Special Ops Paintball: A noncombatant role... - Special Ops Paintball

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A noncombatant role... The Combat Photographer Rate Topic: -----

Poll: Should the Combat Photgrapher be a position? (59 member(s) have cast votes)

Yeah or Nay, what dso you think and why?

1. Yeah? (34 votes [57.63%])

Percentage of vote: 57.63%

2. Nay? (25 votes [42.37%])

Percentage of vote: 42.37%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Knightwolf16 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Knightwolf16

Posted 10 August 2008 - 06:02 AM

At our last game, one member of our team said he would take pictures during the final battle. How many teams or players want to take pictures while they are playing? Quite a few. Everyone wants to see themselves in pictures while they are playing.

Cameras aren't cheap and to get good photos, an individual must basically put down his/her marker and pick up a camera. You really have to protect the camera with your body. Even if the combat photographer is wearing a vest to distinguish him/her, they can still get lit up pretty bad.

The reason I suggested this is for a simple fact, I've tried to take a camera out onto the field but always get caught in fire fights. I may get a couple of pictures but usually not very many and usually no action pictures.

Also consider that the Combat Photographer has been around since WWII. They do play an important role in promoting the sport and an the image of the sport. It tkaes a lot of nerve to take up this role.

Say how you vote and why... Be critical but in a constructive way.

This post has been edited by Knightwolf16: 10 August 2008 - 06:05 AM

"Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war." William Shakespeare
Nous sommes les seigneurs de la guerre, tremblons avant nous
The Lords of War The Lords of War on MySpace The Lords of War MSN Group Page

#2 User is offline   Aaron723 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Aaron723

Posted 10 August 2008 - 06:27 AM

I lile the idea of combat photographers. It would make things interesting at the least. But there would have to be rules set up to keep them from getting shot all to hell and back.
Sic Vis Pacem Para Bellum. If you want peace prepare for war.
If We Cant Do It, It Doesnt Need To Be Done!

#3 User is offline   C9H13NO3 

• Miramar Mafia
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:C9H13NO3

Posted 10 August 2008 - 10:21 AM

I'd say a bright orange vest, that players aren't allowed to wear should be put in the rules.

Also, I've seen people wrap their cameras in padding, with only the button, end of the lens, focus rings, and viewfinder exposed. Looked odd, but probably works.

#4 User is offline   Steed 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 August 2008 - 10:45 AM

No, simply no. If you want to takes pictures on the field and get points for it then mark it down as a ref day but there is no need for a "Combat Photographer" since it serves no in game purpose. Photographers should be classed as NON-players or Refs unless they're trying to confuse the other team but in general players should be in Orange vests or refs close and at that point follow the same laws as NP's.
As far as "Padding" there are some hard body covers that protect the bodies from abuse, unfortunately a good lens is as much as the camera and the best thing to protect that with is a UV Filter and that won't completely stop a paintball unless you're far out there. Unfortunately a dirt hit from a paintball would require a shipment to the factory to get the thing torn down and cleaned.

#5 User is offline   MaDuce 

• Grab your gun and bring the cat in.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MaDuce

Posted 10 August 2008 - 03:18 PM

If you want to set your marker down and take photographs than go to the staging area, put away the gear you won't need, put on a bright caution vest and pick up your camera. The photographers who take photos for Splat, Facefull, APG, or Recon are already considered as non-players or "non-combatants" and they're not targeted for elimination by either team, usually.

This post has been edited by MaDuce: 10 August 2008 - 03:20 PM

"Its very hard to grasp the idea at first but once you accept it, it makes A LOT of sense!" -- Minnesota Sn1p3r on conspiracy theories
"Everyone instantly jumps the conclusion that the government is out to get us." -- SWAT SAINT
"Bad Duce, bad." -- Ace-014
"Good man, Duce, good man." -- Tryon
"Also accepting female snipers." -- Lt.Col.Vortex

#6 User is offline   RyantheMighty 

• Roleplayers... We kill with our MINDS!!!
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:RyantheMighty

Posted 12 August 2008 - 03:45 PM

I agree with Steed; You are either a photographer (and out of play) OR a player (and in play). Not both.
You want to put down your marker and pick up a camera? Great!

Your options:

1) Neutral player. Out of play.
Put on an orange vest and be completely out of the action: no calling positions for team mates, no recon'ing an area, no pulling props, no pulling flags, etc. Nothing to give your side a tactical advantage. When you go off the field afterwards, take off the orange vest and grab your marker again, you start back where you were before you picked up the camera.

2) In character. In play.
You have your camera slung next to your sidearm. You are still playing the game and can be hit, tagged out, healed, captured, tortured, sold for ransom, steal props, barter, recon, barrel tag, etc. You can NOT get mad at people who shoot at you... You are still in play. Once you are hit, if you still want to take pictures of the immediate area, every ten to fifteen seconds, yell out, "Dead man! Photographer! Just taking pictures! Dead man! Dead Man!" and expect a few errant shots your way.

If you are wearing a safety vest, EVERYONE is safe around you. You are out of the action and not a threat in any way. You can not be both in play and out of play at the same time. It makes the other side nervous and sometimes angry because they think you may be cheating AND it ALWAYS gets other photographers, role players and neutral folks shot.
Shoot your mouth off every Wednesday with Paintball LIVE!
www.pblive.tv
7pm PT / 10pm ET

#7 User is offline   Reticent One 

• Who's that?
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Reticent One

Posted 12 August 2008 - 08:54 PM

Everyone above me covered it, but I'd add one might make a plastic 'box' to protect their camera but of course not be in play just alert the teams and put something like a vest on and tape on their helmet to keep the pot shots down when they can't see the camera man/woman's body.
"I'm sorry, I thought you was corn."

#8 User is offline   Wrzesinski 

• Gives his $.02
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Wrzesinski

Posted 12 August 2008 - 09:06 PM

why would that be a position? it serves NO tactical role whatsoever...play a normal position and bring your camera...
The signature in this location has been removed due to FORUM RULES VIOLATIONS. Please check this link : FORUM SIGNATURE RULES AND REGS and feel free to repost your signature according to the guidelines set by this forum.
Being too awesome :P

Who has the best girlfriend in the whole wide world? ME!

#9 User is offline   JackRock 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:JackRock

Posted 12 August 2008 - 09:27 PM

I fail to see how this could be a PLAYER position. To the game, the photographer serves no purpose. All the effect of the photographer is AFTER the game, unless they are cheating and "spying" or being a neutral "bunker".
This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My sig is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My sig, without me, is useless. Without my sig, I am useless. I must type my sig true. I must spell better than my enemy who is trying to judge me. I must type before he ridicules me. I WILL... My sig and I know that what counts in this forum is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the splatter we make. We know that it is the hits that count. WE WILL HIT... Before the Admins, I swear this creed. My sig and myself are the defenders of my forum. We are the masters of our enemy. WE ARE THE SAVIORS OF MY PROFILE. - Tippmann Owner #pi

#10 User is offline   Scavies 

• DIY Extrordinaire
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Valjean

Posted 13 August 2008 - 06:36 AM

Yes that is a really good idea...but no it probably won't become a position.

Remember that Spec Ops wants to make money by marketing these positions, so I'm pretty sure they won't be manufacturing cameras anytime soon.

But hey! Photographers on the battlefield and people taking videos really require talent and ususally have wonderful results. Also, you get very few in action shots in games...usually just the staging area or pre-game (Those videos are teh suck compared to gameplay usually). I really want to invest in a video camera and start filming some games.
FREE stock picks and market analysis by a self-taught day trader!
TradersBase.com

#11 User is offline   Knightwolf16 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Knightwolf16

Posted 13 August 2008 - 05:49 PM

View PostWrzesinski, on Aug 13 2008, 12:06 AM, said:

why would that be a position? it serves NO tactical role whatsoever...play a normal position and bring your camera...

No tactical role???.......hello digital camera..........what world do you live in? We're talking a very quick intel turn around if you want to apply it.............

Also the backwords flag........so not cool

This post has been edited by Knightwolf16: 13 August 2008 - 05:54 PM

"Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war." William Shakespeare
Nous sommes les seigneurs de la guerre, tremblons avant nous
The Lords of War The Lords of War on MySpace The Lords of War MSN Group Page

#12 User is offline   Flip 

• Liaison/Demolitions Team 10th Mountain
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Flip

Posted 14 August 2008 - 06:46 AM

Comming from the RP Scenario community the "hey I'm just a photographer" ruse has been used for years and will get you a quick BT or possibly lit-up by anyone that's played a few RP Scenario games. :blush:

It's an old trick that has been used by those that are looking to use the "grey" areas and to me not "stand-up" ball playing.

If you are in a vest or with a ref you are a non-player.

As far as no purpose?????

Straight from the GSRP:

PHOTO RECON:

Exactly the same as a Recon & Report with the addition that the intelligence you gather must be done in a photograph, which is given to the mission referee. Instamatic Cameras are provided to the commanders. The better the picture(s) (showing players or bases, etc.) will increase the point bonus on this mission! Pictures needing a magnifying glass to view anything or showing a big tree will be worth much less in points!!! The event director may specify the number of pictures to be taken. Example: Photo Recon the enemy's base. Walk down and take a picture or two of the opposing commander in his base & return these pictures to your commander. Easy enough :wub:.

I usually carry a camera with me during Scenario games - the disposable ones work great. Biggest problem is I seem to get too involved in the game and forget to snap a few shots.

As far as an actual position.... not sure how you could work it into most games? A non-combatant is usu a NPC type?
Flip
Liaison/Demolitions
Team 10th Mountain

#13 User is offline   The Bear 

• The Bear
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ghost Bear

Posted 14 August 2008 - 08:55 AM

I've done combat videographer before. Kinda fun actually, and I was considered a non-player. My camera fit perfectly inside an extra mask with enough room that I could still operate the controls. I did get lit up really bad, but it's hard to ask people to take that critical few seconds to identify an unexpected element to the game in the middle of a firefight. It's the price you'll have to pay to get some really great action shots. I'll definitely do it again. ;)

Bear
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 User is offline   ChaoticRedneck 

• one crazy southern marylander
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:ChaoticRedneck

Posted 14 August 2008 - 11:09 AM

i actually have someone that comes out to events with us and take pictures - 1st half us and our side, second half the other side and some shots of our team

my sister takes some good pics i must say

wearing a bright orange hunting vest and carrying around a blue shield( an old sled with rope to hang on to it) works great for her ;)
Sons of the South Paintball Team
Official Broadsword #54
A5/X7 OG
Proudly Sponsored by Southern Md Paintball Medusa Paintball ANS Gear

#15 User is offline   MaDuce 

• Grab your gun and bring the cat in.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MaDuce

Posted 15 August 2008 - 11:14 PM

View PostKnightwolf16, on Aug 13 2008, 05:49 PM, said:

View PostWrzesinski, on Aug 13 2008, 12:06 AM, said:

No tactical role???.......hello digital camera..........what world do you live in? We're talking a very quick intel turn around if you want to apply it.............

Also the backwords flag........so not cool

So you're spying? I thought this was just to take some cool action shots for your own personal collection or to share with other paintballers. If you're taking some snapshots to provide intel for your team, you and your camera deserve to be lit up.

The "backwards flag" is also placed that way on U.S. military uniforms. On the other side, the flag is facing forwards. If the patch was not backwards, it would look like the Stars and Stripes were retreating, when seen on the right shoulder.

Posted Image

"The full-color U.S. flag cloth replica is worn so that the star field faces forward, or to the flag’s own right. When worn in this manner, the flag is facing to the observer’s right, and gives the effect of the flag flying in the breeze as the wearer moves forward."
"Its very hard to grasp the idea at first but once you accept it, it makes A LOT of sense!" -- Minnesota Sn1p3r on conspiracy theories
"Everyone instantly jumps the conclusion that the government is out to get us." -- SWAT SAINT
"Bad Duce, bad." -- Ace-014
"Good man, Duce, good man." -- Tryon
"Also accepting female snipers." -- Lt.Col.Vortex

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users