Special Ops Paintball: The Beat All Advice about Sniper Equipment - Special Ops Paintball

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Beat All Advice about Sniper Equipment Rate Topic: ***** 3 Votes

#1 Guest_Headshotjester_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 23 September 2005 - 10:41 AM

As most experienced snipers know, the gun doesn't make the sniper, but the mindset as Repins says. Although accuracy and quietness are great key factors of a sniper's paintgun it will not make the sniper. But also remember the gun is only as good as the person holding it. I know even though I tell you this you are still going to be asking the this forum what the perfect setup is. The perfect setup for each sniper is whatever gun suits them best. Preferably one that they like. So here are a few setups in my opinion that are cheap and efficient gving you the most bang for your buck.

For the 98custom/Model98 you don't have as many cool looking mods as the A-5 which can help you since you don't get distracted by them and waste your money. IMHO (In My Humble Opinion) this would be the most efficent setup for the Model 98 Custom

Stock of your choice for stability-Preferably Collapsible or Folding due to inexpensiveness yet sturdy.

Quiet and accurate barrel- The JJ Ceramic are very very quiet and accurate and only 35 bucks. The Stiffi is a little quieter and a little more accurate than the JJ, but you pay 50-65 dollars more for it. By far the most accurate barrels would be kits or barrels with back pieces to match barrel bore to paint bore perfectly which is your most important factor of accuracy. With great accuracy comes great cost... The JJ Edge Kit is an awesome barrel kit for only $80. It comes with 3 fronts and 5 backs. I would buy one of the two depending on your money issue.

Red Dot Sight- Any red dot sight will do as long as it has a brightness adjuster. Also you don't want a zoom scope due to the fact that your shots won't go much farther than your line of vision in the woods. $20-$40

An Offset or Raised sight rail due to the fact that while wearing your mask you can't get your face low enough to use your red dot sight. $30-$50

Rocket Cock II- This covers your bolt in which you cock the marker with and greatly decreases mechanical noise and the risk of dirt getting in the marker's chamber. Plus it's only $20.

Remote Line- A remote line will free up your gun of that heavy burden of a huge tank.

For the A-5 all the same parts are necissary except the Rocket Cock II because sadly they don't make them for the A-5... But the A-5 does have the A5A-2 grip which is a horizontal comfortable grip in place of that unnatural vertical grip. This helps with the ergonomics or the quickness you naturally draw a bead on your target. You can always custom make one for your 98 though by searching for "98 sniper" under Sniper Mods.

Now with the Blackcell and the Ion, a quieter and higher performing marker can be used for cheap. The Ion will most likely be more expensive than the Tippmann setup because it requires compressed air or anti-siphoned C02 as well as a fast feeding hopper. Whether you choose the Blackcell Longbow Magwell and clips, a force feeding hopper like a Halo, or a Q-loader, it will be in the ballpark of $100 for your hopper setup. Now you have two choices, either one being perfectly fine. you can leave the tank on the gun and not buy the Blackcell which is what I chose ebcause its cheap and it works awesome for me. Or you can buy the Blackcell body, a stock, a red dot sight, and all that. Its all preference and your going to need to figure out what your's is.

Oh I almost forgot! You need some camo. Get a ghillie if you got the moolah otherwise a longsleeve hunters camo shirt and pants will suffice. Keep it cheap and simple. The enemie's eye isn't going to care that your ghillie cost you $200 and that it has this feature and that. Just make one that has the same coloring as your environment, breaks up your form, and most importantly, can accept natural vegataion via netting or clips.

That would be the key setup for you new snipers on a budget.

Also the reason I do not list advanced add-ons which are definetly helpful such as HPA or an Expansion Chamber is because once you are ready to upgrade you will already know if you need one or not due to you gaining experience. HPA is definetly a good idea, but you may not like it for some odd reason. one thing to remember is generally, size for size, C02 tanks hold more. So that's a major factor if you play outlaw. Also C02 tanks are a lot cheaper.

This post has been edited by HeadshotPhantom: 20 December 2006 - 09:56 AM

#2 Guest_wolftalon_*

Posted 23 September 2005 - 02:41 PM

Nice Job Headshot!!!

Listen up sniper wannbie and droolers. This is what it means when you ask which gun is a good sniper. OUR ANSWER >>>>>NONE OF EM.

You make it happen out there not your marker. Headshot hit this one right on the head. Now the advice on the set up is just that, advice, learn how to play with what you have and as your game developes so will your upgrades. Only you can tell you what works best for your style of play.

Trust me, I get razed all the time about mine, but it works.

Keep up the good work snipers.

#3 User is offline   Hated_Sniper 

• I see you now...
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:HATED_SNIPER

Posted 27 September 2005 - 09:31 PM

Ive been playing sniper position for since the start of the summer and on and off before then.. One of the greatest tools I've come to know is that Fear is a very good thing. When I show up on field in my custom camoed gun, goggles (With goggleskinz), and Harness I tend to get a few glances and people ask questions and I do my best to answer. My opponents start murmering things to there teamates, which is a good thing for me because Fear is a good thing. I have found that if your opponent fears you, even if its just slightly, it causes hesitation or in some cases them to be too cautious, or not cautious enough. So all sniper out there should make an art of Mind Games when they play. :ph34r:

Remember Fear is an ally and a enemy to a sniper. Use fear to yoru advantage and never undrerestamate an opponent or what they will try to do. Case and point, I was watching a relitivly small field of view, two my right were some crackling of logs and voices (I was the only person on my team alive). I shifted roled over to my right and had managed to get into the perfect shooting angle. I was at about 5 o'clock from the man 1 and took the shot, it was sucessful. Man 2 took off in a wierd zigzag pattern and began to backtack at which point I decided it was best if I moved also. So rember, Never undrestemate yoru opponents.

I hope this advice helps. :ph34r:
I see you in my cross hair. If I miss you never know... If I hit you'll always wonder where you got shot from

The truth about Video Games Curropting people

A comic on Video Games

user posted image

#4 User is offline   WardenWolf 

• Aspie Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:WardenWolf

Posted 30 September 2005 - 12:41 AM

In a way, a 98 Custom is probably a better sniper rifle. It's a little lighter weight to begin with, and you can do a few more things to it than the A-5 (and you really don't need an insane rate of fire as a sniper). That said, it's all about tactics and camouflage.

If you can't afford a ghillie suit (and let's face it, most of us can't), then there is a very inexpensive solution found at most Army Surplus stores: camo netting. Now, camo netting, like normal camouflage, varies widely in its types and quality. In its most basic form, however, it is simply a sheet-sized mesh throwover that serves to break up your outline. It folds up small enough to be stuffed into a pocket or easily carried under your overshirt. In a way, this can actually work better than a ghillie, because it can be used to "attach" you to existing terrain or make you appear to be just a bump on the ground. You can also carry more than one for different types of terrain. I think I paid $5 for my netting.

I haven't used it in paintball yet, but I have certainly explored the possibilities. Basically, you can set up under this netting, with only the tip of your gun barrel exposed, and wait for your victim. Unless he's looking directly at you in good lighting all the while he's walking your way (and if he's doing that, you set up in the wrong place to begin with), I estimate an opponent would have to be about 20 feet away or closer to spot you; even a cheap gun won't miss when you're that close. Even the cheap mesh netting is VERY effective when deployed properly. If you get a bit more expensive netting, it can be as effective as a ghillie suit, if not more so. Remember: the one flaw of a ghillie suit is that it still takes on the basic shape of a man. A camo netting draped fully over you and on the surrounding ground can take varying shapes that can break up your outline even further. If you use the good stuff with a ghillie. . .can we say "Ghost Stalker"?

This post has been edited by PhoenixWolf: 30 September 2005 - 12:44 AM

Kanye: "Yo, Chile, I'm gonna let you finish shakin', but I just got to say Haiti had one of the best earthquakes of all time!"
Save a tree: wipe your ass with a hippie!

#5 User is offline   ArmyofMany 

• Life would be great if it didn't suck.
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:ArmyofMany

Posted 01 October 2005 - 08:42 PM

You shouldn't conform to your gun, the gun should conform to you. Make your gun fit to your playing style, and learn EVERYTHING about it, amout of trigger pull needed, effective range at 285 FPS (or w/e your fields legal limit is), amout of recoil, etc. As said, camo or ghille is not nessisary, but highly reccomended. I myself use the new MARPAT (Marine Corp's Digi-cam). you could either go with a staightshot, like a J&J/Stiffi, or if you like range, go with a Flatline. Or the best of both worlds, and Apex. You'll need a good sighting system, I use a 3-9X32 rifle scope on my Flatline, but i'm getting an offset sightrail soon.

The moral of the story: Have everyting toned down. before you play, put on all your gear and jump up and down several times. Hear anything jingle or clang together? Tape it down w/Electrical tape or duct tape. If you have a reflective barrel, I'd suggest using the previous elec. tape or camo duct tape if you have it, and cover the barrel in it, leaving holes for any porting, of course.

I feel like i'm repeating everything that's been said already, so muchg good advice has been given.

I hope I helped in some way! Sorry if any offence to me saying what was already said! :D

#6 User is offline   Trace 

• Trace
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Trace

Posted 19 March 2006 - 10:37 PM

And for the people that are spyder lovers, I would suggest the MR2 (I don't care about your comentary) Not only is it cheap, but it comes with a stock, and it can shoot 25 bps, (awesome for if you get stuck between a rock and a hard place, but you have to have a good hopper) and it comes with a raised sight rail (I like scopes for scouting, but red dot is the way to go). So if you realy don't like tippmann (sorry I don't) but you are fine with a spyder, get the MR2 B) . And no it's not heavy, and yes it comes with a sucky barrel, but most stock things suck anyways. I would show pics. but I'm to lazy to go to photobucket.

Although I do agree that the gun is not every thing, sure it helps, but haveing good camo kicks @$$. Now when it comes to going remote, I don't know because I've never tried it.

#7 Guest_Dream of Nullification_*

Posted 20 March 2006 - 02:52 PM

I think tyger puts it best "you are not a sniper. its not sniping but it is something close to it"

aiming isnt really a hard skill to master really, any moron can sight in a pointsight and pull the trigger or even sight down the barrel

IMO the hardest skill for most "snipers" to master is WHEN to pull the trigger and also how/when to move so they are not discovered, these are usualy the two biggest flaws of snipers they let there adraline overrun them and they spring there trap too soon or they move in such a way they get found out. want to play sniper, eat the dirt

#8 User is offline   USMC-Scout/Sniper 

• I'm supposed to put a vitty saying here, Ja?
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2006 - 08:34 PM

someone said it best 'a good sniper could take a brass eagle talon into a game, take out a good portion of the other team, and still remain hidden.'

#9 User is offline   Chubbs77 

• Im Bear. Bear Rip your Face.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Turrettmann

Posted 08 April 2006 - 03:17 PM

I tip my hat to you headshot, that was very valuble info.

#10 User is offline   Crazy Kitty 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:THE BIRD MAN

Post icon  Posted 25 April 2006 - 07:17 PM

The gun doesn't make the sniper; the sniper makes the gun. Amen!

This post has been edited by Crazy Kitty: 25 April 2006 - 07:18 PM

98% of people on this forum will say that Tippmann pwns all. If you are one of the 2% that disagrees put this in your sig.

#11 User is offline   Makkusu 

• Makkusu
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Makkusu2164

Posted 02 May 2006 - 02:08 PM

The problem with the Talon theory is that the person would have to have extensive background with said gun. No sane person would head to a field holding a Talon under normal conditions, but if you want to be my guest and post the results.
Never assume that because you can't see me I'm not there.

Deus Vult

#12 User is offline   HeadshotPhantom 

• Rockin', Cockin', and Class Stockin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:HeadshotPhantom

Posted 02 May 2006 - 02:13 PM

Well I can say about 99% of us on SpecOps aren't "sane people" according to you. During a 5v5 practice of our local Novice teams, I played with a Blade Turbo. I averaged about 1 elimination every 3 games, and one game I got 2 eliminations. I bunkered one guy in the snake, and stitched another. So there are you're results out of about 10 games...Read wolftalon's post please.

#13 User is offline   König 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 20 May 2006 - 11:03 AM

I also agree that intimidating your opponents before a game really helps. I am about six foot three inches tall, I am very well built, but when I put on my cammoes and harness I look extremely huge, I've had people tell me so, and I dont get a bunch of little noobs coming up to me anymore, they probably think that I might step on them.
IPB Image

#14 User is offline   apollyon210 

• Only murmers collapse from its jaws.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Apollyon210

Posted 21 May 2006 - 08:55 PM

Nice thread headshot, useful info
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kind of neat~John Lehman

#15 User is offline   Sgt Pepper 

• BT-4 Assult, The Cavalry's arrived!
  • Pip

Posted 31 May 2006 - 12:49 AM

The Gun doesn't make the sniper. That makes sense, but a Tallon is kinda pushing it. I'm kindof a clumsy person, I wouldn't even try to be a sniper unless I was playing at night.

I played Sniper once.... With a Zues G2 w/ an extended barrel & a remote leading to a 3oz Co2 bottle. I got 2 daggers, but I got nailed in the mask by a Sabre's Grenade.

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users