• (59 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

The Ultimate Guitar/bass Topic

#631 User is offline   Tora 

• Yes, that is Barney. My Barney. No you can't have him.
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:13 PM

View PostC0N0R, on Jun 10 2009, 06:24 PM, said:

View PostTora, on Jun 10 2009, 03:07 PM, said:

View PostC0N0R, on Jun 10 2009, 03:03 PM, said:

ahh. fender hot rods are indeed fairly nice, i almsot bought a brand new one, but the 1st channel died on me while i was playing it (it had only been on the shelf a week or so). of course that was a different hotrod, but still in the same series.

on the guitar, that's up to you, the prices of fenders have been jacked up way too much lately due to the economy. i thought for sure those were in the high 300's when i was looking for my first electric.

edit- i wrote up a very large article on how to spot fake guitars, this article is on ultimate guitar's message board, it's still a work in progress, but getting there. with the economy like it is, those dirt cheap gibsons/ibanez may jsut seem like someone desperate for cash, when it's really someone trying to rip you off.

CLICK ME CLICK ME CLICK ME

They used to be $400
But if you go to a store to buy a guitar you can work out a deal to get it cheaper with how desperate people are for sales these days. And remember, Slash's les paul is not a Gibson. It is actually a copy made by some guitar builder who's name escapes me right now.

this is going to make me sound like an poop shooter..

who cares what slash plays, honestly. The problem with fake guitars that are claiming to be name brand guitars is that selling or even owning one is a FELONY. If it's just another company that's using the shape, that's fine, but encouraging these con artists to make and sell these fake guitars to a person who has no clue they are getting a fake is absolutely
wrong.

I know, you have a great write up.
I was just letting out that little known fact.

Edit: I'm getting my new pickups today! I'll let you guys know what happens.

This post has been edited by Tora: 11 June 2009 - 09:30 AM

FEEDBACK

My momma raised me the be SHAMELESS!

#632 User is offline   Tora 

• PipPipPip

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:01 PM

I got the pickups today and installed them. Took me a couple hours because non of the diagrams I had for the humbucker were any good so I kinda came up with my own idea of what it should be and did it.
The guitar sounds great!
I'll get some pics up soon!

TB-5
Attached File  0611092305_00.jpg (325.37K)
Number of downloads: 0

Hot Rails
Attached File  0611092306_00.jpg (359.62K)

Group Shot
Attached File  0611092306_01.jpg (333.5K)

Random pic of my dog being gansta (fool)
Attached File  0609091933_00.jpg (339K)
Number of downloads: 1

This post has been edited by Tora: 11 June 2009 - 08:34 PM

FEEDBACK

#633 User is offline   barnz 

• I'm in your fridge, eating your food...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:barnz

Posted 14 June 2009 - 01:44 PM

Hey there everyone, I'm a novice guitar player looking for a new amp. I've been playing on and off for four or five years, but ever since the end of last summer i've been getting into guitar in a big way. Now that I am barely competent enough to play in front of my friends and have been jamming with a few people regularly and have been thinking of forming a band, I realized I needed to upgrade my equipment to something a little bit nicer.

Right now, I am using the following:

Takamine Acoustic -sounds like a dream, love this thing. But for some of the songs a play i need something less unwieldy than an acoustic

Squier Strat- yeah i know... actually this brings me to another question should I replace the amp or this piece of junk first??
Squier 10 Watt- This does not seem to have the sound or the power that I'm looking for anymore. I feel like I'm being drowned out by the other instruments I play with.

So what is a good, affordable combo amp that I can get to get a better sound and more power? I was thinking from 15W to 30W, no effects are really necessary but a few EQ and gain controls would be lovely.
Here are a few that I've been looking at:

http://guitars.music...fier?sku=481618
http://guitars.music...ombo?sku=480669
http://guitars.music...-Amp?sku=501641

So thats my price range, around $100-$150. Can I get any advice from the knowledgable folks around here?

#634 User is offline   Tora 

• PipPipPip

Posted 14 June 2009 - 04:38 PM

If you are playing with a drummer you need at least 30 watts.
I think fender makes a nice amp for about $140 that is 25 watts. (I will work if the drmmer uses brushes)
FEEDBACK

#635 User is offline   StealingYerMail 

• always throwin bass
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:StealingYerMail

Posted 14 June 2009 - 09:21 PM

In my experience with Squier, some suck, but most play like real Fenders. Personally, as far as guitars go I'm a fan of Fender Frontman amps. But yes, 30w is what you want. Go to a store and check some combos out, you'll find something.
Maggot #53
MacDev 06 Cyborg, AGD Tac-One
Death before Smart Parts Feedback

#636 User is offline   the eggman 

• ninjadodjy is always watching you...
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:bake-bake

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:15 AM

i learned how to play the mortal combat theme on guitar lol :D

#637 User is offline   the eggman 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:19 AM

View PostTora, on Jun 11 2009, 08:01 PM, said:

I got the pickups today and installed them. Took me a couple hours because non of the diagrams I had for the humbucker were any good so I kinda came up with my own idea of what it should be and did it.
The guitar sounds great!

TB-5
Attachment 0611092305_00.jpg

Hot Rails
Attachment 0611092306_00.jpg

Group Shot
Attachment 0611092306_01.jpg

Attachment 0609091933_00.jpg

hmm, seems ok but i still think buying new pickups is a waste of money unless your stock ones are blown or stopped working or if your amp is just a plug n play with nothing to really adjust but volume. even then you could take the money from the pickups and invest in an amp. my friend got a line 6 spyder 400 amp and its like the last amp you'll ever need.

#638 User is offline   Tora 

• PipPipPip

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:25 AM

View Postthe eggman, on Jun 16 2009, 12:19 PM, said:

The guitar sounds great!

TB-5

Hot Rails

Group Shot

hmm, seems ok but i still think buying new pickups is a waste of money unless your stock ones are blown or stopped working or if your amp is just a plug n play with nothing to really adjust but volume. even then you could take the money from the pickups and invest in an amp. my friend got a line 6 spyder 400 amp and its like the last amp you'll ever need.

Goes to show how much you know.
The pickups greatly effect to the tone of the guitar.
If you love how a guitar plays/feels, but the tone is not quite right for you, then you replace the pickups.
An amp also greatly effects the tone, but are usually a little more than $160 (how much my pickups cost) for one that will affect your tone in a good way.
FEEDBACK

#639 User is offline   StealingYerMail 

• always throwin bass
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:16 PM

I kind of agree and kind of don't. I've never actually replaced my pickups, but I'd imagine it's very satisfactory. Like that feeling you get after you thoroughly clean and restring your gear, except multiplied by like 10. Sort of like a second wind. I've never seen a reason to replace any of my pickups, but I guess some people do... and aftermarket pickups might really help or alter your tone. If I threw EMGs in my bass it would sound incredibly different, and it's a sound no amp, short of crazy head and cab set ups will help me get. Right now my bass sounds like... maybe, well, strings on wood with a bit of treble bite, I mean that's really what it sounds like. With EMGs it would sound all hi-fi and poo. My amp can't change my tone like that, and I have a small, but good amp. (Acoustic)

And the price of pickups is nowhere close to the cost of a good amp... I'm surprised your friend likes his Line 6. I play bass myself so I don't touch that stuff, but I know two guitarists with Line 6 amps and both get horrendous tones that make me want to put my foot through their amp. Granted, I've heard a couple decent tones out of the Line 6's with the pro settings or whatever, but it seems like everyone fights those amps to get a good tone.

This post has been edited by StealingYerMail: 16 June 2009 - 06:18 PM

Maggot #53

#640 User is offline   the eggman 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:26 PM

View PostTora, on Jun 16 2009, 09:25 AM, said:

The guitar sounds great!

TB-5

Hot Rails

Group Shot

If you love how a guitar plays/feels, but the tone is not quite right for you, then you replace the pickups.
An amp also greatly effects the tone, but are usually a little more than $160 (how much my pickups cost) for one that will affect your tone in a good way.

noooooooooo then you can get a pedalbox. i got a good effects pedalbox with about 100 different tones and sounds on it for abou $70. your pickups for $160 have one. even my friends dad who has about 40 different guitars and has been playing and tinkering with guitars says the same.

#641 User is offline   StealingYerMail 

• always throwin bass
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:03 PM

Does your friend's dad with 40 billion guitars also realize that maybe not everyone wants to run their signal through a pedal, or that maybe someone wants to try new pickups in their guitar? I don't understand where this guy's credibility really comes from (other than owning 40 guitars of course...) , yes pedals work sometimes, but not for everyone, just like new pickups.

Personally, I would never rely on a pedal to shape or control my general clean tone.

This post has been edited by StealingYerMail: 16 June 2009 - 09:05 PM

Maggot #53

#642 User is offline   Tora 

• PipPipPip

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:07 PM

View Postthe eggman, on Jun 16 2009, 11:26 PM, said:

View PostTora, on Jun 16 2009, 09:25 AM, said:

The guitar sounds great!

TB-5

Hot Rails

Group Shot

noooooooooo then you can get a pedalbox. i got a good effects pedalbox with about 100 different tones and sounds on it for abou $70. your pickups for $160 have one. even my friends dad who has about 40 different guitars and has been playing and tinkering with guitars says the same.

Let me guess, a digitech RP90.
No you do not just get a peddle board if you don't like your guitars tone.
All those things do is color your sound and make it sound cheap. (I.E. The $70 price)
I run a boss effects board that does not color my guitars natural tone with a bunch of noise gates an heavy crappy effects.
You should be able to plugg your guitar directly into your amp and get a good tone.
And about your friends dad, you can have a bunch of great gear and not know a single thing about what you are talking about.
FEEDBACK

#643 User is offline   the eggman 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 June 2009 - 10:31 AM

yea, but he does. don't try and play him like that he has been playing guitar since before you were born. he is the one who got me playing guitar and bass. he has spent more money on guitars and guitar parts than your parents have on cars. he told me "if i never picked up a guitar i would either be driving a ferrari or be in a bigger house" he has enough amps and wires to blow a hole in the wall. he is one of the most experienced guitar players i know. he could tell you what year a guitar was by looking at it. and he is my friend as well. so next time you wanna try and flame pick someone else...

#644 User is offline   Tora 

• PipPipPip

Posted 17 June 2009 - 10:58 AM

View Postthe eggman, on Jun 17 2009, 01:31 PM, said:

yea, but he does. don't try and play him like that he has been playing guitar since before you were born. he is the one who got me playing guitar and bass. he has spent more money on guitars and guitar parts than your parents have on cars. he told me "if i never picked up a guitar i would either be driving a ferrari or be in a bigger house" he has enough amps and wires to blow a hole in the wall. he is one of the most experienced guitar players i know. he could tell you what year a guitar was by looking at it. and he is my friend as well. so next time you wanna try and flame pick someone else...

You think I was flaming?!
You haven't seen flaming yet!
This is flaming: YOU ARE THE STUPIDEST BABY WHO THINKS HE KNOWS WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT AND IS REALLY JUST TAKING UP ROOM IN OUR THREAD!!!!!!! LEAVE YOU STUPID WHINY KID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You are the one trying to think you're all that and saying stupid things that are NOT true.
This thread is not for flaming, it is for the MATURE (a key word here) discussion of guitar/bass.
Little whiny kids like you can can go play in the newbies section.

That, young one, is flaming.

And also, he probably said that to you because you are a beginner and it would not be worth it to put new pickups in your guitar.
And if you can't get a decent sound out of your guitar without a pedal board, then your sound isn't good.

View PostStealingYerMail, on Jun 16 2009, 09:16 PM, said:

I kind of agree and kind of don't. I've never actually replaced my pickups, but I'd imagine it's very satisfactory. Like that feeling you get after you thoroughly clean and restring your gear, except multiplied by like 10. Sort of like a second wind. I've never seen a reason to replace any of my pickups, but I guess some people do... and aftermarket pickups might really help or alter your tone. If I threw EMGs in my bass it would sound incredibly different, and it's a sound no amp, short of crazy head and cab set ups will help me get. Right now my bass sounds like... maybe, well, strings on wood with a bit of treble bite, I mean that's really what it sounds like. With EMGs it would sound all hi-fi and poo. My amp can't change my tone like that, and I have a small, but good amp. (Acoustic)

And the price of pickups is nowhere close to the cost of a good amp... I'm surprised your friend likes his Line 6. I play bass myself so I don't touch that stuff, but I know two guitarists with Line 6 amps and both get horrendous tones that make me want to put my foot through their amp. Granted, I've heard a couple decent tones out of the Line 6's with the pro settings or whatever, but it seems like everyone fights those amps to get a good tone.

Try x20!
It is sooooo exhilarating to put something into a kitten (stock pickups), and turn it into a beast (custom seymour duncans)!

This post has been edited by Tora: 17 June 2009 - 11:28 AM

FEEDBACK

#645 User is offline   StealingYerMail 

• always throwin bass
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 June 2009 - 11:50 AM

View Postthe eggman, on Jun 17 2009, 01:31 PM, said:

What does this have to do with anything? Why can't Tora just change his pickups without you running it by your friend's dad or whatever? Obviously there are plenty of reasons to change pickups. Not everyone likes pedals. It's that simple.
Maggot #53

Share this topic:

• (59 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users