• You cannot reply to this topic

Tank Safety Question(s)

#1 User is offline   Tu_Padre 

• Group: Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:West Staines Massive

Posted 14 July 2007 - 09:36 AM

If I were to duracoat or auto body paint a co2 tank would it corrode the valve or make ANY type of hazard that I should know about?

Also, my field won't let you take out your own tank, is this common. They say that while taking out a tank at a birthday party some kid messed up doing it and the tank flew off and killed someone. Is that possible, I've heard of tanks exploding in heat but not while taking them out.

Group:banned #16 Feedback: SpecOps +14/-0 MCB: +2/-0

#2 User is offline   G4 

• THERE'S BUTTER ON MY FACE!!!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:G4

Posted 14 July 2007 - 09:42 AM

Do not ever modify any air tank (Co2 or HPA) in any way. Most fields will not fill a tank after it has been painted (I know I don't.)

What they're talking about is that when unscrewing a tank, the valve on the tank separated from the cylinder, causing the tank to fly off and, in essence, become a dangerous projectile. Most tanks now have a simple marking on the valve and cylinder to try and safeguard against this. All you need to do is watch your tank when unscrewing it and make sure that the cylinder AND the valve are coming off together. It's extremely rare for the valve to separate from the cylinder but it can happen and is actually the only known cause of paintball deaths.

G4

#3 User is offline   Tu_Padre 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 July 2007 - 09:46 AM

Ok, thanks, I guess I could just make a cover to do what I want. I want to do the tiger striping (not like nam but like... bengal, orange and stuff) like on the duracoat website and I wanted to do everything including the tank but I guess I'll just make a cover from fabric.

Thanks

#4 User is offline   Evil Fingers 

• ELITE Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 July 2007 - 03:36 AM

Another thing about Painting an HPA or Co2 Tank, the Tank's Label should never be Removed or Painted Over by the User.

Only a Certified Air Tech is allowed to Remove and Replace the Label after the Tank has been Rehydro'd.

That being said....the User needs to remember that the Label contains the Information about the Tank...when was it built and the Date when the Tank needs to be Rehydro'd.

#5 Guest_TM SNPR_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:28 AM

View PostEvil Fingers, on Jul 16 2007, 05:36 AM, said:

That being said....the User needs to remember that the Label contains the Information about the Tank...when was it built and the Date when the Tank needs to be Rehydro'd.

i thought that they stamped it into the tank at the factory....

#6 User is offline   Dark Shadow Hunter 

• Screwball, one each.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Dark Shadow Hunter

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:42 PM

Some tanks have it stamped at the factory. Others do not. It depends on if it is a CO2 tank or and HPA tank. When dealing with HPA tanks it also depends on if it is fiber wrapped or not.

#7 User is offline   Tu_Padre 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:58 PM

Its a co2, and our field does let us use our own tanks just not taking them out.

#8 User is offline   Evil Fingers 

• ELITE Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 July 2007 - 11:32 PM

View PostTM SNPR, on Jul 16 2007, 08:28 AM, said:

View PostEvil Fingers, on Jul 16 2007, 05:36 AM, said:

i thought that they stamped it into the tank at the factory....

On Steel Tanks yes, but after the first Rehyrdoing Test, the Factory will not put another Stamp, because it would compromise the integrity of the Tank, thus the reason why the Label should never be removed by the user and its there to help the user to remember when it is Time to send in the Tank to be redyhro'd again.

On Carbon Fiber HPA Tanks, the Label must remain Intact, because CF Tanks do not have any Stamped Markings.

#9 Guest_TippySnipa_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 21 July 2007 - 06:07 AM

ya my field wont fill painted or stickered tanks... i found out by watching a group of 10 year olds with a 200$ nitro tank that they were trying to fill whil it was attached to their gun and after they hooked it up the guy is like "uhhh what are you doing?" and then they couldnt get the tank off and it was hilarious

DONT PAINT THE TANK just get a custom neoprene tank cover from www.animalpaintball.com

#10 User is offline   Mastagunz 

• I like bacon.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:MASTAGUNZ

Posted 01 August 2007 - 11:34 AM

My field lets us take our tanks off.....Tanks scare the poo out of me :wacko:
I don't have a good sig.

#11 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mime

Posted 06 August 2007 - 10:03 PM

well the guys at our field took three steel sheets and a cardboard box they said " this is your body with three steel sheets in front of it. now these sheets have been hit by bats. golf clubs, hockey pucks and paintballs overclocked at 325 FPS this is what happend, he held up one sheet that had a couple dents in it and was all yellow and blue like a rainbow. NOW! this is an twelve once tank with a damaged valve. " they unpoped the valve and the valve shot through the steel sheets and blew the cardboard apart like it wasnt even there it flew off into the distance off the forest. " YOUR DEAD." I mean it was a nice display that they did for the senario game so nobody did anything stupid. And for the twelve once tank. it flew off about my guess five hundred feet into the air. and then proceded to crash. he told us that the valve was going nearly 500 Kph -- about 350 MPh i'm guessing give or take 25mph and would have gone through five of us. none the less instead of having my tank hydro tested I just get a new one lol. that demonstration scared the bejeezus out of me

This post has been edited by Eskimo: 06 August 2007 - 10:06 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users