TPX? Anyone here use one? Rate Topic: -----

#31 User is offline   Jackson 

• Resident Tiberius Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:PvtDBJackson

Posted 01 November 2009 - 08:16 PM

AJsarge, on Oct 31 2009, 01:39 PM, said:

I'm just waiting for them to make an extended magazine for it so I've got a few more shots than the current 8.

Lucky for you, rumor has it the new mag design they are working on to fix all the paint feeding issues with the current ones is going to hold SEVEN balls. You paid for an 8 shot pistol, and to get it to work correctly with all paint, they are cutting it down to 7.

#32 User is offline   Scath an Bhais 

• MSGT. REV. MONGOOSE
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:REV. MONGOOSE

Posted 04 November 2009 - 10:05 PM

I thought the problem witht the T8 was that the c02 being in the mag had problems with leaking.
And the mags were extremly expensive.

But i do have a question about the TPX, does anyone know if a Hammerhead sharktooth barrel with x7 threads will fit it? Thanks
O'Tuathaigh
Fian. Glaine ar gcroi, Neart ar ngeag, Beart de reir ar mbriathar
Outlaw. CQB.
Played my first game at BHD '09 @ tactical paintball.

#33 User is offline   PWalk 

• Lacrosse Grenadier
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Keg

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:31 AM

Scath an Bhais, on Nov 4 2009, 10:05 PM, said:

But i do have a question about the TPX, does anyone know if a Hammerhead sharktooth barrel with x7 threads will fit it? Thanks

It should, the TPX is threaded to take any of those barrels provided it'll fit. I've had my 10" Bigshot in my TPX.

My only gripe so far with the pistol is the mauling of soft shelled paint and that distinctive "duck" sound it makes when fired. With lubing it's greatly reduced but it's still there somewhat. I like it alot more than my old Tac 8 as that thing leaked air near non-stop even with repairs.
KEG

T.S.S.O.C. is proud to represent:
Tippmann | Lapco | PaintballX3 Magazine | Poco Loco Paintball | RAP4

#34 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 November 2009 - 01:11 PM

PWalk, on Nov 5 2009, 09:31 AM, said:

I like it alot more than my old Tac 8 as that thing leaked air near non-stop even with repairs.

I have to wonder what was done to it.

My T8 doesn't/has never leaked.
Member of Team Akkadian

#35 User is offline   PWalk 

• Lacrosse Grenadier
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Keg

Posted 05 November 2009 - 01:20 PM

Thalion, on Nov 5 2009, 01:11 PM, said:

I used to have a chronic leak down the barrel. Replaced the o-ring on the bolt and would get about 6-7 clips through her before it would start again. I had enough o-rings to keep replacing them but it just got to be a pain in the butt. I bought it used so the previous owner may have goofed it up bad. Tiberius did help but I was too frustrated with it and found myself using it less and less until I sold it to a guy who wanted to fix it. He got a sweet deal on it too.
KEG

T.S.S.O.C. is proud to represent:
Tippmann | Lapco | PaintballX3 Magazine | Poco Loco Paintball | RAP4

#36 User is offline   Jackson 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 November 2009 - 01:48 PM

PWalk, on Nov 5 2009, 04:20 PM, said:

Thalion, on Nov 5 2009, 01:11 PM, said:

I used to have a chronic leak down the barrel. Replaced the o-ring on the bolt and would get about 6-7 clips through her before it would start again. I had enough o-rings to keep replacing them but it just got to be a pain in the butt. I bought it used so the previous owner may have goofed it up bad. Tiberius did help but I was too frustrated with it and found myself using it less and less until I sold it to a guy who wanted to fix it. He got a sweet deal on it too.

Sounds like he messed with the firing pin in the bolt, scratched it, and it was chewing up o-rings as a result.

Between me and the guys I play with, we have 9 Tiberius markers and 30 some mags. We all give them proper maintenance and not a single one has ever leaked.

#37 User is offline   Scath an Bhais 

• MSGT. REV. MONGOOSE
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:REV. MONGOOSE

Posted 05 November 2009 - 06:31 PM

I just like how it seems like the tippmann's mags are a bit more rough and tumble. I try to only use high quality paint. Marbs...i would ASSume wouldnt get chewed up as much in the TPX.
O'Tuathaigh
Fian. Glaine ar gcroi, Neart ar ngeag, Beart de reir ar mbriathar
Outlaw. CQB.
Played my first game at BHD '09 @ tactical paintball.

#38 User is offline   Marauder_Pilot 

• Thrilling Heroics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Marauder_Pilot

Posted 07 November 2009 - 10:03 AM

The TPX mags are NOT more durable, not by a longshot.

TPX mags are made of reasonably heavy plastic, while the Tiberius mags are all metal save for the spring cap and the mag cap.

#39 User is offline   Jackson 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 November 2009 - 03:33 PM

Scath an Bhais, on Nov 5 2009, 08:31 PM, said:

I just like how it seems like the tippmann's mags are a bit more rough and tumble.

Definitely not. Not even close. I can stand on a Tiberius mag. You'll break paint in a TPX mag if you put too much pressure on it, if not outright break the plastic.

#40 User is offline   ChurchTRPT 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:THE CHURCH

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:09 PM

Jackson, on Nov 5 2009, 02:48 PM, said:

Between me and the guys I play with, we have 9 Tiberius markers and 30 some mags. We all give them proper maintenance and not a single one has ever leaked.

Please expand more on "proper maintenance" to the mags. All this Tac 8 talk has me intrigued.
"You are my hammer and weapon of war." - Jeremiah 51:20
As I crawl through the valley of the shadow of death I shall fear no evil, for God is behind me with a DOUBLE TROUBLE!

ROUGHNECK PUMPER

#41 User is offline   Jackson 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:14 PM

ChurchTRPT, on Nov 11 2009, 04:09 PM, said:

Jackson, on Nov 5 2009, 02:48 PM, said:

Please expand more on "proper maintenance" to the mags. All this Tac 8 talk has me intrigued.

Oil the o-rings. You oil (or should oil) your marker after use to keep the o-rings and everything lubricated. Why not the o-rings in the mags? People forget about them, they get dry, and they leak. Keep them oiled, they stay happy, and keep you happy.

#42 User is offline   ChurchTRPT 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:18 PM

Of course! It's so simple it just might work. :happy:

Cool man, thanks. I need to find someone that owns a T8 and play with it once. Sucks about the TPX. I thought it had so much potential.

This post has been edited by ChurchTRPT: 11 November 2009 - 02:18 PM

As I crawl through the valley of the shadow of death I shall fear no evil, for God is behind me with a DOUBLE TROUBLE!

ROUGHNECK PUMPER

#43 User is offline   Jackson 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:32 PM

ChurchTRPT, on Nov 11 2009, 04:18 PM, said:

I thought it had so much potential.

Yeah, a lot of people did. Me included. But Tippmann really dropped the ball. The weakest link is the mags just don't feed a lot of paint correctly. When you play at a field with field paint only, and the field paint wont feed, then your TPX is junk. They chose to stagger the balls sort of like how some firearms do (except the TPX stagger is front to back, not side to side). This made the mag about an inch shorter (compared to the Tiberius), but increased the pressure on the balls by nearly 2 times compared to a straight line configuration. Paint that has a thin shell or is a little soft deforms and binds up. The mag doesn't feed the balls properly so you either end up with not balls loading and blank shots or more commonly paint only halfway loading into the breach and chopping.

Enter issue #2. The clamshell design (like all modern Tippmanns) is a pain to work on. Instead of being able to take apart sections of the marker, nope, you pop the clamshells open and everything wants to fly out. So when you chop paint, I would not recommend taking it apart at the field as you are too likely to lose key parts. You are left trying to swab as much paint out as you can then dealing with crap accuracy the rest of the day (but you probably won't use it, because it will just chop more paint).

It could have been a good pistol. Instead they chose looks (a shorter mag looks better) over performance (a straight line of balls feeds more reliably). And also Tippmann being Tippmann (and that's cheap) went with a plastic clamshell body instead of a quality milled body.

Look into the new Tiberius T8.1. It's an updated version of the Tac 8. It's cheaper than the TPX ($199 vs $219). And it works just like the other Tiberius markers. Overall a great buy.

#44 User is offline   ChurchTRPT 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 11 November 2009 - 03:34 PM

Already lookin, man! Thanks for the advice.

ROUGHNECK PUMPER

#45 User is offline   scphantom9195 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:scphantom9195

Posted 11 November 2009 - 09:05 PM

I agree. The Tac8 is an awesome pistol. I have seen/held 2 TPXs and they shot OK, but seemed really "cheap". I would pay the extra $20 and get a Tac 8 any day, even with the cost of the magazines being more.

Now the Tac 8.1 looks awesome. And at $199, can't be beat. If I did not already have a Tac8 I would get the Tac 8.1. Tiberius markers are very high in quality and thier customer service is top notch as well.
"Only the strong survive. The weak are killed and eaten as fingerfood." SDI SSgt Patterson, USMC, Platoon 1077[/b]
My feedback http://forum.special...=1

www.okcompanypaintball.com

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users