.

Edit: For clarification if you can't understand that, if you look at box 2, so see some line, then the silver starts, then theres a groove, then the silver continues. Its the first silver thing that goes into the hole of the second silver thing. :P Sorry bout the terminology, but eh.

I understand. ;)

Ok, so you should still follow my (and everyone elses) advice above. Check to see if the macroline is cut properly (the black tube) because it could be causing the leak. If it's a clean straight cut then your looking at a bad fitting.

Macroline Removal and installation instructions:

Macroline can be a tricky thing at times, and I have noticed throughout this site that not everyone knows how to use/properly install macroline and other people don't know whether to get macroline or steel braided hose. So listen up closely and I'll answer all your questions about macroline in this thread.

Macroline looks and feels like plastic. It has the same standard ID size as steel braided hose, meaning that neither one will offer higher flowing performance
. Macroline is very easy to install correctly, but is also very easy to install incorrectly so you need to be careful when you're cutting your macroline hose to your desired length or you may just screw it up.

When you first get your macroline kit, which can be found here - the first thing you need to do is install the fittings.

Normally you three choices:

* One 90* fitting and one straight fitting
* Two straight fittings
* Two 90* fittings

The only difference between the two kinds of fittings is to make your macroline setup look as good as possible. To install the fittings, my tool of choice would be an adjustable cresent wrench. I use a fully adjustable so you know you can get a good fit on the macroline adapters and you won't scratch them up, as you run the risk of doing if you do the job with pliers or other such tools that require you to put a lot of pressure on the fitting.

Next step to installing a macroline setup is the part where most people fail if they are new to macroline. When you first take the macroline out of the package you will notice that is very smooth on the ends of the hose, both sides. If it has rough edges or is cut unevenly it can leak. So when you are trying to cut your macroline to the desired length I recomend you do two things:

1) Cut the hose about an inch longer than it needs to be(i'll explain why later).
2) Cut it with a very sharp object like a pair of kitchen scissors.

Something I've seen countless people do is try to cut their macroline hose with a steak knife or other similar utensil which is most likely the least effective way to get a good clean cut. What a steak knife will do is just leave a ragged cut since the knife itself has a ragged edge on it. The other part that is bad about cutting a macroline with such a tool is you have to do it with the macroline sitting on some sort of "flat" surface and you cannot always ensure a cut that's right down the center. It can either vary by moving a bit to the left or a bit to the right. Either way is unacceptable, as it will be off a bit and most likely leak.

Now, why make the hose an inch or so longer you ask? Very simple, macroline is not the strongest thing, it can wear away in the fittings and become uneven on one side which will require you to trim your macroline every now and then, and the last thing we want is to have the macroline perfect length, only to need to cut some off making it too short and also making it useless. I have found over my past experiences with macroline, that it tends to wear away more with the usage of pure co2 over anti-siphoned co2 or nitrogen. I think thats pretty obvious why, if liquid co2 touches part of the fitting it can cause it to crack, cracks can mean small, unoticable leaks but leaks nonetheless that will drain your tanks faster than you think. With anti-siphoned co2 and nitrogen you will notice the same wear and tear that you should expect to get, eventually it will wear away at the hose, but thats why you leave the hose an inch longer so you can trim it and still use it for a good long time. And even when it is time to replace the macroline hose, it only costs a dollar per foot, so its not like its going to cost you an arm and a leg.

Another thing that people who are new to macroline can get confused over is how to uninstall the hose itself from the fittings. This is a very simple process. All you need to do is pull out on the ring on the top of the macroline fitting when you pull out the hose. So in other words, you pull out the hose, and you will notice a ring that looks like its trying to come out but is stuck, while you keep pulling on the hose, all you do is push down on the ring, and it will release the hose from the fitting. Look at the side of the fitting that is pointing upward, you can see the ring that needs to be pushed down Here is a pic of the straight elbow, casually look at the top portion of the elbow and you will notice the same design, all you do is push down on the ring and pull the hose out at the same time with this fitting as well and the hose will come free.

So there you have it, all the wonders of macroline are revealed, hope this helped!

That's taken from a different site. In summary:

-Push the collar in (so that gap is gone) and hold it in while pulling out the macroline, remove both sides.
-Remove macroline fittings with the proper size hex wrench (lefty loosey righty tighty).
-Reinstall new fittings, wrap a small piece of teflon tape around the threaded end or use blue loctite, screw it in hand tight then give it another 1/2-3/4 turn with the proper wrench.
-Cut macroline, make sure it's a nice clean cut.
-Push macroline firmly into the hole on the fittings.

With your Proto you will notice that once you remove the macroline, you will be able to spin the fitting and part of the regulator that it's attached to. This is normal, but when you reinstall macroline fitting make sure that it still spins around. If it doesn't spin you screwed the fitting in too much.

Feel free to ask any more questions. :P

This post has been edited by Malu: 27 July 2010 - 10:18 PM

#9 User is offline   blackcelldrumr15 

• Group: Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:34 AM

Malu pretty much just summed it all up, but I agree with the others. Try a new macroline, and if that doesn't work a new air fitting. :Help:
Posted Image
Facebook - Group: Banned #18
PMR - P90 Ion FOR SALE - System X Sniper

#10 User is offline   Private Silver 

• Das poomp
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:00 PM

Welp, ordered the stuff, both fittings just in case, a straight and a 90, gonna swap both. Some tape, 2 things of line (the guy needs pictures and better descriptions though). Should be here roughly next week, maybe after. Will swap, and re-post with the final result.
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Krazy8

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:18 AM

This might help you out a bit.

.pdf file of Proto SLG owners manual.

Most other possibilities have been addressed. Enjoy!

#12 User is offline   scphantom9195 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:scphantom9195

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:00 AM

The little collar that holds onto the macroline can be pulled out with a pair of needle nose pliers. Inside the body of the fitting is a small o-ring. If the -rings gets nicked or cut it will leak. If everything else is in good shape, changing the o-ring should fix the leak.

Also the macroline can get grooves in it that will also cause it to leak.
"Only the strong survive. The weak are killed and eaten as fingerfood." SDI SSgt Patterson, USMC, Platoon 1077[/b]
My feedback http://forum.special...=1

www.okcompanypaintball.com

#13 User is offline   Private Silver 

• Das poomp
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:34 PM

Thank you Krazy, i do still manage to have my manual and what not, read that first actually (surprising is it not?) And i actually don't have the one they show in that manual, i have the 09 Basic that has the..reaaaaaally hard plastic? Composite?...Frame, not the UL, but i really doubt it matters at all. And it figures when i go to try and fix something paypal has to biff me and lock my account because they need to "Verify" me, even tho i just bought something like...last week. :D

Anyway, the current status is now at: I WILL order the new line and fittings, will replace, and will then update from there.

As to scphantom, how exactly would i go about removing the collar with pliers, seems to be set in there pretty well? I may only try that as a last resort, but it's handy to know all my options.
Posted Image

#14 User is offline   Private Silver 

• Das poomp
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 August 2010 - 08:40 PM

RIGHT WELL, now that i finally got around to it, and it FINALLY came in after having to get UPS to deliver at a time where i was home to sign for it, we are running perfectly now.

Sadly, i could not use macrolineguy as he runs through paypal and the credit card/account have been completely locked until...august 27 of next year. SO i had to go and spend an extra $5 and order my stuff through Ninja Paintball.

Straight and 90* flat black fittings, 3 feet of line (used about 7 inches, bad cut on my part first, rest is spare).

Works like a charm, no leak anymore, actually noticed an increase in efficiency as i used to be able to shoot about 40 balls and see a change in the needle on my tank, tested the same theory and saw no movement at all on the pressure gauge.

AND, i used neither loc-tite nor ptfe tape. As a quick word of advice from the newer generation, if you are in a bind and need to secure threading easily and damn well, use nail-polish. Yes, it sounds rather odd, but it works wonders, and comes in a variety of colors to choose from! (No I am not gay, my sister just leaves it lay around everywhere, so I happen to have hot pink nail polish as a thread sealant, not gonna lie it looks pretty neat)
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users