• +

The unfinished monster... Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   druid 

• Celtic Warrior - Mo Anam Cara
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:druidsdecendant

Posted 23 November 2008 - 08:28 PM

Well I sat down and went through some of my gear. I have two hoppers that I don't use...I like them but for different reasons. They have endearing - and disappointing - qualities about them.

Ricochet Rhino -
Pros - Has excellent shell design. The facets make the loader harder to see, inspire deflection (have seen it personally) and shells can take some abuse. It has a window on the inside (left side) to see your paint level.
Cons - Has "constant spin technology." For those of you that don't know what that means, it means you turn it on and it stays on....and spins alllllll dayyyyyyyyy loooooooooooooooong and doesn't stop until the battery is dead or you turn it off. It also only uses one 9V battery and has a SLOW feed rate. That's ok for mech markers unless you are fast-fingered.

12V VL Revolution -
Pros - It is 12V providing even and constant feeding. It has eyes in the feedneck and spins when a paintball drops. This makes for it only having to spin when it doesn't 'see' a ball in the neck. Battery life is very good.
Cons - This is a newer model, having newer shells. They shatter like glass when hit. They are also "clear" and I just don't like them.

Enter my [re]creation...

My new RicoLution. It's not finished yet and I will be cleaning up the "roughness" with paint and putty but that will have to wait at the moment. I wanted to show you the progress so far. I'm sorry I only have these pics but you can figure out what I did from them.

Ricochet hopper and lid, fitted over the Revolution lower, impeller, board and feedneck. It works and spins out paint very nicely.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

This post has been edited by druid: 23 November 2008 - 09:13 PM

Warped A5; M98; 68 Magnum w/ AGD 6-Pack, Automaggot #92 Custom Modder #5
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
I got my OWN smiley...

#2 User is offline   StealingYerMail 

• always throwin bass
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:StealingYerMail

Posted 23 November 2008 - 08:36 PM

That's sick. But the paddles in my AK don't spin unless you press this little piece of plastic down (such as when a ball is being fed into the marker). But cool design, it'll look sick once it's cleaned up... in fact, it still looks really similar to the basic Ricochet AK, which in my opinion is one of the few good looking hoppers.

This post has been edited by StealingYerMail: 23 November 2008 - 08:36 PM

Maggot #53
MacDev 06 Cyborg, AGD Tac-One
Death before Smart Parts Feedback

#3 User is offline   SFC. Connell 

• *Extreme Strategist*
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SFC. Connell

Posted 23 November 2008 - 08:38 PM

so wait...you took a the bottom half of the VL and put the Ricochet shell on it? that's pretty cool...but I though you didnt like the constant feed system? Doesn't the VL have constant feed?

Disregard the VL coment. I just read it again and saw that the VL has eyes....I can sometimes be dumb. haha great mod.

This post has been edited by SFC. Connell: 23 November 2008 - 08:41 PM

Feedback

She faked a funeral so people would come visit?
ROFLMAO That's both terrible and hilarious at the same time.-Pirate

#4 User is offline   thisissparta 

• Tonight, We Dine In Heck!!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:thisissparta

Posted 23 November 2008 - 08:49 PM

Nice! I like it.

Now I want to see someone make a Revvy with the Egg board and impeller, so it's actually forcefed.
The Spartan Armory: 98 Custom, Spyder e99 Avant, Tippmann A5, PMI-1, Splatmaster, SL-68 II, Classic Mag, Nel-Spot 007, WGP Sniper II (~95), DM5, SL-68II, Dye Reflex, Sideline Duckslide, Pro-Carbine, Piranha LB, Splatmaster, PG convert, Tippmann Pro-Lite, K-Framed Palmer's Paladin, T8 with TRG and milling work, SA-8, Gargantom, Custom Cocker
Feedback: SO Forum (+13/-0) MCB: (+24/-0) I love Kaesie. Fact: I am a ninja.

#5 User is offline   Weigel21 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 November 2008 - 08:51 PM

I just checked to be sure and my AK only spins after the tab has been depressed and only for a short time like one second.

#6 User is offline   druid 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 November 2008 - 09:00 PM

View PostStealingYerMail, on Nov 23 2008, 10:36 PM, said:

That's sick. But the paddles in my AK don't spin unless you press this little piece of plastic down (such as when a ball is being fed into the marker). But cool design, it'll look sick once it's cleaned up... in fact, it still looks really similar to the basic Ricochet AK, which in my opinion is one of the few good looking hoppers.

Thanks. I suspect you have a Rhino, which has that feature of stopping when there's paint in the neck but I have the AK and it doesn't. This one constantly spins.

View PostSFC. Connell, on Nov 23 2008, 10:38 PM, said:

so wait...you took a the bottom half of the VL and put the Ricochet shell on it? that's pretty cool...but I though you didnt like the constant feed system? Doesn't the VL have constant feed?

Disregard the VL coment. I just read it again and saw that the VL has eyes....I can sometimes be dumb. haha great mod.

thanks. Yeah the AK body is on the VL gearbox and feedneck and because the impellers stop when they see paint.

weigel...I suspect you have the one with the "upgrade board" which became available about 6 months after the AK came out. They are standard issue in the Rhino..and probably now in the AKs
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
I got my OWN smiley...

#7 User is offline   Weigel21 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 November 2008 - 09:07 PM

You've got it backwards, the Rhino constantly spins, not the AK.

#8 User is offline   druid 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 November 2008 - 09:11 PM

View PostWeigel21, on Nov 23 2008, 11:07 PM, said:

You've got it backwards, the Rhino constantly spins, not the AK.

damnit I think yer right. I'll check and change appropriately
I got my OWN smiley...

#9 User is offline   StealingYerMail 

• always throwin bass
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:StealingYerMail

Posted 23 November 2008 - 09:16 PM

View Postdruid, on Nov 23 2008, 11:00 PM, said:

Thanks. I suspect you have a Rhino, which has that feature of stopping when there's paint in the neck but I have the AK and it doesn't. This one constantly spins.

Nope, it's an AK. Came in an AK box and says AK on the side.

Edit: Sorry about that, missed the other posts.

This post has been edited by StealingYerMail: 23 November 2008 - 09:17 PM

Maggot #53
MacDev 06 Cyborg, AGD Tac-One
Death before Smart Parts Feedback

#10 User is offline   Violator 

• The Pirate King / Grammar Cop
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Violator

Posted 23 November 2008 - 09:29 PM

Coolness on a stick! Nice project that takes the cons of both systems and makes a pretty nice WIN. Nicely done, Druid!
This, is my BOOMSTICK!-Ash... (395 Brownie Pts)...Where do you keep your Bucccaneers? Under Me Buckin' Hat!

Ever fire two guns whilst jumping thru the air? No. Ever fire one gun whilst jumping thru the air? No!

#11 User is offline   Erndogg 

• Team Suburban Support
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Erndogg

Posted 23 November 2008 - 09:30 PM

Haha Nice work...I wish I had the creativity and know how to do something like that.

#12 User is offline   druid 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 November 2008 - 09:35 PM

View PostStealingYerMail, on Nov 23 2008, 11:16 PM, said:

View Postdruid, on Nov 23 2008, 11:00 PM, said:

Nope, it's an AK. Came in an AK box and says AK on the side.

Edit: Sorry about that, missed the other posts.

No worries bud, it was my fault. After dude ^^ pointed it out to me, I had to look at the scraps to see it...lol.

View PostViolator, on Nov 23 2008, 11:29 PM, said:

Coolness on a stick! Nice project that takes the cons of both systems and makes a pretty nice WIN. Nicely done, Druid!

Thanks. Like I said, I still have some work to do to it and that will have to wait until next payday.

View PostErndogg, on Nov 23 2008, 11:30 PM, said:

Haha Nice work...I wish I had the creativity and know how to do something like that.

All you have to do is envision what you want to accomplish. Sit ald look at the project details and muck it up on paper. I wanted to just install the revvi guts into the Rico hopper but that proved a no-go. This was my only option...lol. Plotted it out on paper (somewhat) and just cut it apart with an X-Acto and pull plastic off with some pliers.
I got my OWN smiley...

#13 User is offline   druid 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 December 2008 - 12:20 AM

HERE'S AN UPDATE OF WHAT i'VE DONE SINCE THE INITIAL POST.

I went to Advanced Auto and picked up a tube of Plastic Weld. It's a binary compound that you mix. I fused the shells together with it by laying it in the joins with a Q-Tip.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

And then I got two tubes of JB Weld Stick...also a binary compound but a soft solid. Second pic is what it will mend

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

You tear or cut a piece off and knead it to one color. Notice it's darker than the stick. YOU HAVE ABOUT 3 MINUTES TO GET IT TO WHERE YOU WANT IT because it starts to cure that fast...
Posted Image

and roll it into a cylinder-looking thing...
Posted Image

STUPID combine posts thing.........
I got my OWN smiley...

#14 User is offline   druid 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 December 2008 - 12:43 AM

and squish it into the areas being joined. not only does this strengthen the plastic weld, it also acts as a filler for spaces you want to devoid of space.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Now the directions say that within 10 minutes it's cured that you can move it, 1 hour to put a slight load on it and 24 hours for absolute full cure and hardest set.

I'm going to wait the 24 hours and sand it smooth and see about painting it.
I got my OWN smiley...

#15 User is offline   druid 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 December 2008 - 02:37 AM

MMMMMMMMMMmmmmm.....painted goodness..gotta touch up the black though, got some fingerprints in the paint when I thought it was dry enough (but wasn't)....

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
I got my OWN smiley...

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users