• You cannot reply to this topic

Gun Oil Does it make a difference? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   luckyxtreme 

• Bad Karma Dagger
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:lucky [Bad Karma]

Posted 10 April 2008 - 09:49 AM

I have an A-5 for my primary marker. I also have a backup 98 custom. I am just wondering if the type of oil I use on my gun makes a whole lot of difference? If it is all gun/marker oil does the brand or quality of the oil matter a whole lot? If so which ones are the best, and if anyone has used the worst, what was it?

#2 Guest_Cesar_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 10 April 2008 - 10:10 AM

just go to wal-mart, home depot, ect. and pick up a thing of air tool oil...its the same exact stuff only MUCH cheaper...

#3 User is offline   68carbkiller 

• The Juggernaut
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Rambler

Posted 10 April 2008 - 12:58 PM

I went into my firearm cleanning kit, as use my "Rem Oil" Remington product thats a tephlon spray oil. couple shots of that and my Tippmanns good.
It's not about how much paint you can throw, but hitting your target.

Tippmann Owners Club, Bond #83

#4 User is offline   KRA SHARPSHOOTER 

• [ Doglegs of War ] ~Silent But Deadly~
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:KRA SHARPSHOOTER

Posted 10 April 2008 - 02:10 PM

You can use just about any type of oil UNLESS it contains Petroleum or comes out of an Arsenal can (WD40 contains petroleum & usually comes in an arsenal can). Both petroleum and Arsenal with damage your O-Rings.

I use Special Ops Gold Marker Oil, but you can pretty much use any oil. Remember that you should never use gun solvent on your paintball marker, I saw a kid using that and the inside of his marker looked terrible and his o-rings were shredded, and he had no idea why his o-rings were all shredded up. I told him why and let him have a couple of my o-ring if he promised to never use gun solvent again.

This post has been edited by KRA SHARPSHOOTER: 10 April 2008 - 02:11 PM

KRA SHARPSHOOTER's A-5 - [ Doglegs of War ] - ~Silent But Deadly~ - Archive of Wisdom - Online Discount Codes
"I don't play Woodsball because I have an A-5, I have an A-5 because I play Woodsball" - KRA SHARPSHOOTER

#5 User is offline   Weigel21 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 April 2008 - 02:52 PM

Yep, I myself just use air tool oil since I can get it from work at no cost. And no I'm not jacking 20 oz. of it at a time. I asked the guys in maintenance and they let me have a 2oz. bottle which I get refilled, at work, every couple months or so. It may not be the best oil to use in your marker, but it's far from the worst and I've had no problems with it.

#6 User is offline   luckyxtreme 

• Bad Karma Dagger
  • PipPip

Posted 10 April 2008 - 02:56 PM

Ok cool, right now I am just using the oil Tippmann gives when you buy a gun from them, and some other gun oil I got from Paintball Addicts indoor arena. I might just get some gold marker oil since I will be up at SpecialOps today anyway.

#7 User is offline   Jackson 

• Resident Tiberius Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PvtDBJackson

Posted 10 April 2008 - 03:03 PM

View PostWeigel21, on Apr 10 2008, 05:52 PM, said:

Yep, I myself just use air tool oil since I can get it from work at no cost. And no I'm not jacking 20 oz. of it at a time. I asked the guys in maintenance and they let me have a 2oz. bottle which I get refilled, at work, every couple months or so. It may not be the best oil to use in your marker, but it's far from the worst and I've had no problems with it.

Actually, for most markers, air tool oil is one of the best oils. It is designed to spread evenly when blasted with air, exactly what you want.

I used Palmers Oil, but it came free with my Blazer. Lasted me about 2 years. Once it ran out, I switched to their newer oil, designed to function better in low temps such as playing in the winter or using CO2. It comes in a neat laser-etched nail polish bottle.

#8 User is offline   Weigel21 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 April 2008 - 03:21 PM

View PostJackson, on Apr 10 2008, 03:03 PM, said:

View PostWeigel21, on Apr 10 2008, 05:52 PM, said:

Actually, for most markers, air tool oil is one of the best oils. It is designed to spread evenly when blasted with air, exactly what you want.

I used Palmers Oil, but it came free with my Blazer. Lasted me about 2 years. Once it ran out, I switched to their newer oil, designed to function better in low temps such as playing in the winter or using CO2. It comes in a neat laser-etched nail polish bottle.

I'm not so sure that the air tool oil I'm using is one of the best oils to use in a marker. It has some sort of additives to prevent rust and stuff. If I recal correctly it is "Marvel" air tool oil.

#9 User is offline   Jackson 

• Resident Tiberius Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PvtDBJackson

Posted 10 April 2008 - 03:28 PM

View PostWeigel21, on Apr 10 2008, 06:21 PM, said:

I'm not so sure that the air tool oil I'm using is one of the best oils to use in a marker. It has some sort of additives to prevent rust and stuff. If I recal correctly it is "Marvel" air tool oil.

I've heard of Marvel being recommended by a lot of people. Even with the additives, I doubt it will harm any seals. Think about it, air tools have seals in them as well. Why would an oil for air tools destroy seals?

#10 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 10 April 2008 - 03:29 PM

Marker oil is a synethic, no detergent , o-ring friendly oil.

Many aresol sprays have additives but the worst part is that they also contain harsh chemicals like acetones that keep the contents from cloating , harding or drying out. These additives will kill o-rings.

#11 User is offline   Knightwolf16 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Knightwolf16

Posted 10 April 2008 - 03:44 PM

I use Gold Cup marker lube and its pretty goos stuff. Like said before, do not get regular gun oil or anything with petroleum in it. You can kiss your O rings bye bye
"Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war." William Shakespeare
Nous sommes les seigneurs de la guerre, tremblons avant nous
The Lords of War The Lords of War on MySpace The Lords of War MSN Group Page

#12 User is offline   luckyxtreme 

• Bad Karma Dagger
  • PipPip

Posted 11 April 2008 - 12:20 PM

I was up at the Special Ops store yesterday and got some of their gold oil stuff. It was only $3 so I didn't mind. Now I just have to use the rest of my other oil so I don't waste any, lol

#13 User is offline   VCR 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Alcateia

Posted 17 April 2008 - 03:09 PM

I just read that itīs not good for the o-rings but I have used DW40 for a long time (14 months) and I donīt have a problem, still the same o-rings. I also use graphite lube paste all hover (same said it would block the air lines for the cyclone) including the bolt and the ratchet

I'm not sure but I believe DW40 doesnīt contain petroleum

This post has been edited by VCR: 17 April 2008 - 03:14 PM

#14 User is offline   BlueDragonX 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:BlueDragonX

Posted 17 April 2008 - 03:25 PM

I use Gold Cup in all of mine. I have Automags and Snipers. I use liberal amounts of the stuff in my Automags. The Snipers, not so much, as there's really only one important (moving) seal in them.

View Post68carbkiller, on Apr 10 2008, 02:58 PM, said:

I went into my firearm cleanning kit, as use my "Rem Oil" Remington product thats a tephlon spray oil. couple shots of that and my Tippmanns good.

Actually that stuff's not so great for o-rings. But if you don't have access to anything else I suppose it's better than nothing. I used the same stuff in my A5 for a while before I was able to get ahold of the real deal.

This post has been edited by BlueDragonX: 17 April 2008 - 03:25 PM

Ghost Recon - Chord Mag - E-Mag - Stiffi vs. C-Series
"Smart Parts, Debunking Sir Isaac Newton one paintball at a time." -Arstron (on AO)

#15 User is offline   Frontier_Bill 

• Every day is a Saturday!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Frontier Bill

Posted 17 April 2008 - 04:02 PM

View PostVCR, on Apr 17 2008, 04:09 PM, said:

I just read that itīs not good for the o-rings but I have used DW40 for a long time (14 months) and I donīt have a problem, still the same o-rings. I also use graphite lube paste all hover (same said it would block the air lines for the cyclone) including the bolt and the ratchet

I'm not sure but I believe DW40 doesnīt contain petroleum

It contains Petroleum distillates. Also, it attracts dust REALLY bad.

Put a flame to it as you squirt it. Does it ignite? Yes = probably shouldn't be using it, as it contains petroleum and/or aerosols. My air tool oil does a VERY good job of resisting ignition. I put some on a paper towl. Put the Zippo to it. After several (nearly 10) seconds, it finally started burning. And much slower than a bare paper towel would burn.

Team Rogue Cell #10 Founder and Alpha squad leader.

Danger: Reading online forums may cause irreparable damage to your faith in Humanity.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users