Special Ops Paintball: propane over CO2? - Special Ops Paintball

Jump to content


  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

propane over CO2? check this out and tell me if you find this to be true or not... Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   rayed 

  • Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 36
  • Joined: 27-March 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:irmo sc
  • Brigade Name:Ray Thomas

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:10 AM

i pulled this off of a paintball review site,"the new propane paintball guns blows the older guns away! They are rumored to get over 25,000 shots from one $3 bottle of propane. Not to mention, propane is much cheaper than co2 and is as consistent as Nitrogen or compressed air. "

25000 SHOTS!?!?!?!?!?!? really???
if you're using propane or ever have. then tell me about it! if the statement above is true, then screw CO2.

thanks
0

#2 User is offline   Puzuma 

  • That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Posts: 14,380
  • Joined: 22-September 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London ON, Canada
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:21 AM

Yes it is true. HOWEVER.....

The Tippmann C3 doesn't seem to be in production any longer. You may be able to find one on E-bay but it's no longer listed on the Tippmann site.

The C3 is a PUMP marker and uses (used) a spark plug to ignite the propane and fire the ball. Common "problems": The marker would get hot when rapid fired, some say hot enough to actually melt paintballs or too hot to hold. Cleaning was complicated. No upgrades. I'm sure others can recall other issues with it but those stick out most in my mind.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.
0

#3 User is offline   Maj Tom 

  • This is the funvee. Not the humdrumvee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Posts: 5,986
  • Joined: 02-September 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Davisburg, Michigan
  • Brigade Name:Maj Tom

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:25 AM

^That's just about it. Except too hot to hold is an overstatement, during rapid firing the surface temp of mine never got over 97 degrees.

And remember it uses combustion not tank pressure to propel the ball.
0

#4 User is offline   rayed 

  • Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 36
  • Joined: 27-March 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:irmo sc
  • Brigade Name:Ray Thomas

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:29 AM

so i take it that you can't use propane on a CO2 marker because there is no spark plug?
0

#5 Guest_Cesar_*

  • Group: Guests

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:31 AM

View Postrayed, on Apr 14 2009, 10:29 AM, said:

so i take it that you can't use propane on a CO2 marker because there is no spark plug?


correct, the only marker that will run off propane is the Tippmann C-3.....
0

#6 User is offline   Maj Tom 

  • This is the funvee. Not the humdrumvee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Posts: 5,986
  • Joined: 02-September 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Davisburg, Michigan
  • Brigade Name:Maj Tom

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:31 AM

View Postrayed, on Apr 14 2009, 10:29 AM, said:

so i take it that you can't use propane on a CO2 marker because there is no spark plug?

Correct

No spark plug
No combustion regulation
No safety vents
No pressure regulator
No proper seals
0

#7 User is offline   rayed 

  • Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 36
  • Joined: 27-March 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:irmo sc
  • Brigade Name:Ray Thomas

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:41 AM

oh ok, i was thinking it worked as compressed air but nevermind =( i thought i just struck gold..... damn =/
haha
0

#8 User is offline   Stonewall 

  • #5112
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 200
  • Joined: 20-June 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lexington NC
  • Brigade Name:Stonewal1

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:47 AM

View PostPuzuma, on Apr 14 2009, 07:21 AM, said:

Yes it is true. HOWEVER.....

The Tippmann C3 doesn't seem to be in production any longer. You may be able to find one on E-bay but it's no longer listed on the Tippmann site.

The C3 is a PUMP marker and uses (used) a spark plug to ignite the propane and fire the ball. Common "problems": The marker would get hot when rapid fired, some say hot enough to actually melt paintballs or too hot to hold. Cleaning was complicated. No upgrades. I'm sure others can recall other issues with it but those stick out most in my mind.

Out of production? That's too bad, I really thought that Tippmann had something with that. The C-3 wasn't pretty but multiple cases of paint on one tank? I wish I had the money when they came out to have gotten one. With some modification it could have been a lot better.

~Stone
"My men may fail to take a position, but driven from one?, NEVER!!!!"
~Lt. General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson Confederate General~
0

#9 User is offline   slowerpig81 

  • This man is a Beast with that Phantom. -thisissparta
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,528
  • Joined: 23-November 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:St. Louis, MO
  • Brigade Name:slowerpig81

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:09 PM

I bet you could put propane into a really low operating pressure marker, like a nova, and it might work, but then again I don't think anyone's ever tried that, I sure wouldn't.
0

#10 User is offline   Maj Tom 

  • This is the funvee. Not the humdrumvee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Posts: 5,986
  • Joined: 02-September 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Davisburg, Michigan
  • Brigade Name:Maj Tom

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:32 PM

View Postslowerpig81, on Apr 14 2009, 09:09 PM, said:

I bet you could put propane into a really low operating pressure marker, like a nova, and it might work, but then again I don't think anyone's ever tried that, I sure wouldn't.

You could but your efficiency would suck since propane is generally only ~300 psi.

But if you re designed it to combust the propane it would be cool

This post has been edited by Maj Tom: 14 April 2009 - 06:34 PM

0

#11 User is offline   slowerpig81 

  • This man is a Beast with that Phantom. -thisissparta
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,528
  • Joined: 23-November 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:St. Louis, MO
  • Brigade Name:slowerpig81

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:53 PM

Yeah, I've just always seen people say that propane does not have enough pressure to shoot guns but they seem to only know about guns the need high pressure like blowbacks. I've heard that the Nova needs only 80 PSI.
0

#12 User is offline   Dunceb4ll 

  • Let's go play with Dynamite!!!
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 312
  • Joined: 10-November 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Plainview Texas
  • Brigade Name:Dunceball

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:59 PM

True C-3 can do it. BUT Coleman, the manufacturer of the tanks the C-3 uses, Says the propane tanks are not suited for use in the sport because of the violence a paintball gun and tank goes through in a game. I believe Coleman issued a warning specifically against the use of its tanks on the C-3. Then Tippmann completely stopped manufacturing them. It is also hard to find a public field that will let you use a C-3 because of insurance issues.

So stick with CO2 for now man. I have a feeling propane will come back when Tippmann can find someone to manufacture propane tanks for them that are designed for the rages of paintball.

If your bored however you can be like me and make designs that would run off of propane and try to build it.

By the way if anyone knows how to get a C-3 firing again I would be glad to send mine to you for repairs, I'm stumped on it.

This post has been edited by Dunceb4ll: 14 April 2009 - 08:08 PM

THE END IS COMING!!!! AND IT WILL BE UNTIL IT GETS HERE!!!!!!
CAUTION IN THE INTEREST OF SAFETY IT IS ADVISABLE TO KEEP DUNCEB4LL AWAY FROM FIRE AND FLAMES.
Feedback
0

#13 User is offline   MedicOni 

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 148
  • Joined: 10-March 09
  • Location:ABQ, NM

Posted 14 April 2009 - 08:14 PM

I've never had a field tell me I can't use my C3... and it's really fun to fire in night games :(
0

#14 Guest_Cesar_*

  • Group: Guests

Posted 15 April 2009 - 05:45 AM

View PostDunceb4ll, on Apr 14 2009, 10:59 PM, said:

True C-3 can do it. BUT Coleman, the manufacturer of the tanks the C-3 uses, Says the propane tanks are not suited for use in the sport because of the violence a paintball gun and tank goes through in a game. I believe Coleman issued a warning specifically against the use of its tanks on the C-3. Then Tippmann completely stopped manufacturing them. It is also hard to find a public field that will let you use a C-3 because of insurance issues.

So stick with CO2 for now man. I have a feeling propane will come back when Tippmann can find someone to manufacture propane tanks for them that are designed for the rages of paintball.

If your bored however you can be like me and make designs that would run off of propane and try to build it.

By the way if anyone knows how to get a C-3 firing again I would be glad to send mine to you for repairs, I'm stumped on it.

i really dont see why you couldnt just use a CO2 tank with a new Reg....

This post has been edited by Cesar: 15 April 2009 - 05:46 AM

0

#15 User is offline   TyTy 

  • Formerly known as Ty29...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,418
  • Joined: 02-August 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Michigan
  • Brigade Name:Cpt.Ringo

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:11 AM

How easy are the C-3's on paint?? Anyone here know?
-Ty
0

Share this topic:


  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users