• You cannot reply to this topic

safety rant on my soapbox

#1 User is offline   thevirginian 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:thevirginian

Posted 09 February 2009 - 08:34 AM

Last night I was surfing youtube. I found ALOT of clips of people using paintball equipment is some very unsafe, and illegal manners. Everything from shooting out of a window at the neighbors, to shooting siblings playing outside, to firing on pedestrians from a moving car. There were also alot of people getting lit up from very close range, although most of them at least had the common sense to wear a mask. I know there are tons of examples of these things, but there are some consequences that these people probably don't think about, and could impact us all. You may think these things are funny, but they are not at all, especially when we all lose our right to paintball gear.

In this day and age, politicians are looking for new laws to make to address that they see as problems in the public sector. Some of these laws are not based very strongly in reality, but become laws nonetheless. If a situation where a kid opens up on a neighbor when they step out of their house, and hits them in the eye, blinding or killing them, and the media gets ahold of it, what do you think could happen? It could get blown way out of proportion, paintballers could be seen as evil, militant people bent on the destruction of the population, and paintball could become illegal. Don't think it can happen? I am also an aquarist. A few years ago, northern snakeheads were discovered in a pond in Crofton, MD. Soon, it was illegal to have any snakeheads in possesion. The media played it up, reporting very erroneous facts, and the government responded. This same thing can very easily happen to paintball.

Next time you think about doing a prank like this, think first. If you injure somebody, you could very well be the person who dooms all the paintballers nationwide to lose their rights to play this wonderfull sport. Don't say, it wont happen this time, or it's all fun, or whatever, just don't do it, or you could have a million people across the country PERTURBED at YOU!

If you ever see people doing this, speak up. Paintball really is a privelage, not a right, and it can be revoked. So please, for the sake of us all, don't do anything stupid.

O.K. Off the soapbox I go.

The Virginian

Edit: I didn't know that (perturbed) was gonna get caught and changed by the filters, my bad. Didn't think it was a curse word actually. LOL!

This post has been edited by thevirginian: 09 February 2009 - 08:37 AM

When you call me that, smile.

#2 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 09 February 2009 - 08:39 AM

Ok...the only thing stupider than doing the stuff they do on youtube, is taping it. SERIOUSLY! Thank you for making a video so the cops can prove it in court! Idiots. :)
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

#3 User is offline   Unkel Fester 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Unkel Fester

Posted 09 February 2009 - 08:46 AM

View PostI.K.E., on Feb 9 2009, 08:39 AM, said:

Ok...the only thing stupider than doing the stuff they do on youtube, is taping it. SERIOUSLY! Thank you for making a video so the cops can prove it in court! Idiots. :dry:

There is a name for those people. Future Stars of COPS.

#4 User is offline   thevirginian 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 09 February 2009 - 08:57 AM

Bad ballers..... what ya gonna do when they come for you?

#5 User is offline   ProX 

• My primary hobby...
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 February 2009 - 02:13 PM

Alright... A moment of reality... In addition to being a paintballer, I'm a snowmobiler too and face the same types of problems you (we) are as paintballers. A negative perception of the sport in many's eye, stupid people doing stupid things, and lawmakers and lawmen on our tail.

As a member of a sled related forum, I see members posting topics of the same basic genre as the OP asking others to not do stupid things. The problem with this approach is that the most of the retards doing the retarded stuff aren't even members of hobby specific forums. They don't care enough about the sport and it's future, so posting rants like this one imploring them to stop the idiocy is virtually pointless.

If you really want to help insure the future of your sport, write letters to the editor, letters to lawmakers and lawmen explaining your position and asking them to punish retarded people and enforce existing laws, not make up more laws that infringe on the rest of the responsible hobbyists.
I may be schizophrenic, but at least I have each other.

"Never play AGAINST your wife on her first day paintballing. Wife gets beat = no more nookie"
Mark that quote down... very important.

When I did tech support for Dell a call came in about a laptop that wasn't working right. The guy insisted that the bullet holes in had nothing to do with the boot issues... -Puzuma

#6 User is offline   thevirginian 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 12 February 2009 - 08:29 AM

View PostProX, on Feb 11 2009, 02:13 PM, said:

Alright... A moment of reality... In addition to being a paintballer, I'm a snowmobiler too and face the same types of problems you (we) are as paintballers. A negative perception of the sport in many's eye, stupid people doing stupid things, and lawmakers and lawmen on our tail.

As a member of a sled related forum, I see members posting topics of the same basic genre as the OP asking others to not do stupid things. The problem with this approach is that the most of the retards doing the retarded stuff aren't even members of hobby specific forums. They don't care enough about the sport and it's future, so posting rants like this one imploring them to stop the idiocy is virtually pointless.

If you really want to help insure the future of your sport, write letters to the editor, letters to lawmakers and lawmen explaining your position and asking them to punish retarded people and enforce existing laws, not make up more laws that infringe on the rest of the responsible hobbyists.

True that, I just had to get it off my chest, and maybe somebody will read it and take it to heart that would otherwise do a stupid thing. We don't have much of this kind of problem in my area, but it does seem to pop up alot in more populated areas. Maybe a contact to youtube would help, as it may remove some of these stupid actions from the public eye.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users