night vision toy affordable option??? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   cv222005 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:devestator222005

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:26 PM

http://blog.wired.co...-vision-to.html

so i was thinking this is one way paintball could finaly go night ops. its cheap enough but could it work well enough for use with goggles. just something i stumbled on.

review: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080...on-goggles.html

This post has been edited by cv222005: 28 December 2008 - 10:28 PM

Member of team "Signa Inferre" home page http://www.signainferre.com/ use it to contact us thru the fourms link for scrimages and other stuff.

contact or just check me out on http://www.myspace.com/cvancleave

#2 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:03 PM

it's crap. G4 reviewed it and showed it through a camera. It pretty much is "night vision" handy cam style. Not real night vision at all, just slightly enhanced. Camcorder technology. I wouldn't waste my money
"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#3 User is offline   Not_You 

• Lather, Rinse, Repeat as Desired.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:98customizer

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:14 PM

it's a camera with IR lights
if you got an IR flashlight for your gun, it may work better

and you're forgetting about eye relief
these generally have like 0
if you have a mask on, try looking through it, all you're going to see are little lights, not actually viewing anything
Group: Banned #2
Pirate - "Seriously, I hope you hit this kid over the head with something very, very heavy. Like a truck."

#4 Guest_Cesar_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 29 December 2008 - 07:17 AM

ive gottent to use one of these, and the night vision works fairly well.....except it made me dizzy as all hell....not quite sure what it was, but i just felt like crap after using it .....i also found that due to the camera placement that is was somewhat dificult to walk with it on...

#5 User is offline   Violator 

• The Pirate King / Grammar Cop
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Violator

Posted 29 December 2008 - 01:40 PM

Legato and Not have it pegged pretty well. One of my friends got it for his boy, and we were messing around with it the other night. It is no better than an old "night shot" IR camcorder, and it's really hard to use well, since it's designed for a kids face. You'd be better off saving up for a real NV system, even the older Gen I systems with an IR illuminator are better.
This, is my BOOMSTICK!-Ash... (395 Brownie Pts)...Where do you keep your Bucccaneers? Under Me Buckin' Hat!

Ever fire two guns whilst jumping thru the air? No. Ever fire one gun whilst jumping thru the air? No!

#6 User is offline   Flippy the Wonder Bunny 

• My E-MAN PART is bigger than yours
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 December 2008 - 06:25 PM

It's not worth it for paintball. My brother has it and the field of vision is really narrow. If you put it on on top of a mask you won't be able to see it at all. Not to mention that to anyone with real night vision you'll stick out like a sore thumb.

#7 User is offline   Damage Incorporated 

• Knight Stalkers Scenario Paintball Team Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 December 2008 - 11:45 AM

One important thing to mention is a problem with the fact it has IR lights, while being invisable to the naked eye, the IR light is able to be seen by Gen2 and Gen3 night vision goggles. Think of playing paintball at night with a flashlight. People would see the beam of light coming thru the trees and bushes and know you are coming or follow the light beam back to it's source. Same goes for IR lights and gen2 and gen3 goggles. Those using them would see you a long way away. Long before you would see them. With the narrow field of view you have with the goggles they can stay out of our line of sight and wait for you to get closer and let you have it. Not to mention these probably do not see at a any great distance, maybe 10-20 feet. So those with gen2 and gen3 would see the IR light a mile away and could stand back 100 feet and hit you. If you have an IR light and shine it at the sky, the light would reach the clouds and beyond. You would look like you are walking thru the woods with a laser attached to your head. They would see you a mile away, follow the beam back and bam. .

Proudly Sponsored by:
Outdoor Adventures Pasadena, Maryland-Rosedale, Maryland-Chesapeake City Maryland
CCM-Chipley Custom Machine

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and success of freedom"
John F. Kennedy 1961

#8 User is offline   ION KING 

• Bow down to the king!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Tippmann A-5 player

Posted 31 December 2008 - 06:31 PM

My nephew has it, it actually works but one eye is just black. You only see through one eye and its like theres a visible red light just a little light but its big enough to give you away.

This post has been edited by ION KING: 31 December 2008 - 06:31 PM

current WWII reenactment funds $260/ total gear NONE

#9 User is offline   Spades 

• forum pizzimp
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:sgt. spades

Posted 31 December 2008 - 08:17 PM

yeah, the quality is crap, its like, almost a lighted green-scale of a dark room... lol,

AND, it has a glowing red dot between the eyes from what i hear
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   Damage Incorporated 

• Knight Stalkers Scenario Paintball Team Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 January 2009 - 07:43 AM

View PostSpades, on Dec 31 2008, 10:17 PM, said:

That red dot is the IR light. Not only can it be seen by the naked eye but to gen2 and gen3 goggles that looks like a flashlight on your head.

Proudly Sponsored by:
Outdoor Adventures Pasadena, Maryland-Rosedale, Maryland-Chesapeake City Maryland
CCM-Chipley Custom Machine

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and success of freedom"
John F. Kennedy 1961

#11 User is offline   Millslane 

• i give up
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Millslane

Posted 01 January 2009 - 09:22 AM

View PostDamage Incorporated, on Jan 1 2009, 08:43 AM, said:

View PostSpades, on Dec 31 2008, 10:17 PM, said:

That red dot is the IR light. Not only can it be seen by the naked eye but to gen2 and gen3 goggles that looks like a flashlight on your head.

Don't forget about Gen 1 too. All Generations of Night Vision will see a IR from almost any reasonable distance like a beacon in the night.
And its rarely, hardly seen by the naked eye. You won't see it from any distance and probably won't ever see it from anywhere. It's a very faint red light that does not emit much at all for the naked eye to pick up. At least the quality ones, I don't have much experience with cheapo's if they emit more of the red light.

When dealing with Night Vision, always buy as much as you can afford to.

This post has been edited by Millslane: 01 January 2009 - 09:24 AM

#12 User is offline   slowerpig81 

• This man is a Beast with that Phantom. -thisissparta
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:slowerpig81

Posted 01 January 2009 - 01:53 PM

No, the LEDs really glow a soft red. They are the cheaper, non "covert" IR illuminator LEDs, so they glow red a little. You can get covert LEDs that don't glow at all but those cost more.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users