• You cannot reply to this topic

Installing new tank reg? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   athensplayer 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 October 2009 - 07:54 AM

Hey folks,

Just picked up a new to me Nitro Duck tank that needs a new reg. Is that a job that I can do at home and save a few $ on? It looks like I can pick up a new reg for $30-40, but don't know what the best process for removing the old and putting on the new reg would be?

Does anyone have experience with this? Is it worth having the shop do it, or sending it of to Ninja...these options I would guess are a little more costly, making things difficult for a student on a budget.

Thanks!

This post has been edited by athensplayer: 06 October 2009 - 07:54 AM

#2 Guest_Cesar_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 06 October 2009 - 09:06 AM

well honestly its not really rocket surgery......

basically fully degas the tank....FULLY

remove old reg

install new reg

DUN

now it is probably best to bring it to a pro-shop with a certified air smith and ask them to do it for you(it should only cost a few bucks)...because if you somehow manage to do it wrong....someones gonna get hurt(..or worse).

This post has been edited by Cesar: 06 October 2009 - 09:06 AM

#3 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Krazy8

Posted 06 October 2009 - 09:29 AM

View Postathensplayer, on Oct 6 2009, 07:54 AM, said:

Hey folks,

Just picked up a new to me Nitro Duck tank that needs a new reg. Is that a job that I can do at home and save a few $ on? It looks like I can pick up a new reg for $30-40, but don't know what the best process for removing the old and putting on the new reg would be?

Does anyone have experience with this? Is it worth having the shop do it, or sending it of to Ninja...these options I would guess are a little more costly, making things difficult for a student on a budget.

Thanks!

I have tons of experience with this.

View PostCesar, on Oct 6 2009, 09:06 AM, said:

well honestly its not really rocket surgery......

basically fully degas the tank....FULLY

remove old reg

install new reg

DUN

now it is probably best to bring it to a pro-shop with a certified air smith and ask them to do it for you(it should only cost a few bucks)...because if you somehow manage to do it wrong....someones gonna get hurt(..or worse).

While you are correct on taking it to a proshop, as well as remove...replace...there is more to it.

The whole thing can be a bit more challenging if you are not prepaired for the job with previous knowledge.

Tank regs are installed at contruction with a comercial grade thread locker that can be a real bummer to try and fight.

If you are go to do the job your self You will need a few key tools.

A good bench vise that is large enough for the tank.
A rubber mat....typically a paintball tech mat works great. Some houshold placemats will work as well but you really need the protection of a good thick rubber for the tank itself.
Tools to remove the guages and burst disks.
A good high quality strap wrench.
Heat gun.
Thread locking material of some kind.

To get off the old reg you will need to soften the thread locker on the reg threads. The heat gun is used for this.....but if you have never done this before....don't attempt it!
It is far to easy to over heat the neck of the bottle an ruin the tank....I have done this myself....it makes you want to cry.

Then it is a simple proceedure to place the tank in the vise....and use the strap wrench to remove the old reg.

Make sure the tank threads are clean and reassemble with new reg.
If you plan on air travel you should be sure to research your thread locker...you want to be sure you can take the thing apart for air travel!

Quite honestly...I would say use the services of Ninja. They know what they are doing....and they have the tools.
The job will take them just a few minutes and the turn around for you to get your tank back should be very quick.

Not to mention....if they ruin your tank...you get a new one! If you ruin your tank...your student budget just took a knife to the ribs.

Use a pro.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users