• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Upgrading from 98c Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Fish Monger 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:54 PM

I started out paintball about 7-8 years ago and got a 98c which I have liked but I've been wanting to upgrade to something a better. I'm moving back east to North Carolina to go to college at NCSU and I saw that they have a paintball club there. It looks like they do speedball and woodsball but more so speedball. I like woodsball better by far but I'd like a marker that can still perform pretty well still in case I ever did want to do both. For my budget on the marker I want to keep it within $400 but if anyone can think of some markers they know they they think highly of that are a 100-200 outside of that share anyway because I want to buy something good and not be kicking myself that I didn't spend a little more.
Thanks for any help

#2 User is offline   Eagle Eye 

• I am Become Death, Squeegier of Worlds.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:BattleSpam

Posted 16 June 2011 - 04:18 PM

Dangerous Power G3 Spec-R or G4, but are air hogs so problematic for longer woodsball games. Invert Mini (or the newer version, Empire Axe) are at home with both styles of play. Proto Rail (PMR) is another good choice. I'd recommend the ultralite frame for it. This is all for new markers. If you go for a used marker, I HIGHLY recommend a used EGO or ETEK. Rock solid markers, I've used my Ego for just about any kind of paintball short of stock class. Also, they are more air efficient, meaning you'll still be shooting at the end of a long woodsball game.
Posted Image
Posted Image
The Paintball Sniper has already done the first step: convince you they don't exist.
Allied Superior Meritorious Service Medal recipient: D-Day 2008
"There is no "fixing" a Tippmann ... if it didn't work, there is only one reason .... you tried to clean it. Any problem a Tippmann has can be easily fixed by adding more dirt, preferably to the internals, followed by 3 drops of oil." -- Acara

#3 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mime

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:38 PM

in the NEW 400$ ish range your going to have the two big contenders:

Etek 3 and Empire AXE
you will also be able to find Invert Mini's
Dangerous Power G4's
Proto Reflex Rail
WGP Autococker SR's

are all in the area also,

For used equipment there is going to be LOTS... I mean... LOTS.
I have a Tac One up on the BST (shameless plug?) with a ULT any automag in combination with a double trigger and a Solid hopper can play shot for shot with any E-gun on the speedball court. plus they are known to be the king of woodsball markers for a reason. silly silent.

(actually why am I selling this again?... O right to change to pump...actually...maybe....possibly.. yea i'll give it 1 week if not its mine for ever)

you can find PLENTY of used High end markers (like i'm talking 1200$ markers in 2007 and 2008) for 400$
the list goes on.

This post has been edited by Eskimo: 16 June 2011 - 07:38 PM

#4 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:43 PM

I'll +1 for Automags in general. Can get the ULT trigger for a trigger approaching electronic light, but with no electronics on board - just reliability. Particularly with a Level 10 bolt. RT trigger bounces with higher input pressure, allowing for full auto (up to 34.5 bps shown on video, YouTube it... though you won't need nearly that much).

Tac One will be closer to a woodsball ("milsim") look than an Automag ULE or something.

#5 User is offline   Fish Monger 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:20 PM

Hey thanks for the suggestions. Now Im really thinking about the proto reflex rail it looks like a solid marker and isnt too much more than I wanted to spend. But if anyone else has suggestions keep em coming because I probably wont be buying anything for another 2 months.

This post has been edited by Fish Monger: 17 June 2011 - 10:27 PM

#6 User is offline   chinstrap 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:kl0wn

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:27 AM

View PostFish Monger, on 18 June 2011 - 01:20 AM, said:

Hey thanks for the suggestions. Now Im really thinking about the proto reflex rail it looks like a solid marker and isnt too much more than I wanted to spend. But if anyone else has suggestions keep em coming because I probably wont be buying anything for another 2 months.

To further flesh out what some of the posts above me have touched on, I actually own both an AGD Tac One and a 2006 Ego that I bought and fixed up for roughly under $300 a couple of years ago.

The Ego is my backup for when my Tac One is on the fritz. Currently, my Tac One has an air leak that I haven't been able to pinpoint and I just don't have the time or desire to go messing with stuff these days. It's probably the Level 10 bolt, but I'm not 100% on it.

My point is that Egos, (and by extension Eteks, because they're older Egos with LED lights instead of LCD screens and different milling) are probably the most lazy player-friendly markers out there, they perform at the top of the line and are at the top end of the efficiency range. The only downside is that they can be loud, if you're looking for a quiet marker (not much more than your 98).

If I were you, I'd get an Etek 3 LT instead of the Reflex Rail. They'll both shoot pretty much at the same speed, but the Rail will require more maintenance and likely be a little less efficient.
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users