• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Getting gear to Finals Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Carbide 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 September 2008 - 07:54 PM

I've never traveled this far to a paintball event... From Colorado to LCP, so I'm looking for some advice from you vetran players

How do we get our HPA tanks there?

Any other advice for moving gear, and flying with gear.

Thanks
Founding Member of the MOTO Coalition - MOTO Callsign: Hopper
MOTO: Pointing out what you already knew since 2006
Also Known as Griffen

#2 User is offline   secure 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:CSPPL Maverick

Posted 10 September 2008 - 08:26 PM

If you're flying, you may want to/have to take the regs off your tanks. Other than that, make sure they're empty before you fly. If you're uncomfortable taking them on a plane, fedex them to the hotel you're staying at.
Hope that helps!
I've been playing for longer than you've been alive.. and I still haven't been comitted!!
Adrenaline A-Team: more than a paintball team, it's FAMILY:)
I have a Vice.... and I named her Miami....;)
Then I named my SP-1 'Sean'... get it?

#3 User is offline   magnum 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 10 September 2008 - 08:30 PM

welli alwasy call before i depart, atleast two days before i fly to make sure nothing has changed all of a sudden, and i check my luggage, regulations state that the regulator must be removed, or be removable (not under pressure, not locked down) so that it can be "visually" inspected before the baggage can be loaded on teh plane, so to avoid any chanes of my stuff being delayed , i go ahead and remove my regs, and have the bottles upright so the inpsector dont have to dig thru my bag...and if the do, theres a letter head left to let you know your bag has been inspected....so nothing was opened, i also just zipped tied my bag together, you cna lock them, but you have to have an airline approved lock, so im "cheap" and nothing was miisng or damaged, put i pack pretty good...my redz bag was killed during the arrivale flight and even worse on the way back, so don't skimp and chekc out the best heavy duty bags before you buy...but other than that...i ahven't had an issue...except taking too much back out of D-town and got charged 50$ more...but all was fine..

#4 User is offline   Splatter 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:SPLATTER68

Posted 10 September 2008 - 09:29 PM

I haven't called Low Country Paintball yet, but when we went to the Oregon qualifier this year, I used UPS to send my team's HPA tanks and tools and stuff directly to the field at Splat Action Paintball. I called them first to make sure that was okay. I also pre-paid the return UPS shipping and took the label with me to send the stuff back. After the tourney on Sunday, I boxed everything back up (I needed to get a new cardboard box, since UPS rolled the first one around so much that it was not reusable), and John at Splat Action gave it to the UPS guy the next day to send back. If I send our gear to Georgia, I'm going to use a nice hard-sided Stanley case that I got at Home Depot for only 59 bucks.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
SpecOps Brigade #72314
Having an argument in online forums is like competing in the Special Olympics - even if you win, you're still retarded!

#5 User is offline   Buckfrenzy 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Buckfrenzy

Posted 10 September 2008 - 10:11 PM

Go to your local shop and have them unscrew your reg.

Put your tank on top of all your other luggage in your gear bag WITH the TSA regulations regarding air tanks either laying on top of it or taped to it. You can get the regulations from the TSA website. Buy TSA locks. They are basically a lock that tells the TSA guys "this guy knows what he is doing so leave his stuff alone and don't remove his air tanks." TSA employees have keys that open these locks if they need to look at your stuff, which is why you need the regulations in your bag. You can get TSA locks at Wal-mart. The last time I went to Home Depot they didn't have them.

Whenever you get to the event you can just put your tank back on your reg by hand. Every single national level tournament player I have ever met does this. I have done it all year since Huntington Beach, and I haven't had any problems.

Good luck at Finals! I didn't get to play SPPL this year, and I really miss it.
Proud member of Shogun PSP and Jolly Green.
JOLLY GREEN
BUY MY PUMP

#6 User is offline   Splatter 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:SPLATTER68

Posted 11 September 2008 - 05:05 PM

Each airline has its own rules - I heard that there is at least one airline that does not permit ANY compressed air tanks, even with the regulator detached, but I have yet to confirm that.

From Continental's website http://www.continental.com/web/en-US/conte...ge/sports.aspx:

Paintball Equipment

• Paintball guns are not permitted as carry-on baggage.
  • Continental does accept one bag containing equipment used in the paintball sport as checked baggage. A paintball gun may be checked in an unlocked soft or hard sided case.
  • If applicable, the second bag fee ($25) applies to paintball equipment.
  • Paintball equipment in addition to the baggage allowance will be assessed at the excess baggage charge applicable in for that market.
  • Paintball ammunition must be packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in a container that will protect the paint balls from breakage.
  • Compressed gas cylinders must be empty and have the regulator removed to allow for a visual inspection by a TSA Security Screener.
  • Unopened paintball air canisters in original plastic packaging are sold empty and customers do not need to demonstrate that the canisters are empty.
  • Continental is not liable for damage to paintball equipment.
  • Excess Valuation may not be purchased for paintball equipment.

Here is the TSA's page on compressed gas cylinders: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/but...ressed_gas.shtm

I'm thinking of taking my tanks instead of shipping them this time (I'm flying Continental). I figure since I'm a trained and authorized SCUBA tank visual inspector, I should be able to re-install my own paintball tank regulators.

I guess the most important thing is to check with the airline ahead of time, whether by phone or on their website.

This post has been edited by Splatter: 11 September 2008 - 05:09 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
SpecOps Brigade #72314
Having an argument in online forums is like competing in the Special Olympics - even if you win, you're still retarded!

#7 User is offline   Lament 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Lament

Posted 15 September 2008 - 08:38 PM

When I flew into Oklahoma last year for Finals, this is what I did.

First, I called the hotel where I knew that my team was staying to see if they could accept a package for me, and then I sent, through UPS, since they actually give you tracking and insurance for the cost, both of my air tanks, which were empty. I gave them plenty of time, and I packed them well. I also paid for shipping back from the hotel.

Then, before I flew out, I laid out everything that I was bringing with me, and I took pictures of it all. I listed everything, including upgrades and serial numbers, it's cost, and where it could, and most likely would, be purchased from if it needed to be replaced. I made copies of my list, as well as of the pictures. I kept a copy of the picture in my laptop that I took with me for watching movies with, as well as on a flash drive, as well as I made a copy on paper and put it in my gearbag.

I got TSA approved locks, which are locks that have an additional keyhole for a "skeleton" key that the TSA officials can use to open and not mess up your locks, to check out your bags. My bags were never searched, and I took two markers with me last year, as well as all of my other gear.

The reason that I sent the tanks was so I did not have to worry about removing the regs and the sealing of the tanks and regs when I put them back together. The reason that I documented everything in my gearbag is because I have heard the stories of other paintball people (Mapp Chimm when he was still on XSV had this happen to him) having their gearbags opened and things (Specifically expensive paintball markers) removed with no one knowing about it. When you go and say something, the airline can always counter you with a "Prove it" remark. By documenting that you have those things in there, and the locks, when the airline tries to say that, you have pictures and a paper, as well as being on other locations, that show you did indeed own the item(s) that you say are missing.

Shooting like there is no tomorrow. For all we know, there is no tomorrow.

Team ForestFire!!!

Team Forest Demons!!!

#8 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Krazy8

Posted 16 September 2008 - 11:26 AM

I travel for paintball....alot.

Everything but the gun, paint and tools can be flown in carry on if you want.
The gun, paint and tools can only fly as checked bagage.

I have personally taken tanks, hoppers and masks in my carry on luggage. If they are curious they will inspect it, no big deal.

TSA locks for your checked baggage should be considered a must. If they find locks they can not open they will cut the locks off or cut open the bag.
If they do inspect your gear there will be a flyer left in your bag informing you of the inspection.

I also include a copy of the TSA regulations from their website in with my gear...as well as a list of the contents in the bag. I keep a copy of the contents list in my carry on as well in case the bag is destroied or misplaced.

In the 6 plus years of flying with gear I have never run into a problem.

Follow the rules on the TSA web site and you will find flying with gear pretty simple.

#9 User is offline   Lomarandil 

• SPPL Junkie -- BlackLight Company
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Lomarandil

Posted 16 September 2008 - 01:56 PM

Yeah, I forgot about the tools last weekend.. although by my measurement afterwards they were only 7 inches, I guess the TSA ruler is different?

Anyhow. Ship tools. :(

Lo

#10 User is offline   Lament 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Lament

Posted 16 September 2008 - 03:40 PM

Hmmmm, I have never had any problems with my tools, but then again, I have not had a bunch of them, nor have I had particularly big tools either.

Shooting like there is no tomorrow. For all we know, there is no tomorrow.

Team ForestFire!!!

Team Forest Demons!!!

#11 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:10 PM

Tools can go in checked baggage right along with the gun.

Honestly...if you are flying you are already paying for the service...there is no need to ship anything.

#12 User is offline   Lomarandil 

• SPPL Junkie -- BlackLight Company
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Lomarandil

Posted 16 September 2008 - 06:57 PM

When I flew United, the first bag cost $15. So I shipped the marker and tank out beforehand, I'd rather pay $12 and support the USPS. Then I could fit everything into carryons. That was the logic.

Would I do it again? Probably not.
Lo

#13 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:03 AM

OIC!

Then tools would have been a big problem!

#14 User is offline   Aim for the trash 

• Not my name?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:REMOVED AS INAPPROPRIATE

Posted 27 September 2008 - 11:31 AM

Well, I wouldn't be surprised if Billy at LCP would be willing to lend out some 47/3000s, but don't take my word for it.
You have failed as a paintballer.
Special Ops Feedback M. Carter Brown feedback
Dirty quotes get you warned. Dang it Mike.

#15 User is offline   STS1 

• Dad
  • Pip

Posted 01 October 2008 - 10:13 AM

For those of you shipping equipment to LCP for the finals please help us by making arrangements for return shipping. Not that we don't want to help you guys, but with the shear number of people shipping to us it could be a nightmare for us. If there is any way we can help email us at locopaintball@yahoo.com or call us at 912-663-2314 ........Bill
ITS MY ISLAND

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users