• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

NEWBIE IN TROUBLE WITH A A-5 help with problem on my A-5 Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   THE EVILIRISHMAN 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:40 PM

I have a rap 4 A - 5 and put alluminum and metal power tube front bolt , cocking handle and polished the inside of the marker.I am a very experienced bikE builder / tech and this throws me , after all this the marker pops once and then I have to re cock it for it to fire again . I have a e grip also, the ball latch is pointing in the right direction and the cocking spring and the drive spring are in the right place , but I use some grease that I use to assemble engines to put it together with and I am wondering if that is the culprit . small chunks of grease going where they dont belong causing havoc .? The marker worked flawlessly before I did this so it is definately something I did, or didnt do right.I assembled the rear valve in the reverse way it came apart and nothing was forced together it all fit rather nice and snug.Any ideas of what I did wrong or missed? Any help would be appreciated,Thanks Tim Terminal Velocity Cycles

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by THE EVILIRISHMAN: 27 February 2011 - 12:44 PM

#2 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Krazy8

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:49 PM

Yes, it sounds like you are not getting enough blow back pressure to recock the internals.

Grease could be the problem. A5's like a very thin lube. Hater Sauce, Gun Sav, or any of the paintball specific oil base lubes work well. Other lubes that will also work good...pnumatic air tool oil and Hoppes #9 gun oil.

Another problem is that you did too many changes at once. Doing all that work at one time did not allow you to test fire after each modification. It is very hard to identify the one thing that can be wrong.

A starting point is the lube. If that fails to remidy the operation troubles then I would return the entire thing back to as close to stock as possible. Test the thing out and add one upgrade at a time testing after each one.
That step by step testing process should help you find the trouble.

#3 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:52 PM

View PostTHE EVILIRISHMAN, on 27 February 2011 - 12:40 PM, said:

I have a rap 4 A - 5 and put alluminum and metal power tube front bolt , cocking handle and polished the inside of the marker.I am a very experienced bikE builder / tech and this throws me , after all this the marker pops once and then I have to re cock it for it to fire again . I have a e grip also, the ball latch is pointing in the right direction and the cocking spring and the drive spring are in the right place , but I use some grease that I use to assemble engines to put it together with and I am wondering if that is the culprit . small chunks of grease going where they dont belong causing havoc .? The marker worked flawlessly before I did this so it is definately something I did, or didnt do right.I assembled the rear valve in the reverse way it came apart and nothing was forced together it all fit rather nice and snug.Any ideas of what I did wrong or missed? Any help would be appreciated,Thanks Tim Terminal Velocity Cycles

If it helps, petroleum-based lubricants will wreck the o-rings.
Grease is supposed to "last" longer than oil, but it gums up more easily in the cold....

Essentially, it sounds like the upgrades you put in have lowered the amount of air leaving the valve - which means there isn't enough to force the hammer back into place to catch the sear. So, 1): try increasing velocity.
2) Get a stiffer mainspring behind the hammer to compensate for the new powertube (there may be increased friction as the hammer slides into the pin at the back of it).
3) Try oil designed for paintball markers - I'm not sure how quickly petroleum-based stuff will eat at the o-rings but you'll probably get some leaks when it does.

It could just be the powertube wasn't size properly so the hammer doesn't slide in well - I had an aftermarket lightweight hammer that was slightly too big, and I couldn't get velocity over 230 fps.

#4 User is offline   Dark Shadow Hunter 

• Screwball, one each.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Dark Shadow Hunter

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:44 PM

You could have swapped the cocking knob spring and the main drive spring.

#5 User is offline   syndicate444 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:45 PM

View PostTHE EVILIRISHMAN, on 27 February 2011 - 01:40 PM, said:

but I use some grease that I use to assemble engines to put it together with and I am wondering if that is the culprit

You are correct. As stated prior, the gun works best with thinner a thinner gun oil. Grease used in engines is much thicker and is not designed for use in paintball. The difference is engine lube/oils are designed to not only reduce friction, but reduce heat, be able to withstand the high temps, and carry away contaminates that make it into the oil. Paintball oils are strictly designed to reduce friction, and do not have to reduce heat because the temperature of the CO2/HPA is going to keep the gun cool.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users