Special Ops Paintball: Building/Buying a pump - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Building/Buying a pump Rate Topic: -----

Poll: Building/Buying a pump (9 member(s) have cast votes)

Build or buy?

1. Voted Build a pump (2 votes [22.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

2. Buy a pump (6 votes [66.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

3. Forget pumps (1 votes [11.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   MattY0234 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:deltascout55

Posted 25 March 2011 - 10:49 PM

I did a little searching and without looking through all 67 pages of search results to "pump", couldn't find any information on the topic.. Right now I'm using a pretty nice Tippmann A5 all modded out for scenario play. Works decent enough at close to medium range, but I really want to look into getting a good accurate long range "Sniper" marker to bring to the field too. A guy at the field I was playing at the day this all dawned on me, suggested building a pump marker. I was hoping to get some opinions on that and maybe some references to good information. OR maybe some suggestions to reasonably priced (under $600), accurate and preferably reliable ready to go pump markers.

I would really appreciate any suggestions from your experiences and knowledge. Thanks.
~Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body~

#2 User is offline   Private Silver 

• Das poomp
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Private Silver

Posted 25 March 2011 - 10:53 PM

Eh, I haven't really had a whole ton of experience with anything other than a phantom, and even that is small. HOWEVER, i will say that mine is crazy accurate, looks awesome with the acid wash, and is fun to use. AND it is well under you maximum. If you're interested in a phantom, shoot Krazy8 a Pm, he knows a helluva lot about em, and can even hook you up with one.
Posted Image
SO Feedback +2/ E-bay feedback +14

#3 User is offline   shadow_772 

• Never compromise, even in the face of armageddon
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Shadow_772

Posted 25 March 2011 - 11:37 PM

You can get a ton of great pumps for under 600.

Phantoms, Used Gargoyle, Used Carters, CCM's, Cocker pumps (known as snipers), Tracer, KP, etc etc.

If you decide to piece one together, I assume you mean building up a cocker?

#4 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 26 March 2011 - 12:14 AM

Open class is probably a more friendly choice (vs. stock class) if you haven't played before....

But I'd recommend getting a stock feed too if you go with a Phantom. I don't recommend spending more than $200-$300 on a pump if you've never tried it before.

#5 User is offline   Orpackrat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Orpackrat

Posted 26 March 2011 - 02:20 AM

If you can wait a couple more weeks, order yourself the new Metadyne Pump.

#6 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mime

Posted 26 March 2011 - 09:26 AM

here is what I say
If you want to Build yourself a pump, in the end it may not be as performanced valued as one purchused at the same price. Although im sure you could come up with some pretty combinations.

If you want to buy a pump i'd suggest 2:

Stock Class - Phantom (will run between 200 to 350 depending on what you get)

Open Class - AV-1 Falcon (499.99 CDN base price, does have stock class conversions, brand new pump made by Apoc on the MCB forums. delicious marker, awesome tech to it)

if you want more of a Robust do everything pumpè then I would suggest a phantom with the stock class body, + the Open class breach and a 45 grip whic you can run a ASA from.

This way you have a stock class, open class, little bit of both. and it would run you around 350 ish

#7 User is offline   Down Range Pain 

• Holy Necropost Batman!
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 March 2011 - 11:53 AM

go with the AV-1 Falcon
Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” --Martin Luther King Jr.

"Victory is a very dangerous oppertunity" --General Andre Beaufre

#8 User is offline   kaosukoden 

• Aim first
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:kaosukoden

Posted 26 March 2011 - 12:05 PM

Ok, i know this is a pump discussion, and I'm WELL outside of my field of knowledge, but here's my personal opinion (and what else is the internet for?)

as a long range sniper player, a pump seems a bit more of an issue when trying to stay concealed. If you have to move to pump your gun, your movement is going to be picked up. The other issue I have is that a pump marker still shoots .68 paintballs, round water balloons, at 300fps, the same as EVERY other player on the field. I'm a strong believer of the new First Strike rounds, and the immense advantage it brings to a "paintball sniper" My recommendation, get you a T9.1, get you one of those lapco rifled barrels, and spend a few bucks on some FS rounds so you can go back in your back yard and put some serious target practice into it. It'll pay off.

Back to your pump thing though, these guys know what they're talking about, I've seen and played with but never owned a pump, so I can't tell you one way or the other.

#9 User is offline   Orpackrat 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 March 2011 - 12:10 PM

View Postkaosukoden, on 26 March 2011 - 12:05 PM, said:

Ok, i know this is a pump discussion, and I'm WELL outside of my field of knowledge, but here's my personal opinion (and what else is the internet for?)

as a long range sniper player, a pump seems a bit more of an issue when trying to stay concealed. If you have to move to pump your gun, your movement is going to be picked up. The other issue I have is that a pump marker still shoots .68 paintballs, round water balloons, at 300fps, the same as EVERY other player on the field. I'm a strong believer of the new First Strike rounds, and the immense advantage it brings to a "paintball sniper" My recommendation, get you a T9.1, get you one of those lapco rifled barrels, and spend a few bucks on some FS rounds so you can go back in your back yard and put some serious target practice into it. It'll pay off.

Back to your pump thing though, these guys know what they're talking about, I've seen and played with but never owned a pump, so I can't tell you one way or the other.

From what I understand, after the Metadyne Pump ships out, the next accessory for it will be a FS clip system.

#10 User is offline   kaosukoden 

• Aim first
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:kaosukoden

Posted 26 March 2011 - 12:21 PM

in that case, wait and see how that does... cause that may be your "bolt action" sniper rifle. and that pump does look uber sexy.

This post has been edited by kaosukoden: 26 March 2011 - 12:21 PM

#11 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mime

Posted 26 March 2011 - 12:59 PM

View Postkaosukoden, on 26 March 2011 - 01:05 PM, said:

I'm a strong believer of the new First Strike rounds, and the immense advantage it brings to a "paintball sniper" My recommendation, get you a T9.1, get you one of those lapco rifled barrels, and spend a few bucks on some FS rounds so you can go back in your back yard and put some serious target practice into it. It'll pay off.

check out the Flasc FS barrels they have, They have it down the the optimal bore size and length. they put some serious performance into the FS

#12 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 26 March 2011 - 06:31 PM

View Postkaosukoden, on 26 March 2011 - 03:05 PM, said:

^^ pretty much.

If you want long range, then you don't want a pump really. Long range is for flatlines, Apex, and FS rounds. Pumps are kinda useless at long range unless you really know your marker and are that accurate from a distance. Pumps are much better at mid to up close in your face range. You only get one shot, so you have to make it count. Now some pumps with AutoTriggers like Phantoms (really any nelson based) and CCM's and such will allow you to hammer out rounds very fast, despite being a pump. However understand if you don't have a stock or tank to steady your aim, doing this will usually spray more then aim directly. as the marker can move a bit in the pump action.

If you are seriously interested in pumps, try a cheap one first. Honest. Pumping is NOT for everyone. Many go out, drop $300 on a phantom or sniper and find out after getting lit up like a christmas tree the first time they play that it isn't for them. It is REALLY tough to start pumping. Very few start off and play well. it takes time and practice to relearn how to read the field, and even longer to get comfortable doing the stuff you need to do, lots and lots of movement. So if you try, don't get discouraged if you suck the first few times, took me months to get even half ass decent. Some take longer, some pick it up right away. Depends on you> just know it could take tiime and patience.

Buy a $120 Empire Tracer taht just came out or the new Tippmann Sl68 for $180 ( or for that matter buy their originals for under $60 and they are still great pumps). This will get you into the game and let you see if you like it at all. It would suck to drop[ $600 on something and hate it. Resale market sucks now. Trust me. If you want stacked tube instead of inline, get a used Sniper (autococker without pneumatics). They are cheap and feel like a "normal" marker to most.

if you find you really like it and got bit by the pump bug try some out at your field. Everyone is differnt. There are over 180 varieties of the nelson design. Each one feels different to a degree. There are two main builds in pump: Nelson/Daisy design (inline, single tube, very effecient, usually light (some exceptions), usually has around the barrel pump), then there are the Sheridan/Crossmann line (stacked tube, less effecient, usually made of brass, heaveier) snipers are an update to the sheridan design, much lighter and easier to mod as all cocker parts fit on them. Sterlings are the bastard child of the two, stacked tube nelson/daisy.

Nelsons have an auto trigger built in by default, hold down the trigger and keep pumping and it will keep firing everytime the handle reaches the forward point again. Sheridans generally don't have ATs, Snipers and CCM markers do, and other old sheridans that have been modded (some like the P68 AT had it stock)

Everyone likes different things. Some people LOVE super light markers, so phantoms are godly. Super light, very interchangable, very sweet markers. They are just too light to a monkey like me. I much prefer sheridans and thier heft and brass. I am a big Palmer's fanatic (really expensive sheridans). However since i got my Carter Mini Comp (a heavy nelson), i have been using my Carter markers more.

The big thing is find what you like. Don't drop $600 on a gargoyle or carter to start. Yeah they are AMAZING. But you don't know if you'll stick to it. Go cheap or at least cheaper then $300 to start, and see if it sticks. THen if you really like it sell the starter, or keep as a back up, and move up to higher end.

"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#13 User is offline   Orpackrat 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 March 2011 - 07:43 PM

View PostLegato, on 26 March 2011 - 06:31 PM, said:

^^ pretty much.

If you are seriously interested in pumps, try a cheap one first. Honest. Pumping is NOT for everyone. Many go out, drop $300 on a phantom or sniper and find out after getting lit up like a christmas tree the first time they play that it isn't for them. It is REALLY tough to start pumping. Very few start off and play well. it takes time and practice to relearn how to read the field, and even longer to get comfortable doing the stuff you need to do, lots and lots of movement. So if you try, don't get discouraged if you suck the first few times, took me months to get even half ass decent. Some take longer, some pick it up right away. Depends on you> just know it could take tiime and patience.

You can even find a pump such as the A.T.C.I TM11-A for about $35.

Its a little hard to get into, trust me, I'm still not fully there.

#14 User is offline   Soul Fly 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 02 April 2011 - 09:32 AM

I'd go with the Empire Trracer..
Around $120, has Picatinny rails (so BT's SA-17 feed tube will fit, sights, etc.), AC threads and the body is bored to accept First Strike rounds. Though, at this time you have to load them in the breech by hand, but supposedly a spring feed tube for FS rounds is in the works.

#15 User is offline   Supergyro 

• Ain't He Great, Folks?
  • PipPip

Posted 02 April 2011 - 06:20 PM

Wouldn't spring fed first strike be awesome!?!
Posted Image
"Of course you know, this means war."-Bugs Bunny
"My friend got killed by a throwing star but I live because of DEagle."-Thalion

"The visible spectrum is...RAINBOWS"-Pirate

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users