• You cannot reply to this topic

need help on picking out a tank Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Scuds 

• Ak's Finest
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Scuds

Posted 21 May 2009 - 02:14 AM

I need some help on picking out some new tanks. I'm trying to find the best one that will suit my needs. I would like one that works well with my arsenal of weapons. I have no idea if I want high,low or fixed pressures. I have an A5, T9, Rap4 shotgun, TPX (pre-order) and Bob Long Vice that will at one point be using a tank. So like I said before, I'm looking for a tank that will work for all of my guns, travel friendly, preferably under $200, carbon fiber/aluminum.

I've looked at Crossfire, PMI, Smart Parts and I like the price range they sit in but I'm confused to as which one will suit my needs.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Later
Alaska's Silent Messengers

#2 User is offline   Perinhawk 

• Will Work for Paintball Cash :)
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Perinhawk

Posted 21 May 2009 - 02:46 AM

First of all, a regular tank would be over twice the size and weight of a TPX, that's why they (and all pistols) work on 12 gram c02 cylinders. Anyway, how much paint can you carry, and how much of it do you shoot on average in one game?Playing style matters most for how much air you need. EDIT: for travel friendly, there are some regs that can be removed to allow you to get through airport security and fly with your tank.

This post has been edited by Perinhawk: 21 May 2009 - 02:57 AM

"Paintball is my art, and your mask is my canvas"- Me
Addicted to Paint

#3 User is offline   Scuds 

• Ak's Finest
  • Pip

Posted 21 May 2009 - 03:10 AM

I'm capable of carrying over 1000 rounds of paint. My shooting style is more picking shots and making them count to laying covering fire for my team. It all really depends on what position I play.

I'm really looking for a tank that does it all really. I have a really broad shooting style and would like to have tanks that are consistent in supply.

Later

#4 User is offline   Tribs 

• Real men use 12 grams
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2009 - 03:24 AM

Most people use 68/4500's. You should be able to get at least half a case from that, if you aren't shooting an extremely gas-hogging gun.

#5 User is offline   Patrick15 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Raiden205

Posted 21 May 2009 - 04:38 AM

Well, first off, he needs to be sure if he can get 4500 fills. If not, then Pure energy makes a nice carbon fiber 68/3000. they have them on actionvillage for only $100! (USD of course)
[post="Click for Pure Energy"]http://www.actionvillage.com/031-3002[/post]
Crossfire also has one, but they are about $50 more expensive
[post="Click for Crossfire"]http://www.actionvillage.com/031-7120[/post]

But if you can get 4500 fills, then sure, go for a 4500 psi tank. You get way more shots, but, they cost more than a 3000.

This post has been edited by Patrick15: 21 May 2009 - 04:40 AM

Official Sabre #809 If We Cannot Do It, It Does Not Need To Be Done

My God is AWESOME. You should get to know Him.

#6 User is offline   Tribs 

• Real men use 12 grams
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2009 - 04:48 AM

View PostPatrick15, on May 21 2009, 07:38 AM, said:

Well, first off, he needs to be sure if he can get 4500 fills. If not, then Pure energy makes a nice carbon fiber 68/3000. they have them on actionvillage for only $100! (USD of course)

But if you can get 4500 fills, then sure, go for a 4500 psi tank. You get way more shots, but, they cost more than a 3000.

You can put 3000 fills in a 4500 tank. Sure it costs more, but it's lighter and can hold almost twice as many shots.

#7 User is offline   chinstrap 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:kl0wn

Posted 21 May 2009 - 04:53 AM

View PostTribs, on May 21 2009, 07:48 AM, said:

View PostPatrick15, on May 21 2009, 07:38 AM, said:

You can put 3000 fills in a 4500 tank. Sure it costs more, but it's lighter and can hold almost twice as many shots.

Actually, the 3000 PSI carbon fiber tanks are slightly lighter and smaller (circumference-wise) than 4500 PSI tanks.
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Krazy8

Posted 21 May 2009 - 09:38 AM

Even if he can not get 4500 fills locally he mentioned travel. A 4500 psi tank wold be the best option since you would be able to utilize the higher pressure fills availible around the country.

Flying with a tank is easy...get the reg off for the first time can be a bummer on older tanks but once you get past the first difficult removal it is smooth sailing from then on.

I persoanlly use Evil Scion 45/5000 tanks and my wife uses the 68ci of the same brand. We fly the country on a regular basis with our gear and these tanks are all four years old.

If I was to go and buy a new tank right now...it would be a Ninja tank.
The Ninja 68/4500 is the same length as my 45/5k Evil and nears weighs the same. The 50ci Ninja sells is very short and comfortable if you play very tight to your cover.
The Ninja guys have also proven themselves to me as top notch customer service folks. When I spoke with them they honestly listened and took the time to answer my pretty hard core questions.
The regs are user servicable and easy to tear down and repair if need be. Also an American company with all parts made in the USA except the guage.
The regs are easy to remove from the tank for air travel.

With the guns you own I would also recomend the 68/4500 tank. And at $155 it falls within your price range.

#9 User is offline   Pirate 

• I aim to misbehave.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PirateCaptain

Posted 21 May 2009 - 07:18 PM

I personally love 70/4500 stubby tanks. I have an old Dye one, and a newer Crossfire one.
Ninja Air makes some great tanks, they just don't have the 70 stubby's. I've never tried taking the regs off of mine, so I don't know how easy/hard it is.

The bonus with 70stubs is that it plays tighter (shorter tank, but wider around). You get a few more shots than a 68ci, but you can knock off a couple inches from the length of your setup (it's a speedball thing).
My best advice will be to try a few different tanks and see what kind you like most.
My job is to be an asshole. I excel at the position.
We put our glass to the sky and lift up. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya. So raise a pint for the people that aren't with us. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya...
Austin Michelle Cloyd, Forever in my heart. We love you, Ayesha! Rest in Peace Tyler Hackett
Rest in Peace, Dave Brockie! Cam Cam #83

#10 User is offline   Scuds 

• Ak's Finest
  • Pip

Posted 25 May 2009 - 02:56 AM

I'm able to get 4500 fills here in anchorage and around the state at various dive shops. I haven't dealt with regulators so I have really no experience rebuilding them. Another challenge if you will. If serviceable by the owner without specialty tools or equipment would be highly recomended.

I don't play very much speedball, I do have a Bob Long Vice that I rarely use with my friends HPA tanks since I no longer have any. 4500/68in is all i have really used. I intended on playing more speedball as my cash flow increases. But the main use for my tanks would be woodsball on my back with a vest.

But with the tides changing to a more bottle on gun application of speedball i wouldn't want to mess with a huge, uncomfortable tank.

I will look into the suggested tanks but I will still take any suggestions or information on making this decision easier on me and my wallet.

Thanks for everyones replies so far!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users