Special Ops Paintball: Any of you guys chillin in Antarctica with me? - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Any of you guys chillin in Antarctica with me? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Sp.Ed 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 October 2009 - 12:36 AM

Title says it all, what dept. are you in and who are you.
The opinions and statements expressed on this site are mine alone and are not sanctioned or approved by my Employer. I also assume all legal liability for those statements.

#2 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 11 October 2009 - 12:50 AM

Not to sound rude or ignorant, though it will probably come across as both, but are there really that many people stationed/living down in antarctica that you wouldn't know them all already? Like there isn't just like one big base with x many people living in it? Once again, not trying to be rude, and probably sound very ignorant. Just never really thought about this before. Always thought there was like 15 people living in a base there and that was it.

What do you do there? And what do you do for fun?
"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#3 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 11 October 2009 - 06:21 AM

Leg. It's not a town, island or territory. It's a huge continent. They do have some year round camps but are about to kick off their spring season. Soon they'll get busy when the international camps open and fishing centers start up. There are research center scattered all over studying different parts.

Just for fun SpED I ran your IP to let others know how your network works.

IP address country: United States
IP address state: Colorado
IP address city: Englewood
IP postcode: 80112
IP address latitude: 39.5690
IP address longitude: -104.8582
ISP of this IP [?]: United States Antarctic Program
Organization: United States Antarctic Program
Local time in United States: 2009-10-11 07:05

#4 User is offline   TheEnd 

• I am the who when you call "Who's there?"
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:TheFear07

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:36 AM

What do you do in Antarctica? Are you a researcher or something?
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realized God doesn’t work that way, so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness.- Emo Philips
I don't drink these days. I'm allergic to alcohol and narcotics. I break out in handcuffs. Robert Downey Junior
Now and then I announce "I know you're listening to empty rooms". If I'm wrong then no one knows, and if I'm right, Maybe I just freaked the hell out of some secret organization.

#5 User is offline   Piller 

• Piller
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Piller

Posted 11 October 2009 - 10:33 AM

My grandmother took a trip there once to the see the penguins on a Russian ice breaker, aide from that I can't really relate.
Automaggot #123 - Pump User #152 - ICE Epic Owner
"Marketing hype in paintball?! The nerve of some people. After all, we paintballers would never throw our hard earned cash into the magic box of marketing hype."

#6 User is offline   Sp.Ed 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 October 2009 - 03:34 PM

I am a Blaster currently employed by Raytheon. I work with the science groups and handle the proper use and implementation of explosives for seismic research. Occasionally I may blast dive holes through the ice when its not practical to bring in an ice drill or or blast to cave in snow and ice bridges in the traverses which act as the roadways across the sea and seasonal ice flows. This year we will be blasting on Mt. Erebus which is a 14,000 ft active volvano here on Ross Island about 18 miles from McMurdo Station. Mc Murdo Station is the major supply and support point for the United States Antarctic Program.

And to answer your questions Legato there are a few thousand people who come through here per year and approximately 250,000 people have been recorded as having set foot on the continent, I realize the chance was slim but thought Id ask.

Hmm Fun huh, well the bowling alley caved in but there are a few Gym's, library, couple of bars, Bouldering cave etc... There are also rec trips to variuos areas of interest and plenty of survival courses which can be quite enjoyable. We arrange softball games and Rugby games against the Kiwis there are also plenty of hiking trails.

Here is a live webcam of part of McMurdo Station looking out into the Ross Sea and one of the Ice runways for the C-17's and LC 130's that fly in.
http://www.usap.gov/...s/mcmwebcam.cfm
Attached File  NZCM09101422123900.jpg (30.48K)
Number of downloads: 13

-ED

This post has been edited by Sp.Ed: 14 October 2009 - 03:39 PM

The opinions and statements expressed on this site are mine alone and are not sanctioned or approved by my Employer. I also assume all legal liability for those statements.

#7 User is offline   Legato 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 October 2009 - 05:41 PM

wow sorry if i offended you there. :laugh: Wasn't trying too. I honestly had no idea that many people were there. Damn. :sick: So to go outside do they give you like a super thick suit to wear? Or is like Under Armour Cold Gear enough?
"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#8 User is offline   Pirate 

• I aim to misbehave.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PirateCaptain

Posted 14 October 2009 - 06:15 PM

There's a bowling alley and library?
Need a Chef? I've always wanted to go to Antarctica.
My job is to be an asshole. I excel at the position.
We put our glass to the sky and lift up. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya. So raise a pint for the people that aren't with us. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya...
Austin Michelle Cloyd, Forever in my heart. We love you, Ayesha! Rest in Peace Tyler Hackett
Rest in Peace, Dave Brockie! Cam Cam #83

#9 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 October 2009 - 07:03 PM

View PostSp.Ed, on Oct 14 2009, 06:34 PM, said:

Hmm Fun huh, well the bowling alley caved in but there are a few Gym's, library, couple of bars, Bouldering cave etc... There are also rec trips to variuos areas of interest and plenty of survival courses which can be quite enjoyable. We arrange softball games and Rugby games against the Kiwis there are also plenty of hiking trails.

OK I'm asking .... what the heck is the drinking age down there.

#10 User is offline   Legato 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 October 2009 - 07:08 PM

Good thing is, you don't even need a freezer for the alcohol, just bury it outside your room and go get it whenever you want an ice cold drink. :laugh: Win!

And do you guys get good liquor imported down there from all over the world, or do you only get like bud light and american crap beers? I'd love some fresh vodka or cognac chilled til it is icy as can be. XD

#11 User is offline   Sp.Ed 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 October 2009 - 08:38 PM

No offense taken,

They do hire chefs and every other position you can think of needed to run a small town. For employment www.usap.gov and select employment opportunities from the column on the left.

Drinking age is 18 and they have a decent selection of beers from around the world but nothing to exoctic and nothing on tap. The liquor is pretty standard stuff and drinks are $3-$4 with a six pack selling in the store for $3-$5 and ciggarettes for $3-$4 depending on thre brand.

The USAP issues a pretty good assortment of clothing from poly pro's to heavy down parkas as well as everything in between. The average temp for the Austral Summer (Oct-Feb) is -40* to +40* with random occurences of much lower temps. Three weeks ago it dropped to -106*.

If you guys are on Facebook send an invite to "Edward Gawrys III" with a note that says specops I have quite a few pics on there you may all be interested in.

-ED

#12 User is offline   82ndx 

• Facta Non Verba
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:82ndx

Posted 14 October 2009 - 09:59 PM

Antarctica, I'd be down. There should be a fund we can set up to have a huge migration to the ice continent, find the second Stargate and the Ancient weapon.

#13 User is offline   Agnoeo 

• The lunatics are in my head
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 October 2009 - 10:07 PM

Was seeing if they needed an X-Ray/CT/MRI tech there...Doesn't look like it:(

Looks nice though
III - One Ball, One Shot, One Kill South East Brigade Patches Coming Soon! Special Ops Pump Crew
So if a pilot scratches his multi million dollar F22, does that raise his auto insurance rates?? -Legato

#14 User is offline   CptObvious 

• Original Join Date- 29th October 2004 - 04:14 PM
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:CPTOBVIOUS

Posted 15 October 2009 - 10:11 AM

I've been wanting to get special duty to Antartica. 1) for the experience 2) because my explorer side wants to see it and 3) because the AF ribbon for antartica is badass. haha.
US Air Force
Posted Image
Proudly Sponsored by: ANS Gear || Pinokio Hoppers|| Stiffi Barrels || ChroniX Radio
[/b]

#15 User is offline   Texas Trigger 

• Nothin' but the rain...
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 November 2009 - 07:43 PM

View Post82ndx, on Oct 14 2009, 10:59 PM, said:

Antarctica, I'd be down. There should be a fund we can set up to have a huge migration to the ice continent, find the second Stargate and the Ancient weapon.

Anyone here have the gene?
I'm here, Benjie, I'm here, I said, clasping his hand on my arm.
Help me Rootie, my legs won't move.
Aw Benjie, it'll be okay Benj, I'll give you mine

USAFA '12.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users