Russian History? Help! Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   82ndx 

• Facta Non Verba
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:82ndx

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:07 PM

Help,

It is five past 3pm and I am in dire need. I have to hand in an essay proposal for my Russian History class at 7pm tonight and I haven't the foggiest clue as to what I am going to write on. I am calling upon anyone to give me an idea. I can write on people, events, economics, politics; pretty much anything from the creation of Russia up until 1917. This is a 3rd year course at university but I will accept any ideas!

Thanks,
Doug

#2 User is offline   Epic_Fail 

• The Mad King
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:*hug*

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:09 PM

Russia's involvement in the cold war?
How'd you do that, sexy? - Becc asking me a question.

Aaron: Alcohol sucks balls. / Fen: No, that's what I do. / Me - Fen sucks balls! / Fen - Only yours Epic.

#3 User is offline   Ashrak 

• Precipice
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:12 PM

View Post82ndx, on Feb 11 2009, 06:07 PM, said:

Help,

It is five past 3pm and I am in dire need. I have to hand in an essay proposal for my Russian History class at 7pm tonight and I haven't the foggiest clue as to what I am going to write on. I am calling upon anyone to give me an idea. I can write on people, events, economics, politics; pretty much anything from the creation of Russia up until 1917. This is a 3rd year course at university but I will accept any ideas!

Thanks,
Doug

@ Epic

I believe the Cold War took place AFTER 1917.

@ 82ndx

How about the dynamics that led to the Russian Revolution?

This post has been edited by Ashrak: 11 February 2009 - 04:13 PM

Alea iacta est ~ The board is set, the pieces are moving.
~ Like the leaves of the forest when Summer is green, That host with their banners at sunset were seen:
Like the leaves of the forest when Autumn hath blown, That host on the morrow lay withered and strown. ~ Destruction of Sennacherib

~ Believe me, dear Sir: there is not in the American states a man who more cordially loves a union with his country than I do. But, by the God that made me, I will cease to exist before I yield to a connection on such terms as the United States Congress proposes; and in this, I think I speak the sentiments of America. ~ Thomas Jefferson (modernized)
Summertime Blues

#4 User is offline   Epic_Fail 

• The Mad King
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:*hug*

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:14 PM

...for some reason I read 2007...
How'd you do that, sexy? - Becc asking me a question.

Aaron: Alcohol sucks balls. / Fen: No, that's what I do. / Me - Fen sucks balls! / Fen - Only yours Epic.

#5 User is offline   82ndx 

• Facta Non Verba
  • PipPip

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:15 PM

It has to be an argumentative paper (guess I should have mentioned that). I like where you are going with this though, but what would I argue?

#6 User is offline   Fenrisulfr 

• They call me "Opsy."
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:BlackOpsGhost

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:26 PM

View Post82ndx, on Feb 11 2009, 06:15 PM, said:

It has to be an argumentative paper (guess I should have mentioned that). I like where you are going with this though, but what would I argue?

The entire social, political and economical state in Russia.
BOG, that was the most annoying thing I have ever had to endure, and I once watched a whole Teletubbies episode. - Hobo
I don't have MAJOR problems. I have minor annoyances that YOU consider major problems.
WARNING: Extreme sarcasm ahead.

#7 User is offline   Ashrak 

• Precipice
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:28 PM

You could argue against the tsarist society, and how it helped give fertile ground to the Bolsheviks.

To narrow the focus, if needed, you pick a specific policy.
Alea iacta est ~ The board is set, the pieces are moving.
~ Like the leaves of the forest when Summer is green, That host with their banners at sunset were seen:
Like the leaves of the forest when Autumn hath blown, That host on the morrow lay withered and strown. ~ Destruction of Sennacherib

~ Believe me, dear Sir: there is not in the American states a man who more cordially loves a union with his country than I do. But, by the God that made me, I will cease to exist before I yield to a connection on such terms as the United States Congress proposes; and in this, I think I speak the sentiments of America. ~ Thomas Jefferson (modernized)
Summertime Blues

#8 User is offline   MurderDeathKill 

• Spot 31
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MurderDeathKill

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:30 PM

Thesis: it takes a "Stalin" to rule a "Russia."

Pick out some of the big leaders in Russia's history, talk about how they ruled and how they treated their people/subjects/whatevers. Talk about how they treated foreign powers, too. Argue whether or not you have to be the hard-lining, chest-thumping autocrat to keep your power -- I'd vote that yes you do, in Russia, but maybe I'm mistaken.
Go Yoda -- I didn't order that!
Posted Image
T-6 A Texan II -- Vance AFB -- 71OTG Ghostriders -- 8FTS Ballers -- Cobra Flight

#9 User is offline   DvS21 

• Duct Tape; saving lives since 1942
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Raiden21

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:39 PM

Peter the great I dunno tons of stuff there.

PBN Feedback AO Feedback SOP Feedback
"We could do a raffle, I've got some random bowling trophies somewhere. Everyone needs a bowling trophy." - DigitalPirate
"No, Puzuma, please tea bag me for free......actually....after that statement....I don't even care"- Deuce
"So what? She had sex in your bed... Somebody had to, and obviously you dropped the ball..." - Jones

#10 User is offline   82ndx 

• Facta Non Verba
  • PipPip

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:40 PM

I am liking both ideas here. Imperialist Russia and the path they took to set the stage for Revolution and the idea that all Russian leaders have to be ruthless and fearful.

Keep em coming, its really helping the thought process. Feel free to elaborate on your ideas as well if you desire to. Everything helps!

#11 User is offline   The Stuntman 

• I feel like I'm taking Crazy Pills!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:The Stuntman

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:42 PM

Go with Peter the Great...the Tsar that single handedly dragged Russia (kicking & screaming) out of medievel culture & into the 17th century.
One of the most facinating figure of European history & easy to find material on. Look up Robert Massie's book "Peter the Great".

Have fun!

#12 User is offline   82ndx 

• Facta Non Verba
  • PipPip

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:45 PM

View PostThe Stuntman, on Feb 11 2009, 03:42 PM, said:

Go with Peter the Great...the Tsar that single handedly dragged Russia (kicking & screaming) out of medievel culture & into the 17th century.
One of the most facinating figure of European history & easy to find material on. Look up Robert Massie's book "Peter the Great".

Have fun!

Peter is definitely one of the most interesting leaders of all time really. His masquerade through Europe as a lowly corporal, learning the ways of the West while making sure his posse, himself included indulged well in drink. He alone would be an awesome topic but I am a stickler for originality and I know others will write on him. So he is kinda a last resort.

#13 User is offline   JerseyPaint 

• Jersey Fresh.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:JerseyPaint

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:35 PM

Why not the reign of Catherine the Great (Catherine II)? She has a pretty cool story about how she came to power and she was one of the most enlightened despots of Europe.

Are you agitating my dots? 10%
RIP HEMP/HEMD/PbF

#14 User is offline   82ndx 

• Facta Non Verba
  • PipPip

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:43 PM

I was thinking of her as well. Her rise to power shrouded in mystery (was she behind the death of her incompetent husband? nice story line). I know the term enlightened despots but I'm not sure I would prefer to call her enlightened. I guess that in itself is an essay topic. Ha.

#15 User is offline   JackRock 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:JackRock

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:52 PM

I once wrote up a sort of essay for a personal project of mine, and I can say both Peter and Catherine are unbelievably interesting and detailed when you search thoroughly on them.
This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My sig is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My sig, without me, is useless. Without my sig, I am useless. I must type my sig true. I must spell better than my enemy who is trying to judge me. I must type before he ridicules me. I WILL... My sig and I know that what counts in this forum is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the splatter we make. We know that it is the hits that count. WE WILL HIT... Before the Admins, I swear this creed. My sig and myself are the defenders of my forum. We are the masters of our enemy. WE ARE THE SAVIORS OF MY PROFILE. - Tippmann Owner #pi

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users