• You cannot reply to this topic

Markerbids.com biggest waste of time? Rate Topic: -----

#31 User is offline   kaosukoden 

• Aim first
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:kaosukoden

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:21 AM

I hate to say it, but it's the internet... I mean comeon. Parent's, watch your children, it's not Mike's or anyone else's responsability to monitor your children. Now, I've seen some sites like this where my friend got a $3000 mac book for $65 including his bid cost. But there was 4800 bids on it. So either someone was blasting it, or there was 6 or 8 ppl bidding on it. If you're smart about it, it's worth it. Is it a rip off? for someone probably, but not me, cause I'm not dumb enough to spend $200 on bids when I'm only saving $230 on an item....

Is it a bad idea, I wouldn't do it. But if you want to do it, I pray you get the perfect bid and spend $1 on a brand new $2000 marker. A great way to rip off "the man."

#32 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:22 AM

I guess it depends on your views on freedom of choice vs. protection...

Some people would shut down all tobacco companies because they sell something that is dangerous - but others say that people should be allowed to make those choices as long as it doesn't harm other people.

Where do you draw the line?

Helmets are for safety, but not everyone wears them. In my city, it's the law (which I don't agree with).
ATVs can be fun, but they can also be dangerous. Do we ban their sale?

#33 User is offline   kaosukoden 

• Aim first
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:kaosukoden

Posted 14 February 2011 - 12:04 PM

View Postcdrinkh20, on 14 February 2011 - 01:22 PM, said:

I guess it depends on your views on freedom of choice vs. protection...

Some people would shut down all tobacco companies because they sell something that is dangerous - but others say that people should be allowed to make those choices as long as it doesn't harm other people.

Where do you draw the line?

Helmets are for safety, but not everyone wears them. In my city, it's the law (which I don't agree with).
ATVs can be fun, but they can also be dangerous. Do we ban their sale?

Perfect... can't say it better. I personally feel that we are all given a choice, tons of them, every day, every min, throughout life. Should helmet's be required by law? maybe, maybe not... Do I think it's a good idea... YES, but does bobby down the street, maybe not... and that's his choice. personally speaking, The internet is such a great tool, but also very vast. and since it's a WORLD wide web, how can anyone expect to enforce anything? I know the US is working towards that, but then we get back into what happened to this being a "free" country?

#34 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 February 2011 - 12:38 PM

There are examples where WE did choose to protect people, however..

For example, unsafe products. We have various standards (ASTM, for example) that prevent us from purchasing something until it has been extensively tested so that stuff doesn't explode and throw shrapnel into your eyes.

It's a good thing because consumers are generally led astray by manufacturers ... their stuff is the "best". At least this way, producers must have a guaranteed level of quality.

#35 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Krazy8

Posted 14 February 2011 - 12:46 PM

I must admit it is kinda scary to see how much people are willing to spend on a maybe purchase!

The G4 that recently sold had one bidder with 200 bids in two hours. And he lost. Ooof.
\But the sauction had 1236 bids...Wow!

I have never tried to bid in an auction such as these. The concept is interesting but I simply see to many folks lookng for a great deal and willing to smash my excitement in one easy use of an autobid bot.

#36 User is offline   Mike Phillips 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 14 February 2011 - 01:10 PM

It's actually a VERY exciting website to run and to watch. And actually, running it honestly makes it even more fun to watch.

some things I make a small fortune on, some things I just lose my tail on.

I had a used Dye Rotor that I bought for $75 that went for over $9.00 (900 bids), then just to watch my Rendition Alias that I bought from my friend for $1,000 sell for $5, then an Empire Axe sell for $3, then a Dye NT11 that I paid $1500 for, sell for $6

then I've seen a paintball caddy, which costs me $20, sell for $5.00 (500 bids). Some stuff catches fire, some stuff just dies, it's really entertaining.

My philosphy was to be as brutally open, upfront and honest about the risks of using the site, how the site makes money, who was behind it, and how it worked. I just went over the top and far beyond what would be considered "normal" for disclosure. I hid nothing, not my face, not my name, not my intentions, not the risks, just shove it all in front you, and you make the decision if you want to use the site or not.

I figured this was the best way to run a site like this, and so far I'm being proven correctly. I could have opened up a corporation out of a foreign state, run it through a trust and a secondary undisclosed corporation, in an attempt to hide my identity and "channel the money" into my pocket, but I didn't need to

I have nothing to hide. Had 1,000 people sign up THE FIRST day we opened up registration and have nearly 5,000 people signed up so far.

Many people have this "puritan mindset" when it comes to gambling, yet spend all day watching texas holdem, daydream about going to Vegas (which is a blast BTW), participate in church bingo games and participate in purchasing lottery tickets and participate in raffles. But I don't see them crucifying anybody.

You don't have to be 18 to participate in a raffle. I've seen 10 year olds hold raffles for things such as a fundraiser, that's gambling isn;t it? How come we aren't asking for them to be locked up? How come we aren't picketing in front of their house?

For those who never liked me to begin with, this is just something else for them to dislike me more about, which is perfectly fine. There is so many things I want to do in this industry, I want to host my own scenario games (I've been dreaming about an Office Space themed game LOL), host free clinics to get people into paintball, do better shows & videos, have a better website, and of course take on my competitor head-on and promote my website across the industry.

Can't do that with empty pockets :-(

This post has been edited by Mike Phillips: 14 February 2011 - 01:12 PM

Yes, I already know that profanity is not allowed on this forum

#37 User is offline   Pirate 

• I aim to misbehave.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PirateCaptain

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:54 PM

Oh snap, first after Mike :dodgy: I didn't even know he posted.

It's completely legit. Beezid does the same thing (My Dad got in to that for a while. They don't charge nearly as much for bids).
So, I guess good for him for getting in on that. Shame on all the people getting ripped off with their bids.

Mike, while I won't be signing up for the site, well done.
And if you ever put on an Office Space themed game, I will be there.

This post has been edited by Pirate: 14 February 2011 - 05:58 PM

My job is to be an asshole. I excel at the position.
We put our glass to the sky and lift up. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya. So raise a pint for the people that aren't with us. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya...
Austin Michelle Cloyd, Forever in my heart. We love you, Ayesha! Rest in Peace Tyler Hackett
Rest in Peace, Dave Brockie! Cam Cam #83

#38 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 February 2011 - 06:54 PM

View Postcdrinkh20, on 14 February 2011 - 01:38 PM, said:

For example, unsafe products. We have various standards (ASTM, for example) that prevent us from purchasing something until it has been extensively tested so that stuff doesn't explode and throw shrapnel into your eyes.

Unsafe products != Sales, method of revenue generation, etc.

Very different cases.
Member of Team Akkadian

#39 User is offline   Benaiah 

• If you dont get it, youre Sofa Kingdom
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Benaiah2320

Posted 14 February 2011 - 07:24 PM

I dont have a problem with it at all. Like mike said, the rules, how it works, and what it is is all clearly laid out for everyone to see. Even if it is gambling, people gamble all the time and are more than welcome to gamble whatever they want. Some people make off like bandits by timing their bids right, and some people get trashed by someone putting up a $400 autobidder. But thats the site. I have some free bids left, and ill use those then im done. I dont have money to throw away on a site like this. If i want something, ill buy it. But if you want to bid for it, more power (or bids) to you.

Question to mike though: If you made this site to avoid the ebay fees, why didnt you just make it a site similar to ebay but that you didnt have to pay fees for? You could even have other people pay fees to list their stuff, and have a paintball only ebay style buying site.

The only reason i could see is that you saw a greater money-making potential in a penny-auction style bidding site than in an ebay style site.

As for what you've done with the "community" of paintball, i think that you have made an overall positive impact, and i respect you for that. But it does seem that you are beginning to use your influence to make money more than you are using it to promote the sport. But i cant make that judgement because i dont know enough about what you do. That said, thanks for your contribution to the sport and i hope you can continue contributing in a positve manner. If markerbids is what you see as a positive contribution to paintball, then i hope it works.
2 Samuel 22

#40 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mime

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:06 PM

View PostBenaiah, on 14 February 2011 - 07:24 PM, said:

The only reason i could see is that you saw a greater money-making potential in a penny-auction style bidding site than in an ebay style site.

Auction site would mean he only revenues what the final price is, like Ebay.
Pay per bid means small cost items with a few bids on the will make lots of revenue, dispute the final cost being low.

yea you answered your own question.

This post has been edited by Eskimo: 14 February 2011 - 08:07 PM

#41 User is offline   Benaiah 

• PipPipPip

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:53 PM

View PostEskimo, on 14 February 2011 - 10:06 PM, said:

View PostBenaiah, on 14 February 2011 - 07:24 PM, said:

Auction site would mean he only revenues what the final price is, like Ebay.
Pay per bid means small cost items with a few bids on the will make lots of revenue, dispute the final cost being low.

yea you answered your own question.

yea i know i was trying to get at the fact that he didnt make markerbids to serve the paintball community only, he also chose a penny auction site because it would bring in much more revenue from the players buying huge bid packs. If he purely wanted to serve the paintball community, he would have done it in a way that was cheapest to the players. I dont blame him for wanting to make money, i just think that him claiming to have formed markerbids to "serve the paintball community" would be invalid. Im not sure he ever claimed that, but i was just throwing that out there.
2 Samuel 22

#42 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:15 AM

View PostThalion, on 14 February 2011 - 06:54 PM, said:

View Postcdrinkh20, on 14 February 2011 - 01:38 PM, said:

Unsafe products != Sales, method of revenue generation, etc.

Very different cases.

Stop ignoring my overall points :P see my previous post.
Selling death-causing cigarettes that harm other people is ALSO different, but that's not my point.
My point was related to how much freedom of choice vs. protection from your own stupidity (or, in the case above, companies trying to make a huge profit margin by selling unsafe crap).

#43 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Krazy8

Posted 15 February 2011 - 04:19 PM

I have been watching the latest auction. DP FX.

In the last six hours there have been over 1000 bids...keeping the auction going at sub two minutes since then.

Simply amazing.

Five to ten bids coming in at one time in the last five seconds regularly.
One bidder has easily placed 600 bids using the autobidder.

I have stopped watching at 3150 bids.

Wow. :huh:

#44 User is offline   Benaiah 

• PipPipPip

Posted 15 February 2011 - 06:23 PM

its all the mid-range stuff that goes soo high. Everyone is too scared to bid on the bigger stuff, but they think they can win the smaller stuff. thats why the FX is still going for 35.00 and the NT11 went for 6.64.
2 Samuel 22

#45 User is offline   Locknpump 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 15 February 2011 - 06:38 PM

Guys its a business, if you don't like it then don't do it, Mike can be and is flambouyant but tbh if I could set up something like this I would, the economy doesn't play fair, its a fact you just have to reason with or avoid it. Don't judge people based on their business.

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users