• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

AVATAR-The Movie...... Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Niceguy74 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 December 2009 - 09:35 PM

just saw it...wow, pretty impressive effects man. best i ever saw.

i will say that you should only see this in 3D if your theater offers it...anything less would be a shame to watch.

now, for those that have seen it....were ya staring at their digital camo uniforms wondering if they came from spec-ops???????

OMG man....i was staring at those things looking for the SO logo.......

#2 User is offline   Fenrisulfr 

• They call me "Opsy."
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:BlackOpsGhost

Posted 26 December 2009 - 10:35 PM

I've been both told it was good and the reviews have been highly positive as well. I may see it.

This post has been edited by Fenrisulfr: 26 December 2009 - 10:35 PM

BOG, that was the most annoying thing I have ever had to endure, and I once watched a whole Teletubbies episode. - Hobo
I don't have MAJOR problems. I have minor annoyances that YOU consider major problems.
WARNING: Extreme sarcasm ahead.

#3 User is offline   Silent-7 

• Christian Paintballer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Silent-7

Posted 26 December 2009 - 11:29 PM

Loved the movie! My favorite part of seeing it in IMAX wasn't even the 3D though - it was the sound. Everything from the explosions to the screams and roars of various creatures sounded incredible in such high definition surround.

Even better than the 3D or the sound though, was the story itself. I haven't seen a new movie that was so colorful and imaginative in quite a while!

In other words, if you haven't seen it yet, DO!

And I didn't notice the camo thing, but I'll be watching for it next time. :P
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   Veritech Squad 

• Come at me bro.
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 December 2009 - 11:43 PM

The camo's definitely something custom, knowing James Cameron. And definitely not any form of anything SO has to offer.

Otherwise, movie was awesome.
Wretched is the sound of my voice.

IN MY DROPSHIP ZIGZAGS STAY LIT

#5 User is offline   Ace-014 

• Back From Life (FCSN)
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ace-014

Posted 26 December 2009 - 11:46 PM

*Ace enters*

*The villagers prepare themselves for the worst*

This movie, was absolutely...

I mean I just can't believe how...

I'm mean seriously?

This movie was freakin awesome! It was just down right a piece of cinematic art. Just might be the best movie that's come out this decade.

The visuals were astounding.

The acting was great.

The plot was very well thought out and directed.

No major event was purely random or unexplained. Every scene made sense and had a purpose.

The characters were 3-Dimensional and realisticly put together.

The movie had balls.

What I don't understand is where alot of these big critics are coming from saying this movie is mediocre? In fact I typed up an entire rant/review about it (being the film critic that I am). Let's see if I can find it...

Ah, here we go. It's a little sloppy. I wrote it a few days ago at like one in the morning.

There are a few minor spoilers, but not much that you couldn't figure out from watching the trailer, so if you're really paraniod about learning anything what-so-ever about the movie, skip over the following.

So I just saw Avatar and it was really good. Don't get what everyone's big deal is. Seems alot of critics have had a bitch fit over it, for some reason.

The plot is well thought out, all the scenes mesh well together, the characters are 3 dimensional and not over-done or exaggeratted, and lastly, it's realistic.

With the explanations it provides along the way, it's a realistic view on the future of man-kind, the military, and major corporations. People have said "well according to this movie, mankind is just evil and we've always just gotta blow em all up!". Well maybe they should've paid attention. The main character explains how the military used to be honorable and now they act like missionaries. "Hired hands", I believe he says". That explains the "big bad military" and why they act the way they do. They're being paid to do their job, not care. And considering most of the environment tries to kill them, they don't have a reason to force alot of sympathy into their actions. Think how people have acted towards indians and natives of lands that we've invaded in the past. History shows us that people have a tendency to act harshly towards natives when they have something they want (i.e. the Spaniards and the Mayans). The Corporation is also portrayed realisticly as well, especially considering that there are modern day corporations that behave in such a manner.

Also, why is it assumed that every soldier as well if evil too? In fact, the movie gives the opposite view if you ask me. It gives you two main villians, but portrays not minions, but soldiers. Were there some who got into the "kill the blue people" thing? Sure, but the movie also portrayed those who were sympathetic, and those who were just there to do their job. Was every Nazi evil? Of course not, they just happened to be on the side with a morally corrupt leadership.

Why doesn't anyone listen to the scientists? Weeell, it states from the very begining to the end of the movie the clash between the scientists and the Corporation. The Corporation thinks that the project that the smart people have is a joke, and have them around to find a "diplomatic solution", mostly for good press. The scienstists grow attached to the planet and try to push against the Corporation more and more until they end up fighting it.

While the basis of the plot isn't incredibly original, it is still very enjoyable to watch, especially with the little twists that James Cameron throws in. How the main character gets into the tribe is original I believe. The reason he wasn't killed was because there was a sign from the *insert name of energy/spiritual thing* not to, and that is why the tribe is persuaded to let him live and teach him their ways. It's not simply random. Also, the vulnerability added to main character through him being forced to be in a machine when he is an Avatar is also an interesting twist that keeps the movie interesting.

I also admire James Cameron's balls to actually kill off some of the main characters. That and the movie spends a good portion of the action sequences showing that the battle isn't glorious at all (though it has the audience rooting for the good guys the whole time), it shows the natives being slaughtered, the realness of the soldiers being killed. It's pretty intense.

The movie is and isn't predictable at the same time too. Less than halfway through you can kind of guess how it's going to end up. Two people on opposite sides of the fence fall in love, their respective parties go to war, side that isn't trying to destroy everything wins. Cut. You can tell what the resolution is going to be. But the thing is with this movie, it's leaves you wondering each time how it is you get there. You wonder how exactly a character is going to get out of a situation or how a conflict is going to turn out and where it's turning point is going to be.

And now that I've gone over everything but, I'll get to this last. The visuals. They are indeed absolutely stunning (especially in 3D). A lot of critics have said "meh, pretty, good for it" without giving much attention to rest of it though, which is why I got to this last. The visuals add to the well developed plot by actually making you feel like you're on an alien planet. These visuals aren't "pretty", they are amazing. But honestly, they could have been less great and you still would have had a great movie.

It's a movie that actually captures you in it's plot and doesn't have any major turning points without explanation like alot of big name movies these days. The acting is great, the visuals are great, the movie is awesome. What's the deal?

Bottom line, go see it. It's worth it.

p.s. - This is coming from the guy who hated Transformers 1 and 2, Crank 2, barely thought G.I. Joe was ok, and is generally a cynic movie-wise.

This post has been edited by Ace-014: 26 December 2009 - 11:48 PM

Official SpecOps FC

#6 User is offline   Niceguy74 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 December 2009 - 01:17 AM

i am with ya on that....i kinda had the same review on a gaming website i help with.

the camo i was referring to i KNOW wasnt made by SO...just looked like it could have been...inspired by.

yes, the plot or basis for the plot has been tossed around before, its still a great movie. (think Ferngully circa 1992)

i also hate both TF movies with a passion. long ago i grew up with the original toys and storyline...and this new crap makes me wanna put mike bay in a shallow grave on a dirt road. "OMG the world is in danger becuz the autobots are goofball retards from the robot ghetto"...seriously man...robots speaking slang i can get...but gold teeth and goofy eyes and ears? ya dont wanna get me started on those movies.

ps...

Na'vi girls are hawt! LOL

This post has been edited by Niceguy74: 27 December 2009 - 01:18 AM

#7 User is offline   Maj Tom 

• This is the funvee. Not the humdrumvee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Maj Tom

Posted 27 December 2009 - 04:26 AM

I liked it a bit. Best part, it wasn't "gimmicky" with the 3-d. About 5min in I had a flash back to "Ferngully".

#8 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 27 December 2009 - 11:07 AM

I thought it was fairly decent as far as a movie goes. The one flaw I noticed was in the logic that if they defeat the "aliens" then no more would return. In addition to the "Ferngully" similarities, the story also has a "Pochahontas" kind of storyline as well. Keeping with the idea of Native Americans fighting for their lands, I doubt that the loss of one battle would convince the humans not to return, esp. given the fact that the planet had such vast stores of the ore. As we have seen in our own American history, a defeat in battle does not stem the tide.

Oh, and the 3d? EXCELLENT.

This post has been edited by I.K.E.: 27 December 2009 - 11:08 AM

"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

#9 User is offline   Silent-7 

• Christian Paintballer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Silent-7

Posted 27 December 2009 - 02:14 PM

^^^ One thing that I can think of that might help make sense of that, is that the corporate guy (can't remember his name) looked as if he might be having somewhat of a change of heart as he watched the brutality unfold. That's open to interpretation obviously. But if that was the case, then the chances of humans returning isn't nearly as good. Plus, it would be a lot harder to take over the planet if they don't have a foothold anymore. I doubt the Na'vi would allow them to re-establish a base without a fight.

That's my defense for it I guess. But regardless, you make a valid point.
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   MaDuce 

• Grab your gun and bring the cat in.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MaDuce

Posted 27 December 2009 - 03:59 PM

Ok Ace? The Crank series is brilliant and awesome. But I'll win that argument later.

The story of the White Man "going native" is nothing new. But ever since Dancing with Wolves, the genre has been all about colonial guilt. I really hate movies that lecture me.

But the film's visuals were certainly ground-breaking...kinda like Shrek. EDIT: Which doesn't mean the movie is bad, I'm just saying it was overhyped. There's nothing groundbreaking here.

View PostVeritech Squad, on Dec 26 2009, 11:43 PM, said:

The camo's definitely something custom, knowing James Cameron. And definitely not any form of anything SO has to offer.

Word on the street is the PMC camo is AOR II

Note the guy on the far left: AOR II, current universal pattern, Multicam, Desert Brush, ACU-Delta and Mirage.

This post has been edited by ghostinthewood: 03 January 2010 - 01:29 AM

"Its very hard to grasp the idea at first but once you accept it, it makes A LOT of sense!" -- Minnesota Sn1p3r on conspiracy theories
"Everyone instantly jumps the conclusion that the government is out to get us." -- SWAT SAINT
"Bad Duce, bad." -- Ace-014
"Good man, Duce, good man." -- Tryon
"Also accepting female snipers." -- Lt.Col.Vortex

#11 User is offline   Veritech Squad 

• Come at me bro.
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 December 2009 - 10:36 PM

If the Humans came back, they'd have to...

...nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Wretched is the sound of my voice.

IN MY DROPSHIP ZIGZAGS STAY LIT

#12 User is offline   CertifiedPaintballer 

• Forum Newbie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:certified paintballer

Posted 27 December 2009 - 10:46 PM

I thought the 3-d was stupid. It only gave me a headache. I had to keep on taking off the glasses. Everything was in 3-d...like people standing around talking, and the leaves when they're walking through the forests...I only care about the explosions and stuff like that when it comes to 3-d. I really liked the actual movie, though.

#13 User is offline   Ace-014 

• Back From Life (FCSN)
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ace-014

Posted 27 December 2009 - 11:06 PM

View PostI.K.E., on Dec 27 2009, 02:07 PM, said:

I thought it was fairly decent as far as a movie goes. The one flaw I noticed was in the logic that if they defeat the "aliens" then no more would return. In addition to the "Ferngully" similarities, the story also has a "Pochahontas" kind of storyline as well. Keeping with the idea of Native Americans fighting for their lands, I doubt that the loss of one battle would convince the humans not to return, esp. given the fact that the planet had such vast stores of the ore. As we have seen in our own American history, a defeat in battle does not stem the tide.

Oh, and the 3d? EXCELLENT.

There has been talk of James Cameron making a sequel to Avatar. I thought of that too, though personally I think that a sequel would be a really, reeeally bad idea.

And Duce, let's please not bring Crank into this. I dispise both those movies (the second considerably much more than the first), I don't want to argue them, lol. :D
Official SpecOps FC

#14 User is offline   Thumper113 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ace0rz

Posted 27 December 2009 - 11:10 PM

in about a year il watch it on demand for free.. just like everything else.. lol

or go to a certain website i have book marked and stream it, watch it.. all in the comfort of my own home.
Special Ops Paintball Elite - Earned at Living Legends 3
Paintball Explosion
FTP inc.

#15 User is offline   Ethrealwolf 

• If we must die, we will die. but we will never yield.
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:HALOWOLF

Posted 27 December 2009 - 11:21 PM

View PostVeritech Squad, on Dec 27 2009, 10:36 PM, said:

If the Humans came back, they'd have to...

...nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Nuclear weapons are so bloody inefficient.

Rods from god baby, rods from god.
We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
We ran to the sounds of the thunder.
We danced among the lightning bolts,
and tore the world asunder.

http://onpaintball.blogspot.com/

Share this topic:

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic