Special Ops Paintball: How do you make a home-made ghillie suit? - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How do you make a home-made ghillie suit? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Sheepdogg 

• Sheepdog
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Sheepdogg

Posted 26 September 2007 - 06:31 PM

Hey, this is sheepdogg. played my first day as sniper a while ago and wore a camo jumpsiut. I made a temporary ghillie by covering myself with straw and leaves. It worked really well, guys looked dead at me and didn't see me. But I want something that will really make me invisible. I don't have $100 dollars to spend on some fancy action ghillie ;) , but I do have my grandma who can sew really good and a jumpsuit. Any suggestions?
Beware of the Sheepdog

#2 User is offline   C.Hathcock 

• Woodsballer!!
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:C.Hatcock

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:49 PM

View PostSheepdogg, on Sep 26 2007, 08:31 PM, said:

Hey, this is sheepdogg. played my first day as sniper a while ago and wore a camo jumpsiut. I made a temporary ghillie by covering myself with straw and leaves. It worked really well, guys looked dead at me and didn't see me. But I want something that will really make me invisible. I don't have $100 dollars to spend on some fancy action ghillie :ghillie: , but I do have my grandma who can sew really good and a jumpsuit. Any suggestions?

First you would want to start out witha netting material. Then form it to the shape of the suit or jacket/pants. Do so by tying it, really well. Next either order a burlap kit or get your own burlap and dye it yourself.You need green black and brown. All of which the percentage used is based on the terrain you are playing. Next seperate the burlap material and start tying it on, and take your time with the grouping of colors, otherwise it will look awfull. After you are satisfied, you can put a bit of natural brush on it when you get into the field.
Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state. -Thomas Jefferson

#3 User is offline   SpudCrushr 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 September 2007 - 10:06 PM

Step 1. Gorilla glue netting onto your jump suit. (pre cut the netting first) 1x1 inch netting works well.
2.Tie different colors of cloth like frayed burlap, jute, and other rags onto the netting
3. Mix some fresh vegitation into the suit for better camo
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   C.Hathcock 

• Woodsballer!!
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:C.Hatcock

Posted 26 September 2007 - 10:21 PM

View PostSpudCrushr, on Sep 27 2007, 12:06 AM, said:

Step 1. Gorilla glue netting onto your jump suit. (pre cut the netting first) 1x1 inch netting works well.
2.Tie different colors of cloth like frayed burlap, jute, and other rags onto the netting

Did'nt think about the gorilla glue, great idea.
Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state. -Thomas Jefferson

#5 User is offline   G36C 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:G36C

Posted 27 September 2007 - 11:27 AM

join the army to learn how to make the best possible ghillie, they'll even show you how to use it right lol
A5 I Opsgear SAW Shroud I Opsgear SAW Drum Mag I Opsgear SAW Stock I Opsgear 16" M4 Barrel I APE v2.0 Egrip I Techted Cyclone I Polished Internals I X7 Hopper I Tasco 30mm Red Dot I Palmers A5 Stabilizer I Tiberius Arms Fore Grip I

#6 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mime

Posted 27 September 2007 - 01:41 PM

ok, for you. Talk to your grandmother about burlap or jute. ask if she can help you out.
Grandmothers with needles are more usfull then half the NATO defences. lol
go to home depot or Canadian tire and ask them about netting. tell them your situation and ask them if they know anybody that could pssible help them more. ( basic thing. get a big lenth of netting. Ask your grandmother again to help you sew on the netting to the suit so its right on. ( dont stand there either. do it and have her help you. so you learn) next after you have your netted clothing. go back to the burlap and jute question. most craft stores ( wal-mart too) should have burlap. go get at least 8 feet of it and go back to grandma's once again figure out a way to place the burlap so its most effective.

( Ask somebody else about dying the burlap )
just my idea

#7 User is offline   HEINEKIN 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:HEINEKIN

Posted 27 September 2007 - 02:05 PM

you are playing paintball right? so you probablt dont want to use burlap, unless you like clumps, and replacing strands and a lot of work on it. things that will probably work a lot better is to rip strips of material of different colors and sew that on. or see if you can gey some camo netting like the military uses to hide vehicles. (probably the easiest way to get a hold of this is to get it it a repair kit from a surplus store) either of those options are much easier to clean if you get hit. like i said burlap will clump up if its hit with paint. its very flamable. and it burns realy hot! the other options are less easy to catch fire, but loose threads ar gonna catch fire easier then regular clothes. a lot of people recomment the cammie netting cause its easy to clean and it looks similae to leaves or digi camo from a distance.

good luck

#8 User is offline   Feathers 

• GM1 (SW)
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Feathers

Posted 28 September 2007 - 01:06 PM

Firstly, sewing is much better in this case than glue. The cloth flexes too much (and you want it to flex) for the glue to be terribly permanant. THis thing will be getting wet, sweaty, muddy, and whatever else. While Gorilla glue might be waterproof - when you are washing this thing you are just asking for things to go south if your netting is glued.

You have your jumpsuit - get 100% nylon netting (as mentioned before, 1" x 1" works great), and when your grandma is tacking this netting onto your jumpsuit in the general shape of your jumpsuit, tell her to use 100% nylon thread (or upholstry thread). The reason you want to use nylon is that it won't change dimensions on you like cotton will. Poly/ cotton is a great all-purpose material and thread, but for these kinds of application - you want nylon. A good rule of thumb to follow is one tack every other cross section - that is - the netting should be pointed on to your jumpsuit once every other '+' joint on your netting.

Next, you want burlap, cotton, and jute in the colors that you can match to your environment to *tie* onto your netting base. People that do this kind of thing for a living have three or four ghille suits matched to their environment for each season during the year. :happy: Making a 'one camo fits all' ghille suit doesn't work too well, but it also sounds like you don't have the cash to build four suits, either. If you get really into ghille and what not - you'll have to re-work your suit every two to three months to keep up with the change of the seasons - but done right - no amount of money can by what a good hand-made ghille suit can do fr you.

-Feathers
'To be prepared for the eventuality of war, is one of the most effective means of preserving peace.' - Gen. George W. Washington, 1st President of the United States.

#9 User is offline   Warpaint 

• "Well...Shall We?"
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Warpaint537

Posted 28 September 2007 - 01:58 PM

View PostSheepdogg, on Sep 26 2007, 09:31 PM, said:

Hey, this is sheepdogg. played my first day as sniper a while ago and wore a camo jumpsiut. I made a temporary ghillie by covering myself with straw and leaves. It worked really well, guys looked dead at me and didn't see me. But I want something that will really make me invisible. I don't have $100 dollars to spend on some fancy action ghillie :D , but I do have my grandma who can sew really good and a jumpsuit. Any suggestions?

First, no ghillie is going to make you invisible, and you always have to improvise your ghillie to blend into local cover.

If you're making a military style bushrag ghillie, use a camo jumpsuit and a boonie. If you plan to do a lot of crawling, a military style ghillie is probably the best option for you. The single piece construction helps to keep debris and insects our of the suit. If you go this route, you should sew and glue netting onto the areas of the jumpsuit that will not come into contact with the ground when you are prone, such as elbows, inside of arms, torso, hips, tops of thighs, and shins. The areas that come into ground contact should have leather patches sewn on. Some people wear elbow and knee pads, which works well, too. You can use a two-piece BDU, just expect more debris to get into it, especially the front of your pants. You don't need to sew or glue the netting onto the boonie, the headband loops will secure the netting well enough, just make sure you don't tie the netting on too tightly so the boonie still sits squarely on your head.

After the netting is attached, you need to tie on the bushrag. Depending on the cover where you expect to use the ghillie, you will tie the bushrag on in various lengths, about 10-20 strands per knot, and in different sized and colored patches, leaving some space for locally improvised foliage to attach when you are in the field. As you work towards your hand and feet, the lengths should be a little shorter so they don't wrap up your hands, or trip up your feet. I recommend trying the suit on several times so you see if bushrag is going to get in your way where you apply it. Several websites offer bushrag ghillie materials and instructions, with prices running from about $50 for do-it-yourself kits, to hundreds of dollars for synthetic pre-built suits.

I made a bushrag ghillie poncho for paintball, which works better than a jumpsuit or BDU ghillie because it is smaller to carry in an ALICE pack into the field where I throw it on, easier and faster to get in and out of, required no glue or sewing, allows me to run when necessary, and I can wear a vest, LBV, waist pouches, or a butt pouch under it. It covers my head, shoulders, top of arms, back, and legs when prone, but stays off the ground when upright stalking. If you go with any style of bushrag ghillie, be sure to apply a fire retardant after each use, or once a year, as it is very flammable. I hear that a couple of tablespoons of Arm & Hammer baking soda mixed with a pint of water and sprayed on ghillies works well, but I haven't tried that yet. I must say, the fire retardant mix I use looks and smells suspiciously the same.

Making your own ghillie is good practice for exercising your patience, and a good activity for in front of the TV. I built mine at night during a camping vacation...not too close to the fire, of course. You can do it with your Grannie while she's knitting, and have a nice chat, too. Grannies always have lots of stories! Take care, and have fun.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." ~ Edmund Burke ~ "Well...shall we?" ~ Hoot, Black Hawk Down
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   lightemup99 

• Born Paintballer
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:lightemup99

Posted 28 September 2007 - 04:35 PM

All these posts above are great but just so you know a ghille suit DOES NOT MAKE YOU INVISIBLE its how you use the ghille suit that makes you invisible

#11 User is offline   Warpaint 

• "Well...Shall We?"
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Warpaint537

Posted 28 September 2007 - 04:38 PM

View PostWarpaint, on Sep 28 2007, 04:58 PM, said:

...no ghillie is going to make you invisible...

View Postlightemup99, on Sep 28 2007, 07:35 PM, said:

...a ghille suit DOES NOT MAKE YOU INVISIBLE...

Is there an echo in here? :D
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." ~ Edmund Burke ~ "Well...shall we?" ~ Hoot, Black Hawk Down
Posted Image

#12 User is offline   Sheepdogg 

• Sheepdog
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Sheepdogg

Posted 28 September 2007 - 08:15 PM

yes, I know it isn't going to make me invisible, just using an expression.
Beware of the Sheepdog

#13 User is offline   Marine Scout Sniper 

• Digitaly Sniping one shot at a time
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:scoutsniper777

Posted 28 September 2007 - 08:50 PM

View PostC.Hathcock, on Sep 27 2007, 12:21 AM, said:

View PostSpudCrushr, on Sep 27 2007, 12:06 AM, said:

Did'nt think about the gorilla glue, great idea.

It's very handy and very strong.

View PostG36C, on Sep 27 2007, 01:27 PM, said:

join the army to learn how to make the best possible ghillie, they'll even show you how to use it right lol

*Cough* Sniper's Field Manual *Cough*

View PostEskimo, on Sep 27 2007, 03:41 PM, said:

ok, for you. Talk to your grandmother about burlap or jute. ask if she can help you out.
Grandmothers with needles are more usfull then half the NATO defences. lol
go to home depot or Canadian tire and ask them about netting. tell them your situation and ask them if they know anybody that could pssible help them more. ( basic thing. get a big lenth of netting. Ask your grandmother again to help you sew on the netting to the suit so its right on. ( dont stand there either. do it and have her help you. so you learn) next after you have your netted clothing. go back to the burlap and jute question. most craft stores ( wal-mart too) should have burlap. go get at least 8 feet of it and go back to grandma's once again figure out a way to place the burlap so its most effective.

( Ask somebody else about dying the burlap )
just my idea

My dad taught me to sow. I sow all my MARPAT patches on by hand. He learned from my grandfather and I think he learned from his mother (my great grandmother) so He could patch up his own clothes.

View PostSheepdogg, on Sep 28 2007, 10:15 PM, said:

yes, I know it isn't going to make me invisible, just using an expression.

A bad one to use in dis forum :laugh:

Praise and Complaint Dept. (feedback) Digitally Dangerous [Cocker Owner #77] A5 RT Operator

#14 User is offline   Dermeister 

• The_Masterer
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Dermeister

Posted 26 October 2007 - 02:41 PM

^^ ha this topic is funny. not like stupid funny, but funny comments. "Grandmothers with needles are more useful than NATO" haha good stuff.

but anyway, search google, i found a really nice site with step by step directions and a list of supplies needed, lets see if i can find it again. its been a while.

This Is Where We FIGHT!
S.O.F.A Special Ops Forums are Awesome #2 & CEO

#15 User is offline   Dermeister 

• The_Masterer
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Dermeister

Posted 26 October 2007 - 02:45 PM

hmmm found it!

dam im good
http://www.geocities...ker217/ghillie/ gives a history..and all kinds of neat stuff

This Is Where We FIGHT!
S.O.F.A Special Ops Forums are Awesome #2 & CEO

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users