• You cannot reply to this topic

Ion for woodsball? help plz

#1 User is offline   DeAdLy RuSsIaN 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:SILENTDEATHAWAITS

Posted 04 August 2008 - 12:03 PM

Hey guys. I am pretty new to Ions and pretty much new to the world of electros in general, so if someone has had expirience with them, i would really apreciate your help. I am really getting into woodsball and was looking into an Ion as a quiter and lighter alternative to the loud and heavy A-5. i See Ions being used for speedball all the time, but i was wondering how they would hold out in woodsball. Also, should i get one stock, or are there any ups that i need to keep in mind if i want to use it for a "sniper" position in woodsball? If you could also include a price for a stock Ion, as well as any ups relative to playing "sniper" in woodsball, i will be very greatful. Thanks for the help ahead of time.

#2 User is offline   druid 

• Celtic Warrior - Mo Anam Cara
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:druidsdecendant

Posted 04 August 2008 - 11:56 PM

they will hold up great so long as you don't use it as a hammer or machete.
Warped A5; M98; 68 Magnum w/ AGD 6-Pack, Automaggot #92 Custom Modder #5
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
I got my OWN smiley...

#3 User is offline   Kodiak 

• Captain DHP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Kodiak

Posted 05 August 2008 - 06:51 PM

View Postdruid, on Aug 5 2008, 12:56 AM, said:

they will hold up great so long as you don't use it as a hammer or machete.

Yea, thats pretty much it! Change out the stock feed neck for a locking one. Other mods are preference.

#4 User is offline   C9H13NO3 

• Miramar Mafia
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:C9H13NO3

Posted 05 August 2008 - 07:14 PM

Ions are decent electros right out of the box for the price. They seem pretty solid to me. It will shoot 15bps just fine stock...I don't know why everyone insists you have to upgrade it. I would get a used Ion. They are very cheap since they are so plentiful. I recommend you find one with BOB (bolt out back) for ease of maintenance. You'll run across a lot of smartparts bashers...just ignore them. One of my teammates shoots an Ion and I've never seen it go down.

As far as sniping...just use a regular setup. HPA is better than CO2, and I would recommend a halo or reloader hopper. They are pretty reliable force feeders that will keep up with the marker. Paintball is pretty fast paced, and it's not realistic to cut down on your ammo or anything else for "sniping". You can get concealed, but as soon as you fire, they will know where you are. That's when you want to be able to fire fight with them effectively. Just keep away from bright colors, and that should help you stay hidden.

Good luck, and remember to play for the love of the game!

#5 User is offline   rodney 

• Welcome to the Flying Circus
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:vane

Posted 07 August 2008 - 12:31 PM

Keep in mind I'm not a big fan of SP. I dont like the things that the company has done buisness-wise in an attempt to monopolize the industry. I also think that they were wrong to market the ion as they did... it was poorly designed for an entry level marker. That being said I'm actually impressed by their new entry level markers the Vibe and the SP1. I even bought one myself.

Honestly, the SP1 and the Vibe are better constructed than the Ion... (the banjo bolts were made inhouse this time as opposed to buying them and trying to mod the design) Have a reg that blows off liquid co2 (it actually works. I tried to get CO2 into the valve to see the effects... direct bottle at 90 degrees down. The blow off works!). And only has 3 parts to remove for replacing o-rings and lubing . The board is easy to figure out what mode it's in (only has 3) and is limited to 11 bps. Also it survived the noobie torture test for 4 months so far. (Handing it out to new kids to play with and seeing if they can break it.)

Pros:

An electro-pneumatic spool valve marker for less than $150.
Simple hardy design.
Can work directly off of a CO2 bottle.
Simple board. Red light means single fire... slow flashing means 3round burst...fast flashing means full auto.
Capped at 11bps. Meaning it works pretty well with any type of loader... even non-electronic.
LOCKING FEEDNECK STANDARD ON A LOW END SP GUN!
Consistant velocity with CO2 and HPA.

Cons:

Holding the barrel down causes the 9volt in the frame to push on the trigger and cause sticking on inital shot.
Asthetically switching out the tac-barrel for another dosnt work so much.
Cannot get the D@*& built-in flashlight holder open.
Somewhat of a gas hog (comperable to the ion).
Needs a better manual. Not enough information.

#6 User is offline   Kodiak 

• Captain DHP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Kodiak

Posted 07 August 2008 - 10:01 PM

The Ion has eyes, the Vibe and SP-1 don't. For higher rates of fire that can be important. If your going to buy an Ion get the Ion XE. For real good info on the Ion go to www.ionownersgroup.com

#7 User is offline   ravenleader 

• Kicking butt... one game at a time
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mad Co

Posted 15 August 2008 - 11:25 AM

for me, i have used an A5, 98c and an Ion. The 98c is a durable gun, it has taken a heavy beating and still functions no problem.

the A5 is a little more tempermental, it will take a beating only so far. i dropped my a5 several times and fell on it once. after minor repairs, it works better than ever.

the ion is by far my favorite of the three. it is light, accurate and reliable. It is also reasonable durable, I took a spill at MMG 08 and it still worked flawlessly.

I would get the ion for woodsball. I packs a decent amount of firepower and is really lightweight even with a hopper and tank. It has a little bit more kick to it than the a5 and 98c, but it is hardly noticeable after you play awhile.

#8 User is offline   Tora 

• Yes, that is Barney. My Barney. No you can't have him.
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 August 2008 - 11:43 AM

an ion is not really lighter than an a-5.
once you put the hopper on it it becomes almost just as heavy.
you also need hpa.
the only necessary upgrade is the feedneck. (maybe barrel)
FEEDBACK

My momma raised me the be SHAMELESS!

#9 User is offline   DeAdLy RuSsIaN 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:SILENTDEATHAWAITS

Posted 16 August 2008 - 02:02 PM

thanks for your help guys! God bless.

#10 User is offline   paintballer.111 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 16 August 2008 - 06:54 PM

I'm not a big fan of the ion.The Smart parts vibe or proto slg should be fine.

#11 User is offline   Midnight Phenom 

• The Midnight Phenom
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:midnight phenom

Posted 20 August 2008 - 09:03 AM

i use my ion in the woods and its never gone down...so if your gonna get an ion i reccomend buyin a used one because you can usually get a used one with ups for the same or cheaper then retail price for a stock one...

-Phenom

#12 User is offline   mass destruction 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 August 2008 - 09:10 AM

my friend just bought an ion and loves it. They arent my preference but theyre decent guns overall and for the price they are very good. my friend bought an ion with virtue board for 80 bucks. the only thing i dont like about it is that i have big hands and the ion (along with most speedball markers) are too small for me to hold right and i usually hate the way they feel, but thats just me.
(quote-Iron Eagle) This is why my preferred way of death is strapping a bomb to myself, walking into PETA HQ and detonating it.
(Quote-weltmaker2000) I don't call my guns pumps. I refer to them as euthanizers of the stupid.

#13 User is offline   dagger boy 98c 

• Expect the unexpected
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:dagger boy 98c

Posted 20 August 2008 - 11:23 AM

As everyone else has stated, deffinately go with a used ion. Preferably from a local shop or friend. Ebay isnt always the most trustworthy site to put money down on an electro that works. I bought my Ion from a friend, who was selling it cheap. He just bought a preupgraded ion, and had his stock ion sitting around after only a few games. I took it off his hands for $120, just cause i could. But now it's my primary marker, and i love the ergonomics of it. It has a great feel to it and it performs well in both speedball and woodsball for a marker of that price.

#14 User is offline   the eggman 

• ninjadodjy is always watching you...
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:bake-bake

Posted 06 September 2008 - 01:42 PM

i say get a tactical camo body at action village, 16" barrel, and longbow stock, or if you could afford it, the Q-bow or longbow kit. even tho i dont use mine for woodsball, those are prolly the best upgrades. oh, and a cp rake trigger, i don't really like the stock triggers on ions cuz they seem like they dont bounce back enough, the just sorta dangle there, and a new feedneck. those are basically all the ups you need.

#15 User is offline   iKill 

• I Am, That I Am.
  • Pip

Posted 14 September 2008 - 10:34 AM

Well let me tell you, I have owned 3 98's 2 A5's and most recently an x7. I love my x7, squishy paddles, hammerhead, egrip and car stock. I've gotten many kills with it, my only complaints are that it was somewhat heavy, I'm not a wuss but it seemed that it was heavy enough that it hindered quick movements. It was loud, it had a really loud report but only owning tippmanns and a spyder before the report was really a complaint until I went on to other guns. And lastly it was big, i was just a big gun, which some people like but personaly i think you should feel like your gun is an extension of your self, not like your carrying this big thing.

Well, I traded it for a blackcell ion, has a cp reg and trigger, dye ul, clamping feedneck, with blackcell body and longbow stock, the uy threw in a halo b. I will never own a tippmann again, the Ion is faster and 10x more accurate than my x7, the UL blows my $200 Hammerhead out of the water. I also like how tight and compact it is, but being a big guy, i dont feel like im holding a BB gun either. In closing, I highly recommend a blackcell ion, its just a better gun.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users