• You cannot reply to this topic

wall-mart barrel worth it?

#1 User is offline   mr.m21 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:mr.m21

Posted 06 January 2008 - 01:49 PM

So i was in the wall-mart the other day and i found a barrel in the sporting goods section. a stryker carbon fiber barrel with a tippmann 98c adapter for 50$!(canadain)and it was 14inches.so i go home and check the web for reviews on the thing and it sounds okay.so now im trying to decide,should i buy the stryker from wall-mart for 50$+tax or wait and get a j&j 14inch ceramic for about 75$ online some where? ok ok i know,i cant expect to much from something bought at a wall-mart but seriously, if its anygood i'll get it considering im only 13 and moneys hard to come buy so the cheaper it is the better!so gimme some input people!
"Tippmanns are the AK-47s of paintball, Do what ever you want to them they WILL WORK!
I'm the belt feed question machine!!

#2 User is offline   Sp.Ed 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 January 2008 - 01:52 PM

I tried a few of them, and by few I mean I bought one and realized where the barrel portion is glued to the back is not straight so I returned it for a new one and realized that one was the same way. This wont be a problem if you walk paint on to your target only, but if you sight down the gun or use a sight you will notice it is grossly innacurate by not following the lines of the gun.

EDIT

This post has been edited by Sped-SR: 06 January 2008 - 01:54 PM

The opinions and statements expressed on this site are mine alone and are not sanctioned or approved by my Employer. I also assume all legal liability for those statements.

#3 User is offline   Z3R0 

• Spontaneous Hate Machine
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Z3R0 (Sledgehammer)

Posted 06 January 2008 - 01:53 PM

That barrel is not very good at all. And I don't know where you shop, but a J&J shouldn't be costing you $75, not even after shipping. And I do know what shipping is like for you, because I'm also Canadian.

-Z3R0
Posted Image
Lapco Grey Ghost 2008, Classic Automag, PM8, 06 Cyborg

#4 User is offline   mr.m21 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 06 January 2008 - 01:57 PM

View PostSped-SR, on Jan 6 2008, 04:52 PM, said:

I tried a few of them, and by few I mean I bought one and realized where the barrel portion is glued to the back is not straight so I returned it for a new one and realized that one was the same way. This wont be a problem if you walk paint on to your target only, but if you sight down the gun or use a sight you will notice it is grossly innacurate.

so basically their crap for me as i've just spent most of my x-mass money investing in a sight system,like i said,from wall mart what can you expect?oh,and something else about wall mart(i know this isn't directly barrel related but why start a new thread?) i've heard good things about the JT tacamo paintballs, are they decent for just some back yard target practice?
"Tippmanns are the AK-47s of paintball, Do what ever you want to them they WILL WORK!

#5 User is offline   Z3R0 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 January 2008 - 02:04 PM

Just about any paint is fine for back yard target practice.

And I think you definitely should've gone for a quality barrel before any kind of extra sight. If you have an accurate setup but no sight, at least you know it'll go where you point it, even if you can't point it dead on exactly where you need to. The way you have it now, you can point it exactly where you need to every time, but the shot will rarely end up there, which isn't very useful at all...

-Z3R0
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   mr.m21 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 06 January 2008 - 02:24 PM

View PostZ3R0, on Jan 6 2008, 05:04 PM, said:

Just about any paint is fine for back yard target practice.

And I think you definitely should've gone for a quality barrel before any kind of extra sight. If you have an accurate setup but no sight, at least you know it'll go where you point it, even if you can't point it dead on exactly where you need to. The way you have it now, you can point it exactly where you need to every time, but the shot will rarely end up there, which isn't very useful at all...

-Z3R0

i haven't actually got a sight yet, i ordered the m4 weaver hand guard from opsgear and the 98 sight raiser so when i do get a sight i can attach it.next im going to get a barrel(j&j14") then the red dot.

about the j&j,where can i get it for a good price, i can almost swear i saw one for 25$ at the wall-mart in maramichi byt i've never saw them again, as far as places go i found hem at http://www.canadianp.../barrels/jj.htm and http://cgi.ebay.ca/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&...em=110210603527
if you know where i can get them better priced then please tell me

This post has been edited by mr.m21: 06 January 2008 - 02:27 PM

#7 User is offline   t_boneshacone 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:t-bone

Posted 06 January 2008 - 02:27 PM

those tacamo paintballs are pretty dang good
Thats like walking into a room and saying 'Chocolate Cake' and then walking out...nobody knows what you mean.
-Tenacious

I bet my gun-whore (nah- not a gun whore yet- more of a gun-skank. or whatever comes before whore... Catholic Schoolgirl? :P) senses will kick in and then I'll end up with something else...
-thisissparta

#8 User is offline   Z3R0 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 January 2008 - 02:31 PM

I've heard of many people having bad experiences with Canadian Paintball, and their shipping is usually pretty ridiculous. Both are ripping you off at $60 for a J&J. They're $45 USD (basically $45 Canadian anyway) straight from J&J.

And I really think you should have bought a good barrel before Opsgear MilSim parts, but it's your choice.

-Z3R0

This post has been edited by Z3R0: 06 January 2008 - 02:32 PM

Posted Image

#9 User is offline   mr.m21 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 06 January 2008 - 02:39 PM

View PostZ3R0, on Jan 6 2008, 05:31 PM, said:

I've heard of many people having bad experiences with Canadian Paintball, and their shipping is usually pretty ridiculous. Both are ripping you off at $60 for a J&J. They're $45 USD (basically $45 Canadian anyway) straight from J&J.

And I really think you should have bought a good barrel before Opsgear MilSim parts, but it's your choice.

-Z3R0

well i got the 98 pro and most people said that the barrel was decent.and If/when i order it from j&j,any idea what the duties will be?

#10 User is offline   Z3R0 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 January 2008 - 02:43 PM

I also had a 98 Custom Pro. The barrel is decent, yes, but there are many, many things that are worth more for less of a price than Opsgear parts. Your barrel now is almost on-par with a J&J barrel, although somewhat louder, won't shoot through breaks as well, and not quite as smooth. However I don't think in your case it's worth $50+ to make that small of a step up. If you can afford it, I'd recommend a Brass barrel from Palmer's. Unported in 98 threads in Brass or black (matte or gloss) is $60 I think. They are of the topmost quality and accuracy among barrels, and will be some of the most accurate one-piece barrels you'll ever see, possibly equalling kits such as Freaks. If you get it Dual Vented it will also be one of the quietest barrels, however this will bump the price to $120 USD.

But on a $45 barrel, duties will probably figure out to maybe $10 or less, you might not even get any.

-Z3R0
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   mr.m21 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 06 January 2008 - 02:53 PM

can the palmer's shoot through breaks and what about durability? i've heard great things about the toughness of the j&j ceramic,and believe you me i need a tough barrel! i am the most accident prone person in the world!

#12 User is offline   metalhead39 

• The flesh torpedo
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:metalhead39

Posted 06 January 2008 - 02:58 PM

Can't go wrong with a J&J. I got mine for a little over $20 granted I'm in the states but unless you are getting the edge kit it shouldn't cost $70.

#13 User is offline   Z3R0 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 January 2008 - 02:58 PM

Brass is a pretty strong material, and should shoot through breaks fine. If you frequently have chops I would recommend a faster loader of some sort. If you get a lot of barrel breaks then it is a problem with your barrel itself, meaning that should be fixed with a new barrel. I'm sure a solid tube of Brass is harder to snap than a piece of Ceramic, although Brass can scratch so just make sure you don't get any small rocks or gravel or sand inside the barrel and it'll be fine. You might want to polish the inside of the barrel with some Brasso and an old swab every few months/yearly, but that's about all you need to do.

-Z3R0
Posted Image

#14 User is offline   mr.m21 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 06 January 2008 - 03:05 PM

ya,i think im going for the J&J because for the PPS it's about 75$ for the barrel (i wanted the 14inch cause that fits into my grand plan)then shipping and now after the opsgear mods i only have about 60$ and like i said im 13 and have no income.(to young for a job yet) and even though z3ro said its more of a lateral movement i still think thats what i'll get,i'm selling my 98 pro barrel to my dad anyway,he's putting it on his a5(he has an adapter FYI) but thanks for all your input guys!

#15 User is offline   Z3R0 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 January 2008 - 03:09 PM

Then I would recommend saving for the PPS. By taking the J&J you're making a small lateral movement. The PPS will be a huge step forward. If you really can't settle for anything less than 14", save up. Or just take a 12", which is quite close, although it might not fit your plan 100%. An unported PPS will be quite loud, but it will have great accuracy. The J&J will not be much better than your current barrel at all, and it will cost you nearly as much as the PPS anyway.

-Z3R0
Posted Image

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users