What I live with... Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   JaguarShark 

• TOTSUGEKI!!
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Kiriyama9000

Posted 07 October 2007 - 08:24 PM

City sees a brief homicide respite
Killing yesterday breaks the longest streak -- 7 days -- without a slaying since start of 2006
By Julie Bykowicz

Sun reporter

October 6, 2007

This week, Baltimore experienced its longest stretch without a homicide since at least the start of 2006.

After Jason Fortune was fatally shot Sept. 28 near Lafayette Square, no one was killed in the city until yesterday evening, when a man was shot to death inside a house on Eutaw Place.

This year, the city is on pace to log more than 300 killings for the first time since the mid-1990s. Four times this year there have been four killings in a single day. Marking a full week without a homicide was a noteworthy respite.

Perhaps it was a honeymoon period for the city's new police commissioner, Frederick H. Bealefeld III, who was selected this week to move from acting status to the permanent top job.

Mayor Sheila Dixon thinks it may be something more. She said she picked Bealefeld in part because he has driven a noticeable reduction in crime since assuming the interim position July 19.

That day - coincidentally - the city began its second-longest streak of no homicides of the year. And in the 2 1/2 months since then, both the homicide and nonfatal shooting rates have been slower than during the same period last year.

From July 20 until yesterday, there were 54 homicides and 106 nonfatal shootings, compared with 65 homicides and 159 shootings in the same period last year.

It's too early to tell whether the decreases are an insignificant blip in the overall statistics or mark the beginning of a downward trend, said Ralph B. Taylor, a criminal justice professor at Temple University in Philadelphia.

"Time will tell," Taylor said. "Might your new commissioner be responsible for some of the new improvement? It's possible."

Because homicides are a small number relative to other crimes, the pace tends to fluctuate a lot, Taylor said. "But even a small amount of time without a homicide is hugely important and good news," he said.

Bealefeld, who says he likes to "shout good news from the top of the building," hasn't been shy about pointing to the lull in homicides and the slowing rate of shootings.

His interviews with reporters on the subject have left some police officers wincing for fear that he'll jinx the city. (Indeed, a few hours after Bealefeld was interviewed yesterday, a police spokesman called to say the streak was over.)

"If I believed this was luck or a voodoo magic act, I'd shut up about it," Bealefeld said.

He and others pointed to several reasons that could account for the decline in violence: residents calling for change; newly formed partnerships between police and other agencies; and altered policing strategies.

After her son was badly injured in a stabbing this year, Kathryn Cooper-Nicholas organized a mothers' prayer vigil last month. She said the response was so positive that she has decided to replicate it on the first Saturday of each month.

This morning, after praying at known drug corners, Cooper-Nicholas and other women will gather at police headquarters.

"The people who live in these neighborhoods were coming out to thank us for praying for them," she said. "They are feeling pretty isolated, like no one cares. Caring is a positive in itself."

Bealefeld said he believes that demoralized community activists who might have felt beaten down in past years are beginning to get involved again.

"People are saying, 'It's got to stop; it's got to change,'" he said.

That sentiment, he said, is buoyed by programs such as Operation Safe Streets, a city Health Department effort to steer residents away from crime by helping them find jobs, substance abuse treatment and other assistance.

Shuttering the Top Shelf bar in Southwest Baltimore was another collaboration, this one with the city solicitor's office, that Bealefeld said would have an impact on crime. Three people had been killed there since 2004, and the bar had a history of serving alcohol to underage youths.

However brief, any respite in killings is helpful to the city's 48 homicide detectives, said Major Frederick H. Taber Jr., who oversees the homicide section.

By year's end, he said, each detective will have had between five and eight cases - much higher than the national average of three, Taber said.

His detectives have closed about 35 percent of this year's homicides, he said. They've closed 118 cases, 37 from killings that happened in previous years.

"What we were facing at the beginning of the year, with the new cases coming in so quick - this is giving us a little bit of breathing room," Taber said. "If the tide continues to slow, we're going to have more opportunity to work the cases and close them faster."

Taber said he thought Bealefeld's personnel redeployments, particularly saturating the busy east and west sides with foot-patrol officers, were a factor in the decrease in violence. Bealefeld's 26 years in the department, Taber said, will guide him in making decisions that affect the crime rate.

Of this week's calmness, Bealefeld said: "We're not there yet. We're not even close. But we've started, and that really is the key."

julie.bykowicz@baltsun.com

Copyright © 2007, The Baltimore Sun

Source - The Baltimore Sun
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/bal...al_tab01_layout

I'm so use to hearing about murders everyday here on the news that I didn't even realise no murders were committed...

Just thought I'd share this with the rest of you...
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   SKC 

• So Others May Live.
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SKC 1.5

Posted 07 October 2007 - 08:29 PM

I got's to tell you, your city sucks. move out of there before you get killed.
I proudly endorse:
Bob Long Markers - Empire Loaders and Apparel- Hybrid Apparel - Ninja Air Systems - VForce Masks

U.S. Navy AIRR

#3 User is offline   gameystar333 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PYROPAINTBALLER

Posted 07 October 2007 - 08:32 PM

or (cheaper) get a $100 dollar shotgun viola
guy "How come you guys didn't arm the bomb"
aimforthetrash "because we all died"
my crowning forum achhivement
Feedback here soon.
I support Mike and TechPb. Put this in your sig if you do too.

#4 User is offline   SKC 

• So Others May Live.
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SKC 1.5

Posted 07 October 2007 - 08:39 PM

View Postgameystar333, on Oct 7 2007, 08:32 PM, said:

or (cheaper) get a $100 dollar shotgun viola

now if you are gonna get a gun, don't go cheap. either get a 10-gauge SP-10 remmington, or a desert eagle, or any ol' AK-47. :P
I proudly endorse:
Bob Long Markers - Empire Loaders and Apparel- Hybrid Apparel - Ninja Air Systems - VForce Masks

U.S. Navy AIRR

#5 User is offline   gameystar333 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PYROPAINTBALLER

Posted 07 October 2007 - 08:45 PM

or (again cheap) $40 sks $25 clip and free mechanical work $3 box of ammo and viola ak 47 for $67
guy "How come you guys didn't arm the bomb"
aimforthetrash "because we all died"
my crowning forum achhivement
Feedback here soon.
I support Mike and TechPb. Put this in your sig if you do too.

#6 User is offline   JaguarShark 

• TOTSUGEKI!!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Kiriyama9000

Posted 07 October 2007 - 08:54 PM

Walking around with a gun isn't going to make anything better.
One day, I'll probably own a pistol for defending my home with, but thats it.

Baltimore has a really bad gang problem and most of the murders that happen here are drug and gang related.
The scary thing is that a lot of the gangs have more firepower than the city's police force.
Ak's, M-16's, Uzi's, and all types of automatic weapons are sadly common place...

Its really sad the the gangs quitely run the show while the police just let them be...

This post has been edited by JaguarShark: 07 October 2007 - 08:55 PM

Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users