• You cannot reply to this topic

Good Starting Pump Gun Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   pennywise229 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:pennywise229

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:59 PM

Hey, i'm looking to start playing pump and was wondering if anyone could help me choose a good and inexpensive pump gun to start out with.

#2 User is offline   Dib 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Dib

Posted 14 April 2009 - 10:11 PM

I personally like phantoms, but they are $200-$250. You might find an autococker for cheap and get a pump kit for it. This cost my brother around $150-$200 completed and he loves his "sniper". Depending on you budget you may check the for sale section on MCB, Itimidators Owners Group, Custom Cockers, or here (amoung other forums) to find a used pump for cheap. I've seen people get phantoms in good condition for $115 on forums before. I even saw one go for $90, but it needed some love. Welcome to pump! I hope you find it as satisfying as I do. :(
If he rips my arms off, I'll kick him to death.
If he rips my legs off, I'll bite him to death.
If he rips my head off, I'll stare him to death.
And if he gouges my eyes out, I'll curse him from beyond the grave.

#3 User is offline   Piller 

• Piller
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Piller

Posted 14 April 2009 - 10:39 PM

Are you looking to play open class (hopper + bulk air tank) or Stock Class (10-15 round tube and/or 12 gram)?

Phantoms are a very popular choice. They are well built by a highly regarded company. They're efficient, lightweight, and hold their value extremely well. They are capable of being easily changed from using 12grams, a bulk tank, tube fed, and direct fed. ACI Mavericks offer a cheaper alternative to Phantoms. SL-68s from Tippmann can also be found used and are a solid option.

However, the lightweight of Phantoms bothers a fair amount of people. And as far as the pump market goes they are far from rare. Sheridan based markers like the PGP, PMI-I, and Piranha LB or SB are another option. They are made out of brass and you can usually find some on eBay. "Snipers" or Pumped Autocockers are another option.
Automaggot #123 - Pump User #152 - ICE Epic Owner
"Marketing hype in paintball?! The nerve of some people. After all, we paintballers would never throw our hard earned cash into the magic box of marketing hype."

#4 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 14 April 2009 - 10:46 PM

Listen to Piller. He knows.

Oh, and I have a PGP. I love it.
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

#5 User is offline   pennywise229 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:20 PM

well open class is more my style but I'm all for stock class. My budget is 150...used or new. I've played mostly renegade ball for 3 years now but my group i all semi-auto. I have little to no knowledge or experience with pumps, so thats why i raised this question. Thanks for the tips so far.

#6 User is offline   Tribs 

• Real men use 12 grams
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2009 - 03:22 AM

You could get a maverick for $83, then spend the rest on gear.

#7 User is offline   Tora 

• Yes, that is Barney. My Barney. No you can't have him.
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2009 - 04:12 AM

You could easily find a pump cocker for $150 and it will feel more like a gun you are used to instead of a big transition.
FEEDBACK

My momma raised me the be SHAMELESS!

#8 User is offline   pennywise229 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 15 April 2009 - 10:24 AM

I was thinking about the maverick but a used cocker looks pretty good right now...thanks for all the advice.

#9 User is offline   Florentine 

• Group: Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2009 - 05:39 AM

I was going to suggest a sniper, or a pump cocker. They are very nice guns, shoot great, feel great, look great, ect ect. I've never had a problem with my sniper, and I've had it for an entire year now.
Hey baby, wanna come over to myspace so i can twitter your yahoo till I google all over your facebook?
Feedback

Becc: "I'm not really a vegetarian, I eat some forms of sausage."

#10 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:38 AM

snipers (cockers with pump kits) are super cheap nowadays. And wicked easy to maintain. You have removed the most troublesome part to a cocker, the pneumatics, and instead slapped on a trusty pump kit that shall never fail you, unless you try to assemble it drunk and mess up or something...don't work on markers while drunk. :P Anyways, yeah, very easy to maintain, are easy to get used to, cause they feel just like a cocker.

Now let the Brass whore in me steer you aside to what the newbs and semis users call vintage stuff (real technical term there i swear). But just cause they are old doesn;t mean they can't keep up in the race or win it. :eck: Research some old PMI pumps like the PMI II SB or LB, or PMI I. They are great pumps and can be had cheap. The SB and LB can easily be had for under $80 with need of a little TLC, or a bit over $100 for running smooth. SB are short 8" barrels, LBs are 12 i think. They are direct hopper fed and take back bottle tanks, so you can easily shoulder the tank as a stock. PMI I's were stock class, not sure if you want to go that route yet.

edit: show off pictar
Posted Image
the SB is the marker under the Tippy SL 68, 2nd from the bottom, above the Super Stocker

This post has been edited by Legato: 16 April 2009 - 07:40 AM

"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#11 User is offline   Wrzesinski 

• Gives his $.02
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Wrzesinski

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:47 AM

Hell yea for the Sl68 II, cheap[under $130, reliable [all steel construction and simple build...its a tipmann], and accurate as hell[no joke]!!!!
The signature in this location has been removed due to FORUM RULES VIOLATIONS. Please check this link : FORUM SIGNATURE RULES AND REGS and feel free to repost your signature according to the guidelines set by this forum.
Being too awesome :P

Who has the best girlfriend in the whole wide world? ME!

#12 User is offline   pennywise229 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:00 AM

Yea the SL68 II looks like my cup of tea. The Maverick looks awesome too. I'm a weekend rec baller and never play too serious. I'm into it for the fun of it but I would like to play bg games and scenario games. Thanks for the advice so far.

#13 User is offline   IrishMack 

• Better than You
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 July 2009 - 01:53 PM

The SL-68II is the way that I would go you can get a good one of ebay for well under a $100. they are well built, simple to fix, and extremely accurate. I've had mine for about 6 years and I had one o-ring blow on it, but that's it, I make sure to lubricate it on a regular basis. This was after it had been used at a local summer camp for about 5 years, with a bunch of newbies and it still works fine.
"I could be your third wheel."
"You know that's not a good thing right?"
"Of course it is, it adds more grip, greater stability"

"Gives it color he says, it'll look good he says...Filthy liar" (in regards to Puzuma)

#14 User is offline   TheEnd 

• I am the who when you call "Who's there?"
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:TheFear07

Posted 01 July 2009 - 07:19 PM

Sl68II's are great. I have one, and it is by far my most reliable marker. Watch ebay, I got a perfectly working one for 35 bucks cuz it was a bulk sale. Also as others have said before me, a maverick is also a good choice.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realized God doesn’t work that way, so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness.- Emo Philips
I don't drink these days. I'm allergic to alcohol and narcotics. I break out in handcuffs. Robert Downey Junior
Now and then I announce "I know you're listening to empty rooms". If I'm wrong then no one knows, and if I'm right, Maybe I just freaked the hell out of some secret organization.

#15 User is offline   dextonik 

• Grrrrrrr, ARRRG
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:dex.

Posted 06 July 2009 - 12:20 PM

if you really want a cheap pump go to wal-mart and they have the bladeII or the talon for under 40 bucks lol J/K I own a sheri pgp and they arn't bad markers
If you can't hack it, then I suggest you pack it!
I'm on it like white on rice, with a glass of milk in a snow storm.
Doesn't matter what gun you have, as long as you can hit what you're looking at.
Procrastinators of the world unite...TOMORROW

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users