Special Ops Paintball: A Commanders gear set up - Special Ops Paintball

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A Commanders gear set up What do you carry for the field or what you may need. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   BIGBOSS_202 

• BIGBOSS_202
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:BIGBOSS_202

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:33 AM

Acording to the Woodsball Revolution DVD, a commander carries a light gear kit and a medium primary marker and potentialy a sidearm.

For me as a commander, there is no real vest for the position that's made by SO, we have to deturmin for ourselfs about what type of vest we'd like.

My gear: I usualy run with a Blackcell Oprative V2 with a 24oz tank on my back between a pair of SO, 2+1 pouches. On my pistolbelt I carry 4 military surplus LC-2 ammo pouches that each carry a 100 round tube. Posted Image

My Marker: I'm now using a Tippmann X7 with a responce trigger, red dot sight on a sight riser, vertical front grip, 6 position retractable stock, and a laser sight for CQB.

Other Gear: I some times play renagade games on fields that have no staff or anything like that. A spare parts kit and cleaning gear for your markers is a must aswell as all the paint and air tanks that you can carry. For those renagade games, I usualy haul all my air and paint in a surplus medium LC-2 ruck sack because it can carry alot and the pack is durable enough for the most brutal woodsball play.

What kind of gear do you guys carry and please post pics if you have them.
JOIN THE WOODSBALL REVOLUTION

#2 User is offline   Saifoda2 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Saifoda

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:23 PM

Just curious, why are you running with four m-16 mags on a pistol belt?
Proud to be sponsored by: REDZ, Warpaint International, VPSByte, Action Acres, Dangerous Power
Leaders Lead from the Front

#3 User is offline   BIGBOSS_202 

• BIGBOSS_202
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 February 2009 - 01:44 PM

I have those on my vest for those sitchuations were I can't reach the 140's on my back. The belt also keeps my vest stable and has a cool tactical look and the pouches also carry each a 100 round pod and adds a cool mil-sim look

#4 User is offline   MaDuce 

• Grab your gun and bring the cat in.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MaDuce

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:46 PM

It's been a loooong time since I've played with my "team," if you really want to call it that. For the last year I've been playing walk-on. Because I wear camo, I usually get a handfull of noobs following me, until someone wearing camo and a tactical vest shows up. Then, they follow him. :D

If I end up playing with some experienced players, I usually am asked to command a "fireteam." This is where I do most of my so-called commanding.

Anywho, I have no use for sidearms. Unless I'm using one as a primary weapon. (In fact, it might be better for commanders to use pistols, because it would force you to play with a more cautious mindset.) I use a Flurry Specialsist Harness. (You can find my review with pictures under "topics" in my profile. It's a 4+3 vertical pod pack. Very light and low profile, and extremely well-made. If it's a long game, I'll strap on a Camelback with various squeegees, barrel socks and rags zipped inside.

I think it's best for commanders to stay as light as possible. You'll be doing alot of moving to and from your squadmates. You can't afford to get tired.

That being said, you seems to go with a "better be safe than sorry" approach and your vest has everything. It looks good; surprisingly not very bulky.
"Its very hard to grasp the idea at first but once you accept it, it makes A LOT of sense!" -- Minnesota Sn1p3r on conspiracy theories
"Everyone instantly jumps the conclusion that the government is out to get us." -- SWAT SAINT
"Bad Duce, bad." -- Ace-014
"Good man, Duce, good man." -- Tryon
"Also accepting female snipers." -- Lt.Col.Vortex

#5 User is offline   BIGBOSS_202 

• BIGBOSS_202
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:34 AM

I'd view a sidarm as a secondary weapon in a tactical stichuations. I'd like to think my set up is primed for operational flexibleaty and to carry as much fire power as possible. Some may consider my set up to be comprible to a hammer or broadsword.

#6 User is offline   sipbgod94 

• proud pistol toter
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:26 AM

Big boss I always seem to come across your posts on position based stuff and this time I think I should just go for it. . . You really shouldn't worry so much about positions and just play the game your already being hindered by worrying about buying a specific vest for your position. Just get out there and play how you want to play man and have fun doing it that's what the sport is all about.
Resident Lax know-all, got a lacrosse related question ask here.

#7 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 February 2009 - 12:51 PM

I have two different formats for command.

One is a very light setup (Forge vest in stock class config) with a pump, pistol, or bow.

The other is a setup for a semi where I carry a hopper + 6x140 pods (scenario/big game) or a pod or two (regular game).

Either way, I have a radio on hand for major events, and that's about it. I'll sometimes carry a sidearm, but more often than not, when I use a pistol, it's as my primary.
Member of Team Akkadian

#8 User is offline   rcp_90 

• RECON!
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:rcp_90

Posted 22 February 2009 - 12:56 PM

I don't buy too much into somebody telling me a commander has to have a certain setup. It's very dependent on your team dynamic.

I've got an Sp-8, and I just bought 2 pistols. They're of limited use, but you've got to admit that a pistol and/or dual wielding just looks completely awesome. Part of being in charge is establishing why you should be in charge, and if you look domineering, people respect it.

I use a UTG tactical vest, remote my gun with a 68/45 N2 tank. I usually go out with as many pods as I can fit on it. I don't know why a commander can't be heavily equipped. I understand you've got to be in charge and blah blah blah, but that doesn't mean you can't shoot anything! Besides, hanging back in the rear (if that's your play style), you can put down some murderous suppressive fire if you feel so inclined.

This post has been edited by rcp_90: 22 February 2009 - 12:57 PM

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

#9 User is offline   BIGBOSS_202 

• BIGBOSS_202
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:37 AM

I'm not letting myself be held down be what the spec ops movie said about what a commander should carry. I run from my own experience and I feel that you can never have enough ammo. Especialy you play outlaw games like I mostly do.

#10 User is offline   Blackout007 

• Cpt Blackout
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Blackout007

Posted 25 February 2009 - 04:31 AM

My gear:

8 pod Tactical Scenario Vest by Opsgear
88cc Pure Energy N2 Tank - vertical on vest
Remote line
TM7 and M-Tac (I switch between, but prefer the TM7's size as a commander, M-Tac more of a SAW gunner to me due to its 28 BPS rof)
3 point tactical sling

Gear is gear, The TM7 or the M-Tac as a primaray weapon. I prefer the TM7 because the price and it allows for a SL or a TL to change their ROF based on situational awareness and the weight is nice. Generally the ammo you carry should be based on your "mission" as should your weapon.

I prefer longevity in a game and staying power with my team, if you have a comfortable vest, weight shouldn't matter TOO much in terms of number of pods. I have yet to purchase a sidearm, was thinking of a Tac8 however its more astectics than function to me since a stationary gunner position or sniper would have better use for a pistol sidearm but hey, you never know. :D

Personal preference is a squad of 9, x1 squad leader and x2 Team leaders. Using hand signals/shouting/radios. If your a SL I'd say your calling most of the shots and need to be where your squad needs the most fire support (one of the fireteams, dont go solo you lose tactical advantage as a commander). :D

Good Hunting,

Cpt Blackout
Knight Hawk Coalition

This post has been edited by Blackout007: 25 February 2009 - 04:34 AM

Join The Knight Hawk Coalition

#11 User is offline   teacher 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:merlin1

Posted 25 February 2009 - 11:41 AM

One thing that has not been mentioned much but is essential to a "team leader" or "commander" is a great radio. Without that, you really don't have much to lead. Otherwise I stay light. The way our team is usually set up involves me being the leader as weel as the reinforcements for someone who is pinned down or a fireteam that is in trouble. That requires running and a lot of it. I only carry 4 pods, air, and of course, my radio.

#12 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 February 2009 - 12:36 PM

View PostBlackout007, on Feb 25 2009, 05:31 AM, said:

My gear:

8 pod Tactical Scenario Vest by Opsgear
88cc Pure Energy N2 Tank - vertical on vest
Remote line
TM7 and M-Tac (I switch between, but prefer the TM7's size as a commander, M-Tac more of a SAW gunner to me due to its 28 BPS rof)
3 point tactical sling

Off topic, but I envy you that you have the cash flow to be able to afford both.

On topic, I can carry heavy or light, and my role varies depending on if it's a big game/scenario or if it's a walk-on standard CTF game.

During walk-ons, I tend to be the team's "sneaky guy" who gets the flag and makes the opponent guard an empty base. During big games/scenarios, I usually wind up taking on a bunch of players outside my team and become one of the ranking officers of the side. To date, this has taken me as far as XO and I'm hoping for a generalcy soon enough.
Member of Team Akkadian

#13 User is offline   Saifoda2 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Saifoda

Posted 25 February 2009 - 04:10 PM

View Postteacher, on Feb 25 2009, 10:41 AM, said:

One thing that has not been mentioned much but is essential to a "team leader" or "commander" is a great radio.

Good catch. The radio is, however, just a tool. Some might say "you forgot the map" or "you forgot the compass," although not as popular or as common for field commanders as a radio, they are tools just like a radio. If you're the commander of a team of 4 or less (fireteam or what not) and your team's playing style is to play together, then a radio becomes more of a nuisance than an asset.
Proud to be sponsored by: REDZ, Warpaint International, VPSByte, Action Acres, Dangerous Power
Leaders Lead from the Front

#14 User is offline   Bl33din' Aces 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Spartan Ops

Posted 25 February 2009 - 07:54 PM

Yeah, works better if you have the ear peaces to the radios. That way you don't give your position, because those radios are really loud.

Our Victory is imminent. Welcome to the Spartan Ops Dream!

#15 User is offline   Blackout007 

• Cpt Blackout
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Blackout007

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:54 PM

View PostBl33din, on Feb 25 2009, 09:54 PM, said:

Yeah, works better if you have the ear peaces to the radios. That way you don't give your position, because those radios are really loud.

Radios the KHC uses:

Midland LXT330VP3 22-Channel 16-Mile GMRS 2-Way Radio (Pair) - $30.39
Midland AVPH5 Behind the Head Headsets (Pair) $18.23
Prices off of amazon.com

Note: We prefer boom mics simply because firefox is ;) and booms are more "reliable" :) Reliable being a relative term as I'll demonstrate. :laugh:

I use radios in my squad for doing more clandestine and daring maneuvers where timeing is important. I don't rely on them however, handsignals and visual communication still works just great, radios allow for a greater range.

Reminds me of last practice, I had the fire teams go head to to head for a trainning exercise, Alpha leader decided to setup a daring flank against Bravo team using his radios, however unbeknownst to alpha leader, one of his guys accidently changed the channel on his radio...Alpha team split too far apart and ended up on on opposite ends of the field. Bravo team stuck togeather using the ever helpful bounding overwatch and quickly found Alpha's split element and with fire superiority, quickly eliminated them without losses.

I ended the trainning exercise right there and called out all teams to rally....Alpha leader didn't even know his guys had been taken out. The lesson of the day and for anyone, don't rely on radios, they are handy when they work but keeping keen visuals is worth it's salt.

As for maps and compass, also great catch, they definatly work their wonders for you when your in unfamiliar territory, learning rough map making and scales+topographics using your compass is also a good skill if you have any scouts on your team.

Good Hunting,

Cpt Blackout
Knight Hawk Coalition

This post has been edited by Blackout007: 25 February 2009 - 08:59 PM

Join The Knight Hawk Coalition

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users